ImageImageImageImageImage

Is Patrick Paterson the Next Amir Johnson

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

TheBathinApe
Rookie
And1: 170

Re: Is Patrick Paterson the Next Amir Johnson 

Post#21 » by TheBathinApe » Fri Jul 4, 2014 5:12 pm

There can only be one Amir Johnson.
Cold Logic
Banned User
And1: 328

Post#22 » by Cold Logic » Fri Jul 4, 2014 5:22 pm

TheSamMitchell wrote:
Cold Logic wrote:
Rejected wrote:I think Pat is a really key piece for this team. I'd like to stay around 4/20 but I could see 4/24, anymore is a huge risk and over pay, but Pat is vital to our team going forward. Love his game and his personality and temperament, has the trust of the coaching staff and likes the city and situation.

I would do between 5-6 mil, but over 3 years with the 3rd a team option.

2Pat wouldn't take that. Remember he has Orlando "courting" him.

Well we don't know what Orlando is thinking of offering, and in 2 years if 2Pat has a nice season he can cash in. It's not a terrible deal.
youngtea
Sixth Man
And1: 1,045

Post#23 » by youngtea » Fri Jul 4, 2014 5:28 pm

Patterson does not play like Amir. Patterson has good range on his shot and gets most of his points on shots rather than post ups. Amir is far better defensively and scores most of his points in the paint.
Cold Logic
Banned User
And1: 328

Post#24 » by Cold Logic » Fri Jul 4, 2014 5:32 pm

Cold Logic wrote:
TheSamMitchell wrote:
Cold Logic wrote:
I would do between 5-6 mil, but over 3 years with the 3rd a team option.

2Pat wouldn't take that. Remember he has Orlando "courting" him.

Well we don't know what Orlando is thinking of offering, and in 2 years if 2Pat has a nice season he can cash in. It's not a terrible deal.

I was totally right :lol:
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#25 » by Volcano » Fri Jul 4, 2014 5:34 pm

PP has no defensive upside. He's closer to Matt Bonner than Amir.

He's a 20-25 min/game player at best. The role he had last year with us was just fine. 6M/3 years is workable, but not a penny more. Certainly better than having Fields/Kapono for that value and much more tradeable too.

We can compare him to what Frye is getting. Frye is more of a pure 3 point shooter, but I think PP has a decent stroke from anywhere on the floor. I'd trust him on that Lowry pass --> game winner more than I would Frye.

Ryan Anderson got like 8.5 M/year..but he's a much more deadly 3 point shooter.
m83588333
Analyst
And1: 1,383

Post#26 » by m83588333 » Fri Jul 4, 2014 5:37 pm

Volcano wrote:PP has no defensive upside. He's closer to Matt Bonner than Amir.

He's a 20-25 min/game player at best. The role he had last year with us was just fine. 6M/3 years is workable, but not a penny more. Certainly better than having Fields/Kapono for that value and much more tradeable too.

We can compare him to what Frye is getting. Frye is more of a pure 3 point shooter, but I think PP has a decent stroke from anywhere on the floor. I'd trust him on that Lowry pass --> game winner more than I would Frye.

Ryan Anderson got like 8.5 M/year..but he's a much more deadly 3 point shooter.

He's a decent perimeter and low post defender. He has decent size, quickness and length.On this team without a SF he is pretty valuable defensively. He can also shoot the 3,pass and doesn't chuck.
Using Tapatalk
EJaggit
Starter
And1: 2,328

Post#27 » by EJaggit » Fri Jul 4, 2014 5:40 pm

No they play differently, defensively and offensively. Patrick is still a crucial piece to the puzzle for this season though! Great we got him back!
TripleMKE
Sixth Man
And1: 3,342

Post#28 » by TripleMKE » Fri Jul 4, 2014 6:41 pm

Roland Brice wrote:
IMAN5 wrote:
Roland Brice wrote:
Like I said...

well how about we don't tell the best player off our bench to GTFO because you want Masai to lowball him with a terrible offer. He deserves a pay increase, and will get a fair offer from us. If it starts hitting 8-10 then yeah obviously I would let him go, but if the deal to match is 6mill a year we should retain him.

You pay guys what they're worth. Like I said, his biggest asset is his ability to stretch the floor which isn't a rare commodity in this league, even from bigs. Offering Patrick Patterson any more than 4 per season is going to come back to bite us in the butt. It's no coincidence that he didn't show any value until his contract season, and then in the exit interviews he mentioned how it hopes it gets him paid. Fishy.

Also, he's NOT our best player off the bench, that goes to Vasquez who played in our most successful lineup combinations.

How can you say that about Patterson? I think your seriously underrating how important he is to this team. He's more than just your average stretch 4. He shot the 3 ball at 41% which is higher than your average stretch 4, he's extremely athletic, a good rebounder, excellent fit next to Jonas, and relatively young.

I don't see how you can just say that we can pick up any stretch player and expect them to do the things Patterson does for this team. Fair contract imo.
Roland Brice
Banned User
And1: 2,705

Post#29 » by Roland Brice » Fri Jul 4, 2014 6:51 pm

TripleMKE wrote:
Roland Brice wrote:
IMAN5 wrote:
well how about we don't tell the best player off our bench to GTFO because you want Masai to lowball him with a terrible offer. He deserves a pay increase, and will get a fair offer from us. If it starts hitting 8-10 then yeah obviously I would let him go, but if the deal to match is 6mill a year we should retain him.

You pay guys what they're worth. Like I said, his biggest asset is his ability to stretch the floor which isn't a rare commodity in this league, even from bigs. Offering Patrick Patterson any more than 4 per season is going to come back to bite us in the butt. It's no coincidence that he didn't show any value until his contract season, and then in the exit interviews he mentioned how it hopes it gets him paid. Fishy.

Also, he's NOT our best player off the bench, that goes to Vasquez who played in our most successful lineup combinations.

How can you say that about Patterson? I think your seriously underrating how important he is to this team. He's more than just your average stretch 4. He shot the 3 ball at 41% which is higher than your average stretch 4, he's extremely athletic, a good rebounder, excellent fit next to Jonas, and relatively young.

I don't see how you can just say that we can pick up any stretch player and expect them to do the things Patterson does for this team. Fair contract imo.

He was very valuable for us last year, I missed him when he was out. I just don't like 6 million a year for him, but at this point it's semantics. Let's hope he lives up to the deal like Amir did for his.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,537

Post#30 » by C_Money » Fri Jul 4, 2014 7:05 pm

People kind of overrate him on this board because of that one good stretch he had after we traded for him. He eventually came back down to earth though.
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#31 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Fri Jul 4, 2014 7:09 pm

When it's time to extend Amir's contract, he is gonna have to take a bit of pay cut to stay, but I'm sure he'd stay, and I'm sure Masai has no reason to trade him. With that said, I don't mind 2Pat to start over him, I found 6mil a year a slight over pay, but not enough for us to be mad about.
Credits to Jstock12
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#32 » by Rapsalot » Fri Jul 4, 2014 7:17 pm

Patman is very good. Remember he has not had the same team coach or offense for the past 2 years. Give him some stability and I think he can start and be 13 and 6 guy with 37% 3Fgs. You add that to improving JV and we are very competitive.

If you start Patman 4 of 5 starters games still growing.
m83588333
Analyst
And1: 1,383

Post#33 » by m83588333 » Fri Jul 4, 2014 7:24 pm

Rapsalot wrote:Patman is very good. Remember he has not had the same team coach or offense for the past 2 years. Give him some stability and I think he can start and be 13 and 6 guy with 37% 3Fgs. You add that to improving JV and we are very competitive.

If you start Patman 4 of 5 starters games still growing.

Predict he gains 500lbs and becomes a movie critic. I'm also fun at weddings.
Using Tapatalk
akakalakin
Sixth Man
And1: 245

Post#34 » by akakalakin » Fri Jul 4, 2014 7:30 pm

At their best when PP & Amir are on the floor

Return to Toronto Raptors