ImageImageImageImageImage

2014-15 Trade/Signing Idea Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,179

Re: 2014-15 Trade/Signing Idea Thread 

Post#1601 » by Mr Swagtastic » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:31 pm

chuckdevlin wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:I get the feeling Atlanta will only make trades that they think will help them win. They have attendance issues even when the team plays well. Imagine how little revenue they would make while tanking? There in a bind with Horford. When healthy he's great. But that hasn't been the case lately and his contract is coming up. I wouldn't give up much for him for that reason. But if the Hawks wanted picks and cap space I'd definitely be interested. JV, Horford, sound nice together. But I'd like to keep Amir if possible. And Patterson too, hah.

You are absolutely right.
Rebuilding would suck in Atlanta, but I think their options are potentially limited.

The Hawks are in an odd spot;
Millsap is getting a raise next summer from his very reasonable 9.5m and the question really becomes if the Hawks are going to be willing to pay a 30 year old Millsap the money and years he will command July 1st 2015.

If not I would imagine they look to move him over the course of the season or risk losing him for nothing next summer, and if you lose him for nothing and once again fail to attract talent with your capspace July 2015 you don't have a huge need for a 29 year old Horford on the last year of his deal, you almost have to rebuild at that point.

I could see them nearing the deadline deciding to clear both Millsap and Horford for picks, prospects, and expirings.

Ross + Amir + PPat+ Caboclo + Nogeuira + 2015 1st + 2016 NYK/DEN Pick + Fields + rights to Deandre Daniels + future 2nd + Cash considerations
for
Milsap + Horford

JV/Milsap/Hayes/Stiemsma
Horford/Milsap/Hans
DD/JJ / Hamilton
Vasquez/Lou/Vas/DD/min
Lowry/Vas/Lou/min

Deal value splits into:
Ross + Caboclo + Fields + 2015 1st + future 2nd for Milsap
Amir + PPat + Nogueira + 2016 NYK/DEN for Horford

Good lord you just gutted or team for what Millsap who could leave in less then a year and Horford who can leave in less then 2. Take out Ross or Caboclo or something like that.

If Atlanta turned this down they would be stupid and this is a illegal trade because Noguiera can't go back to his team for 1 full year
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Dubeta
Banned User
And1: 221

Post#1602 » by Dubeta » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:54 pm

people hate on hayes because i think he plays out of position. I think Hayes could play the 3/4 pretty well considering the weaker guys he would be up against. He can defend them well, as well as post them up when needed be.

Lowry/vasquez/lou
demar/hamilton/fields
ross/jj/hayes
amir/pp/bruno
jonas/hans/nog
RonaldArtest
General Manager
And1: 12,531

Post#1603 » by RonaldArtest » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:20 pm

Dubeta wrote:people hate on hayes because i think he plays out of position. I think Hayes could play the 3/4 pretty well considering the weaker guys he would be up against. He can defend them well, as well as post them up when needed be.

Lowry/vasquez/lou
demar/hamilton/fields
ross/jj/hayes
amir/pp/bruno
jonas/hans/nog

You think Hayes can guard the 3??
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#1604 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:25 am

Dubeta wrote:people hate on hayes because i think he plays out of position. I think Hayes could play the 3/4 pretty well considering the weaker guys he would be up against. He can defend them well, as well as post them up when needed be.

Hayes is far too slow to stay in front of the majority of wings in the NBA.
His height may imply he could be a three, but his skillset does not.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
cb4_jo6
Senior
And1: 357

Post#1605 » by cb4_jo6 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:16 am

Toronto Trades:
Landry Fields
Chuck Hayes

Detroit Trades:
Josh Smith
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#1606 » by hyper316 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:59 am

cb4_jo6 wrote:Toronto Trades:
Landry Fields
Chuck Hayes

Detroit Trades:
Josh Smith

we have a poor man's version of josh smith in james johnson, and JJ is paid $5M over 2 years, not $40M over next 3 years.
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#1607 » by hyper316 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:10 am

trading with Altanta for one of their bigs (horford or milsap) makes a lot of sense since they drafted adreian payne.

i see them asking for Ross and picks, but it seems much for a 1 year rental for milsap or 2 year of injury prone horford. as going along with others, hawks would need to be tanking to trade away their bigs
dhackett1565
Sixth Man
And1: 1,678
Location: Pessimist central, wondering how I got here, unable to find my way out.

Post#1608 » by dhackett1565 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:54 pm

Mr Swagtastic wrote:Good lord you just gutted or team for what Millsap who could leave in less then a year and Horford who can leave in less then 2. Take out Ross or Caboclo or something like that.

If Atlanta turned this down they would be stupid and this is a illegal trade because Noguiera can't go back to his team for 1 full year

Just a note. I haven't checked the salary amounts, so it could still be an illegal trade, but not for the reason you quote here. BeBe never signed with ATL, his rights were traded to us. As such, we can trade him to them whenever we like.

I do agree that it is an insane amount to be giving up for an injury prone C and an expiring contract though.
Alfred re: Coach Mitchell - "My doctor botched my surgury and sewed my hand to my head, but I can't really comment on that, because I'm not a doctor, and thus he is above my criticism."
sweetcity
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,289

Post#1609 » by sweetcity » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:03 pm

The way the east is playing out I just want to sit tight and use our cap space for a good player. We are contenders as is right now, we dont need to trade our young pieces as well. We have one of the best futures in the league right now. The only trade out there I'd do right now is

Fields + Hayes + 2ND for Garnett

I do it because I think JV could stand to learn more toughness.
theSkinny
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,277

Post#1610 » by theSkinny » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:56 pm

sweetcity wrote:The way the east is playing out I just want to sit tight and use our cap space for a good player. We are contenders as is right now, we dont need to trade our young pieces as well. We have one of the best futures in the league right now. The only trade out there I'd do right now is

I do it because I think JV could stand to learn more toughness.

I would be fine with this becaus KG and Casey go way back and have a lot of respect for each other.. Not because JV needs fake tough guy training.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#1611 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:39 pm

sweetcity wrote:

This works for me;
Players aside, it saves us around 250k and opens a roster spot while preserving our expiring assets.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,429

Post#1612 » by Rapsfan07 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:06 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:
sweetcity wrote:

This works for me;
Players aside, it saves us around 250k and opens a roster spot while preserving our expiring assets.

Yup. This is a small but solid deal for the reasons listed above. Only problem is I don't see why Brooklyn does this. I imagine that Garnett is far more valuable to them than a third string C, a second round pick and a guy who is at the end of his NBA career. Not much incentive for them to make this deal but if we can swing it, I wouldn't think twice.

As for the Horford/Millsap discussion, I think the best thing we can do is wait it out. Remember, we aren't even a guaranteed second round team yet, much less conference finalists. Millsap will be 30 hitting the FA market and will likely command at least $12M and as good as he is, he's not a star that's going to lead to where our sights should be set as an organization. I love Millsap more than most people but to gut our team and deal our assets for a guy who could very well be gone at the end of the year? It's just not good asset management.

Horford is really good...One of the best bigs in the league when he's healthy but that's exactly it...how often is he actually healthy? One thing I will say though is if we're going to deal with ATL for one of their bigs, I'd rather it be him. He's young enough to be a good contributor for a long time and would be our answer at the PF position. However, I'm certain that many other teams will be calling about him very soon too, if they haven't started already. I think with him, it will be about timing. As it stands now, we should be a better team than them and if we offer a package around some combination of Caboclo, Ross, Amir, Patterson, 20151st and NYK 2016 first, they might go for it. Plus we have expirings to balance the salaries out. But only if he agrees to an extension.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#1613 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:21 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:
sweetcity wrote:

This works for me;

Yup. This is a small but solid deal for the reasons listed above. Only problem is I don't see why Brooklyn does this. I imagine that Garnett is far more valuable to them than a third string C, a second round pick and a guy who is at the end of his NBA career. Not much incentive for them to make this deal but if we can swing it, I wouldn't think twice.

I tend to agree that there is little intensive for the Nets to do this deal today;
They have 17 guys on their roster and the above deal makes it 18.

However as the season wears on if the Nets find themselves stalled I would imagine as they have little intensive to tank they would be looking to move their expiring contracts for players attached to longer term deals that could improve them immediately;

Hayes and Fields with a second rounder for Garnett still allows them to make that sort of deal but gives them a second rounder as well, it also breaks Garnetts expiring in two which could be beneficial depending on the deal(s) they are potentially chasing.
chuckdevlin
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,187

Post#1614 » by chuckdevlin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:41 pm

Hayes + 2nd
for
Pachulia

Sign J-Hamilton

JV/Pachulia/Amir/Bebe
Amir/PPat/Hans/JJ
Ross/JJ/Hamilton/ Caboclo
DD/Lou/Vas
Lowry/Vas/Lou
Retire Joey Graham's Number in the ACC #letsgooo #whatnumber?
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#1615 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:08 pm

chuckdevlin wrote:Hayes + 2nd
for
Pachulia

Sign J-Hamilton

JV/Pachulia/Amir/Bebe
Amir/PPat/Hans/JJ
DD/Lou/Vas
Lowry/Vas/Lou

I am not even sure you would need the second;
The Bucks have Henson, Sanders, and Illyasova vying for minutes at the big spots and Zaza's deal runs an extra season.

Hayes gives them their back-up to the back-up big and shaves a year of Zaza who is a better back-up than Hayes but on the books longer.

With that said;
I like what Stiemsma and Hamilton have given us so far in camp, and would be much happier moving Fields and Hayes for a larger expiring tied to one player to open us up a spot.
aw8
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,570

Post#1616 » by aw8 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:14 pm

Jonas Valanciunas for Joakim Noah.

Seeing as how this team's offense is based around the perimeter, should we try to trade our offensive big with a defensive big like Joakim Noah.
chuckdevlin
Lead Assistant

Post#1617 » by chuckdevlin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:42 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:
chuckdevlin wrote:Hayes + 2nd
for
Pachulia

Sign J-Hamilton

JV/Pachulia/Amir/Bebe
Amir/PPat/Hans/JJ
DD/Lou/Vas
Lowry/Vas/Lou

I am not even sure you would need the second;
The Bucks have Henson, Sanders, and Illyasova vying for minutes at the big spots and Zaza's deal runs an extra season.

Hayes gives them their back-up to the back-up big and shaves a year of Zaza who is a better back-up than Hayes but on the books longer.

With that said;
I like what Stiemsma and Hamilton have given us so far in camp, and would be much happier moving Fields and Hayes for a larger expiring tied to one player to open us up a spot.

I tried looking at all of the possible large expirings or short deals. There aren't many of no value that seem like a right fit.
G. Wallace - doubt BOS would add a first
McGee - seems like a possibility, but DEN would want value back. How will they have the cap to extend Faried?
Nash would be of no use. So a Fields + Hans for Nash wouldnt make sense. Hans should have some value in this league on a small contract.
Would you want to give up value for David West on the last leg of his career? edit: no pun intended
Garnett for Fields+Hayes is equal value but its admitting their failure.

I have no clue what MU will pull off. I see him making room for both J-Ham and Stiemsma. He probably tried to play Fields to showcase that he's still alive.
chuckdevlin
Lead Assistant

Post#1618 » by chuckdevlin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:47 pm

aw8 wrote:Jonas Valanciunas for Joakim Noah.

Seeing as how this team's offense is based around the perimeter, should we try to trade our offensive big with a defensive big like Joakim Noah.

I realize the reason to do this is to match up Lowry's peak with Noah's peak. Lowry will decline somewhat by the time JV hits his own peak.

But JV is too speshal to give up on.

^ I wasnt planning on typing "speshal", i naturally typed it and decided to go with it
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#1619 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:53 pm

chuckdevlin wrote:I tried looking at all of the possible large expirings or short deals. There aren't many of no value that seem like a right fit.
G. Wallace - doubt BOS would add a first
McGee - seems like a possibility, but DEN would want value back. How will they have the cap to extend Faried?
Nash would be of no use. So a Fields + Hans for Nash wouldnt make sense. Hans should have some value in this league on a small contract.
Would you want to give up value for David West on the last leg of his career? edit: no pun intended
Garnett for Fields+Hayes is equal value but its admitting their failure.

I have no clue what MU will pull off. I see him making room for both J-Ham and Stiemsma. He probably tried to play Fields to showcase that he's still alive.

Depending on what the Lakers plan is, or if they feel that Nash can still play.

Fields + Hayes + Cash to cover Fields Balloon salary + New York's 2015 Second Rounder for Nash is a deal I would make.

It pushes us 2m further away from the luxury tax line, it clears a roster spot which allows us to keep Stiemsma and Hamilton allowing Nash to be that fifth guard with limited minutes and zero expectation.

We also preserve enough money in expiring deals to potentially absorb anyone in a trade during the season.

The Lakers are still well under the tax, get to break up Nash's deal into two bite sized expirings and get around 2m more in expiring deals to potentially pair with Lin (8.3m) and Hill (9m) in terms of expiring contracts if a move should present itself during the season along with a second rounder.
dhackett1565
Sixth Man
And1: 1,678
Location: Pessimist central, wondering how I got here, unable to find my way out.

Post#1620 » by dhackett1565 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:06 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:Depending on what the Lakers plan is, or if they feel that Nash can still play.

Fields + Hayes + Cash to cover Fields Balloon salary + New York's 2015 Second Rounder for Nash is a deal I would make.

It pushes us 2m further away from the luxury tax line, it clears a roster spot which allows us to keep Stiemsma and Hamilton allowing Nash to be that fifth guard with limited minutes and zero expectation.

We also preserve enough money in expiring deals to potentially absorb anyone in a trade during the season.

The Lakers are still well under the tax, get to break up Nash's deal into two bite sized expirings and get around 2m more in expiring deals to potentially pair with Lin (8.3m) and Hill (9m) in terms of expiring contracts if a move should present itself during the season along with a second rounder.

I don't like the idea of moving out assets for the privilege of signing two end-of-benchers. Nash provides pretty much zero value as a player anymore, not dependably. We also do not have any 2nd rounders until 2017.
Alfred re: Coach Mitchell - "My doctor botched my surgury and sewed my hand to my head, but I can't really comment on that, because I'm not a doctor, and thus he is above my criticism."

Return to Toronto Raptors