ImageImageImageImageImage

T-ross vs DeMar - Potential wise?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Sheldon Cooper
Pro Prospect
And1: 810

Re: T-ross vs DeMar - Potential wise? 

Post#41 » by Sheldon Cooper » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:12 am

efrivela wrote:
Crazy_NBA_Fan wrote:
efrivela wrote:It's worth pointing out that Derozan is 24 and Ross is 23.

Demar is turning 25 this year though.

They are 17 months apart. People tend to forget this because Demar is in his fifth year and Ross only in year two.

Those three years of NBA experience make a huge difference though. Ross is already showing signs of putting it together, particularly with improved passing and occasional forrays to the rim. He is already a better defender and a better shooter - particularly from distance. A very subtle thing about his game is that he rarely forces a shot unless it's at the end of the shot clock.

That said, DeMar is stronger and his athleticism is underrated on this board. He can also defend when he chooses to, taking charges and moving his feet but tends to coast a bit on that end. This season, he's become very good at reading situations and spreading the love with some nice passes. Like Ross, he also needs to improve his ball handling skills to complete his game.

I think they are both above-average wings which is great to see after years of having to deal with subpar play at those positions. Why not enjoy them both for what they are?
m83588333
Analyst
And1: 1,383

Post#42 » by m83588333 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:13 am

They are completely difference players DD offensively is a SF but not defensively. TRoss is a classic SG offensively and defensively. DD will always score more than Ross because of FT. Ross will never draw fouls like DD.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
Chriscross
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,190

Post#43 » by Chriscross » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:21 am

rapsfanhere wrote:
Chriscross wrote:
rapsfanhere wrote:
Handles? I thought we were comparing him to Derozan?

Read between the lines. The difference between DeMar and Ross offensively is one player is able to create his own shot and the other isn't. That speaks to Ross and his ball handling ability. I don't see enough improvement for him to create his own shot consistently like DeMar

Not sure why you are touting DeMar's subpar ball handling (a step up from atrocious in his first few years) and his inefficient scoring. There is a reason we can't give Derozan the last shot. Ross has the ability to match these skills and surpass them with better D and a solid 3 point shot.

Its funny that we love to criticize DeMar and his inefficient scoring when his FG% is higher than Ross and DeMar is the one who gets all the attention

Also, I never touted DeMars ball handling but Ross is not even on the same level as DeMar ball handling wise
Love List
Drazen Petrovic
Pete Maravich
Stephen Curry
Jusuf Nurkic
m83588333
Analyst

Post#44 » by m83588333 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:39 am

DeMar has improved a lot handling the ball and passing. Eventually DD has to become the sixth man driving picking up fouls wears players down. Wade is another SG playing SF and now he's a wreck. Next season DD should play under 30 mpg it will prolong his career. Probably avg 20+ ppg and 6 APG as the sixth

Using Tapatalk
Pass it
Rookie
And1: 883

Post#45 » by Pass it » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:46 am

Chriscross wrote:
rapsfanhere wrote:
Chriscross wrote:
DeMar is the better player between him and Ross

Currently, but this is about potential. I think Ross has the potential to be better with his skillset.

Defensively, absolutely

Offensively, His handles are a huge weakness right now because it limits his ability to create his own shot. Before the draft, one of the main weaknesses that were pointed out about Ross was his small hands and how that could limit his dribbling ability. I think that will hurt his ability to expand his game

Check the combine results again

http://www.nbadraft.net/2012-nba-combine-measurements

Ross has huge hands for a wing player. His hand width is 10.25"
knohow
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#46 » by knohow » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:27 am

Pass it wrote:
Chriscross wrote:
rapsfanhere wrote:
Currently, but this is about potential. I think Ross has the potential to be better with his skillset.

Defensively, absolutely

Offensively, His handles are a huge weakness right now because it limits his ability to create his own shot. Before the draft, one of the main weaknesses that were pointed out about Ross was his small hands and how that could limit his dribbling ability. I think that will hurt his ability to expand his game

http://www.nbadraft.net/2012-nba-combine-measurements hand width is 10.25"

3.2% bodyfat? :o
onions17
Starter
And1: 637

Post#47 » by onions17 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:13 am

This thread reminds me of when people (the majority of this board at the time) stating Charlie V and Bargnani were going to overtake Bosh in their rookie years. Charlie V had the 48 point game and there was some quote from assistant coach Triano that he thought Bargnani would become the raptors best offensive player

we all know what happened (and I am a huge Ross supporter)
Q00 wrote:When scoring over 100 pts and giving up under 100 pts, they are 11-0

Clearly defense is the difference between winning and losing for this team.
nesta
Sixth Man
And1: 241

Post#48 » by nesta » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:10 am

onions17 wrote:This thread reminds me of when people (the majority of this board at the time) stating Charlie V and Bargnani were going to overtake Bosh in their rookie years. Charlie V had the 48 point game and there was some quote from assistant coach Triano that he thought Bargnani would become the raptors best offensive player

we all know what happened (and I am a huge Ross supporter)

The difference is that Ross is actually more athletic, if not as athletic as DeRozan at the same age. Charlie V and Bargnani are stiffs compared to Bosh.
Dukenukem23
Banned User
And1: 1,971

Post#49 » by Dukenukem23 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:35 am

Pass it wrote:
Chriscross wrote:
rapsfanhere wrote:

Defensively, absolutely

http://www.nbadraft.net/2012-nba-combine-measurements

Ross has huge hands for a wing player. His hand width is 10.25"

He must mean his arms and I'd agree short arms are a detriment to dribbling. Having massive hands like Ross does help counter that a little but long arms help keep that dribble low and out of the defenders hands.
godkingleonidas
Banned User
And1: 2,215

Post#50 » by godkingleonidas » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:04 am

One day DeDe & T-Ross are gonna laugh at these threads. While polishing their championship rings. Remember G. Hill & A. Houston? Another dynasty (in the making) which never came to fruition.

RaptorReloaded
Veteran
And1: 970

Post#51 » by RaptorReloaded » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:50 am

rapsfanhere wrote:
sogood wrote:Ross is a 3 and D guy. I seriously doubt he'll ever become an all-star. So DeMar.

So what is DeMar, a no 3 or D, long 2 guy?

An All-Star
Snooch
Banned User
And1: 1,027

Post#52 » by Snooch » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:42 am

gojoorange wrote:The biggest difference between them will be their focus. Demar's focus is unbelievable. He is always locked in and very self motivated. Terrence is a bit laissez faire and relies on his physical gifts a lot more. Not saying he can't change, but there will need to be some type of catalyst to get him there. Demar will continue to be the better player because he doesn't just want it, he goes and gets it.

all assumtions
Snooch
Banned User
And1: 1,027

Post#53 » by Snooch » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:44 am

big question is,

I Demar and Ross great together

or

Is ross at sg and a true sf better....
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#54 » by Indeed » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:29 am

Snooch wrote:big question is,

I Demar and Ross great together

or

Is ross at sg and a true sf better....

If you don't have enough scoring (as right now), then DeRozan is better. We have scoring from our PG, but we don't have scoring from our PF, then it is better to have DeRozan. Or if we overpay Pierce for his final contact (maybe at DeRozan's contract range?).

If we have a scoring PF and PG, then our SF can be a bit more balance or perhaps focus on defense. Playing with Patterson, you can have Salmons, otherwise, Salmons may have to chuck up his shot, because other options can be worse.

As for DeRozan, he is better off to play with a defensive SF who can shoot the 3s, otherwise, he will get less mis-match for his scoring. Ross helps him at the beginning when teams are not focus on stopping DeRozan, but late in the season, people have bigger and more physical defenders on DeRozan.
m83588333
Analyst

Post#55 » by m83588333 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:44 am

Amir provides enough scoring.Next season Val will get more touches in the post and Amir has a midrange jumper. Amir can give you 10 ppg without the ball getting a Monroe means fewer looks for Val. Toronto should become a half court team running their offense through the post like Memphis. Moving DeRozan to sixth let's Toronto run without Val. Lowry/DeColo Carter/Ross DD Paterson and a running center uses 4 shooters and one big as a second unit

Using Tapatalk
load management
Analyst
And1: 1,871

Post#56 » by load management » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:45 pm

Chriscross wrote:
rapsfanhere wrote:
Chriscross wrote:
Read between the lines. The difference between DeMar and Ross offensively is one player is able to create his own shot and the other isn't. That speaks to Ross and his ball handling ability. I don't see enough improvement for him to create his own shot consistently like DeMar

Not sure why you are touting DeMar's subpar ball handling (a step up from atrocious in his first few years) and his inefficient scoring. There is a reason we can't give Derozan the last shot. Ross has the ability to match these skills and surpass them with better D and a solid 3 point shot.

Its funny that we love to criticize DeMar and his inefficient scoring when his FG% is higher than Ross and DeMar is the one who gets all the attention

Also, I never touted DeMars ball handling but Ross is not even on the same level as DeMar ball handling wise

Their FG is very close, however Ross takes less shots and shoots more 3's. We can call them both inefficient for now.
**** the Tony Brothers
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#57 » by Indeed » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:55 pm

m83588333 wrote:Amir provides enough scoring.Next season Val will get more touches in the post and Amir has a midrange jumper. Amir can give you 10 ppg without the ball getting a Monroe means fewer looks for Val. Toronto should become a half court team running their offense through the post like Memphis. Moving DeRozan to sixth let's Toronto run without Val. Lowry/DeColo Carter/Ross DD Paterson and a running center uses 4 shooters and one big as a second unit

Amir is not spreading the floor enough for DeRozan to operate in the paint. It would be best to have a scoring PF to set screen, where he gets more attention to reduce cheating by defenders. As for Jonas, he maybe a better offensive player to do those, however, it is best to have more firepower in the front court.

I agree that Toronto should become a half court team, and it seems Jonas enjoys slow pace (his post up game), but I don't think we have enough talent to score simply in a half court set. Memphis has 2 post scorer, as compare to us, where we only have Jonas. This is why Casey asks his team to run and try to score on transition. It is best to have another scoring big if we are moving to half court set.
godkingleonidas
Banned User
And1: 2,215

Post#58 » by godkingleonidas » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:42 pm

"Here we go again ... Again" - Tug Speedman
Chuck Newhouse
Banned User
And1: 980

Post#59 » by Chuck Newhouse » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:50 pm

I don't think Ross believes in himself yet and I'm undecided as to whether it ever happens. The potential is there though.
m83588333
Analyst

Post#60 » by m83588333 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:51 pm

Marc Gasol is a great passing center and ZBo and Gasol work great together under the basket. Val and Amir need to work out a way to play together. If they develop a post dynamic Ross and Lowry become much more dangerous outside with DD playing the midrange. Means Toronto becomes less of a screen Dependant offense.

Using Tapatalk

Return to Toronto Raptors