ImageImageImageImageImage

Dwyer: Raptor Fans want to stop the Pizza

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

MontyJr84
Ballboy
And1: 3

Re: Dwyer: Raptor Fans want to stop the Pizza 

Post#21 » by MontyJr84 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:38 am

How about if the raptors just win? It would keep the meaning to what everyone is there for. What's the big deal about 100 points?
PdiC
Senior
And1: 395

Post#22 » by PdiC » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:45 am

Just change it to 100 points with a minute left AND a win.
"Easy woman. Easy. Don't make Leo slap you around again. Don't make Leo lay another beating on you. Don't make me call my friend Kobe". It was nice to know that I had not only Leo Rautin's back on this one, but also Kobe Bryant's.
gametimetdot
Sophomore
And1: 232

Post#23 » by gametimetdot » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:34 pm

"IF" this promo stays, it can only truly 'work' if they give away pizza for a simple 'WIN' (nothing to do with the 100 pts marker, or keeping opponent pts below 100). That will eliminate the ability of band-wagoners to 'boo' OUR team after they JUST WON THE GAME. Yeesh. (Put the focus on the 'W', not pepperoni)
mintsa
Head Coach
And1: 3,745

Post#24 » by mintsa » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:41 pm

Agreed. This promo in its current for fas to go. As the above poster said. It should be as simple as the raptors win = free pizza slice.
Meursault
Starter
And1: 1,037

Post#25 » by Meursault » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:52 pm

what in the world have we come to if we are upset that we don't get a free slice of pizza? the thing that i find troubling is that the fans that boo probably aren't upset about not getting the free slice of pizza, but do so from the sense of entitlement that they're being deprived of something that they SHOULD get for free.

if you replaced a free pizza with a pack of bazooka joe bubblegum or a free pencil, the crowd reaction would probably still be the same. i liked the food bank idea that someone mentioned earlier - but that would have other negative externalities that i'm uncomfortable with...it could enrage the crowd further if Lowry dribbles the ball out with 15 seconds left in a 99-65 blowout because it's the conventional norm in such scenarios. not to mention, the association of an act of entertainment and its outcome with that of feeding people is somewhat disturbing.

the idea of superfluous promotional gimmicks in general is silly. it really cheapens the emotional satisfaction that one gets from watching his/her team win a match by replacing it with a worthless commodity; it just exacerbates the omnipresent infiltration of consumerism in every facet of non-material utility that one can acquire in life (like the expectation of giving gifts on Christmas, Valentines, Mother's Day/Father's Day).

#notacommunist
#okmaybejustalittle
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,558

Post#26 » by s e n s i » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:55 pm

"small personal sized pizza"?! you mean a "slice", dwyer? a small personal sized pizza from pizza pizza sounds like the most unappetizing fast food pizza one could buy around here. no one needs more bland tasteless crust on their pizza pizza
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,971

Post#27 » by MEDIC » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:46 pm

Nice to see someone bringing attention to this. Our local guys should run with it too.

I like the Washington promotion:

The Washington Wizards run a promotion that wins fans a free chicken sandwich from a local fast food chain if an opposing player misses free throws in a selected fourth quarter of a contest, giving fans a further incentive to boo lustily as the Bad Guys line one up from the charity stripe. Other teams utilize defensive hallmarks as a way to win the fans some free food.

If you are going to create a promotion......don't create one that will cause booing after the home town team wins a basketball game. It's not that hard to figure out.....
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
JWiLL02
RealGM
And1: 2,443

Post#28 » by JWiLL02 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:59 pm

Varos wrote:No one cares for that nasty pizza. Fans cheer for the 100 points scored - usually a win.

Except when the fans boo when we win, but fall just short of 100.

It was shockingly loud last time when I was there...and there wasn't even the "boos changing into cheers for the win" that normally happens. Was quite surprised.

Must have been a particularly fat, grumpy crowd.
*Sig courtesy of Raptors' royalty 'Turbozone'. http://www.turbozone.ca"
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,132

Post#29 » by duppyy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:05 pm

I wonder how many of those "fans" actually redeem the free slice. I never do. If I'm downtown I'm getting food that actually tastes good.
MEDIC
RealGM

Post#30 » by MEDIC » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:08 pm

Problem with a promotion like that in Toronto is that a lot of the fans at the stadium aren't true hardcore basketball fans. Many of them are simply there for a night out on the town. Say they went to the game, etc.

Then you get the obnoxious fans that just go to yell at anything & act like jackasses.
MEDIC
RealGM

Post#31 » by MEDIC » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:09 pm

duppyy wrote:I wonder how many of those "fans" actually redeem the free slice. I never do. If I'm downtown I'm getting food that actually tastes good.

Yeah, I don't think many of them get redeemed. The pizza booing thing is no different than booing Rudy Gay when he came back. Fans here just like to boo......even when it isn't logical to do so.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#32 » by J-Roc » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:31 pm

Glad to see more people talking about the promotion being a slice for a win. It's too simple.

But the bigger discussion we refuse to have is that....let's face it....Toronto fans aren't very basketball savvy. It's a hockey town, it's NBA Siberia. It's all the bad things people say. Sure, there are some hardcore fans that get the game. But clearly the boos in the arena show that a big segment of the fans who show up to the arena aren't basketball savvy.

Bottom line is fans in a hockey arena wouldn't cheer a guy, even on their own team, for taking a shot after the whistle. Why? Because it's just known you don't do that. And in basketball it's just known the home team doesn't take the last shot when they're up. It's just so ingrained into basketball culture, the fans shouldn't cheer for their team to take a shot. But they do. The Raptors have a great fan base in terms of getting fans to the arena for a losing team. But they do not have a large knowledgeable fanbase.

And add to the list Raps fans doing the "wave" during Raptor free throws. smh It's like the SkyDome days weren't 20yrs ago.
ryanmkd52
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#33 » by ryanmkd52 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:42 pm

Chances are many of you won't agree, but I'd really like to see something done in a charitable sense. I mean, if you're at a Raps game, you can probably afford a slice of pizza. I'd love to see them do something like donating 1 slice per person in attendance at a home win.

I haven't put any thought into the red tape regarding donating the pizza but I'd really prefer to see them do something that benefits the community.

Thoughts?
gametimetdot
Sophomore
And1: 232

Post#34 » by gametimetdot » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:00 pm

Snooch
Banned User
And1: 1,027

Post#35 » by Snooch » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:03 pm

Like a previous poster said, just donate pizza to a food bank on every home win.

They could just run numbers on the giveaway in previous years to fairly estimate what the amount is given and make the donation amount equal to that. Instead of giving away 25K slices a season, just give 10K pizzas to shelters, etc.
ryanmkd52
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#36 » by ryanmkd52 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:06 pm

Snooch wrote: Instead of giving away 25K slices a season, just give 10K pizzas to shelters, etc.

That's a great idea
Snooch
Banned User

Post#37 » by Snooch » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:11 pm

ryanmkd52 wrote:
Snooch wrote: Instead of giving away 25K slices a season, just give 10K pizzas to shelters, etc.

That's a great idea

I think that is a promotion that people can get behind, IMO it is easier to support that, major tax writeoff for the company, far better public relations from it.

I would assume alot of fans dont bother with the free slice, so I for one would be more than happy to have it go to the needy. We are Canadian after all, we generally put the need of others ahead of ourselves.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#38 » by J-Roc » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:13 pm

Snooch wrote:Like a previous poster said, just donate pizza to a food bank on every home win.

They could just run numbers on the giveaway in previous years to fairly estimate what the amount is given and make the donation amount equal to that. Instead of giving away 25K slices a season, just give 10K pizzas to shelters, etc.

Wow, that would be weak. If giving to fans in an arena, then 19,800 slices are available. If giving to a charity, only 10,000 slices are available.

Snooch
Banned User

Post#39 » by Snooch » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:16 pm

J-Roc wrote:
Snooch wrote:Like a previous poster said, just donate pizza to a food bank on every home win.

Wow, that would be weak. If giving to fans in an arena, then 19,800 slices are available. If giving to a charity, only 10,000 slices are available.

But not all tickets are claimed, and I said 10K pizzas, must be at least 6-8 slicer per pizza.

And I don't know what the numbers are, but I would think that if on a regular season they give out "x" number of pizza slices, then this way it should be "x-%" the % covers additional cost of making all the pizzas at once, and delivery.
Sophomore
And1: 170

Post#40 » by 1995 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:54 pm

I doubt 1 in 20 slices are actually claimed, since you have to claim it the next day most people forget, threw away their ticket, and/or can't be bothered.

In any case petition signed even though alerting TL or Masai or a radioshow that interviews them is probably more productive.

https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... ent-format

Return to Toronto Raptors