ImageImageImageImageImage

T-ross vs DeMar - Potential wise?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Snooch
Banned User
And1: 1,027

Re: T-ross vs DeMar - Potential wise? 

Post#61 » by Snooch » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:18 pm

Indeed wrote:
Snooch wrote:big question is,

I Demar and Ross great together

or

Is ross at sg and a true sf better....

If you don't have enough scoring (as right now), then DeRozan is better. We have scoring from our PG, but we don't have scoring from our PF, then it is better to have DeRozan. Or if we overpay Pierce for his final contact (maybe at DeRozan's contract range?).

If we have a scoring PF and PG, then our SF can be a bit more balance or perhaps focus on defense. Playing with Patterson, you can have Salmons, otherwise, Salmons may have to chuck up his shot, because other options can be worse.

As for DeRozan, he is better off to play with a defensive SF who can shoot the 3s, otherwise, he will get less mis-match for his scoring. Ross helps him at the beginning when teams are not focus on stopping DeRozan, but late in the season, people have bigger and more physical defenders on DeRozan.

Fair enough, my preference for what I feel is a more balanced harder to stop offense would be scoring from frontcourt and PG. Perhaps JV and Patterson can fill that front court roll nicely with Amir as a primary backup, Lowry as the pg and Ross as the sg leaving a a sf that is big and can defend as the only piece needed to be picked up.

But I strongly feel that Demars solid season should be used to nab a legit PF, I love amir, pat is a fun player but I want a legit 20 and 10 threat from that spot, paired with an improving JV up front and Amir the primary big off the bench.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,407

Post#62 » by Lateral Quicks » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:21 pm

I agree with the consensus: Ross has the higher ceiling, but it's unknown as to whether he has the drive to ever reach it. Unless he does, DD will be probably be the better player.

To develop further, Ross needs more shots on offense, but it's unclear where those are going to come from. JV will probably get a boost up to roughly 15 shots per game next year, and I at best DD's attempts will plateau. Hopefully Lowry is back, and again his shot attempts will probably plateau. That doesn't leave a whole lot of room for Ross to develop. The answer may be to be smarter with his rotations and play him more with the bench unit. I've been arguing for this all year: at least one of DD and Ross should be on the floor at all times.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Cold Logic
Banned User
And1: 328

Post#63 » by Cold Logic » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:26 pm

We have both and hopefully won't **** it up again.
Swag
RealGM
And1: 9,523

Post#64 » by Swag » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:59 pm

Ross. No doubt
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#65 » by Indeed » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:13 pm

m83588333 wrote:Marc Gasol is a great passing center and ZBo and Gasol work great together under the basket. Val and Amir need to work out a way to play together. If they develop a post dynamic Ross and Lowry become much more dangerous outside with DD playing the midrange. Means Toronto becomes less of a screen Dependant offense.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The simplest/quickest way is to hope Amir gets a jumper. His 3 point range is getting there, and his release seems to be faster now. However, it will be a very big challenge for him. He is still young, and his other game is very rounded already, therefore, he only needs to focus on improving his jump shot in his spare time.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#66 » by Indeed » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:17 pm

Snooch wrote:
Indeed wrote:
Snooch wrote:big question is,

I Demar and Ross great together

or

Is ross at sg and a true sf better....

If you don't have enough scoring (as right now), then DeRozan is better. We have scoring from our PG, but we don't have scoring from our PF, then it is better to have DeRozan. Or if we overpay Pierce for his final contact (maybe at DeRozan's contract range?).

If we have a scoring PF and PG, then our SF can be a bit more balance or perhaps focus on defense. Playing with Patterson, you can have Salmons, otherwise, Salmons may have to chuck up his shot, because other options can be worse.

As for DeRozan, he is better off to play with a defensive SF who can shoot the 3s, otherwise, he will get less mis-match for his scoring. Ross helps him at the beginning when teams are not focus on stopping DeRozan, but late in the season, people have bigger and more physical defenders on DeRozan.

Fair enough, my preference for what I feel is a more balanced harder to stop offense would be scoring from frontcourt and PG. Perhaps JV and Patterson can fill that front court roll nicely with Amir as a primary backup, Lowry as the pg and Ross as the sg leaving a a sf that is big and can defend as the only piece needed to be picked up.

But I strongly feel that Demars solid season should be used to nab a legit PF, I love amir, pat is a fun player but I want a legit 20 and 10 threat from that spot, paired with an improving JV up front and Amir the primary big off the bench.

I am not seeing any PF available. Even there are FA SF in Pierce, Granger, and etc, where they will excel in Casey's system (good shooters to spread the floor for Jonas, play similar system in Boston/Indiana), but I am not sure if they are willing to come. Best would be a 2 years contract, so we can evaluate as Jonas and Ross have their rookie contract expire, and we can look at some RFA (eg. Terrence Jones) of that year as well.
m83588333
Analyst
And1: 1,383

Post#67 » by m83588333 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:22 pm

Amir doesn't need to become Paterson. an elbow jumper is enough to clear space JV and Amir need to improve their passing. Paterson and DD are perfect in terms of spacing and pick and pop screening while Ross and Amir pick and roll work well

Using Tapatalk
m83588333
Analyst

Post#68 » by m83588333 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:25 pm

Another person suggested Kyle Korver. Chandler Parsons Haywood. But Toronto has never had luck with white 3pt shooters.( not to be racist but Bargs, Kapono, Novak, Bellineli, etc)

Using Tapatalk
Indeed
RealGM

Post#69 » by Indeed » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:35 pm

m83588333 wrote:Amir doesn't need to become Paterson. an elbow jumper is enough to clear space JV and Amir need to improve their passing. Paterson and DD are perfect in terms of spacing and pick and pop screening while Ross and Amir pick and roll work well

I don't see Amir needs to improve his passing. Jonas definitely needs to improve his passing and basketball IQ/vision, but Amir has enough experience along with good passing.

Amir has a lot of teamwork ability developed, and it is best for him to add one of 1) Post up game, 2) Mid range quick release or 3) Spot up (3 point range). Spot up 3 point range is among the easiest. He can start his post up game, but it is going to take him 3 or 4 years. Even he is young, postup may not be his game. His game is quickness, a mid range with face up would be nice as well.
m83588333
Analyst

Post#70 » by m83588333 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:40 pm

Amir hasn't played with a center in Toronto. If they can become half as good as ZBo and Gasol Toronto becomes dangerous. Memphis Frontcourt has played together for years and it shows on of fence and defense. They played together for less than one since they weren't paired early in the season.

Using Tapatalk
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,364

Post#71 » by Hero » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:23 pm

sogood wrote:Ross is a 3 and D guy. I seriously doubt he'll ever become an all-star. So DeMar.

Based on what we've seen this far, Demar, and it's not even close.
Snooch
Banned User
And1: 1,027

Post#72 » by Snooch » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:44 pm

Indeed wrote:
Snooch wrote:
Indeed wrote:

I am not seeing any PF available. Even there are FA SF in Pierce, Granger, and etc, where they will excel in Casey's system (good shooters to spread the floor for Jonas, play similar system in Boston/Indiana), but I am not sure if they are willing to come. Best would be a 2 years contract, so we can evaluate as Jonas and Ross have their rookie contract expire, and we can look at some RFA (eg. Terrence Jones) of that year as well.

Mr Love is, Horford might be for the right offer, Monroe,
pkiskool
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#73 » by pkiskool » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:31 pm

Derozan has peaked.
Anyone who thinks he'll get better from here on is delusional.
I give him credit for getting up this far though, that is purely due to him doing his homework.
6moomoo6
Pro Prospect
And1: 995

Post#74 » by 6moomoo6 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Give Ross 4+ years as the number one option, guaranteed 35+ mins with no pressure of being benched on one or two mistakes and the green light to shamelessly chuck away while not having to play a lick of defence, I'm sure Ross can definitely put up DD's numbers.
mrsocko
Sixth Man
And1: 873

Post#75 » by mrsocko » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:08 pm

Ross has the most potential because Demar has already reached 90% of his potential.

Potential means your not worth a crap right now.
Dick expectation level 0/5

Return to Toronto Raptors