ImageImageImageImageImage

Lowry: "I Love Toronto and I Want to Stay a Raptor"

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,807

Re: Lowry: "I Love Toronto and I Want to Stay a Raptor" 

Post#41 » by Steelo Green » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:16 pm

dagger wrote:
RaptorsFTL wrote:People forget Harrison Barnes? He was touted just as Wiggins was and didn't even go in the top 5 in the draft. Not saying Wiggins won't be a top 5 pick but this draft has been overrated for superstar potential. Lots of stars there, but superstar? I don't know.

Marcus Thompson, who is columnist for the San Jose Merucry-News, and follows the Warriors closely, had this pretty strong critique of Barnes yesterday, basically calling him a tweener who excels when everyone around him - Curry, Thompson, Lee - are going well and drawing coverage, but can't handle coming off the bench. Basically, Thompson begs the fans to be patient with Barnes because he's going to build out his game over time.

http://www.mercurynews.com/marcus-thomp ... ors-barnes
This only highlights the primary truth about Barnes: He's a 'tweener. He can dominate situationally, but he can also be negated. And until he grows as a player, that will remain true.

NBA small forwards, on good teams, are usually either offensive creators (LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Paul George) or defensive stoppers who can spot up (Luol Deng, Kawhi Leonard, Nicolas Batum). Barnes doesn't fit into either category decisively.

His skill set dips into both, which makes him such a promising talent. But he can't handle the ball well enough yet to consistently create his own shot, which is why he struggles to be productive without a clear advantage in size or quickness. Nor is he a defensive stopper, though he's good at chasing around smaller guards.

Good find. You understand my logic though right. Again, this could blow up in our faces of course, but to dismantle what we have to go for a bunch of ping pong balls makes no sense. I think we are so used to disappointment that we cannot fathom what we have as actually being tangible and moving forward with.

If you have seen Wiggins play, you sometimes forget he is even on the court at times, Parker doesn't have the athleticism to be elite at the NBA level, Embiid could be great or he could be terrible, a project, Smart will be a solid NBA PG, and Exum is a wildcard. No where does that scream superstar anywhere. I guess we will have to see how the NCAA tourney plays out and see if any of these guys differentiate themselves but the overrating of this draft is insane. Randle went from a top 3 pick but his size and lack of athleticism makes him a tweener. Who knows, he could even become another Thomas Robinson.

I just don't see why people want to tank so much. They hear names and get excited (again not everyone) but need to actually see these college players in action and see their game. We beat Brooklyn yesterday without a key part of our team. People can argue that Brooklyn aren't very good, but they are 10-2 this month, better than anyone, and we beat them at home. They beat Atlanta twice, GS, and Miami in this span.
Bertoo
Pro Prospect
And1: 530

Post#42 » by Bertoo » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:20 pm

He should be re-signed. He's doing wonders for our young player's development, and the entire team's development as a whole.
Raptors fan since day 1
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#43 » by MixxSRC » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:22 pm

Kohanz
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 992

Post#44 » by Kohanz » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:23 pm

dagger wrote:
RaptorsFTL wrote:People forget Harrison Barnes? He was touted just as Wiggins was and didn't even go in the top 5 in the draft. Not saying Wiggins won't be a top 5 pick but this draft has been overrated for superstar potential. Lots of stars there, but superstar? I don't know.

Marcus Thompson, who is columnist for the San Jose Merucry-News, and follows the Warriors closely, had this pretty strong critique of Barnes yesterday, basically calling him a tweener who excels when everyone around him - Curry, Thompson, Lee - are going well and drawing coverage, but can't handle coming off the bench. Basically, Thompson begs the fans to be patient with Barnes because he's going to build out his game over time.

http://www.mercurynews.com/marcus-thomp ... ors-barnes
This only highlights the primary truth about Barnes: He's a 'tweener. He can dominate situationally, but he can also be negated. And until he grows as a player, that will remain true.

NBA small forwards, on good teams, are usually either offensive creators (LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Paul George) or defensive stoppers who can spot up (Luol Deng, Kawhi Leonard, Nicolas Batum). Barnes doesn't fit into either category decisively.

His skill set dips into both, which makes him such a promising talent. But he can't handle the ball well enough yet to consistently create his own shot, which is why he struggles to be productive without a clear advantage in size or quickness. Nor is he a defensive stopper, though he's good at chasing around smaller guards.

The creator of nbawowy is a big basketball analytics guy and a die-hard Warriors fan. If you follow him on Twitter (https://twitter.com/thecity2), you'll instantly see how down he is on Barnes. He would ship him out for almost anyone. He wants to get rid of Barnes at all cost while the perception is still that he has star potential.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,560

Post#45 » by DG88 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:25 pm

CoachD wrote:No man. Shush. Some pro-tanking mod will lock this up in two minutes, so in the mean time ...

Don't temp me lol
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#46 » by Morris_Shatford » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:26 pm

CoachD wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:Smokescreen.

BRILLIANT insight!
I can see why they made you a leader around here!

Smokescreen.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Post#47 » by Troubadour » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:44 pm

There are a lot of talented PGs in the league. It's definitely the deepest position in the NBA. Keep that in mind when trying to predict Lowry's value. Huge supply.

That being said, a team with a lot of cap space that strikes out during free agency could overpay to get him. If the Lakers miss out on Carmelo, for instance, they may overpay to get Deng and Lowry.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using RealGM Forums mobile app
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,489

Post#48 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:45 pm

I will have 10 million reasons to really love Toronto soon!
Inevitable
RealGM
And1: 134,630

Post#49 » by Inevitable » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:47 pm

He said..Toronto!
RapsAndJays21
RealGM
And1: 16,319

Post#50 » by RapsAndJays21 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:48 pm

Don't know if this plays into his mindset at all, but Lowry has been severely underpaid his entire career. Now he is playing even better, at a lower scale MVP level... I'm sure he wants something for it. I'd like to see 41-42 over 4 years.
Rep T Dot, till they bury me.
wow09
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,559

Post#51 » by wow09 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:48 pm

Why do we want to trade this guy?

In my opinion we should be trying to sign him asap. We have a talented player who is a leader and plays with a passion that I haven't seen a Raptor play with in at least a decade. And we want to trade him? We are always bitching and moaning that we don't have enough talent and we want to trade our most talented player. We use to always bitch that Jose and Andrea didn't play with passion. Kyle is all heart and passion. What more do you want?

The guy is putting up insane numbers so I see the whole contract year thing. But people on their contract year are usually all about themselves and trying to put up the best individual stats possible. This guys isn't doing that. He is laying his body on the line and he is the heart and soul of this team. How easily could he have pulled up for that last shot after the Patterson steal? The whole contract year argument goes out the window when he is passing up the last shot to a role player. This guy cares and we should sign him and show that we reward that as a franchise.

In my opinion all this talk of trading him just makes the franchise look bad. The Toronto Raptors where you put up MVP like numbers and get traded! Gotta love it
throwbackvault
Pro Prospect
And1: 904

Post#52 » by throwbackvault » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:58 pm

Spacing wrote:
RokoLeniUkic wrote:
pbj wrote:He went on to say "...money is not important to me. My dad is an oil tycoon and I'll play for free."

That was Exxon Vasquez, not Lowry.

Lowry is from Philly, his family is probably dominating the cheese steak sandwich industry.

He's a juicer

at first i thought you meant steriods not now i remember something about a juice company. lol
CrookedJ
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,764

Post#53 » by CrookedJ » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:59 pm

SuperBro
Banned User
And1: 4,694

Post#54 » by SuperBro » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:03 pm

wow09 wrote:Why do we want to trade this guy?

In my opinion we should be trying to sign him asap. We have a talented player who is a leader and plays with a passion that I haven't seen a Raptor play with in at least a decade. And we want to trade him? We are always bitching and moaning that we don't have enough talent and we want to trade our most talented player. We use to always bitch that Jose and Andrea didn't play with passion. Kyle is all heart and passion. What more do you want?

The guy is putting up insane numbers so I see the whole contract year thing. But people on their contract year are usually all about themselves and trying to put up the best individual stats possible. This guys isn't doing that. He is laying his body on the line and he is the heart and soul of this team. How easily could he have pulled up for that last shot after the Patterson steal? The whole contract year argument goes out the window when he is passing up the last shot to a role player. This guy cares and we should sign him and show that we reward that as a franchise.

In my opinion all this talk of trading him just makes the franchise look bad. The Toronto Raptors where you put up MVP like numbers and get traded! Gotta love it

Excellent point about giving the last shot to Patterson. This was the reason I hated Alan stankface Anderson. Lowry is a true leader.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RealGM Forums mobile app
mrdressup
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,263

Post#55 » by mrdressup » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:07 pm

When you look back at the horrific multimillion dollar blunders we have made by signing scrubs and duds it's hard to reconcile why some would opt to not overpay a bit (if we have to) to retain a known quantity like Kyle if he wants to be here. I'm not against extending Lowry for 12-13 million/year for three years, say. He has been that good, but he also has a really evident passion for winning and competing that is a perfect match for what we are going to be about in the next few years. A bottom up rebuilding team would not need Kyle, but we are about winning now. He's exactly what you need in your core as you upgrade the rest.

The last thing we need now is a hole at the point guard position. We currently have one waiting in the wings, and I do not see any easily available pickings around the league to replace what Lowry brings. There are none better in the East to be had.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,094

Post#56 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:10 pm

CrookedJ wrote:Image

This may be the funniest thing I've ever read on this board.
Rhythm043
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,865

Post#57 » by Rhythm043 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:12 pm

I'll admit I was not a Lowry fan last year, but this year he has played amazing. Whether or not its only because its a contract year -- who knows.

Either way, he looks like he's completely transformed his body this year and he looks like a really tough cover for opponents.

I think he has to be resigned at this point with a 4 year deal which will bring him to 31 years of age. Can't let this guy go now and risk him doing what Billups did for Detroit.

Whats really funny and interesting about this whole streak the team has gone on is the fact that the entire starting lineup is still BC's creation. He must be sitting back with a little bit of satisfaction
On Gerald Henderson vs Derozan:
"Yes. Hendo is quite a bit better than DeMar.
So yes, I do believe he's currently the better player and do project that will continue to be in the future. I would also take Turner over DD."
--Throwback24,Jan 2014
pkiskool
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#58 » by pkiskool » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:17 pm

It was the Nets broadcaster who said "Lowry told me that he loves Toronto and would like to stay.." etc.
Meaning it wasn't Lowry who came out and said "I love Toronto guys!".
Meaning we should not all of sudden put him into that Amir / Mo Pete circle.
CarterDUnk16
Bench Warmer
And1: 125

Post#59 » by CarterDUnk16 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:19 pm

wow09 wrote:Why do we want to trade this guy?

This is exactly how i feel about the Lowry situation. In the beginning i was skeptical with his production during a contract year but with the way he's playing, how can you not root for him. I haven't seen a raptor like him since VC's early years. The heart and determination Lowry displays every game is a delight to watch especially for long time raptor fan. These trade talks are absurd. Lowry has earned my respect.
Sent from my SM-T210R using RealGM Forums mobile app
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Re: Lowry: 

Post#60 » by dagger » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:21 pm

Troubadour wrote:There are a lot of talented PGs in the league. It's definitely the deepest position in the NBA. Keep that in mind when trying to predict Lowry's value. Huge supply.

That being said, a team with a lot of cap space that strikes out during free agency could overpay to get him. If the Lakers miss out on Carmelo, for instance, they may overpay to get Deng and Lowry. That can't fit both Lowry and Deng, and if they strike out, they would be better off waiting on Kevin Love in 2015.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using RealGM Forums mobile app

Not only that, but two of the likely top 6 picks in the next draft are point guards (yes, Exum has announced for the draft now), and there are a couple of other good ones, like Tyler Ennis, on the rise.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER

Return to Toronto Raptors