ImageImageImageImageImage

If Casey wants Pacers model JV is the West. Amir is the Hibb

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Re: If Casey wants Pacers model JV is the West. Amir is the 

Post#21 » by Double Helix » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:09 pm

SirBounceAlot wrote:I respect your optimisim and persistence dh but brah yu gotta lay off creating threads. this becoming like propaganda now lmao

It's called bias. I'm a Raptors fan that likes blue collar teams and I mentioned the Pacers comparison before even Casey did and we started adding guys like Augustin and Hansbrough. I'm definitely biased and I'll fully admit that but it's no different than the 50 propaganda threads for Wiggins or tanking that are out there. Everybody is biased in some way.

At least I'm writing about players that are actually on the team right now.
CanadaB-Ball
Rookie
And1: 311

Re: Forget size: JV will be our West. Amir is our Hibbert. 

Post#22 » by CanadaB-Ball » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:26 pm

basketball royalty wrote:
CanadaB-Ball wrote:
basketball royalty wrote:Don't really see the comparison. Both of our guys are better defensively than West but not quite the factor Hibbert can be because of his size. I think our frontcourt is quicker over all and yes, I expect more scoring out of Val than Amir but that just means we have a nice young C on our team.

In the olden days this was normal with combos of Ewing and Oakley or Hakeem and Thorpe or whatever. It is rare to have two great scoring PF and C, usually one takes the forefront over the other,

Both of our guys are better defensively than a guy who put up a DRtg of 99, a DWS of 4.7, an opponent PER of 12.1, an ON/OFF defensive NET of -1 (which means they scored more when he was off the court than when he was on), a dppp of 0.81 and an opponent FG% of 36? Yeah, I don't think so.

Sorry, not sure what any of that means but in terms of rim protection I'd say both Val and Amir are better than West. A lot of those stats can be contributed to the overall defense of the Pacers I would think, though I already admit I don't follow the importance of the stuff you put up.

Maybe I am wrong but David West is not a defensive force in miy mind. How are all his stats when he was on the Hornets?

Defense isn't all about rim protection, though. Although you are right in saying that West isn't much of a 'rim protector'.

West is able to keep his man in front of him, and not allow deep post position (thanks to his large frame). He does a good job of contesting shots without committing to them (in part because of his knees, and in part because of his defensive acumen). Him and Hibbert work perfectly together, as when a player is able to make it to the rim (whether that be by getting past someone on the perimeter or getting by West), Hibbert is there to send them back. I don't know if I see that same potential in Amir and Jonas, but even if they were to become a similarly 'deadly duo', where do the rest of the Pacers come from?
22haytham22
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,265

Post#23 » by 22haytham22 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:26 pm

we are not pacers 2.0 stop reaching

TreadMilling Since 1995

Darain wrote:Dude is like 6-10, 6-12 at the most
But he is definitely not 7 foot
FlutieX
Banned User
And1: 649

Post#24 » by FlutieX » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:27 pm

Amir is our Hibbert, you say?

Casey gonna Casey. Check that, Helix gonna Helix.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,534

Re: Forget size: JV will be our West. Amir is our Hibbert. 

Post#25 » by Rapcity_11 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:35 pm

CanadaB-Ball wrote:
basketball royalty wrote:Don't really see the comparison. Both of our guys are better defensively than West but not quite the factor Hibbert can be because of his size. I think our frontcourt is quicker over all and yes, I expect more scoring out of Val than Amir but that just means we have a nice young C on our team.

In the olden days this was normal with combos of Ewing and Oakley or Hakeem and Thorpe or whatever. It is rare to have two great scoring PF and C, usually one takes the forefront over the other,

Both of our guys are better defensively than a guy who put up a DRtg of 99, a DWS of 4.7, an opponent PER of 12.1, an ON/OFF defensive NET of -1 (which means they scored more when he was off the court than when he was on), a dppp of 0.81 and an opponent FG% of 36? Yeah, I don't think so.

Amir is definitely a better defender than West but JV right now is still a below average defender.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,534

Post#26 » by Rapcity_11 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:36 pm

SirBounceAlot wrote:I respect your optimisim and persistence dh but brah yu gotta lay off creating threads. this becoming like propaganda now lmao

Nobody is forcing you to read and/or comment in them.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,964

Post#27 » by MEDIC » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:42 pm

JV is Smits

Amir & Tyler are Antonio & Dale
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Double Helix » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:46 pm

MEDIC wrote:JV is Smits

Amir & Tyler are Antonio & Dale

Ha ha! Nice! The Pacers are the template in any era! Lol.
hillbilly hare
Veteran
And1: 219

Post#29 » by hillbilly hare » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:49 pm

Great post and a fantastic job done on the stats.

But it's the kind of thing that can degenerate pretty quickly if we start comparing the two teams in too much detail. I think we can do that on a more general level, in the sense that Indy built a winner using every possible resource to build its team: the draft, free agency and trades. A fantastic job that we should definitely try to emulate.

But.

The "Indy model" starts with coaching. That's the big difference, for now, between them and us and a bunch of other teams too. Not only better coaching, but specifically playoff winning basketball centered around defense and rebounding.

The 2nd difference regards the current NBA wisdom that you need superstars to contend. Indy has one in Paul George. We have none.

You need some All-stars around your superstar too, and Indy has 2 or 3 more, in HIbbert, West and Granger (before injuries). We have none.

Those are some pretty serious differences.

If we look at the players head to head, that goes off the tracks pretty quickly. Amir vs. Hibbert is really off base. There is no comparison. Seriously. You can dig up all the stats you want and go into analytics and whatnot, but it's seriously flawed. Hibbert is a center. Amir is not. Hibbert is a beast at over 7 feet and weighs a ton. He is a game changer on the defensive end. He has flaws of course. But there is no comparison between him and Amir. Teams have to plan around Hibbert's defense. One example from game 1 in the East finals vs. the Heat: that one small coaching error, a little brain fart at the end of game 1 vs. the Heat, when they took Hibbert out of the game, probably cost the Pacers that series. With Hibbert defending the rim, there's a very good chance Lebron doesn't drive for a frigging layup to win the game, with the realistic chance of Hibbert either blocking or altering the shot.

As to the rebuild, as I said, I love the Pacers model. We have our big time prospect at center, who could not only end up being better than Hibbert, but looks to be developing a lot faster too. Now we need a superstar, our answer to Paul George. First guy that comes to mind is Wiggins. We need a couple of All-stars too. How about that Gay for Monroe trade? Monroe can be our All-star PF, vs. West in Indy. We than have to use our cap space well, like Indy did with West. If we trade Lowry for a pick or picks, then we would probably be looking for a PG in free agency. A couple of names available in 2014 might be Bledsoe (get him before he explodes?) or Jennings (will he mature and become an All-star?) or somebody like Avery Bradley, whose game might be like Hill's with better D. Or use a pick to make a shrewd trade for a guy, like the Spurs/Pacers deal, which worked out great for both.
jvuc
Senior
And1: 108

Post#30 » by jvuc » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:04 pm

When Casey says the Pacers style is the model, I think he is looking at defensive efficiency in general http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats/_/sort/defensiveEff/order/false

Indiana is 1st in league for defensive efficiency (points allowed per 100 possession) while the Raptors are 22nd. The Pacers are also 1st in league in terms of rebound rate whereas the raptors are below average. So I agree the duo of C/PF are important factors to both of these, though defensive effectiveness is also a team factor. Amir is his prime, so the improved will come from JV improving, TH from the bench and rest of the starting 5 be healthy and buying into the Casey system.

[In terms offensive efficiency, FG%, turnovers, assits and true shooting %, Indiana is below average and the raptors are superior. Unless he wants the raptors to worsen I don't think these are in the scope of areas to emulate the Pacers].
hankscorpioLA
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#31 » by hankscorpioLA » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:07 pm

When they talk about a "Pacers model" I don't think they mean matching personnel.

I think they mean in terms of how the team was put together and the general style of play with a focus on defense.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using RealGM Forums mobile app
The absurd mystery of the strange forces of existence.
Stealth68
Pro Prospect
And1: 102

Post#32 » by Stealth68 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm

I just wanna know. Who did the Pacers copy their model from? Since copying people's models always works.

And when will other team be taking "the raptors" model?
Ari_Emanuel
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,835

Post#33 » by Ari_Emanuel » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:15 pm

22haytham22 wrote:we are not pacers 2.0 stop reaching

I really don't think our team is that far off. People are really overestimating the talent of the Pacers core versus ours.

Please remember that we don't have one player aged 28 or older among our starters. If you take a veteran D West off of the pacers they'd be scrapping for the 8th seed just like us.
neurotik wrote:
Raps Maniac wrote:
Risk101 wrote:Inb4 the ass jokes.

But that's his downside.

No thats his backside.

Lowry's upside is mental and psychological.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

If Casey wants Pacers model JV is the West. Amir is the Hibb 

Post#34 » by Double Helix » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:17 pm

hillbilly hare wrote:Great post and a fantastic job done on the stats.

But it's the kind of thing that can degenerate pretty quickly if we start comparing the two teams in too much detail. I think we can do that on a more general level, in the sense that Indy built a winner using every possible resource to build its team: the draft, free agency and trades. A fantastic job that we should definitely try to emulate.

But.

The "Indy model" starts with coaching. That's the big difference, for now, between them and us and a bunch of other teams too. Not only better coaching, but specifically playoff winning basketball centered around defense and rebounding.

The 2nd difference regards the current NBA wisdom that you need superstars to contend. Indy has one in Paul George. We have none.

You need some All-stars around your superstar too, and Indy has 2 or 3 more, in HIbbert, West and Granger (before injuries). We have none.

Those are some pretty serious differences.

If we look at the players head to head, that goes off the tracks pretty quickly. Amir vs. Hibbert is really off base. There is no comparison. Seriously. You can dig up all the stats you want and go into analytics and whatnot, but it's seriously flawed. Hibbert is a center. Amir is not. Hibbert is a beast at over 7 feet and weighs a ton. He is a game changer on the defensive end. He has flaws of course. But there is no comparison between him and Amir. Teams have to plan around Hibbert's defense. One example from game 1 in the East finals vs. the Heat: that one small coaching error, a little brain fart at the end of game 1 vs. the Heat, when they took Hibbert out of the game, probably cost the Pacers that series. With Hibbert defending the rim, there's a very good chance Lebron doesn't drive for a frigging layup to win the game, with the realistic chance of Hibbert either blocking or altering the shot.

As to the rebuild, as I said, I love the Pacers model. We have our big time prospect at center, who could not only end up being better than Hibbert, but looks to be developing a lot faster too. Now we need a superstar, our answer to Paul George. First guy that comes to mind is Wiggins. We need a couple of All-stars too. How about that Gay for Monroe trade? Monroe can be our All-star PF, vs. West in Indy. We than have to use our cap space well, like Indy did with West. If we trade Lowry for a pick or picks, then we would probably be looking for a PG in free agency. A couple of names available in 2014 might be Bledsoe (get him before he explodes?) or Jennings (will he mature and become an All-star?) or somebody like Avery Bradley, whose game might be like Hill's with better D. Or use a pick to make a shrewd trade for a guy, like the Spurs/Pacers deal, which worked out great for both.

Appreciate the well-thought out response. Nobody with a brain could or should argue against the idea of having Wiggins and Monroe with JV if ever such a thing was highly probable. I can't touch that because at this point it's just a dream rather than reality and a pretty great dream at that.

What I can comment on is that I think we should really drop the superficiality of all star appearances specifically because many of the Pacers made it because their team was playing so well together as a unit. If this team played great Rudy Gay would probably get some credit for that and perhaps a shot at his first AS game. Team success breeds individual awards and accolades.

I can also say that while Paul George may still have several gears left as a player, Rudy Gay has had seasons in his past that compare reasonably well with who Paul George was last year. And that player last year was good enough to help them become a great team.

So, it really comes down to 3 things here.

1) The team defence needs to improve massively. Casey suggests it will but it needs to be elite this year.

2) Jonas needs to become a near all star quality big offensively and either the central option or secondary option on offense.

3) Rudy Gay needs to have a big year on both sides of the court. Offensively, he needs to return to those 108 or 109 ORTG years he's had in the past. Defensively, he needs to buy in and take the same pride on defence against weaker players that he does against Mello, Bron, George, Durant, etc.
Omi
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#35 » by Omi » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:22 pm

No need to compare them individually. The hope is that Jonas and Amir together will provide better defense and more rebounding with more efficient scoring than West and Hibbert. I don't think they will ever be as talented offensively, but that's ok.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,964

Post#36 » by MEDIC » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:28 pm

Why are people referring to George as a superstar?

Superstars don't average 17.4ppg & shoot .419 from the floor.

He wasn't even the leading scorer on his team.

Great defender.....good rebounder.....good assist numbers, but he's not the 2nd coming of LBJ or Durant.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
up n under
Senior
And1: 38

Post#37 » by up n under » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:30 pm

Double Helix wrote:When people have discussed the idea of the Pacers model the question that's consistently raised is, "Well, who can we trade to get our David West?" People look at Amir at PF and think, "We need more scoring punch there." We've had it all wrong. We've allowed size differences and positional differences to cloud what we do have and how Amir and Jonas can function together as a duo.

Jonas has the offensive talent to become the David West-type of offensive talent on this team.
Amir Johnson already puts up contributions reasonably similar to Roy Hibbert right now and is a year younger than him.

Forget about how different these players look to you for a moment. Forget about all star accolades. Forget about how Hibbert looked like Shaq against Miami due to how weak they are down low. He doesn't play like that consistently in the regular season. Let's talk numbers.

Amir vs Hibbert head-to-head:
http://bkref.com/tiny/u1esc

Plenty of similarities there individually. The blocks total is the most different but JV's more of a shot blocker than West anyway so that will more than close the gap as a duo. The Pacers, as a team, committed more to defence than the Raptors did and their DRTGs accross the board are higher than ours but both have net postive ORTGs to their DRTGs. Casey's goal this year is to make defence the priority. I won't be surprised to see all of our DRTGs drop to more respectable numbers if he can get this team to buy in.

Amir vs Hibbert via RAPM comparison

Amir was 14th in RAPM last year with a +4.7 (We were +3.6 with him on the court defensively)
Hibbert was 16th in RAPM last year with a +4.6 (They were +4.3 with him on the court defensively)

Amir vs Hibbert via Synergy comparison

Hibbert gave up only 0.86 PPP
Amir gave up 0.88 PPP

This is a bigger difference than it seems but Synergy isn't the best judge of bigs anyway because of how it misses help defence. I find it's better for guards. Still, I wanted to include it.

So, have we allowed size differences, and positional differences to cloud our judgment when looking at the Pacers as a potential template for success? Maybe JV isn't the Hibbert in the front court at all. Maybe that's Amir. And perhaps we don't need to trade for an offensively polished PF to find our West because we have an offensive weapon growing right before our eyes in Jonas Valanciunas who very well could end up becoming a much better offensive weapon than David West anyway.

Here's a look at 20-year-old Jonas Valanciunas last year vs 31-year-old David West.
http://bkref.com/tiny/HVGnd

Look at the per 36 totals. Think about the growth you've seen from Jonas already this summer. Do you really think it will be long before he's reaching and surpassing those per 36 totals and when he does won't the front court of Amir and Jonas essentially be just as dominant as Hibbert/West? JV is improving in all facets of the game. This duo has potential. The need for an offensively polished PF decreases if JV becomes the kind of efficiency weapon he seems like he could be.

These are the types of posts that remind me of how great realgm is!

I completely agree with you, and the comparison was really eye opening. I definitely agree that many people are focused on position by position comparisons when we need to look at the overall picture and the unit we are working with. Basketball is becoming rather "position less" and more defined by roles. What really surprised me was how young Amir is, not sure why i was under the impression that he was a few years older.
Contrary to my past opinions, i do believe Amir @ 7.5 mill a year is not a BAD contract ether. If you look at his production, and players around his caliber, its a pretty good deal. We also have a team option for next year. I like amir and what he has to offer, and he is a die hard raptor, but in a perfect role I would prefer him as our first big off the bench. I'm a big fan of a 4 who can stretch the defense a bit. This is especially important to create room for Jonas down low, as well as Rudy and DD. If only Bargs was the player we dreamt he could be.

Do you think Amir is someone we can build with, and intend to be one of our starters? What kind of deal do you think we will retain him on, and how will this affect our future plans.
Aventador
Head Coach
And1: 3,455

Post#38 » by Aventador » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:15 pm

sighhh, can we stop clinging onto false hope for this very mediocre team? Just accept that we're a middling 7/8th seed and lets do a proper rebuild.
VintageVince
Rookie
And1: 926

Post#39 » by VintageVince » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:26 pm

I don't think you can compare Hibbert to Amir, just because of Hibbert's size, he clogs the paint, unlike Amir...
Mototaupa
Sophomore
And1: 321

Post#40 » by Mototaupa » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:32 pm

Biggest mistake is too take plain nubers and say look, they are the same...

Problems with your comparison are many, and i wont list them all, just some :

A) For example, somehow a guard swiches from hes def to Amir, then dribles around Amir or slashes or whatever, JV aint hibbert yet, opposing guard knows that, he isnt THAT intiminated, he goes...

B) On offence West is atacking rim while Hibbert floats (ussualy), IF West fails, indi can go too 7,3 guy, whom alot of teams have problem too defend. While if JV atacking rim fails, you have Amir, whom can be defended much easier...

And you can go on. People cant be replicated yet, so you cant compare 2 vs 2 and say they are the same. Ingame situations evolves diferent in so many levels that its very hard too meassure. You can see that last year production of duos was similar, but you cant say how many ways too reach those stats have particular duo.

Return to Toronto Raptors