ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Tyler Ennis discussion thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,781

Re: We Got Lucky the Suns Took Tyler Ennis 

Post#21 » by UcanUwill » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:23 pm

Raptors Aiya wrote:yeah summer league is a great indicator of how far your NBA career will go

just look at the past MVPs of the summer league who went on to All-Star careers

Randy Foye
Jerryd Bayless
Josh Selby
Jeremy Lamb

it's only summer league bro, you're allowed to suck in your first year in the NBA

that's why they give you 3 year contracts

Its one thing when scrub dominates summer league, and the other, when player puts scrub performance in same summer league. First thing doesn't hold much weight, the second one is really worrisome.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#22 » by Kevin Willis » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:24 pm

Ennis' style of play is determined by the players he works with. His resume is tight, he's shown in international play that he can take over a game on his own if he has to but that's not his game.

If you look at the players that are putting up really good numbers they are the ones that are really good iso players. Lavine, Hairston, Rice Jr., Harris and even McBuckets are scorers. So you can't look at points or shooting because spacing in summer league is off and he needs lanes and not shooting shots when the play breaks down going one on one against athletic players.

Look at his rebounding and assist numbers, they are solid. In time he will have to work on his outside shot but he's young. I think he'll be slightly better than Watson but below Mike Conley. He'll be fine.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
mrdressup
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,264

Post#23 » by mrdressup » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:33 pm

If I remember correctly Ross once showed nothing special in Las Vegas SL either.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,975

Post#24 » by MEDIC » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:33 pm

Not too worried about Ennis offensively. He'll figure it out. Was always worried him defensively though.

Phoenix is the worst possible place for him though.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,957

Post#25 » by ATLTimekeeper » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:34 pm

dagger wrote:I bet he has a nice career. But he won't reach his potential with the Suns. He was, let us say, not very enthusiastic about being drafted by a team that has no obvious need for a PG, and now with Isiah Thomas on board, even less so.

He was happy to come here, even though there were plans to bring back Lowry and Vasquez.

With his type of game, you need to have competent scorers and a good offensive system around him to take advantage of his strengths, and I doubt either was true in summer league.

He had TJ Warren to work with, who was close to dominant. Good point guards should make their teammates' job easier, not the other way around. His scoring has to really evolve for him to become more than a back-up.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,957

Post#26 » by ATLTimekeeper » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:38 pm

MEDIC wrote:Not too worried about Ennis offensively. He'll figure it out. Was always worried him defensively though.

Phoenix is the worst possible place for him though.

Why? He's clearly not ready to play. But the Suns have been playing 2 PG line-ups, so when he's ready he'll be in a favourable system.
VinBaker6
RealGM
And1: 61,808

Post#27 » by VinBaker6 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:44 pm

No, we didn't get lucky. If we got him, the Canadian factor would've cemented us as title favorites. Without a Canadian on the team, we have no shot.

S/O to TZ!
mintsa
Head Coach
And1: 3,745

Post#28 » by mintsa » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:46 pm

Jumping the gun a bit...no ?
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#29 » by IMAN5 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:47 pm

Bruno got dunked on once, so he should retire as well because he sucks too.
instagram.com/510movement
YoungG
Head Coach
And1: 4,505

Post#30 » by YoungG » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:51 pm

I think with Tyler, you have to take in consideration the jump in regards to the talent that he's had to face in the last 3 years. Highschool, College, Pros. In Highschool he was decent, in College he was good enough (at the right time), and so far he's going up against grown men who have played basketball longer and are used to the speed of the game.

His feel for the game is his gift from the basketball gods, and I have no doubt that he'll be better as his career continues along. Should he have played better, I think so, but with a lack of athleticism, speed and average defensive abilities, he's the type of player that needs time, a system and familiarity to stand out.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,216

Post#31 » by niQ » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:54 pm

tbh I wasn't really high on him. But I think if he can be put into the right situation (not PHX) he may get a chance. His BB IQ is high but he doesn't have the speed. We'll see...
CoachJReturns
RealGM
And1: 10,535

Post#32 » by CoachJReturns » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:00 pm

Summer league doesn't mean much, but maybe it'll turn out well for us. The Suns already may not have many minutes for him, so perhaps Masai can buy low if his value drops. Get him for a second rounder. Would make Masai happy to have both the prospects he wanted, I'd imagine.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,499

Post#33 » by dagger » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:06 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
dagger wrote:I bet he has a nice career. But he won't reach his potential with the Suns. He was, let us say, not very enthusiastic about being drafted by a team that has no obvious need for a PG, and now with Isiah Thomas on board, even less so.

He was happy to come here, even though there were plans to bring back Lowry and Vasquez.

With his type of game, you need to have competent scorers and a good offensive system around him to take advantage of his strengths, and I doubt either was true in summer league.

He had TJ Warren to work with, who was close to dominant. Good point guards should make their teammates' job easier, not the other way around. His scoring has to really evolve for him to become more than a back-up.

I don't know if Vasquez was the plan if we had drafted Ennis.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
barrist
RealGM
And1: 716

Post#34 » by barrist » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:08 pm

And had we drafted him, we'd be saying that Summer League don't matter.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,500

Post#35 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:17 pm

He should be a solid backup PG, but I question his potential to be a good starter.
EJaggit
Starter
And1: 2,328

Post#36 » by EJaggit » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:22 pm

Only way he would have become better is if he had Lowry mentor him!

On a serious note it's early to say if he's going to have a good career. Main reason I'm saying that is because he isn't like a traditional "point guard" today. He's a TRUE point guard, as a distributor. So let's see what happens in the season. Although how would he get playing time if Bledsoe comes back, with Dragic and Isiah Thomas on the same team...
cookieman
Sixth Man
And1: 192

Post#37 » by cookieman » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:16 pm

Trey Burke was equally terrible last summer and was a much older, more experienced player. He then went on to have a good rookie season, and figures to be a big part of the Jazz's future. Tyler is a very young player, and it's going to take some time. Sky ain't falling.
m83588333
Analyst
And1: 1,383

Post#38 » by m83588333 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:22 pm

iiSummer league is five guys playing pickup. Ennis really isn't going to show anything people don't already know. Not great athletically, OK shot. A couple of practices and no set offense will make him look bad. In a system Ennis will look better. Phoenix and their running offense with Bledsoe, Thomas and Dragic penetrating doesn't fit Ennis at all.
Using Tapatalk
m83588333
Analyst
And1: 1,383

Post#39 » by m83588333 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:24 pm

Forgot to add, Ennis for Danials would make sense for both teams.
Using Tapatalk
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,953

Post#40 » by Shock Defeat » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:27 pm

SL is terrible competition though. Any legit NBA player should dominate the summer league, or at least not put up scrub stats.

Return to Toronto Raptors