ImageImageImageImageImage

2014 NBA Draft Prospects Thread #3 | Raps picking 20th

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

super_balls
Starter
And1: 1,837

Re: 2014 NBA Draft Prospects Thread #3 | Raps picking 20ish? 

Post#1581 » by super_balls » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:57 am

ballislife wrote:
Pass it wrote:Harrell is the next coming of Kenneth Faried

Who else is able to pull something like this off. I guess he staying to improve his skillset, O well.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PLBwFo5Xbc[/youtube]

He's not in this draft.. decided to stay another season which is surprising. I actually liked him if we were to pick him with #20.

Draftexpress has us taking McDaniels in the updated mock today. He's a huge sleeper pick... I think he has a boat load of potential on both ends... especially with his 2.8 blocks as a wing. His biggest question marks are his 3 pt shooting and his shot selection, but that'll get better with time, and with better players playing with him.

He just seems like a Masai/Casey type of player. Having him developing off the bench with guys like DD and Ross, and maybe VC, that would be a great wing rotation. VC could help those guys tremendously in his final years.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H3fX8W1T9A[/youtube]

I love KJ's potential, he really will be a sleeper in this draft.
ballislife
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,005

Post#1582 » by ballislife » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:14 am

TheGoodDoctor wrote:
ballislife wrote:
Pass it wrote:Harrell is the next coming of Kenneth Faried

Who else is able to pull something like this off. I guess he staying to improve his skillset, O well.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PLBwFo5Xbc[/youtube]

He's not in this draft.. decided to stay another season which is surprising. I actually liked him if we were to pick him with #20.

Draftexpress has us taking McDaniels in the updated mock today. He's a huge sleeper pick... I think he has a boat load of potential on both ends... especially with his 2.8 blocks as a wing. His biggest question marks are his 3 pt shooting and his shot selection, but that'll get better with time, and with better players playing with him.

He just seems like a Masai/Casey type of player. Having him developing off the bench with guys like DD and Ross, and maybe VC, that would be a great wing rotation. VC could help those guys tremendously in his final years.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H3fX8W1T9A[/youtube]

If he were 6'7-6'8 I would say you're right and that he's a shoe in for our pick...but he's not. He's the size of most average SGs and we already have Ross playing out of his natural position, not sure they would want to do that again although I'm sure his block shots has Masai at least considering him.

Masai has been spotted most at Syracuse games which worries me if it's for Grant because the kid is a pure tweener and really doesn't show much refinement at all imo to be a SF. But I've also heard probably even more often that he's been scouting internationally which is intriguing just because how little is known about those prospects (ie/ Nurkic, Capela, Bogdan, Micic etc).

But who knows if he's even looking at them. For example, apparently he loved Giannis as a pick LONG before he was on the radars of most scouts (which makes me hopeful). I mean The Alphabet was barely mentioned until maybe a couple of weeks or so before the draft and a lot of it was a result of rumours of Masai being really intrigued with him.

Hopefully Masai can spot that needle in a haystack again...and hopefully they're not drafted before we get the chance. Whoever we draft though I will say that I'm gonna be really intrigued to see what their potential given how good Masai has been at spotting them.

He would be a no brainer if he was legit 6'7"-6'8", but there's no chance he'd be available at 20 if that were the case. I think McDaniels might be the BPA... there's no point on drafting for need... the best thing to do is accumulate assets and deal with them later.

Adreian Payne still really intrigues me as BPA and best fit as an athletic, long, shooting PF along side JV. He's improved every year and he's had a ton of experience under Izzo at MSU. The only concern are his lungs, which were reported to be smaller than another person his size. He struggled in his first year, but Izzo said some of it was mental. He averaged 28 mpg this past season, so there's hope that conditioning and our great training staff can help monitor and improve that issue. After we do our homework on the prospects at our spot, if Payne's lung issue seems like something that can be managed, I think we need to take him. He's not going to average 30+ minutes anyway. He and Amir would make a great 1-2 punch at PF for us. If Payne shows that he can handle the minutes, I see him and JV making a great pairing going forward. Ideally, I'd hope to start Payne with Amir coming in as a 6th man in the future. It all depends on his health though.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,494

Post#1583 » by bballsparkin » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:36 am

super_balls wrote:
Was that Money Weems missing that lay-up at the end?

It's pretty blurry but good call.

With players in space on the wing, Sonny Weems decided to take the ball strong to the hoop in the final seconds but found his wild floater way off target as Partzian’s 18,000-plus supporters celebrated in Belgrade.

http://www.talkbasket.net/8289-partizan-upset-cska-euroleague-round-up.html
Dukenukem23
Banned User
And1: 1,971

Post#1584 » by Dukenukem23 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:49 am

The most skilled player that is projected to be available at our pick is Bogdan Bogdanovic. I see a Manu type of game with him, excellen shooting, ball handling, athleticism and length. Only issue is whether he wants to play un Europe for a few more years before coming to the NBA.

He also has some similarities to Evan Fournier an international Masai pick in the twenties. Could history repeat? I think Masai has spent a lot of time watching both Bogdanovic and Capela in Europe after earlier reports Ujiri has been scouting players hard overseas.
FireBCPlease
Junior
And1: 215

Post#1585 » by FireBCPlease » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:11 pm

Dukenukem23 wrote:The most skilled player that is projected to be available at our pick is Bogdan Bogdanovic. I see a Manu type of game with him, excellen shooting, ball handling, athleticism and length. Only issue is whether he wants to play un Europe for a few more years before coming to the NBA.

He also has some similarities to Evan Fournier an international Masai pick in the twenties. Could history repeat? I think Masai has spent a lot of time watching both Bogdanovic and Capela in Europe after earlier reports Ujiri has been scouting players hard overseas.

Doesn't look very athletic to me, 40% shooter this season, 1:1 AST/TO, 22 years old when the season starts...pass.
Blast Tyrant
Banned User
And1: 3,059

Post#1586 » by Blast Tyrant » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:55 pm

FireBCPlease wrote:
Dukenukem23 wrote:The most skilled player that is projected to be available at our pick is Bogdan Bogdanovic. I see a Manu type of game with him, excellen shooting, ball handling, athleticism and length. Only issue is whether he wants to play un Europe for a few more years before coming to the NBA.

Doesn't look very athletic to me, 40% shooter this season, 1:1 AST/TO, 22 years old when the season starts...pass.

Half his FG attempts are from 3. It's a deeper 3 point line in Europe (close to NBA) and he's being guarded by men not children. (like in the NCAA) He also was playing PG most of the year when he's clearly a SG, and they aren't as liberal with giving out assists in Europe.

He's a really good prospect, I didn't even know he was declaring for the draft to be honest. The guy reminds me a lot of Jamal Crawford. Smooth handle, ability to create off the dribble and with pick and rolls. Can shoot the lights out from deep. Quick but not overly explosive. Great hesitation move. Long arms. He's a definite sleeper.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHuTnAFNJQM[/youtube]
rapsrealm
Assistant Coach
And1: 424

Post#1587 » by rapsrealm » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:16 pm

Surprising that both Harrell and WCS are going back. Next year is supposed to be loaded with bigs in the draft.
FireBCPlease
Junior

Post#1588 » by FireBCPlease » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:31 pm

Led Zeppelin wrote:Half his FG attempts are from 3. It's a deeper 3 point line in Europe (close to NBA) and he's being guarded by men not children. (like in the NCAA) He also was playing PG most of the year when he's clearly a SG, and they aren't as liberal with giving out assists in Europe.

He's a really good prospect, I didn't even know he was declaring for the draft to be honest. The guy reminds me a lot of Jamal Crawford. Smooth handle, ability to create off the dribble and with pick and rolls. Can shoot the lights out from deep. Quick but not overly explosive. Great hesitation move. Long arms. He's a definite sleeper.

Over half his FGA are from 2 actually and his 2P% is below average still - look at his updated DX stats, that video is old. I'm not doubting whether he's an NBA player cause his length and overall offensive polish give him unique value, but I'm mainly stuck on the point that he doesn't seem that athletic to me. He's not more skilled than Manu and Manu is a better athlete is what I'm essentially saying. He's closer to Delfino than Manu imo. I think we can do better with our pick.

Speaking of which, pass on this guy...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agfXXIgCHp0[/youtube]
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#1589 » by Indeed » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:38 pm

rapsrealm wrote:Surprising that both Harrell and WCS are going back. Next year is supposed to be loaded with bigs in the draft.

I agree. There are a few high ranked PF and C from high school already, now these players are waiting for another year, that could stack the PF/C position.
Dukenukem23
Banned User

Post#1590 » by Dukenukem23 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:26 pm

FireBCPlease wrote:
Led Zeppelin wrote:Half his FG attempts are from 3. It's a deeper 3 point line in Europe (close to NBA) and he's being guarded by men not children. (like in the NCAA) He also was playing PG most of the year when he's clearly a SG, and they aren't as liberal with giving out assists in Europe.

Over half his FGA are from 2 actually and his 2P% is below average still - look at his updated DX stats, that video is old. I'm not doubting whether he's an NBA player cause his length and overall offensive polish give him unique value, but I'm mainly stuck on the point that he doesn't seem that athletic to me. He's not more skilled than Manu and Manu is a better athlete is what I'm essentially saying. He's closer to Delfino than Manu imo. I think we can do better with our pick.

DX has some of his vertical numbers and they are pretty good. He's a pretty good athlete for a Combo guard. Id say he's an above average athlete with a 6' 11" wingspan, 8' 8" reach and a 36" max vertical. That is a ridiculously long combo guard. If he declares this year and stays in the draft (big if) your going to look pretty silly with your statements when you see Bogdanovic play.
Blast Tyrant
Banned User

Post#1591 » by Blast Tyrant » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:36 pm

FireBCPlease wrote:

Agreed on Early. He's the definition of a tweener who won't be able to guard anybody at the next level. His offensive skill set isn't nearly impressive enough to take a gamble on him. He has no position in the NBA.

Comparing Bogdanovic to Ginoblili is ridiculous. I would never expect that out of him. That's a comparison that somebody is making because they're both white. Their games are nothing alike. Crawford is a more realistic best case scenario in my opinion. Their bodies are similar. Their weaknesses are similar. I see him having more potential than Evan Fournier. (who's the same age and Masai already drafted in 2012) He'd really address our weakness of shot creation off the bench. He's got NBA 3 Point Range without a doubt. He seems like a prototypical backup SG that's an offensive sparkplug. He'd play good with Derozan because he can spot up so well. He'd play well with Ross because he can create off the dribble as well.

I prefer getting a playmaking SF, but I don't think there's any way to get Anderson without trading up unfortunately.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,887

Post#1592 » by OAKLEY_2 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:26 pm

Led Zeppelin wrote:
FireBCPlease wrote:

Agreed on Early. He's the definition of a tweener who won't be able to guard anybody at the next level. His offensive skill set isn't nearly impressive enough to take a gamble on him. He has no position in the NBA.

Comparing Bogdanovic to Ginoblili is ridiculous. I would never expect that out of him. That's a comparison that somebody is making because they're both white. Their games are nothing alike. Crawford is a more realistic best case scenario in my opinion. Their bodies are similar. Their weaknesses are similar. I see him having more potential than Evan Fournier. (who's the same age and Masai already drafted in 2012) He'd really address our weakness of shot creation off the bench. He's got NBA 3 Point Range without a doubt. He seems like a prototypical backup SG that's an offensive sparkplug. He'd play good with Derozan because he can spot up so well. He'd play well with Ross because he can create off the dribble as well.

I prefer getting a playmaking SF, but I don't think there's any way to get Anderson without trading up unfortunately.

I wouldn't get too carried away with any particular player but I know MU has scouted a fair bit in Europe and at Syracuse and at Michigan. My feeling is Euros are overlooked somewhat at 20. The point about playing with men is a fact. Bogdanovich put up big numbers against CSKA Moscow at a young age.

Likewise point guards have to really shine as there are more of them which would support selecting someone like Payton to max out talent at #20. The added bonus of Bogdanovich, and there are a few, is he can play both guard positions.
Blast Tyrant
Banned User

Post#1593 » by Blast Tyrant » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:32 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Led Zeppelin wrote:
FireBCPlease wrote:

I wouldn't get too carried away with any particular player but I know MU has scouted a fair bit in Europe and at Syracuse and at Michigan. My feeling is Euros are overlooked somewhat at 20. The point about playing with men is a fact. Bogdanovich put up big numbers against CSKA Moscow at a young age.

Likewise point guards have to really shine as there are more of them which would support selecting someone like Payton to max out talent at #20. The added bonus of Bogdanovich, and there are a few, is he can play both guard positions.

I don't know if we're going to be looking at PG's in all honesty. Vasquez has said he wants to come back, and we did just trade for De Colo at the deadline as well.

I have a feeling if he's been scouting Syracuse and Michigan it would be more for Stauskas, Robinson and Grant than Ennis. With the amount he's been in Europe though, I wouldn't doubt that he's considering Bogdanovich at all.
rapsrealm
Assistant Coach
And1: 424

Post#1594 » by rapsrealm » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:26 pm

FireBCPlease wrote:

From watching that video he reminds me a lot of Delfino as well.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,870

Post#1595 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:30 pm

Stauskas declared.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
FireBCPlease
Junior

Post#1596 » by FireBCPlease » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:32 pm

Dukenukem23 wrote:
DX has some of his vertical numbers and they are pretty good. He's a pretty good athlete for a Combo guard. Id say he's an above average athlete with a 6' 11" wingspan, 8' 8" reach and a 36" max vertical. That is a ridiculously long combo guard. If he declares this year and stays in the draft (big if) your going to look pretty silly with your statements when you see Bogdanovic play.

He looks like Greivis with long arms based on that DX video. Solid player but we should aim for more upside and value with our pick. What does Bogdanovic give us that we don't already have at the G positions?
Dukenukem23
Banned User

Post#1597 » by Dukenukem23 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:42 pm

rapsrealm wrote:
FireBCPlease wrote:

From watching that video he reminds me a lot of Delfino as well.

Bogs is the far superior ball handler and playmaker. Both have similar range and shooting mechanics, other than that not much similarities between the two. What makes Bogdanovic even more intriguing is that we may even be able to get him with our SAC 2nd round pick, amazing value.
Kid Canada
Sixth Man
And1: 104

Post#1598 » by Kid Canada » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:45 pm

I can see Masai taking Capela at 19/20. Raptors need to get a shot blocker, if not Capela the Raptors should look at Hammons, Tavares and Austin in round 2.

Ennis at 19/20 would be good insurance due to the fact that all three of the point guards are free agents.
Kid Canada
Sixth Man
And1: 104

Post#1599 » by Kid Canada » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:51 pm

Ennis, Robinson, Tavares/Austin/Hammons would be a nice draft haul.

PG: Lowry/De Colo/Ennis
SG: Derozan/(Sign VC)
SF: Ross/Fields/Robinson
PF: Amir/Pat Pat
C: Val/Hayes/(Rookie C)

Maybe Stauskas would be a better option if you can bring back both Lowry and De Colo/Vasquez.
Wizdome
Starter
And1: 2,677

Post#1600 » by Wizdome » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:51 pm

the only thing we should be looking to draft for is another C to back up for Jonas and a true SF or if necessary, the best player available even if its another shooting guard but only if said shooting guard is projected to be better than the ones we already have so much of on this roster. I'm already excited to see what Masai and his team will bring to the squad, Masai has a real knack for evaluating skills sets.
I like you.

Return to Toronto Raptors