ImageImageImageImageImage

Masai/Leiweke Press Conference (Recap P31, Video P40)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Masai/Leiweke Press Conference (Recap P31, Video P40) 

Post#1 » by Asif16 » Mon Jun 3, 2013 4:02 pm

Mods feel free to close but i just wanted to know if there was a Press conference scheduled yet for Ujiri and on which day??

I havent been on here for a while so i dont know if i missed it.

Thanks
Jval17
Banned User
And1: 80

Re: Ujiri Press conference? 

Post#2 » by Jval17 » Mon Jun 3, 2013 4:07 pm

Edit: Confirmed via Jay Satur, conference is on tuesday
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,964

Post#3 » by MEDIC » Mon Jun 3, 2013 4:12 pm

Wolstat just tweeted tomorrow at 11:00am.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
aligator
Assistant Coach
And1: 432

Post#4 » by aligator » Mon Jun 3, 2013 4:13 pm

I was wondering the same thing myself. I am sure many are awaiting this news. Hopefully, it will be posted as soon as it is known along with info as to where it can be viewed.
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#5 » by Asif16 » Mon Jun 3, 2013 4:14 pm

kk thnx guys. Just saw the wolstat tweet. Tomm it is!
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,540

Masai/Leiweke Press Conference Tues 11am 

Post#6 » by DG88 » Mon Jun 3, 2013 4:16 pm

Josh Lewenberg ‏@JLew1050 2m
#Raptors GM Masai Ujiri and MLSE CEO Tim Leiweke will meet with the media at 11am on Tuesday
wtcantfw
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,578

Re: Masai/Leiweke Press Conference Tues 11am 

Post#7 » by wtcantfw » Mon Jun 3, 2013 4:19 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/WolstatSun/status/341587336867508224[/tweet]
lander
Veteran
And1: 768

Post#8 » by lander » Mon Jun 3, 2013 4:19 pm

Glad it's Tuesday and not Wednesday.
OhMyBosh
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,206

Post#9 » by OhMyBosh » Mon Jun 3, 2013 4:19 pm

Will be interesting to see what the plan is for 2013-2014. I would fully support a substantial rebuild next year if it means purging toxic assets.
lander
Veteran
And1: 768

Post#10 » by lander » Mon Jun 3, 2013 4:20 pm

Lol Doug broke this too. What's with him being right lately
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,415

Post#11 » by Rapsfan07 » Mon Jun 3, 2013 4:22 pm

This will probably be one of the most important press conferences we'll see in a very long time.

The most important thing the can disclose is the direction this team is headed in. We'll see if Leiweke is serious about all this championship team talk
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#12 » by Double Helix » Mon Jun 3, 2013 4:25 pm

I can't imagine any scenario where he doesn't talk about big changes coming but unless he gets into specifically discussing whether he sees Rudy, Kyle, Amir, etc as pieices worth adding to, or outright states that this team needs to get much worse before it gets better... I'm sure everybody will interpret what he says differently than the next.

We're talking about a guy who refused to take years off and rebuild via the lottery when faced with trading a franchise talent in Carmelo Anthony. He obviously believes in his trading ability. I'll be very surprised if he gives any strong indication that he intends to tear the team down and rebuild via the draft at this press conference.
mowe
Pro Prospect
And1: 578

Post#13 » by mowe » Mon Jun 3, 2013 4:40 pm

Really hope the media clearly asks them are we tanking or going for playoffs. Tanking would require more work getting rid of Gay, Lowry, etc but the payoff in the long run would theoretically be higher. But with Ujiri's smarts he could also choose to pull off some trades to make the Raptors a 5-6 seed and who knows what happens from there.
raptorfan416
Banned User
And1: 172

Post#14 » by raptorfan416 » Mon Jun 3, 2013 4:40 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:This will probably be one of the most important press conferences we'll see in a very long time.

The most important thing the can disclose is the direction this team is headed in. We'll see if Leiweke is serious about all this championship team talk
you mean playoff's talk ? championship and toronto is a pipe dream.. this city has a hex on it when it comes to sports.
StMikes31
Banned User
And1: 591

Post#15 » by StMikes31 » Mon Jun 3, 2013 4:44 pm

Double Helix wrote:I can't imagine any scenario where he doesn't talk about big changes coming but unless he gets into specifically discussing whether he sees Rudy, Kyle, Amir, etc as pieices worth adding to, or outright states that this team needs to get much worse before it gets better... I'm sure everybody will interpret what he says differently than the next.

We're talking about a guy who refused to take years off and rebuild via the lottery when faced with trading a franchise talent in Carmelo Anthony. He obviously believes in his trading ability. I'll be very surprised if he gives any strong indication that he intends to tear the team down and rebuild via the draft at this press conference.

The Melo trade was pretty linear in which Melo only wanted to go to one team and get extended with that same team. He wasn't going to get any picks from the Knicks, only solid players.
CoachJReturns
RealGM
And1: 10,535

Post#16 » by CoachJReturns » Mon Jun 3, 2013 5:20 pm

Come on boys. Talk TANK TANK TANK TANK.
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#17 » by Rhettmatic » Mon Jun 3, 2013 5:21 pm

I hope our media tries hard to get clear answers on the immediate direction of the team, even if Masai is unlikely to give them up.

I also hope those clear answers involve rebuilding.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
Korr
Veteran
And1: 1,367

Post#18 » by Korr » Mon Jun 3, 2013 5:27 pm

mowe wrote:Really hope the media clearly asks them are we tanking or going for playoffs. Tanking would require more work getting rid of Gay, Lowry, etc but the payoff in the long run would theoretically be higher. But with Ujiri's smarts he could also choose to pull off some trades to make the Raptors a 5-6 seed and who knows what happens from there.

?

Why would he say we're tanking next season? He would be basically telling the fans to not come to the games and skip next season altogether.

Even if he was planning on tanking, he's gonna say we're reconstructing the team while putting a good product on the floor - just like he did in Denver.
OhMyBosh
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,206

Post#19 » by OhMyBosh » Mon Jun 3, 2013 5:35 pm

Korr wrote:
mowe wrote:Really hope the media clearly asks them are we tanking or going for playoffs. Tanking would require more work getting rid of Gay, Lowry, etc but the payoff in the long run would theoretically be higher. But with Ujiri's smarts he could also choose to pull off some trades to make the Raptors a 5-6 seed and who knows what happens from there.

?

Why would he say we're tanking next season? He would be basically telling the fans to not come to the games and skip next season altogether.

Even if he was planning on tanking, he's gonna say we're reconstructing the team while putting a good product on the floor - just like he did in Denver.

Fans would be more connected to the team when there is a clear direction. Colangelo sold each year as if the stars would align. The season might start well with the hype under BC, but after about a week, even fans would realize it's just smoke.

If there is a clear effort to build a foundation with Jonas, and that serious efforts will be made to purge personnel that won't be coming for the ride, I don't think fans will be impartial to another rebuild. It's the treadmilling with no purpose that drives fans away.
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#20 » by Rhettmatic » Mon Jun 3, 2013 5:40 pm

Korr wrote:

?

Likely true to a certain extent, but he might want to correctly calibrate fan expectations. If he and Leiweke have decided that a tear-down is in order, I would expect Masai to preach patience and mention that the goal is to eventually compete for championships, not to necessarily make the playoffs immediately.

There are tactful ways he could tip his hand toward selling off the veterans and starting from scratch -- still not sure if he'll be inclined to share that if it is his philosophy, but I think we'll be able to gather clues.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.

Return to Toronto Raptors