ImageImageImageImageImage

Post Hakeem-Hyberbolic-Chamber Jonas Expectations Thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

pkiskool
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Re: Post Hakeem-Hyberbolic-Chamber Jonas Expectations Thread 

Post#101 » by pkiskool » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:36 pm

Love DBZ references :)
raptorscam
Pro Prospect
And1: 58

Post#102 » by raptorscam » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:52 pm

Has there been a young big to enter the NBA in the past decade for whom there wasn't a story about how he was going to work with Hakeem and this will improve his game? He must be the busiest man in basketball at this point.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#103 » by Psubs » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:45 pm

raptorscam wrote:Has there been a young big to enter the NBA in the past decade for whom there wasn't a story about how he was going to work with Hakeem and this will improve his game? He must be the busiest man in basketball at this point.

Demarcus Cousins
visionquest
Starter
And1: 2,378

Post#104 » by visionquest » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:02 pm

Is Hakeem doing one-on-one training with Jonas as he did with Lebron?

Or is he among a bunch of other big men there?

Would love to see some video of that!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnqu6dP704A[/youtube]
What would Pop do?
m83588333
Analyst
And1: 1,383

Post#105 » by m83588333 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:39 pm

visionquest wrote:Is Hakeem doing one-on-one training with Jonas as he did with Lebron?

Or is he among a bunch of other big men there?

Would love to see some video of that!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnqu6dP704A[/youtube]

It'll be lecture based
Using Tapatalk
thunderforce
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,136

Post#106 » by thunderforce » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:52 pm

I don't even care about Hakeem but JV is primed for a big jump . The first year he was taking his lumps , his second year he was holding his own and this next year he is going to excell .
Thespianoid
RealGM
And1: 78,794

Post#107 » by Thespianoid » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:30 pm

timdunkit wrote:
I've always gotten the impression that Hakeem is a much better teacher for guys with a solid base in the post. Where he can show them counters and advance combinations and how to set each one up or use one. The benefit to me is not necessarily developing post moves but the mental aspect and when to use what.

This is EXACTLY where Jonas is right now. He already has a good arsenal of post moves:

1. His favorite running hook going middle.
2. A drop step left/right hook.
3. a turnaround jumper.
4. a baseline spin and drive (which he needs to use so much more).
5. a faceup drive (which he just started using). Another faceup drive, with better results.

He just needs to learn to read the defense and determine when to use which move.

Guys who are still learning basic post moves would be much better of spending their summer in a big man camp or working with an assistant coach who specializes in developing post moves.

Jonas doesn't need to learn basic moves. The evidence prior should be enough to make this conclusion. Hell, that catch and immediate spin that Hakeem is known for, Jonas already has that. He's just never used it more than a few times, for whatever reason. Clearly he needs to get the awareness to make the most of his current repertoire, but also learn the advanced, fluid faceup jab/drive/spin mid-post stuff that Hakeem is known to teach.

Thats why I'm not expecting a huge improvement from Jonas. I'd love to see him use the drop step or spin baseline for a left hook more. He loves going middle but in the playoffs I thought there were so many times where he could have easily dropstep to the baseline and scored on Garnett. Part of why he is turnover prone is that he is slow to read the defense and has his passes picked and that he tries to get to the middle too much and into the teeth of the defense.

what? this doesn't make any sense. You've described some mistakes Jonas has made. Those mistakes are precisely due to him not knowing when to use what, which you say is the target area of improvement during Hakeem's teachings. Yet you say you don't think he'll make an improvement? Are you saying you think Jonas is incapable of learning from Hakeem?
Clementine9 wrote:Missed shots are unfortunate, but it's the trends throughout the game that matter.

Choker wrote:The swing in how Raptors fans have supported and turned on Powell is a good case study of human behavior.
m83588333
Analyst

Post#108 » by m83588333 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:40 pm

Any post moves Jonas develops that replaces the slow pump fake is an improvement.
Using Tapatalk
Naija Boy
Banned User
And1: 2,242

Post#109 » by Naija Boy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:48 pm

Agree with Thespianoid. A guy like Jonas is gonna benefit more from the Hakeem Hyperbolic Time Chamber (I like this name lol :)) than say a McGee (who tried it out a year ago I believe). Jonas already has the footwork and motion down for most moves. It's not like Hakeem was doing anything impossible in terms of moves when he was playing that he was so great. The reason why Hakeem was a monster was because he knew exactly when to use each move, that's how he had David Robinson dancing in the playoffs.

If Jonas can pick up knowledge in that respect, I expect him to be much improved offensively. Then what will be important will be to get him looks inside.
SkywalkerAC
RealGM
And1: 4,665

Post#110 » by SkywalkerAC » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:55 pm

m83588333 wrote:Any post moves Jonas develops that replaces the slow pump fake is an improvement.

That's a face-up move.
m83588333
Analyst

Post#111 » by m83588333 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:10 pm

SkywalkerAC wrote:
m83588333 wrote:Any post moves Jonas develops that replaces the slow pump fake is an improvement.

That's a face-up move.

Touche
Using Tapatalk
Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#112 » by Joker » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:30 pm

So they go there and learn how to do the Hakeem moves mechanically, deliberately. But to do them instinctively, naturally in in-game situations? That's 95% of the battle.
SkywalkerAC
RealGM
And1: 4,665

Post#113 » by SkywalkerAC » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:33 pm

Joker wrote:So they go there and learn how to do the Hakeem moves mechanically, deliberately. But to do them instinctively, naturally in in-game situations? That's 95% of the battle.

Repetition, repetition, repetition.
m83588333
Analyst

Post#114 » by m83588333 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:34 pm

SkywalkerAC wrote:
Joker wrote:So they go there and learn how to do the Hakeem moves mechanically, deliberately. But to do them instinctively, naturally in in-game situations? That's 95% of the battle.

Repetition, repetition, repetition.

That takes care of three of JVs touches what does he do with the other 2
Using Tapatalk
Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#115 » by Joker » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:41 pm

Depends what you mean by reps. He can become proficient at the moves themselves through reps in an empty gym, but in-game reps will be huge, in terms of not just executing the moves, but doing them intuitively/reactively, not forcefully, mechanically.
Thespianoid
RealGM
And1: 78,794

Post#116 » by Thespianoid » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Jonas is still fatter than he needs to be.
From about a month ago:

First picture could be misleading due to angle/clothing, but the other two are accurate. Too much fat deposit in the face, and too much midsection weight. It's pretty cut and dry - if you're in good shape, you don't have those physical features.

Compare to the following:

He's done the reverse of Kevin Love - put on more flab. I don't know about you guys, but for me this is unacceptable from both Jonas and the organization.
Clementine9 wrote:Missed shots are unfortunate, but it's the trends throughout the game that matter.

Choker wrote:The swing in how Raptors fans have supported and turned on Powell is a good case study of human behavior.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#117 » by Kabookalu » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:44 pm

We ruined Jonas :(

Our trainer

Read on Twitter
team edward
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,981

Post#118 » by team edward » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:08 pm

Thespianoid wrote:Jonas is still fatter than he needs to be.

He's done the reverse of Kevin Love - put on more flab. I don't know about you guys, but for me this is unacceptable from both Jonas and the organization.

I feel it is unacceptable for any professional athlete to let himself go in the offseason, that includes the starting centre and the guy at the end of the bench. Unless adding face fat is some new strategy for defending Al Jefferson.
Detective
Head Coach
And1: 24,545

Post#119 » by Detective » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:10 pm

Thespianoid wrote:Jonas is still fatter than he needs to be.
From about a month ago:

Spoiler:

First picture could be misleading due to angle/clothing, but the other two are accurate. Too much fat deposit in the face, and too much midsection weight. It's pretty cut and dry - if you're in good shape, you don't have those physical features.

Compare to the following:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnSnfiUI54[/youtube]
grimlock
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,499

Post#120 » by grimlock » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:46 am

And everyone was worried about Lowry getting fat

God.. he looks....

Terrible..

Return to Toronto Raptors