ImageImageImageImageImage

Toronto Raptors* Might Sign Vassilis Spanoulis

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Re: Toronto Raptors* Might Sign Vassilis Spanoulis 

Post#21 » by basketball royalty » Wed Jul 3, 2013 1:11 am

If we are targeting him I would think it was to be Lowrys backup not to replace him.
props to Turbozone for the sig
PD28
General Manager
And1: 13,414

Post#22 » by PD28 » Wed Jul 3, 2013 1:15 am

Anyone know what the rift was between him and Jeff?
interbasket
Banned User
And1: 24

Post#23 » by interbasket » Wed Jul 3, 2013 1:18 am

Regression2u wrote:
interbasket wrote:
Regression2u wrote:Sign Dimitris Diamantidis instead... great to tryout a guy on a small contract during a tank year

If Raptors are looking for a point guard from Europe, Diamantidis is not an option. He cannot and does not defend the one position. He has been defending the 2 and 3 positions in Europe for many years now. He's not able to defend at the 1 position in Europe, because he is too slow.

He is more like a point forward. Besides that, he is getting old and he has really slowed down in the last couple of years. This season he was only playing good in certain times of the season. I think he is nearing the end of his physical abilities.

He is one of the 3 best players in Europe, but he is not able to defend the 1 and he is declining and getting too old. There are better options than him in Europe if Raptors is looking there for some rotation point guard.

Raptors aren't about defense tho. Rudy can compensate at his position. DD needs work. Calderon couldn't defend a statue anyway... Diamantidis can't be any worse.

Diamantidis is much too slow to guard point guards in Europe. So yes, I think using him as a point guard on defense in NBA would be really huge mistake. He would be a good option if you had a small, quick, fast athletic 2 guard to defend the one playing next to him. Otherwise, no.
Y0DA
Rookie
And1: 187

Post#24 » by Y0DA » Wed Jul 3, 2013 1:20 am

PD28 wrote:Anyone know what the rift was between him and Jeff?

JVG said Spanoulis wouldn't even try to play defence and blamed everyone but himself for his poor play. He said he has no problem with Spanoulis and that if he would limit his turnovers, shoot a higher percentage, play defence and learn to run the teams' plays, he would get minutes again.

In other words, Spanoulis sucks and is whiny. Do not want.

EDIT: I just remembered JVG said that one time after Spanoulis didn't play much, he complained that he was like Tracy McGrady in Greece. JVG told him that the problem with that argument is in the NBA, Tracy McGrady is like Tracy McGrady.
interbasket
Banned User

Post#25 » by interbasket » Wed Jul 3, 2013 1:23 am

Hassassin wrote:I thought V-Span hated the NBA after what happened with the Rockets.

I found an English version of that article.

http://www.eurohoops.net/2013/06/one-on-one/26907

“Coach Van Gundy didn’t know me”

Vassilis Spanoulis has won Euroleague three times, the last two in a row, three Final Four MVP awards, and one season MVP award. After all this success, the question posed to him by the Spanish magazine “Gigantes” in June’s edition was why he didn’t have a solid career in the NBA. “Eurohoops” helped in getting the answers, and despite this being a really old story, since he played in Houston back in the 2006-07 season, here's what he had to say:

“I believe that I was at the wrong time in the wrong place. Unfortunately, I had never spoken with coach Van Gundy before signing with Houston. I only had conversations with the GM, who was really interested in me.

When I arrived, the first thing I was told was that I am a rookie, so I will not play at all and they are not counting on me! I wasn’t in the plans of the coach. I was left on the bench. It was just a bad situation. The team leader was T-Mac, there was also Rafer Alston, and the coach didn’t believe that I could have some minutes in the rotation. He didn’t know me as a player. To be exact, the coach didn’t have the slightest clue about European basketball and European players. I felt really bad, like I was tricked. I was already a pretty good player in Europe. The first thing the coach said to me on my very first day in Houston was: “I don’t know you, you will not play, you are out”. I felt let down. The next summer, coach Adelman came to the team. He called me three times, and we had some good conversations. I appreciated his gesture”.

Spanoulis elaborated on the details of his NBA misfortune by talking to “Eurohoops”.

- Do you consider going to Houston a bad choice?

“I had just won a silver medal with the Greek national team in the World Championship, and I decided to play in the NBA. It turned out that what I had agreed upon, never happened. Coach Adelman wanted me, he asked me to stay, to cooperate with him and start playing. I said to him that I appreciated this, but my decision was already made. The rest was easy, the adjustment to the American way of life and the NBA lifestyle. When I don’t feel good on the basketball court, then everything is wrong and everything is bothering me. When I am full of basketball, then I can adjust, no matter the environment”.

- Would things have been different with another coach?

“They definitely would be. Coach Van Gundy didn’t know who I was. As I said before, coach Adelman called me and tried to be supportive. But at that point, I had lost my trust. I was angry, I was enraged, and I said to myself that I will not allow myself to be involved in such a situation again”.

- Your rights were traded to the Spurs, before you were released and signed with Panathinaikos. What happened with the people of San Antonio?

“I had met Tony Parker in a pre-Eurobasket warm up tournament in France. We know each other pretty well, since we were really young and competing with the junior national teams. He said to me that it would be good for me to stay with the Spurs and play together with him. However, I was not in the mood to think about it. I had decided that I wanted to play again in Europe. Coach Popovich called, and he seemed sincere about believing in me, but my mood was fixed and my gut was telling me to return”.

- Would you consider a second chance in the NBA?

“I don’t know under which conditions I would try my luck again in the NBA. For sure, I would like to play for a team with lofty goals. At this point, I am not thinking anything about it, but you can never say never! I am not closing the door to the NBA, but until the season in Greece is over, I am not allowing myself to think about anything else”.
PD28
General Manager

Post#26 » by PD28 » Wed Jul 3, 2013 1:26 am

Y0DA wrote:

JVG said Spanoulis wouldn't even try to play defence and blamed everyone but himself for his poor play. He said he has no problem with Spanoulis and that if he would limit his turnovers, shoot a higher percentage, play defence and learn to run the teams' plays, he would get minutes again.

In other words, Spanoulis sucks and is whiny. Do not want.

EDIT: I just remembered JVG said that one time after Spanoulis didn't play much, he complained that he was like Tracy McGrady in Greece. JVG told him that the problem with that argument is in the NBA, Tracy McGrady is like Tracy McGrady.

Thanks, appreciate it.
PD28
General Manager

Post#27 » by PD28 » Wed Jul 3, 2013 1:26 am

interbasket wrote:
Hassassin wrote:I thought V-Span hated the NBA after what happened with the Rockets.

I found an English version of that article.

http://www.eurohoops.net/2013/06/one-on-one/26907

“Coach Van Gundy didn’t know me”

Vassilis Spanoulis has won Euroleague three times, the last two in a row, three Final Four MVP awards, and one season MVP award. After all this success, the question posed to him by the Spanish magazine “Gigantes” in June’s edition was why he didn’t have a solid career in the NBA. “Eurohoops” helped in getting the answers, and despite this being a really old story, since he played in Houston back in the 2006-07 season, here's what he had to say:

“I believe that I was at the wrong time in the wrong place. Unfortunately, I had never spoken with coach Van Gundy before signing with Houston. I only had conversations with the GM, who was really interested in me.

When I arrived, the first thing I was told was that I am a rookie, so I will not play at all and they are not counting on me! I wasn’t in the plans of the coach. I was left on the bench. It was just a bad situation. The team leader was T-Mac, there was also Rafer Alston, and the coach didn’t believe that I could have some minutes in the rotation. He didn’t know me as a player. To be exact, the coach didn’t have the slightest clue about European basketball and European players. I felt really bad, like I was tricked. I was already a pretty good player in Europe. The first thing the coach said to me on my very first day in Houston was: “I don’t know you, you will not play, you are out”. I felt let down. The next summer, coach Adelman came to the team. He called me three times, and we had some good conversations. I appreciated his gesture”.

Spanoulis elaborated on the details of his NBA misfortune by talking to “Eurohoops”.

- Do you consider going to Houston a bad choice?

“I had just won a silver medal with the Greek national team in the World Championship, and I decided to play in the NBA. It turned out that what I had agreed upon, never happened. Coach Adelman wanted me, he asked me to stay, to cooperate with him and start playing. I said to him that I appreciated this, but my decision was already made. The rest was easy, the adjustment to the American way of life and the NBA lifestyle. When I don’t feel good on the basketball court, then everything is wrong and everything is bothering me. When I am full of basketball, then I can adjust, no matter the environment”.

- Would things have been different with another coach?

“They definitely would be. Coach Van Gundy didn’t know who I was. As I said before, coach Adelman called me and tried to be supportive. But at that point, I had lost my trust. I was angry, I was enraged, and I said to myself that I will not allow myself to be involved in such a situation again”.

- Your rights were traded to the Spurs, before you were released and signed with Panathinaikos. What happened with the people of San Antonio?

“I had met Tony Parker in a pre-Eurobasket warm up tournament in France. We know each other pretty well, since we were really young and competing with the junior national teams. He said to me that it would be good for me to stay with the Spurs and play together with him. However, I was not in the mood to think about it. I had decided that I wanted to play again in Europe. Coach Popovich called, and he seemed sincere about believing in me, but my mood was fixed and my gut was telling me to return”.

- Would you consider a second chance in the NBA?

“I don’t know under which conditions I would try my luck again in the NBA. For sure, I would like to play for a team with lofty goals. At this point, I am not thinking anything about it, but you can never say never! I am not closing the door to the NBA, but until the season in Greece is over, I am not allowing myself to think about anything else”.

Thanks man.
Guy986
RealGM
And1: 647

Post#28 » by Guy986 » Wed Jul 3, 2013 4:48 am

Rockets gm(not morey) at the time promised playing time and rotation spot for spanoulis.

But Van gundy dont play rookies.

Greek mac was upset and claimed that he missed his mama in europe. So the rockets agreed to trade him and the spurs released him.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,244

Post#29 » by UcanUwill » Wed Jul 3, 2013 5:11 am

Beat me to it. He does not hate NBA, he hated Rockets and JVG.

I will just say this, **** Spanoulis. Ok, he is good, but he overrates himself to the point he sounds delusional. He thinks hes a lost NBA relict. He always was and will be NBA role player material. Imagine him going ''Alan Anderson'' with something to prove on this team.

He is not NBA type. I dont really see him in a role, where he is not a top 3 scoring option. Theres that. Then his other strengths. In Europe, he is very good at ball handling and splitting the defenders. He wouldn't be able to do that consistently against NBA competition. He could lose his main strength here, thats never a good thing.
Waylon Mercy
Banned User
And1: 6,644

Post#30 » by Waylon Mercy » Wed Jul 3, 2013 5:15 am

Tank city
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,830

Post#31 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed Jul 3, 2013 10:41 am

Waylon Mercy wrote:Tank city

The tank will take care of itself but he's a smart pick up if we are dispatching KL.
BackseatBoss
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,269

Post#32 » by BackseatBoss » Wed Jul 3, 2013 11:45 am

Don't see this happening. First of all, doesn't Spanoulis hate the NBA after what happened with the Rockets? Secondly, he's one of the best players in Europe and he would make much more money than we could offer. Do you really want to pay him Kleiza type of money? And finally, he doesn't fit for NBA basketball.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,441

Post#33 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed Jul 3, 2013 1:27 pm

I always liked the idea of filling out our bench with cheaper vets who played solid ball in Europe (Parker & Garbo) and I think Spanoulis certainly fills that role.

Pablo Prigioni was a cheap effective bench option for the Knicks and if we can get aboard that train again I wouldn't be opposed.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 19,958

Post#34 » by tsherkin » Wed Jul 3, 2013 1:43 pm

Why?

He was a savage waste of skin that one year for Houston, what incentive do we have for signing him over [insert anyone else ever, including John Lucas III]?
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,102

Post#35 » by duppyy » Wed Jul 3, 2013 1:59 pm

New tank commander.
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#36 » by IMAN5 » Wed Jul 3, 2013 2:47 pm

lol are we sure BC left? jk
instagram.com/510movement
interbasket
Banned User

Post#37 » by interbasket » Wed Jul 3, 2013 10:56 pm

BackseatBoss wrote:Don't see this happening. First of all, doesn't Spanoulis hate the NBA after what happened with the Rockets? Secondly, he's one of the best players in Europe and he would make much more money than we could offer. Do you really want to pay him Kleiza type of money? And finally, he doesn't fit for NBA basketball.

As already said here, Spanoulis has nothing against the NBA at all. It is just Jeff Van Gundy, who incidentally has never coached a single game in the NBA since that time, that he has a problem with.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,244

Post#38 » by UcanUwill » Wed Jul 3, 2013 11:09 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:I always liked the idea of filling out our bench with cheaper vets who played solid ball in Europe (Parker & Garbo) and I think Spanoulis certainly fills that role.

Pablo Prigioni was a cheap effective bench option for the Knicks and if we can get aboard that train again I wouldn't be opposed.

Spanoulis will not play for vet minimum. Are you ok with them blowing MLE on him? Rather get cheap NBA vet and target guy like Bourousis maybe? back up C is also a need, and he makes much more sense.
Perry Jones III
Freshman

Post#39 » by Perry Jones III » Thu Jul 4, 2013 8:21 pm

This guy is a previously banned user who goes from forum to forum trolling about Spanoulis. Mods please check the IP.
DatBoiCapspace
Sixth Man
And1: 160

Post#40 » by DatBoiCapspace » Thu Jul 4, 2013 11:22 pm

tsherkin wrote:Why?

He was a savage waste of skin that one year for Houston, what incentive do we have for signing him over [insert anyone else ever, including John Lucas III]?

I don't think the Raptors will sign Spanoulis mostly due to his age and pricetag, but this has to be a front runner for ignorant post of the year.
"I've never seen a sports market appreciate cap space more than Toronto. Cap space is like a human being to us" - Sid Seixeiro

"Cap space can't rebound, it can't make shots"- Paul Jones

Preach.

Return to Toronto Raptors