ImageImageImageImageImage

Kyle Lowry's contract

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

WigginsNation
Analyst
And1: 1,389

Kyle Lowry's contract 

Post#1 » by WigginsNation » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:53 am

So we signed Kyle to a 4 year 48 million contract, with a player option to opt out after year 3. What was the rationale in Masai proposing/agreeing to this player option?

12 million per year for Lowry is a bargain, and it would have been preferred to sign him to the 5 years he was asking for, rather then have him opt out after 3 years and ask for more.

5 years 60 million for Lowry wouldve been a steal!
ballislife
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,005

Re: Kyle Lowry's contract 

Post#2 » by ballislife » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:01 am

I dont understand the thread. If it is "what was Masai's rationale," I think you answered it.

His deal is a bargain if you consider that he's our best player and leader, and we got him for $3 million less per year than Chandler Parsons. Masai is a genius GM.
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#3 » by hyper316 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:02 am

if lowry was 23 years-old like DeRozan, then sure go ahead and offer 5 years. but lowry is gonna be 31 years-old in 3 years, those extra 2 years (32-33 years-old) may be declining real fast, especially the way Lowry plays like a bulldog, definitely going to see wear and tear on the body (see wade's decline and he's 32 years-old)
Lake Forrest
Junior
And1: 420

Post#4 » by Lake Forrest » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:14 am

I don't doubt Lowry will still be effective at 32, however I believe this is a good contract, most of our core guys are still young and I think it's essential to have flexibility going forward with these guys.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,755

Post#5 » by Badonkadonk » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:44 am

If the opt-out is Lowry's, then it's irrelevant whether the contract turns out to be a 'steal' since the player holds the power.

In other words, even if Masai wanted 5 years, Lowry had good leverage so it's a moot point.
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,603

Post#6 » by Ackshun » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:50 am

who cares.

Let's NBA
Dan2087
2016 "Beat The Commish" Champion
And1: 5,120

Post#7 » by Dan2087 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:52 am

Its great for both sides. I think Lowry will be productive for the length of the contract. We get him at a bargain and he's still making decent money. If we aren't competitive or if he thinks he can make more money, he has an out with his option

5 years is too risky with a player like him IMO
LondonShoutout
Junior
And1: 1,111

Post#8 » by LondonShoutout » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:59 am

He's prone to injuries and his age are factors (even though he's the little engine that could). But as you said it was a bargain.
#WeTheNorth
The Business
Junior
And1: 327

Post#9 » by The Business » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:49 am

The most applicable statistics in my estimation that can best infer the rate of decline of a player is still MINUTES PLAYED. Several players decline noticeably after roughly 30,000 minutes played in their careers. This of course doesn't factor in career threatening or longevity threatening injuries (i.e wade meniscus removal, derrick rose knees, grant hill ankles). If a player takes a noticeable leap in improvement later in their career say...(25-28 years old), if they haven't seen relatively high amount of minutes, it's SAFER to bet that they won't decline as drastically when they hit 32-33, so by all means offer the 5 year contract. But if they have been logging 35+ minutes per game and playing anywhere from 66-82 games a year for the past 10 years and they are now reupping for a 5 year contract at the same age (25-28) I would say - especially in the case of a guard - you want the 3 years contract and not 5.
WigginsNation
Analyst

Post#10 » by WigginsNation » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:55 am

Just to clarify, though Lowry signed a 4 year contract, I think it's highly possible he'll opt out after 3 years simply because he can get more money. Which is why i think we shouldve just signed him for 5 years to get even more bang for the buck.

Lowry doesnt have as much mileage as say Dwade, so I'm sure he can still be a very effective player when he's 32-33. And if Masai saw that his productivity was declining, he could easily trade him. I really think signing him for 5 years wouldve been even better.
RonaldArtest
General Manager
And1: 12,531

Post#11 » by RonaldArtest » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:04 am

Who cares? If he plays great and opts out for more money, depending on where we are as a team, just sign him again. Like others have mentioned, 5 years may have been too long given his style of play and current age.
WigginsNation
Analyst

Post#12 » by WigginsNation » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:02 am

RonaldArtest wrote:Who cares? If he plays great and opts out for more money, depending on where we are as a team, just sign him again. Like others have mentioned, 5 years may have been too long given his style of play and current age.

Is there any doubt he wont play well?? Lowry's best years are ahead of him, and he'll be gunning to be an allstar for many years to come. Which is why signing him to 5 years wouldve been better instead of him opting out after 3 years and then re-signing him for significantly more.

If the concern is his play possibly declining, then we have the best trader in the business. Problem solved.
cammac
General Manager
And1: 6,216

Post#13 » by cammac » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:58 am

LondonShoutout wrote:He's prone to injuries and his age are factors (even though he's the little engine that could). But as you said it was a bargain.

So tired of idiotic comments in he is prone to injuries can you please illuminate me on those injuries that you are talking about? :banghead: It is such a over worked canard by people too lazy to understand his history of games lost especially his last year in Houston.
cammac
General Manager
And1: 6,216

Post#14 » by cammac » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:03 pm

The Business wrote:The most applicable statistics in my estimation that can best infer the rate of decline of a player is still MINUTES PLAYED. Several players decline noticeably after roughly 30,000 minutes played in their careers. This of course doesn't factor in career threatening or longevity threatening injuries (i.e wade meniscus removal, derrick rose knees, grant hill ankles). If a player takes a noticeable leap in improvement later in their career say...(25-28 years old), if they haven't seen relatively high amount of minutes, it's SAFER to bet that they won't decline as drastically when they hit 32-33, so by all means offer the 5 year contract. But if they have been logging 35+ minutes per game and [url]playing anywhere from 66-82 games a year for the past 10 years and they are now reupping for a 5 year contract at the same age (25-28[/url]) I would say - especially in the case of a guard - you want the 3 years contract and not 5.

Yes I agree with you lots of players who are 15 years old log those heavy minutes in the NBA for 10 years :banghead:
barrist
RealGM
And1: 716

Post#15 » by barrist » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:23 pm

BCfortheWin wrote:Just to clarify, though Lowry signed a 4 year contract, I think it's highly possible he'll opt out after 3 years simply because he can get more money. Which is why i think we shouldve just signed him for 5 years to get even more bang for the buck.

Lowry doesnt have as much mileage as say Dwade, so I'm sure he can still be a very effective player when he's 32-33. And if Masai saw that his productivity was declining, he could easily trade him. I really think signing him for 5 years wouldve been even better.

Do you really see him getting more than 12 in year 4?

This was a contract year and he may have peaked. I'll be happy if he's 80% of what he did last year for the remainder of his contract.
Mascot
Lead Assistant
And1: 972

Post#16 » by Mascot » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:23 pm

Contract works well for both sides

If Lowry is playing poorly then we have less years of the salary burden in a 4 year contract instead of 5.

If Lowry is still preforming after year 3 he can opt out and cash in for another three year contract.

There is also a high chance that their are incentives built in like DeMars contract.

remember DeMar was slated to make $9,500,000 this year but because of last year hes now going to make $10,100,000
The Business
Junior
And1: 327

Post#17 » by The Business » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:31 pm

cammac wrote:
The Business wrote:The most applicable statistics in my estimation that can best infer the rate of decline of a player is still MINUTES PLAYED. Several players decline noticeably after roughly 30,000 minutes played in their careers. This of course doesn't factor in career threatening or longevity threatening injuries (i.e wade meniscus removal, derrick rose knees, grant hill ankles). If a player takes a noticeable leap in improvement later in their career say...(25-28 years old), if they haven't seen relatively high amount of minutes, it's SAFER to bet that they won't decline as drastically when they hit 32-33, so by all means offer the 5 year contract. But if they have been logging 35+ minutes per game and [url]playing anywhere from 66-82 games a year for the past 10 years and they are now reupping for a 5 year contract at the same age (25-28[/url]) I would say - especially in the case of a guard - you want the 3 years contract and not 5.

Yes I agree with you lots of players who are 15 years old log those heavy minutes in the NBA for 10 years :banghead:

Why not actually discuss the idea I brought up instead of nit picking a technicality/typo. 7-10 years of experience instead of 10 fine with you? I'm surprised someone with as many posts as you do, would even care to comment on something so inconsequential...
mintsa
Head Coach
And1: 3,745

Post#18 » by mintsa » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:34 pm

I disagree. The I have no problem at all with the opt out. If KLow keeps on getting better and we keep on winning. Give the man more money after 3 years.
Blast Tyrant
Banned User
And1: 3,059

Post#19 » by Blast Tyrant » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:35 pm

cammac wrote:
LondonShoutout wrote:He's prone to injuries and his age are factors (even though he's the little engine that could). But as you said it was a bargain.

So tired of idiotic comments in he is prone to injuries can you please illuminate me on those injuries that you are talking about? :banghead: It is such a over worked canard by people too lazy to understand his history of games lost especially his last year in Houston.

Yeah I have so many friends who throw around the "injury prone" label with Lowry and it's just a straight up fabrication. It's weird, because you don't really hear the media call him injury prone. It's just some delusion fans have concocted over the years and ran with.
MVP-
Starter
And1: 2,394

Post#20 » by MVP- » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:32 pm

Wasn't it rumoured that Kyle was asking for 5 years but Masai was hesistant to give him 5 so Lowry and his agent strong-armed them into 4 years with the 3rd being an option? I swear that's what I read somewhere on here...

P.S. If he plays at the level he did last season for the duration of the contract..... we literally have to build Masai a statue and just pay him $1,000,000,000 a year for the rest of his life.

Return to Toronto Raptors