ImageImageImageImageImage

FiveThirtyEight.com estimates the standings barring injuries

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Post#1 » by sule » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:26 am

A couple interesting blurbs that this board would be interested in...

It’s easier to make a surprising run to the top of your division when you’re the healthiest team in the league, as the Toronto Raptors were this season. If the Brooklyn Nets’ center Brook Lopez hadn’t fractured his right foot’s fifth metatarsal and forwards Kevin Garnett and Andrei Kirilenko hadn’t succumbed to back spasms that cost them a combined 45 games, the simulation predicts a healthy Nets team would have flirted with 50 wins. That increases their win total by four games, placing them first in the division. In real life, injuries overextended the minutes of veterans Garnett and Paul Pierce and increased the responsibilities of role players like Reggie Evans and Mirza Teletovic.

Not even a clean bill of health rescues the other teams in the division. The New York Knicks get worse in our alternate reality, not helped by their power forward Andrea Bargnani making up the 40 games he missed. Same for the Boston Celtics and their point guard Rajon Rondo. And the Philadelphia 76ers are hopeless no matter what: Rookie Nerlens Noel4 and shooting guard Jason Richardson, along with several other players, aren’t enough to keep them from finishing with the league’s second-worst record.

The rest of the article is an interesting thought-experiment.

Make of it what you will.
SmoothTofu
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,655

Re: FiveThirtyEight.com estimates the standings barring inju 

Post#2 » by SmoothTofu » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:47 am

TIL the wizards finished with a .598 win percentage which would have risen to .479 without injuries.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,165

Post#3 » by YogurtProducer » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:48 am

Wasn't it Brook Lopez breaking his foot which led to the Nets success?
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#4 » by Double Helix » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:58 am

Sports science gets minimized yet again it seems. Injury prevention was an investment the Toronto Raptors made. It paid off.
Roland Brice
Banned User
And1: 2,705

Post#5 » by Roland Brice » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:59 am

Is this based on an assumption that the rest of the league is 100% healthy as well? I fail to see how win percentages of teams drop without injuries otherwise.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,411

Post#6 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:07 am

YogurtProducer wrote:Wasn't it Brook Lopez breaking his foot which led to the Nets success?

No. The Nets got off to a slow start because they had a new (and terrible coach) and a bunch of new faces that needed to be worked into the lineup. It takes time to build chemistry.

The Nets had a better record last year with Lopez than they do this year without him. I'd venture to say that they would have been a 50+ win team with him in the lineup.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,165

Post#7 » by YogurtProducer » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:15 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Wasn't it Brook Lopez breaking his foot which led to the Nets success?

No. The Nets got off to a slow start because they had a new (and terrible coach) and a bunch of new faces that needed to be worked into the lineup. It takes time to build chemistry.

The Nets had a better record last year with Lopez than they do this year without him. I'd venture to say that they would have been a 50+ win team with him in the lineup.

Granted I didn't watch the nets. But from what I always heard was it wasn't until after he broke his got and pierce slid to the 4 did they really start to play anything like a team
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
cruwinas
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,531

Post#8 » by cruwinas » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:43 am

I can write a big list of "ifs", Raptors finishing at least 60-22.
:crazy:
snomeister
Starter
And1: 1,853

Post#9 » by snomeister » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:56 am

So Bulls get worse without injuries?

Return to Toronto Raptors