ImageImageImageImageImage

Sam Smith Gives love to JV: Off season Grades

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

cammac
General Manager
And1: 6,216

Re: Sam Smith Gives love to JV: Off season Grades 

Post#41 » by cammac » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:16 am

mrsocko wrote:Per of 16.15 with only 8 touches a game. Give him the same percentages with 16 touches and he's a 25 PER guy. Breakout this year.

I a huge Jonas fan but he will never get 16 touches and it is unlikely that he will be a 25PER guy.
He isn't going to get the shooting % of Drummond who shoots .814% of his shots from 0 > 3 ft. But offensively he is a much more dangerous player because he is developing range and will increasingly get to the line more and more. But he will be a very solid 10 plus rebound C and his defense while still having holes will improve each year.
His rebound total is also effected by Casey in that he wants defenders back and Drummond gets 40% of his rebounds on offense since Detroit is a terrible shooting team and had zero defensive structure. See his offensive rebounding decreasing with SVG.

I expect him to be a top 3 C in the East this year Noah, Jonas & Drummond.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,778
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#42 » by Boogie! » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:26 am

oh won't you stay with me.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
deck
Sixth Man
And1: 1,088

Re: Sam Amick Gives love to JV: Off season Grades 

Post#43 » by deck » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:31 am

Volcano wrote:
bigjabroni wrote:He has the Knicks 4th in the East and the Pelicans 3rd in the West. Bold statements by this guy.

it's FA rankings..not NBA rankings. Retaining Carmelo was pretty big for the Knicks, even though they might be mediocre for a long time.

No way Indiana should be #3. Bulls at #2 is questionable. Toronto should probably be ahead of Hornets/Wizards just from re-signing our own guys..since Knicks were ranked that high because of Melo

I have to disagree. He says this immediate before ranking the teams:

"So with summer league ending Monday and most of the wheeling and dealing pretty much done, here’s a very early look at how the conferences will be this season."

And then proceeds throughout the rankings to talk about how teams will perform in the upcoming season.

Lots of respect for Sam Smith, but he has some pretty crazy predictions here.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#44 » by Indeed » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:36 am

arbsn wrote:I still fully expect Jonas to be looked off regularly when he has good post position and he is yelling for the ball

Only 2 of our guards can pass (GV and Lowry - Maybe Louie Williams now?). DeMar may start trying to get Val involved but TRoss is going to attack every chance he gets and James Johnson... :lol: @ James Johnson passing up his for Val to score ya right I expect many rushed 3 pointers instead of post passes from this guy. Hopefully they all prove me wrong.

I don't think Lou Williams can pass. Meanwhile, both Ross and James Johnson can play the pick and roll (just James Johnson will not be effective due to his shooting), so they are not a bad passer. And I would rather them shooting the 3, as long as we can get Jonas the position for rebounding. Shooting 3s with good rebounding is also a good strategy.

As for Jonas getting more touches, I am not expecting him to create for himself, until he can get his 10 - 15 feet jumper going, so he can make use of his quickness.
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 781

Post#45 » by disoblige » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:41 am

UnRealGM wrote:IM SO EXCITED

BC was right calling him a "bouncy big".
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,403

Post#46 » by Lateral Quicks » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:41 am

Anything less than ten shot attempts per game for JV next season will be a disappointment, and I'd like to see 11-12.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Scraptor
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,884

Post#47 » by Scraptor » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:05 am

I think it's more complex than our guards wanting to get paid.

Demar clearly looked off JV a lot last season, preferring to swing the ball around on the perimeter or really almost anyone else. I really like Demar but I get the sense he wants to remain the alpha dog/franchise player of the team.

Lowry took his lead from Demar, but involved JV a bit more, though his issue was more of a trust one. I think we can expect to see Lowry try to get the ball to JV more.

GV was definitely playing for his contract. But his contract is again for two years, so it's hard to see what he does.

TRoss gave the ball up to Val fairly routinely and doesn't seem to have much of an ego.

So yeah, Val might see a few more touches, but if we really want him to develop the order has to come from on high. Masai and/or Casey have to stress that the ball goes inside, and Casey has to give Val a longer leash to work through his mistakes.

Otherwise we're going to see another frustrating season and it might really be crippling for Val's confidence.
mrsocko
Sixth Man
And1: 873

Post#48 » by mrsocko » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:09 am

Lateral Quicks wrote:Anything less than ten shot attempts per game for JV next season will be a disappointment, and I'd like to see 11-12.

hitting 55% on 12 shots is 13.2 points. FTR of .4 x 12 = 4.8 FT% of .75 = 3.6 points total = 16.8 points/game.

Four more touches a game!

Efficiency thy name is Jonas.
Dick expectation level 0/5
EnterpriseSol
Junior
And1: 656

Post#49 » by EnterpriseSol » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:11 am

I've always wondered - why there's a double-standard for PF numbers versus Centre numbers.
For instance, 13 and 10 is the expectation for JV - which most fans would be pleased with...maybe 15 and 10.
But if it were a PF, they'd be appalled, right? 20 and 10 is bar-none for most PFs.
Knucknbuc
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,732

Post#50 » by Knucknbuc » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:12 am

Ppl bitching about jv getting the ball are y'all crazy? He's got to learn how to hold on to it first dude gets it poked out eveery other time down the floor. His post game needs work. Which I'm sure he's doing . But by no means is he a guy u give it to in the post every time down the floor.

Sent from my HTCONE using RealGM Forums mobile app
m83588333
Analyst
And1: 1,383

Post#51 » by m83588333 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:15 am

Knucknbuc wrote:Ppl bitching about jv getting the ball are y'all crazy? He's got to learn how to hold on to it first dude gets it poked out eveery other time down the floor. His post game needs work. Which I'm sure he's doing . But by no means is he a guy u give it to in the post every time down the floor.

Sent from my HTCONE using RealGM Forums mobile app

Regular season is the time to give him the ball. Rather have him turn the ball over against the Magic in a meaningless regular season game then go into the playoffs without ever feeding him the ball all season again
Using Tapatalk
UnderdogRaptors
RealGM
And1: 44,305

Post#52 » by UnderdogRaptors » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:21 am

once he polishes his low post game and doesn't turn it over as much give him more touches until then no. KL and DD are the #1 and 2 options JV can turn into that if he was more under control in the low block, next year he needs to take a huge step or its over.
BC_IS_A_PLAYA wrote:jonas sucks, his dad should have got a vasectomy
m83588333
Analyst
And1: 1,383

Post#53 » by m83588333 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:26 am

UnderdogRaptors wrote:once he polishes his low post game and doesn't turn it over as much give him more touches until then no. KL and DD are the #1 and 2 options JV can turn into that if he was more under control in the low block, next year he needs to take a huge step or its over.

He's 22 its not over but the organization will reevaluate his future. Both Ross and JV have extensions coming up after this season. If JV gets close to 20/10 and improves his D a 5 yr extension and franchise designation would be smart.
Using Tapatalk
industry_killer
Veteran
And1: 278

Post#54 » by industry_killer » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:47 am

I stopped reading once I saw he had the Knicks fourth.
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#55 » by hyper316 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:58 am

seriously, it seemed like JV was getting no touches except from Lowry. The wings need to look to entry the ball first, then make their move
almatic
Veteran
And1: 1,713

Post#56 » by almatic » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:45 am

J-Roc wrote:Uh oh, GV hasn't been paid. He wants that next contract.

GV made a name of himself by leading the league in assists in 2012-13... hopefully he should know where his moneymaking skill is.
bonjovi0308
Veteran
And1: 889

Post#57 » by bonjovi0308 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:33 am

Lucky26 wrote:http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/winners-and-losers-nba-free-agency

7. Toronto Raptors: They pretty much stabilized in their main move of retaining Kyle Lowry. He had his best season in his contract year, which is always a concern. They added Lou Williams for depth shooting and have a deep bench with Greivis Vasquez and Patrick Patterson. The issue is whether the guards will yet involve Jonas Valanciunas, which they should as they have now been paid.

You have to watch a lot of Raptors to notice Jonas doesn't get a lot of touches in good position; but I think he has a point, everyone has gotten paid now, I think Jonas will get way more looks and touches. Expect him to breakout.

Even Charles Barkley and Casey, which I was surprised that he would give spec. numbers, said that Val should be expected to be around 13 points, 10+ rebounds.

Demar already has his contract but he is still always looking off from a WIDE OPEN JV!!

They need to learn the Spurs way and to share the ball more for an easy basket. Its same 2 points (or 3) whether its a hero ball or from team play.
Truthrising
RealGM
And1: 7,966

Post#58 » by Truthrising » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:39 am

I think the problem of the team is Derozan, I don't think he has any respect for Valenciunas and his offensive game. I really dont think Valenciunas will flourish in this type of offensive system, he'd be much more suitable in a system like the Spurs where there willing passers. Not in a system where a player like Derozan would rather play iso ball all day.
Masai's to do list
Trade - Ibaka
PopAGat
Starter
And1: 472

Post#59 » by PopAGat » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:25 am

How far this team goes is largely dependent on how well Valanciunas rebounds + fights down low. We lost games from not being tough enough inside. He should be our 3rd option, he's capable of being that guy. Derozan-Lowry-Val are lethal if they can hit their potential.
Credits to TurboZone
woid
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#60 » by woid » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:30 am

It's always the first few minutes that JV get touches. He scores half of his total points for the game then and the guards start chucking shots as soon as they see that they have an early lead. I always see JV scoring 6 or 8 points in just first quarter alone and get hyped up but he fades away as the game goes on... If he can get some constant touches, he'll be good to go.
SCOTTIE BARNES ROTY

Return to Toronto Raptors