ImageImageImageImageImage

Rank the Atlantic Division for the 2014-2015 season

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,807

Re: Rank the Atlantic Division for the 2014-2015 season 

Post#21 » by Steelo Green » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:10 pm

Nets shouldn't be a write off because Brooke is back and Hollins will work those guys. Look what he did witht he bigs in Memphis.

Knicks will be worse.
mcwu11
Sophomore
And1: 113

Post#22 » by mcwu11 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:19 pm

1. Toronto Raptors
The Raptors' main goal was to retain the services of their all-star calibre point guard in Kyle Lowry. They did that. They wanted to keep their depth at the point guard and power forward spot, and to let the young players grow and improve through continuity. They re-signed Vasquez and Patterson. They were exposed by the play of a strong wing player in the playoffs, and addressed that need at a low cost with James Johnson. They traded a veteran who needed a new situation for a scoring punch off the bench with Lou Williams and a high-end prospect in Bebe. With the success last year and their new additions, they should be able to build on it and improve even more.

2. Brooklyn Nets
The departure of Pierce and Livingston will certainly be a knock to the team, but don't forget they still have a strong group in the backcourt with Deron Williams and Joe Johnson. They landed Jarrett Jack this offseason and was able to retain the services of Kevin Garnett. Add in that Brook Lopez could be returning to the line-up this year, as well as a new and much more capable coach, and Brooklyn continues to compete for the Atlantic Division.

3. New York Knicks
Being able to bring Carmelo back to the Big Apple was huge for the Knicks organization. With a much better option at point guard with Calderon, this could allow the offense to flow a lot more than in years past. Hardaway Jr will continue to develop into a good offensive player, which will also bolster the Knicks' play on that side of the court. However, none of their possible lineups will have a strong defensive presence, which could lead to major issues down the road, regardless of how many points they can put up.

4. Boston Celtics
It was clear that Boston was aiming for a high draft pick last year, and although they were not able to reach for the likes of Wiggins, Parker, or Embiid, they landed a very strong and talented guard in Marcus Smart. Their young core is still in place, and they even managed to squeeze Tyler Zeller from the Cavaliers as a strong rim protector. While the future may be bright for them, they will take some time to adjust to each other and may falter this season.

5. Philadelphia 76ers
Like Boston, it was clear the City of Brotherly Love was not in contention for a playoff spot, and it continues to look that way for the foreseeable future. They had a very good draft, but their picks were made for the future, as Embiid had been flagged for his injuries (will miss time) and Saric is set to return overseas to continue his development. One silver lining would be that Nerlens Noel has looked terrific for Philadelphia during Summer League, and could be a dominant force for them. Michael-Carter Williams will continue to put up numbers for a poor team, and one has to wonder what Philadelphia's motives are for Thaddeus Young.
Flight33
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,887

Post#23 » by Flight33 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:20 pm

1. Raptors (52 wins)
2. Nets (43 wins)
3. Knicks (36 wins)
4. Celtics (29 wins)
5. Sixers (22 wins)
Raps Militia
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,458

Post#24 » by Raps Militia » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:31 pm

1- Raptors (55 wins)
2- Nets (39 wins)
3- Knicks (37 wins)
4- Celtics (29 wins)
5- Sixers (24 wins)
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#25 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:40 pm

1. Toronto Raptors
2. Brooklyn Nets
3. New York Knicks
4. Boston Celtics
5. Philadelphia 76ers

With the Raptors and Nets making the playoffs.

The Knicks and Celts may ultimately swap places;

I think that Tyson Chandler did a lot of things on that team that largely went unnoticed, I would even go as far as to say he was their second best player, Having a front-court of Melo + Daly, Bargnani, STAT, Aldrich, and Tyler isn't exactly going to set the world on fire.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#26 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:42 pm

RaptorsFTL wrote:Nets shouldn't be a write off because Brooke is back and Hollins will work those guys. Look what he did witht he bigs in Memphis.

Knicks will be worse.

Absolutely;

The Nets still have talent on their roster and while they may have lost Livingston and Pierce they will technically be adding Jack and Lopez which makes for a pretty solid roster.

They also have a competent and experienced coach this season which should make a difference.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
BackOnDaBlock
Banned User
And1: 464

Post#27 » by BackOnDaBlock » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:37 pm

RAPS WIL NOT ONLY WIN DA DIVISION WE WILL WIN IT ALL LEMME TELL YA!!!!!!

ANY1 ELSE LIKE 2 GET DRUNKA ND GHIGH?
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,364

Post#28 » by Hero » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:43 pm

If we can't top the Atlantic I will be beyond disappointed. It is literally a cakewalk.

Our concern must be to also have homecourt advantage.
daswunderboy
Analyst
And1: 2,141

Post#29 » by daswunderboy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:36 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:
dTox wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:The loss of the Nets head coach? Replacing JKidd with Lionel Hollins isnt a loss IMO.

Losing Livingston who couldnt shoot for JJ isnt necessarily a loss either, aside from changing offense for defense. What about the addition of Bropez? presuming he can play more than 17 games. He was absolutely dominant in those 17 too, amazing/surprising rim protection, 62.9 TS%, 6th best OPPP, 5th best DPPP as per Synergy.

I think the Nets/Knicks are both the likely threats, and if the Raps can lead the league in man games not lost to injury, we should repeat. But every prediction thread should be with that caveat.

OP can you post the link of the preview? Seems like FA grades, not season previews. Clearly contract values (JJs), and how much MProk is willing to spend into the tax have no indication on if they could win the Atlantic.

Definitely see the Nets as a threat to us, but I think Knicks will fumble and tumble with no Chandler while playing Andrea/Amar'e at C.

Agreed, im not high on the Knicks either, but they have Melo, and alot of more knowledgeable ppl seem to think they will be successful. But im not willing to delve into all the statistics and research to refute/advocate those claims hah.

Eh, I take "knowledgeable" people with a grain of salt. The more I read, the more it's clear they think Phil Jackson is in possession of a Wizards's wand, and he can magically turn turds into gold. The Knicks have downgraded their roster from last year (lost Chandler, gained Bargnani back from injury). They have a guy who hasn't coached a game in his life at any level coming in to implement a play style he has never coached to players who have never played in it.

Like I said, these so called experts aren't evaluating the team, they are evaluating their masturbatory fantasies about the genius that is Phil Jackson. Knicks will be a lotto team next year.
DK-All Day
General Manager
And1: 8,335

Post#30 » by DK-All Day » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:36 pm

Sorry guys, the Celtics are winning the vision. They will be this years version of the Portland Trail Blazers.
Handsome.
Statistician MK
Junior
And1: 424

Post#31 » by Statistician MK » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:40 pm

1. Toronto Raptors
2. N/A
3. N/A
4. N/A
5. N/A
We all have different opinions, and that is one thing that makes this forum great.
OhMyBosh
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,206

Post#32 » by OhMyBosh » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:46 pm

1. Toronto
2. Brooklyn
3. New York
4. Boston
5. Philadelphia

This division is horrendous. I don't think we have an excuse to not take the crown.
Player23
Sophomore
And1: 171

Post#33 » by Player23 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:57 pm

dTox wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:
dTox wrote:
Definitely see the Nets as a threat to us, but I think Knicks will fumble and tumble with no Chandler while playing Andrea/Amar'e at C.

Agreed, im not high on the Knicks either, but they have Melo, and alot of more knowledgeable ppl seem to think they will be successful. But im not willing to delve into all the statistics and research to refute/advocate those claims hah.

Melo is one hell of a player, I think it's laughable how some around here dismiss the impact he can have on a team (i.e. http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1337363), especially when surrounded by the right players who can mask his weakness

How do you mask someone else being a j***ass?
Rapz
Banned User
And1: 1,191

Post#34 » by Rapz » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:32 pm

I think it will be a tight race between Raps/NYK/Nets and it could go either way.

I'm very curios to see how the NYK will do with the triangle offense, new coach and a bunch of new players. I do think they could be a very good team (although not from the beginning). I have a lot of confidence in Zen Master and his ability to improve the team before playoffs.

Also if Lopez is healthy, Nets will be giving Raps a run for their money.
Mascot
Lead Assistant
And1: 972

Post#35 » by Mascot » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:41 pm

1. Toronto 48-34

2. Brooklyn 38-44
3. New York 35-47
4. Boston 29-53
5. Philadelphia 15-67
Mascot
Lead Assistant
And1: 972

Post#36 » by Mascot » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:43 pm

Rapz wrote:I think it will be a tight race between Raps/NYK/Nets and it could go either way.

I'm very curios to see how the NYK will do with the triangle offense, new coach and a bunch of new players. I do think they could be a very good team (although not from the begging). I have a lot of confidence in Zen Master and his ability to improve the team before playoffs.

Jose Calderon
Iman Shumpert
Carmelo Anthony
Andrea Bargnani
Amare Stoudemire

no way they contend for the division.
Rapz
Banned User
And1: 1,191

Post#37 » by Rapz » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:38 pm

Mascot wrote:
Rapz wrote:I think it will be a tight race between Raps/NYK/Nets and it could go either way.

I'm very curios to see how the NYK will do with the triangle offense, new coach and a bunch of new players. I do think they could be a very good team (although not from the begging). I have a lot of confidence in Zen Master and his ability to improve the team before playoffs.

Jose Calderon
Iman Shumpert
Carmelo Anthony
Andrea Bargnani
Amare Stoudemire

no way they contend for the division.

we'll see...plus i said:
I have a lot of confidence in Zen Master and his ability to improve the team before playoffs.
UnderdogRaptors
RealGM
And1: 44,305

Post#38 » by UnderdogRaptors » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:38 pm

I have knicks winning division :cry: I've already accepted this so I don't get disappointed in the regular season
BC_IS_A_PLAYA wrote:jonas sucks, his dad should have got a vasectomy
6ixSideSniper
Head Coach
And1: 11,585

Post#39 » by 6ixSideSniper » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:39 am

What a joy to play in the Atlantic.

The only time i didn't feel that way was when Boston first formed their big 3.
What about DeRozan dawg?!?!

2018-2019 NBA CHAMPIONS

Rest In Peace The_Hater
Left Side Drive
Head Coach
And1: 4,143

Post#40 » by Left Side Drive » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:18 pm

DK-All Day wrote:Sorry guys, the Celtics are winning the vision. They will be this years version of the Portland Trail Blazers.

What makes you think the Celtics aren't going to tank again this year?
Looking for a new signature. Currently, still evaluating.

Return to Toronto Raptors