ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Speshal Ed to the Lakers

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,617

Re: OT: Speshal Ed to the Lakers 

Post#101 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:25 am

sule wrote:Lakers looking solid going forward. Not great, but definitely solid.

Lin/Nash/Marshall
Kobe/Meeks
Young??
Randle/Davis
Hill/Sacre

I dont know if they have any cap room left, but they should target players like Boozer, or Monroe, or Marion.

If they can sign those players to short-term deals (or long-term in the case of Monroe), they can field a solid team for a year or two and then try again in free agency when they have room again and a big-name player is on the market.

Thats not solid at all IMO.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,442

Post#102 » by G R E Y » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:58 am

I'm very happy for Speshal Ed. He gets good exposure, more playing time, can prove himself and get a better contract. Too bad he got buried on the Grizz but this is a good opportunity for him. Hope he makes the most of it.

p.s. Super cheap contract, too, wow. Literally no risk, potentially good reward for the Lakers.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
carl_english
General Manager
And1: 3,140

Post#103 » by carl_english » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:03 am

The trade to Memphis ruined him. Now he is playing backup to Randle =_=
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,778
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#104 » by Boogie! » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:19 am

who was playing ahead of davis in memphis btw… obviously there was randolph and gasol, but who was getting the majority of the backup big minutes?
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
trlp1712
Sophomore
And1: 109

Post#105 » by trlp1712 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:23 am

Boogie! wrote:who was playing ahead of davis in memphis btw… obviously there was randolph and gasol, but who was getting the majority of the backup big minutes?

Koufos and Leuer. Koufos is better than Davis and is arguably (spelling? i'm foreigner) an starter caliber center (he actually was in 2013 for a 57-win Denver team). Leuer is about the same level as Davis in my opinion, with way different skill sets.
go Mavericks
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,778
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#106 » by Boogie! » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:30 am

trlp1712 wrote:
Boogie! wrote:who was playing ahead of davis in memphis btw… obviously there was randolph and gasol, but who was getting the majority of the backup big minutes?

Koufos and Leuer. Koufos is better than Davis and is arguably (spelling? i'm foreigner) an starter caliber center (he actually was in 2013 for a 57-win Denver team). Leuer is about the same level as Davis in my opinion, with way different skill sets.

so jon leuer was getting minutes over ed davis… and people think ed davis is just so amazing… funny because the same people who say ed davis was "misused" in memphis will say hansbrough has "failed" here… when in reality, it's a combination of the fact that both of these players were either, not good enough to usurp the players ahead in the rotation or just did not fit the coach's game plan… yet both were on winning teams… the point being, if players are really that good, they would find a way to get ahead in the rotation… and it would be difficult to not play them because their impact is so great…
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
FTW
Bench Warmer
And1: 530

Post#107 » by FTW » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:44 am

ballislife wrote:He was arguably better than Amir Johnson when he got the starters minutes. We pay Amir $7 million... Ed is getting $1 million... it sucks that his career went downhill with that deal for Rudy Gay. I want him to succeed because the guys a talented player.

It just goes to show how stock can drop so quickly in the NBA if you're not in the right situation. One minute, he's dealt for a young star (Rudy), and another, he's getting a minimum contract to stay in the NBA to prove himself.

I like how you implicitly defined "arguably" as "in another universe".

Ed was never better than Amir. Ever. Big gap between them. Showed promise. But...big. Gap.
YogiStewart wrote:no IKEA bed can take 7 years of sexytimes. don't think it could even take 7 years of handytimes.
BetterCallSaul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,523

Post#108 » by BetterCallSaul » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:59 am

Ed has been so disappointing. Why do people think he is such a hot commodity?
m83588333
Analyst
And1: 1,383

Post#109 » by m83588333 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:04 pm

Boogie! wrote:
trlp1712 wrote:

so jon leuer was getting minutes over ed davis… and people think ed davis is just so amazing… funny because the same people who say ed davis was "misused" in memphis will say hansbrough has "failed" here… when in reality, it's a combination of the fact that both of these players were either, not good enough to usurp the players ahead in the rotation or just did not fit the coach's game plan… yet both were on winning teams… the point being, if players are really that good, they would find a way to get ahead in the rotation… and it would be difficult to not play them because their impact is so great…

No one on our starting four would get minutes over Gasol-Zbo-Koutas-Leuer except maybe PPat
Using Tapatalk
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,004

Post#110 » by kalel123 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:32 pm

I don't get why so many people that like him want him here. He'll only get garbage minutes here. Let him go somewhere where he'll get minutes and prove you right. Hopefully that team is Lakers.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#111 » by will » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:42 pm

BetterCallSaul wrote:Ed has been so disappointing. Why do people think he is such a hot commodity?

He had a great stretch with the Raps. As die hard Raps fans, we fell in love with him (no homo - or all homo) and he got dealt. Raps fans tend to overrate their own players.
Calderon
Banned User
And1: 199

Post#112 » by Calderon » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:56 pm

Boogie! wrote:
trlp1712 wrote:

He was stuck behind freaking Andrea here, who he was clearly better than and deserving of minutes. The fact that he then got buried behind Randolph is nothing to be ashamed of. When he did start here he looked like a really good player, and his stats back that up.

He's one of those guys who needs to get lucky situationally in order to reach his full potential.
StatLine
Veteran
And1: 1,723

Post#113 » by StatLine » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:17 pm

Step aside, Randle, speshal Ed gonna deliver that pete zah
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#114 » by IMAN5 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:18 pm

that is an absolute steal and I have no idea why the Raptors wouldn't bring him back with the remaining MLE, or even let tyler go.

Oh well.
instagram.com/510movement
pbj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,757

Post#115 » by pbj » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:21 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
sule wrote:Lakers looking solid going forward. Not great, but definitely solid.

Lin/Nash/Marshall
Kobe/Meeks
Young??
Randle/Davis
Hill/Sacre

I dont know if they have any cap room left, but they should target players like Boozer, or Monroe, or Marion.

If they can sign those players to short-term deals (or long-term in the case of Monroe), they can field a solid team for a year or two and then try again in free agency when they have room again and a big-name player is on the market.

Thats not solid at all IMO.

I'd sit the year out if I were Kobe.. or demand a trade. That roster is a total joke, reminds me of the Chris Mihm and Smush Parker days
Spacing
Banned User
And1: 2,252

Post#116 » by Spacing » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:26 pm

BetterCallSaul wrote:Ed has been so disappointing. Why do people think he is such a hot commodity?

Cuz he's speshal!

It's all good though - he plays for my Lakers now so it's still gravy.
NeoDragonKnight
Starter
And1: 2,578

Post#117 » by NeoDragonKnight » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:28 pm

I hope Ed can find a role. 2 Mil is kind of a steal but not by much, his weaknesses on D were glaring and no good team can get by on it, at least as a starter. I liked him but I didn't like how easily he got out muscled down low, normal sized power forwards would just back him straight down, strength and sheer lack of weight is always going to be his weakness as a big man. But coming off the bench as a scorer paired a defensive center not named Bargs can help his game.
mintsa
Head Coach
And1: 3,745

Post#118 » by mintsa » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:29 pm

Ed went cheap. Hopefully Masai has a plan (which I'm sure he does). Obviously Ed Davis was not a target for him.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,235

Post#119 » by brownbobcat » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:06 pm

UnRealGM wrote:He's clearly getting paid an 'Ed' salary, nothing special about him that thirty teams in the nba would pay for..

"Nothing special" players who are worthy of NBA minutes get paid - look around, you don't need to be a great player to get money in this league. This is an amazing deal for LA.
LieCheatSteal
Assistant Coach
And1: 418

Post#120 » by LieCheatSteal » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:12 pm

I'm not sure if going to the Lakers will give Davis playing time. Spotlight, yes, but a negative one.

He should have went to the Sixers if he wanted playing time.
Two years from being two years away.

Return to Toronto Raptors