ImageImageImageImageImage

POLL: Masai Ujiri Approval Rating - Mid-Season Poll

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Masai Ujiri Approval Rating

Poll ended at Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:31 pm

Strongly Approve
13%
Approve
31%
Neither Approve Nor Disapprove
20%
Disapprove
24%
Strongly Disapprove
12%

Total votes: 198

Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Re: POLL: Masai Ujiri Approval Rating - Mid-Season Poll 

Post#81 » by Matty » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:57 am

Schadenfreude wrote:
Matty wrote:
Replace Bargnani with Aldridge at the C and you probably could have had a good future there.

I'm not suggesting Bargnani was a bust, but more often than not you expect the No.1 pick to pan out into a perennial All-star at the very least. Unfortunately we're the Toronto Raptors, nothing has gone smoothly in our brief history.

Naturally. But the argument then as now was that we were very young, and consequently the likes of Bargnani would become very good as a matter of course (this argument continued until he was 27, for what it's worth). Having young players is a good thing, undoubtedly. But not all young players will progress significantly...DeRozan at 27 may be very similar to DeRozan at 24, as might Patterson, etc. Amir and Lowry, with eight and seven years' experience respectively, are what they are. There's little reason to project that the group as a whole is on some steep upward progression that'll take the team from the middle of the pack to contender status.

My point though is that if we drafted the right guy, the one that was touted most as the No.1 pick in the 06 draft, we would not be talking about the rest of the players and their progress. The real core that we were going to build around was always going to be Bosh and the No.1 pick player. Aldridge's career speaks for itself, I don't need to lay it out for you. He was a star in the making ever since his sophomore year. You don't think he could have panned out in Toronto as the same solid player he is today? I mean he's been through some tough times in Portland with the injuries of Oden/Roy and what not, but he was always a consistent player throughout it.

The past is the past and I've accepted what happened but having Aldridge on our roster would have changed alot. His impact would have been felt unlike the one we ended up picking.

As for this current group. JV and Ross are the only players that can improve dramatically and at this point I wanna see what a playoff run will do to their game.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,423

Post#82 » by Rapsfan07 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:59 am

cdel00 wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:
Too Late Crew wrote:He has and continues to have my approval.

All the whiners about BC's knee jerk moves and know those same people bitching that half a season in he hasn't made more moves?
The guy was left with a HUGE mess. He got rid of two of the biggest contracts on the team without taking back negative contracts. Cleaning up BC's knee jerk mistakes like Fields isn't going to happen overnight.
He didn't make this mess and he's actually ahead of where I thought in terms of cleaning it up.
Yes the team needs a superstar but I don't know any GM that could turn what was left into a superstar.

I don't know what people are bitching about. We haven't even got to the trade deadline when most deals happen. I'm more than willing to give him till the end of next year when Fields will expire before I worry (as long as he doesn't make any BC like bonehead short term moves.

But that's the thing - he already has made "BC like bonehead moves" by not picking a direction for this team.

So many people doesn't realize that not having or not choosing a direction and sticking to it is one of the worst qualities a GM can have.

We are where we are because Masai did not commit to a direction. He always said "we'll see" or "it depends". You can't do that if you're trying to be a contender like TL and MU said they were gonna be. Sometimes you're going to have to make difficult decisions like trading Ray Allen. We need a guy who can do that.

He has a direction it's elite D centred 4 pillars team building while maintaining flexibility and low price FA signings.

.... With no stars and a team that's lucky to get pass the first round?

Great!
cdel00
Head Coach
And1: 423

Post#83 » by cdel00 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:01 am

Yep no stars.

10th on the MVP ladder, 1 near allstar, 5th ranked d in the league.

No stars
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,494

Post#84 » by bballsparkin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:04 am

Jim Lahey wrote:
Yeah I agree with you. I'll admit that I was off the pro tank but I am starting to feel again that we should be tanking... I am starting to see this team treadmilling. I don't know what is going to happen. Would Durant come to Toronto with Drake here??

Why the bleep does Drake matter? Would MJ go to LA because Ice Cube was there? That's crazy talk.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,405

Post#85 » by Lateral Quicks » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:10 am

I voted strongly approve. I am not going to change my mind based on a small stretch of poor goings.

The Gay and Bargnani deals are underrated around these parts. He's maximizing the value of his current players. He has all his picks and more besides. He has loads of cap room in 2015. And in the meantime, the team is playing some entertaining and competitive basketball - last few (note: FEW) stinkers aside.

The time to disapprove is when he's trading FOR the likes of Rudy Gay, signing the likes of Hedo Turkoglu to $10M per, or trading a young pick like Hibbert for a washed up star like Jermaine O'Neal.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Matty
General Manager

Post#86 » by Matty » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:11 am

I think we will found out the true Masai ratings once the trade deadline passes. If he doesn't make a move to make this team either better or get them on the stealth tank full force then the ratings are going to drop down big time.
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#87 » by bballsparkin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:18 am

hankscorpioLA wrote:
That its actually quite an accomplishment that we are a .500 team at this point in time.

Is it? You seem to me to believe as time goes by the record will keep going up. Maybe a bit but as is I think the team plateaus as pretty mediocre. I get the feeling MU is very confident in his abilities. That he can build it the Pacer's way. Thing is Indiana has to build that way due to financial concerns. They got lucky with PG too. Hey maybe Masai is that good. But I'll believe it when I see it. The Raptors are looking pretty middling to me. And Lowry is a huge question mark. BC saddled him in a difficult spot I understand. But I'm not so sure everything is ideal. I'm hoping he pulls off some magic at the deadline. Whether it's grabbing a disgruntled star or making a trade that takes the team some steps back in order to move forward.

Ps - Good job on keeping this thread going.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,366

Post#88 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:19 am

Matty wrote:I think we will found out the true Masai ratings once the trade deadline passes. If he doesn't make a move to make this team either better or get them on the stealth tank full force then the ratings are going to drop down big time.

He's in a difficult position.

Tanking is off the table at this point. It would be virtually impossible for us to lose enough games to get into the bottom five.

On the other hand, he also doesn't have much in the way of assets to make this team better right now via trades.

I would say that his only option is to start tearing down for the 2016 draft right now. Trade Lowry and Derozan while their values are at all time highs.
Matty
General Manager

Post#89 » by Matty » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:23 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
Matty wrote:I think we will found out the true Masai ratings once the trade deadline passes. If he doesn't make a move to make this team either better or get them on the stealth tank full force then the ratings are going to drop down big time.

He's in a difficult position.

Tanking is off the table at this point. It would be virtually impossible for us to lose enough games to get into the bottom five.

On the other hand, he also doesn't have much in the way of assets to make this team better right now via trades.

I would say that his only option is to start tearing down for the 2016 draft right now. Trade Lowry and Derozan while their values are at all time highs.

I would rather wait and see on what this team can do in the playoffs then blow it up during the summer and possibly use Lowry and Derozan to move up in the draft.
Slim_Charles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,516

Post#90 » by Slim_Charles » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:27 am

bballsparkin wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:
Yeah I agree with you. I'll admit that I was off the pro tank but I am starting to feel again that we should be tanking... I am starting to see this team treadmilling. I don't know what is going to happen. Would Durant come to Toronto with Drake here??

Why the bleep does Drake matter? Would MJ go to LA because Ice Cube was there? That's crazy talk.

Yeah you're right. I'm fantasizing because being a Raptors' fan has caused many mental issues for me... makes me feel delusional
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#91 » by Wo1verine » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:30 am

Strongly disapprove just because he should had planned better.

Many here never liked the ' wait and see approach' from the start and this is why.

When you get paid millions of $$, you shouldn't need all this time to 'evaluate' I mean, his job is to watch basketball on a nightly bases and should have had a pretty solid idea from the start that this roster wasn't very good.
BrunoSkull
UnderdogRaptors
RealGM
And1: 44,305

Post#92 » by UnderdogRaptors » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:30 am

Strongly disapprove, haven't we learned anything from BC's tenure here? we can't be wasting seasons without a plan, remember when TL said we wouldn't be stuck in 7-11 well thats exactly where we are going to be when Brooklyn surpasses us. MU waited way to long to try and flip Lowry but I understood the rationale in not trading him (we were winning at the time and he was playing like an all star) and I don't think the fans would have forgiven him if we traded Lowry at the time for other teams scraps, but now he has to either overpay him or let him walk. This season IMO is the worst because its yet another wasted season with a mediocre team with a mediocre draft pick and no legit chance at a superstar.
BC_IS_A_PLAYA wrote:jonas sucks, his dad should have got a vasectomy
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,752

Post#93 » by Basketball_Jones » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:35 am

man, I really didn't want to vote on this but I think enough time has passed where I can now really form an opinion on him. I'm pretty much indifferent on him. I don't really like the direction he's heading in, but I do like how cap conscious he is and his ability to negotiate so far. so, I guess a C+.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#94 » by bballsparkin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:12 am

Jim Lahey wrote:
Yeah you're right. I'm fantasizing because being a Raptors' fan has caused many mental issues for me... makes me feel delusional

My bad. I shoulda left you to your delusions while you still have them. Before pure jadedness takes over. 8-)
hankscorpioLA
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#95 » by hankscorpioLA » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:16 am

dTox wrote:
hankscorpioLA wrote:
dTox wrote:
Let's not reach for that excuse now, I mean, Colangelo rode that "hot in Phoenix, so it will eventually work here" excuse for many years and Phoenix was a much better team than what Masai had done with Denver. Let's talk about the Raptors, and so far it's been sub par.

Not the point...but whatever.

I'm just not exactly sure what people expected.

He got rid of our two worst contracts, added a future first rounder and at least one solid long term piece in Patterson.

IMHO that is not bad for 6 months...especially given how bad the situation he came into was.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using RealGM Forums mobile app

People expected what they were promised, "escaping no man's land", and like I had mentioned earlier in the thread, getting rid of bad contracts isn't unique to Masai, other terrible GM's have done so and it certainly doesn't excuse him from wasting away an entire season. 6 months is enough time to understand this roster is incredibly flawed.

6 months in and we are currently the 4th seed in the East.

Did ANYONE predict the Raptors as the 4th seed in the East?

And again...when Masai talks about escaping no man's land, he's not talking about this year. He's talking about the long term.

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/10/18/not-i ... he-raptors

“This year is not based on wins and losses, it’s about how we grow,” said an amped-up Ujiri, clearly moved by the size of the crowd and by its support.
The absurd mystery of the strange forces of existence.
hankscorpioLA
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#96 » by hankscorpioLA » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:17 am

bballsparkin wrote:
hankscorpioLA wrote:
That its actually quite an accomplishment that we are a .500 team at this point in time.

Is it? You seem to me to believe as time goes by the record will keep going up. Maybe a bit but as is I think the team plateaus as pretty mediocre. I get the feeling MU is very confident in his abilities. That he can build it the Pacer's way. Thing is Indiana has to build that way due to financial concerns. They got lucky with PG too. Hey maybe Masai is that good. But I'll believe it when I see it. The Raptors are looking pretty middling to me. And Lowry is a huge question mark. BC saddled him in a difficult spot I understand. But I'm not so sure everything is ideal. I'm hoping he pulls off some magic at the deadline. Whether it's grabbing a disgruntled star or making a trade that takes the team some steps back in order to move forward.

Hang on a second....this team as it is now...with a 21 year old starting center and a 22 year old starting shooting guard....is a .500 team.

THAT is mediocre.

Do you really think that the current level of performance is that plateau for this team?
The absurd mystery of the strange forces of existence.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#97 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:27 am

hankscorpioLA wrote:
dTox wrote:
hankscorpioLA wrote:

He got rid of our two worst contracts, added a future first rounder and at least one solid long term piece in Patterson.

IMHO that is not bad for 6 months...especially given how bad the situation he came into was.

People expected what they were promised, "escaping no man's land", and like I had mentioned earlier in the thread, getting rid of bad contracts isn't unique to Masai, other terrible GM's have done so and it certainly doesn't excuse him from wasting away an entire season. 6 months is enough time to understand this roster is incredibly flawed.

No, but plenty of people predicted that the Raptors would be mediocre and hover around .500. Seeding is meaningless in this context.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#98 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:30 am

hankscorpioLA wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:
hankscorpioLA wrote:

Hang on a second....this team as it is now...with a 21 year old starting center and a 22 year old starting shooting guard....is a .500 team.

THAT is mediocre.

Do you really think that the current level of performance is that plateau for this team?

It all depends on the ceiling of those two players. Age alone doesn't mean anything.
nanapapayaw
Banned User
And1: 55

Post#99 » by nanapapayaw » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:31 am

hankscorpioLA wrote:

THAT is mediocre.

that 21 year old starting c looks more and more like a seventh/eighth man on a contender every day
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,565

Post#100 » by dTox » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:32 am

hankscorpioLA wrote:
dTox wrote:
hankscorpioLA wrote:

And again...when Masai talks about escaping no man's land, he's not talking about this year. He's talking about the long term.

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/10/18/not-i ... he-raptors

“This year is not based on wins and losses, it’s about how we grow,” said an amped-up Ujiri, clearly moved by the size of the crowd and by its support.

Did anyone predict the Raptors to be 4th seed in the East? The question you should be asking is, did anyone predict a team in the East with a .500 record come in ranked 4th? Did anyone predict the Nets to implode, or the Knicks? This is the equavalent of padding yourself on the back for being the tallest midget. Common, let's not try and spin this .500 record other than what it is, a team with no high draft pick, no super star, and no direction. Cap flexibility yes, but no star player is jumping to play in another country, with a losing franchise during free agency, at best we hope to retain the only guy who MAY enter the all star game because others have been injured (D-Will, Wade, Rose Rondo).

As for the "we will not be in no man's land", both TL and Masai had come out and said we will not be caught in no man's land, last time I checked, it wasn't "we wont be caught in no man's land, starting 2014-2015". Promises have been failed, please don't try to be their mouthpiece, for a guy who isn't paid by the organization it looks even more sad.

“This year is not based on wins and losses, it’s about how we grow" means that their intentions were to rebuild and that wins are not a priority, even a casual fan can understand that.
TBZ for the win

Return to Toronto Raptors