ImageImageImageImageImage

Problem with okc thunder?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

daswunderboy
Analyst
And1: 2,141

Re: Problem with okc thunder? 

Post#21 » by daswunderboy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:41 pm

TheGoodDoctor wrote:Cheap franchise and not aggressive... Durant may not be coming here but he will leave OKC.

Durant has already laid the groundwork to leave. He had no reason to, but this offseason he spoke out on how Lebron didn't do anything wrong leaving Cleveland, and people should be able to go anywhere they want.

Totally 100% true...but also no reason for Durant to make a comment on it. He's leaving OKC. Not coming here, but OKC will be in his rearview soon enough. I think he does it like Bosh did, not say a word, no drama, just ghost out when his contract is done.
tdotboyy
Banned User
And1: 6,678

Post#22 » by tdotboyy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:45 pm

their offseasons are terrible the best players they sign are fisher and butler but im glad they actually signed someone like morrow
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,006

Post#23 » by kalel123 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:46 pm

OKC ownership is unbelievable cheap. Majority of other owners would've bit the bullet when it came time to sign Harden but they keep refusing. And I have a feeling one of the reasons Scott Brooks still has a job is because they are so cheap, they don't want to be paying two coaches at the same time. They just got lucky with their roster and I'm not sure if they wouldn't be happy to just chug along the treadmill even without Durant if it meant they don't go over the luxury tax.
Bluejay
Banned User
And1: 354

Post#24 » by Bluejay » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:51 pm

It's not just that ownership are cheap they have obvious problems with their coaching and roster. How can they not address the problems with Scott Brooks and his inability on all fronts by now? I know it's mocked on here but they literally had the tools to go to 3-4 finals in a row and they blew it. Then there's Perkins and that whole situation, overplaying vets etc. I honestly feel bad for OKC fans because they will look back on Westbrook/Durant leaving and feel the crushing regret on what might have been with the talent they had pooled together.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#25 » by bondom34 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:54 pm

Because Butler clearly isn't worth 4.5 mil per year at this point in his career? And what was Durant gonna say postseason "Nope, get Caron outta here."?

OKC had no cap space, the MLE and BAE to work with. They got a good 3 point shooter with that money and still have a little wiggle room if needed (like 2-4 mil I think if someone's available who's useful for them). "Cheap" has nothing to do with it when even if they amnesty Perkins, they're still not far enough under the cap to use the space. So they didn't sign people because they literally could not.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
jonny three time
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,246

Post#26 » by jonny three time » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:00 pm

Other than a trade what were people expecting? All they had was the MLE and they got screwed by both Thabo and Caron getting offers that are tough to match. They're pretty solid as far as bigs are concerned and have good point guards obviously, they just need a 3&D wing to add to Durant, morrow and lamb. There's still a few young guys like CDR, Hamilton, Xavier Henry or maybe Wes Johnson signs for less than expected, or take a minimum flyer on Fran Garcia or brandon rush or even Rasual butler.

There's still the chance that they put together a package with Reggie Jackson or Steven Adams and trade for that 4th star player.

It's not like they could just go out and sign someone for 12 mil or anything, they didn't have cap space.
ot raps
Freshman
And1: 27

Post#27 » by ot raps » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:00 pm

The lack of trying I mean have they even tried to move perk at least throw in lamb and or a pick use that money to bring in someone useful seems like there okay with just making it to the playoffs outside of luck with draft picks they get an f in all other aspects of management
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by bondom34 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:10 pm

ot raps wrote:The lack of trying I mean have they even tried to move perk at least throw in lamb and or a pick use that money to bring in someone useful seems like there okay with just making it to the playoffs outside of luck with draft picks they get an f in all other aspects of management

Perk's been useful for them in the playoffs though. Why give up assets to move a guy when he's got some use as a good defensive big man. He's more valuable to OKC than other teams.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
ishoy123
Starter
And1: 2,621

Post#29 » by ishoy123 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:30 pm

ot raps wrote:The lack of trying I mean have they even tried to move perk at least throw in lamb and or a pick use that money to bring in someone useful seems like there okay with just making it to the playoffs outside of luck with draft picks they get an f in all other aspects of management

How would you know if they tried to move perk or not? It's not like there's anyone out there that would be willing to give stars or picks for him.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Post#30 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:56 pm

Our best chance to reach perennial contender status is if Bruno Caboclo achieves his potential, or comes to close to achieving it. Basically, I wouldn't rely on getting Durant via free agency in 2016.
Unknownone
Pro Prospect
And1: 16

Post#31 » by Unknownone » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:02 pm

team edward wrote:From OKC's perspective, going into the tax early to pay Caron Butler would be pure idiocy. Perhaps not paying Harden was a questionable call, but you could go either way - he's a "ball in his hands" kind of guy, and they already have two of those guys that are (arguably) better at it.

The Spurs are the only good model for sustained success - OKC needs to find some diamonds in the rough, to develop their rookie deal players and to find some roleplayers overseas or on vet minimum deals. The presence of Kevin Durant does not mean everybody on the roster deserves to get overpaid.

Never advocated retaining the services of an aging and now lackluster Butler; Harden, on the other hand, is a whole different matter.

Your claim that Westbrook and Durant are ball dominant is valid, but Harden was punishing 2nd unit personnel during his tenure w/ the Thunder - when he closed games w/ Westbrook and Durant, he deferred, but remained a viable and potent option.

If you've spent much time watching the Thunder post Harden, a big lead courtesy of the starting 5 isn't guaranteed to be sustained when the 2nd unit is on the floor - it's why when 15 + leads ebb to around 10 (more often than not) or so, Brooks usually motions for Durant and Westbrook to re-enter the game from the bench - other than Jackson (who truly excels mostly against inferior competition), the offense DIES w/o those 2 on the court. They've struggled to replace Harden w/ the likes of Lamb brilliant on 1 night out of 10-15.

Given Brooks's myopic penchant for an iso heavy offense, having 3 certifiable scoring threats vis-a-vis Durant, Harden, and Westbrook proved to be far more effective than as currently assembled; the fact that the team marched to the Western Conference championship w/ Harden as an integral component, but has scuffled since his departure can't be absolutely ascribed to mere pure coincidence.

Legitimate title contender (w/ Harden) window versus not paying the luxury tax/receiving more monies - it's clear where the ownership stands (despite, as aforementioned, having considerable capital).
snomeister
Starter
And1: 1,853

Post#32 » by snomeister » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:07 pm

It always bugs me when an owner is too cheap to go for it all. I remember when every offseason PHX would sell picks and players for cash just to lower their salary. They were always good, but never good enough to win in the post-season. Maybe that would have been different if they kept guys like Rondo, Luol Deng, Kurt Thomas, Joe Johnson. Like, why even own a team if you aren't going to go for the 'ship?
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,248

Post#33 » by mademan » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:08 pm

Presti is wasted there. Dude legit hits a homerun on 90% of his draft picks, but whats the point if the owners wont pay for a contending team.
LieCheatSteal
Assistant Coach
And1: 418

Post#34 » by LieCheatSteal » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:55 pm

OKC will go down as one of Stern's biggest mistakes.

Should have never let them walk from Seattle. There is a lot of money up there in Seattle.
Two years from being two years away.
Rapz
Banned User
And1: 1,191

Post#35 » by Rapz » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:09 pm

Durant will not leave OKC, he is a TD type player not a backstabbing Bosh, LBJ type personality.
daswunderboy
Analyst
And1: 2,141

Post#36 » by daswunderboy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:12 pm

Bluejay wrote:It's not just that ownership are cheap they have obvious problems with their coaching and roster. How can they not address the problems with Scott Brooks and his inability on all fronts by now? I know it's mocked on here but they literally had the tools to go to 3-4 finals in a row and they blew it. Then there's Perkins and that whole situation, overplaying vets etc. I honestly feel bad for OKC fans because they will look back on Westbrook/Durant leaving and feel the crushing regret on what might have been with the talent they had pooled together.

I'm sorry, but they did not have the tools to go to 3 or 4 finals in a row. Do you remember the Westbrook playoff injury? Or Ibaka's this year? Those are not things that you can just casually coach around.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,249

Post#37 » by Scase » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:19 pm

Rapz wrote:Durant will not leave OKC, he is a TD type player not a backstabbing Bosh, LBJ type personality.

Backstabbing? Man I don't agree with the way either of them left but, they did not backstab anyone. Neither franchises were doing a damn thing to build properly around them.
Props TZ!
m83588333
Analyst
And1: 1,383

Post#38 » by m83588333 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:19 pm

Unknownone wrote:
team edward wrote:From OKC's perspective, going into the tax early to pay Caron Butler would be pure idiocy. Perhaps not paying Harden was a questionable call, but you could go either way - he's a "ball in his hands" kind of guy, and they already have two of those guys that are (arguably) better at it.

The Spurs are the only good model for sustained success - OKC needs to find some diamonds in the rough, to develop their rookie deal players and to find some roleplayers overseas or on vet minimum deals. The presence of Kevin Durant does not mean everybody on the roster deserves to get overpaid.

Never advocated retaining the services of an aging and now lackluster Butler; Harden, on the other hand, is a whole different matter.

Your claim that Westbrook and Durant are ball dominant is valid, but Harden was punishing 2nd unit personnel during his tenure w/ the Thunder - when he closed games w/ Westbrook and Durant, he deferred, but remained a viable and potent option.

If you've spent much time watching the Thunder post Harden, a big lead courtesy of the starting 5 isn't guaranteed to be sustained when the 2nd unit is on the floor - it's why when 15 + leads ebb to around 10 (more often than not) or so, Brooks usually motions for Durant and Westbrook to re-enter the game from the bench - other than Jackson (who truly excels mostly against inferior competition), the offense DIES w/o those 2 on the court. They've struggled to replace Harden w/ the likes of Lamb brilliant on 1 night out of 10-15.

Given Brooks's myopic penchant for an iso heavy offense, having 3 certifiable scoring threats vis-a-vis Durant, Harden, and Westbrook proved to be far more effective than as currently assembled; the fact that the team marched to the Western Conference championship w/ Harden as an integral component, but has scuffled since his departure can't be absolutely ascribed to mere pure coincidence.

Legitimate title contender (w/ Harden) window versus not paying the luxury tax/receiving more monies - it's clear where the ownership stands (despite, as aforementioned, having considerable capital).

Blaming Brooks is wrong. Both Durant and Westbrook needs ISO plays. Keeping both was the mistake. Durant should be getting 30+ shots a game and Westbrook stops that. Want fair value for Westbrook and losing Harden without a complimentary coming back was the problem. Draft picks to a team reaching the Finals was useless.
Using Tapatalk
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by bondom34 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:29 pm

m83588333 wrote:Blaming Brooks is wrong. Both Durant and Westbrook needs ISO plays. Keeping both was the mistake. Durant should be getting 30+ shots a game and Westbrook stops that. Want fair value for Westbrook and losing Harden without a complimentary coming back was the problem. Draft picks to a team reaching the Finals was useless.

Here is a comprehensive list of every NBA player to average 30 shots per game since Wilt in the early 60s:
Rapz
Banned User
And1: 1,191

Post#40 » by Rapz » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:34 pm

Scase wrote:
Rapz wrote:Durant will not leave OKC, he is a TD type player not a backstabbing Bosh, LBJ type personality.

Backstabbing? Man I don't agree with the way either of them left but, they did not backstab anyone. Neither franchises were doing a damn thing to build properly around them.

In business world ethical partners will let know (plenty of time notice) their partner if things don't go their way. This will allow for both parties to come up with the best solution for the future if their need to part ways due to having different views on how they should go forward.

This happens everyday and partners with integrity let know their displeasure and give each other enough notice so each make the best of that situation.

More to the point both Bosh and LBJ if they had some integrity and respect for their franchise they should've let them know first - result is they could've been signed (so they get their max) and quietly shopped around. This way each franchise would've sold high and everybody wins. The response that both Cavs and Raps had was definitely not suggesting that any effort for negotiation was made from Bosh/LBJ.

Carmelo blamed Bosh for the way he left Raps and he had the decency to negotiate a solution that was a win-win.

KD seems to have that type of decency that if things are not going the way he wants it (getting a ring), he will talk with management and come up with a plan.

Return to Toronto Raptors