ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps still being shown disrespect.

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

GOAT107
Sophomore
And1: 120

Raps still being shown disrespect. 

Post#1 » by GOAT107 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:37 pm

I'm sure there have been threads like this previously, but it needs to be said again. Whenever I go on sports sites, i see 2 things. The wizards and the hornets are being overrated, and the raptors are being underrated. All of a sudden people think the wizards are serious contenders for the chip. Hornets as well, just because the addition of Stephenson and 2 draft picks. But there is still no sign of the raptors.

People seem to forget what the raptors have accomplished last year. 48 wins. 3-1 against Washington but also 0-3 against Charlotte. The raptors had the most wins in the east after Gay was traded, but you all know that. Sure, they got knocked out in the first round, but it was their first playoff experience. The wizards got past the first round and still lost to an awful pacers team. That's not much better. Charlotte got swept, they obviously improved this offseason but by how much?

Then the offseason. The wizards lost Ariza, but gained pierce, while overpaying gortat. The hornets added Stephenson and drafted Noah Vonleh (who hasn't shown much) and PJ Hairston (looks like a poor mans Jr Smith). The raps didn't do much obviously, but they kept their core together, one that was one of the best, and then added on to it with acquisitions of Williams, BeBe and Johnson. Not big names by any means but they are capable.

I used to think John wall was underrated, I thought he was the best PG in the east (he still is). But then people started treating him like god. He's not a great shooter at all, he's an athlete. Kyle Lowry is close behind him. Then Bradley beal is decent, I like him, but he's not a great 2 guard by any means. Then Otto porter and glen rice jr. Are coming off a great summer league, but come on, it's summer league. The hornets have got our number, but we only play them a few times a year.

Now the raptors (get ready for super biased opinions) we have a top 7 PG in Lowry, one of the best 2 guards in the league (I think he'll be the best soon), we have a capable young wing (hopefully he improves from last year, looks like he added some muscle), we have an above average rim protecter in Johnson, and a future star with a great post game in JV.

Then our bench is fantastic. Swagquez and Williams in the backcourt is great, Johnson is an amazing athlete, PPatt is a capable stretch 4, and hopefully we get a backup C or bebe pans out. Of course we still have the Brazilian Kevin Durant. This is a young team that will only get better, a team that I think could win the east, or get close.

I don't really know what point I'm making is, but I'm a little tired of people forgetting about the raptors.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
UnRealGM
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,157

Re: Raps still being shown disrespect. 

Post#2 » by UnRealGM » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:39 pm

Derailing GIF
grumpwalter
Analyst
And1: 1,410

Post#3 » by grumpwalter » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:42 pm

I know, and another thing, people are talking about Lowry only playing for a contract, the same can be said of guys like Gortat and Stephenson too.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#4 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:57 pm

It's all about ^

I did read the first few lines....Why do people thing it's disrespectful if people are not taking post season next year for us as a sure thing. If you asked Casey if Playoffs are a sure thing, what do you think he'd say? If the players approached the season that playoffs are a sure thing, how do you think that would turn out?

It's always better to overestimate your opponent, than yourself. Encourage other people to sleep on us. It's more fun when they don't see us coming. And I never understood why so many people give a crap about who rates their team what, it doesn't matter. It will be decided after 82 games.

Sent using the letters in my alphabet soup....there were no z's.
Roland Brice
Banned User
And1: 2,705

Post#5 » by Roland Brice » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:58 pm

We don't need to be shown respect by idiots, we need to continue to prove it on the court.
Raptors_Dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 8,943

Post#6 » by Raptors_Dynasty » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:58 pm

grumpwalter wrote:I know, and another thing, people are talking about Lowry only playing for a contract, the same can be said of guys like Gortat and Stephenson too.

But they play for American teams, so obviously Gortat and Stephenson are immune to dips in play after their contract years.
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,806

Post#7 » by Steelo Green » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:02 pm

Didn't stop us from winning a division title. It just lowers the value of their opinions.

People don't watch Skip or Stephen A for accurate predictions, they do for the comedy circus they create.

I can yell louder than you is unfortunately what attracts most sports fans.
DJ_RnC
Analyst
And1: 5,231

Post#8 » by DJ_RnC » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:11 pm

Why do Raptors fans still possess the insecurity about what mainstream sports media thinks of us? We were a winning team last year and we're building on that and most of us expect to win the division again giving us a top 4 spot. If the American media isn't pointing this out, who cares, why the **** are we so worried about what they have to say? Wizards and Hornets are being mentioned because they've made interesting free agent moves, something to talk about. Raptors primarily just retained their own free agents, if media outlets have to discuss offseason basketball they sure as hell aren't going to be talking about the team in Canada who lost in the first round and for the most part retained their own players, that's not what gets viewers.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. We know we're a good team, we don't need the reassurance from the American media who doesn't give a damn about us anyways. Raptor fans really need to abandon this insecure mentality. The attention from the media (both Canadian and American) will come when we win something significant such as a playoff series.

/rant
Flight33
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,887

Post#9 » by Flight33 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:16 pm

Lions don't worry themselves about the opinions of sheep. Be a lion.
Mahoner
Senior
And1: 903

Post#10 » by Mahoner » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:19 pm

I'm cautiously still optimistic about the Raptors this year, but between them Washington and Charlotte 1 of those teams is bound to take a step backwards - and I really hope it's not us. It's just the nature of sports, especially with young players.
barrist
RealGM
And1: 716

Post#11 » by barrist » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:25 pm

Whining about "disrespect" doesn't get you anywhere. It just makes you look kinda pathetic. Every time I see someone cry about the "American mediaaaaaa" supposedly snub the Raptors, it's cringeworthy. Get over it.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,537

Post#12 » by DG88 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:38 pm

And I thought the #WETHENORTH campaign changed the mentality around here guess not. Who cares whether the American pundits don't talk about us it's what we want. We know that our team is good we don't need ESPN to validate that for us. The Raptors again will show that last year was not a fluke.
trick
Head Coach
And1: 905

Post#13 » by trick » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:42 pm

I don't care about this respect garbage that gets thrown out around here, but how much respect would you expect when the team didn't even win 50 games and were upsetted by a lower seed in the playoffs?
#Raptors are 7-1. In 6 of the past 10 seasons, a team that has started a season 7-1 has gone on to win an NBA championship.

— Sportsnet Ticker (@SportsnetTicker) November 12, 2014
for_tdot
Pro Prospect
And1: 502

Post#14 » by for_tdot » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:07 pm

DG88 wrote:And I thought the #WETHENORTH campaign changed the mentality around here guess not. Who cares whether the American pundits don't talk about us it's what we want. We know that our team is good we don't need ESPN to validate that for us. The Raptors again will show that last year was not a fluke.

Love your positive attitude bro! :D :)
Focus
Sophomore
And1: 198

Post#15 » by Focus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:11 pm

i'm honestly not sure what type of respect OP is looking for. 48 wins is great and the team looks promising, but honestly, it's probably not enough for american media to start raving about your team. consider this, some teams out west probably posted close to that many wins in their worst seasons in the past decade.

the raptors are outside the US (duh), for american media to rave about them, they will probably have to outdo themselves compared to an american team. is it totally fair? no. But is it completely unreasonable? also no.

as some posters have already mentioned, why are some people so concerned about this "lack of respect"? the prospects for you team are looking good, is that not enough? Do you need some sort of external validation? It's pathetic
SwaggyB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,595

Post#16 » by SwaggyB » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:13 pm

Focus wrote:i'm honestly not sure what type of respect OP is looking for. 48 wins is great and the team looks promising, but honestly, it's probably not enough for american media to start raving about your team. consider this, some teams out west probably posted close to that many wins in their worst seasons in the past decade.

the raptors are outside the US (duh), for american media to rave about them, they will probably have to outdo themselves compared to an american team. is it totally fair? no. But is it completely unreasonable? also no.

as some posters have already mentioned, why are some people so concerned about this "lack of respect"? the prospects for you team are looking good, is that not enough? Do you need some sort of external validation? It's pathetic

We just want to be loved!
PLEEEEASE LOVE US! TELL US HOW GREAT WE ARE!

But yes, I completely agree. We don't deserve anything... Why should America care about a team that isn't in their country.. especially considering they were such a surprise last year. Until we prove it wasn't a fluke, and show consistency, no one will care.
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#17 » by Anatomize » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:20 pm

(@-____-)-----@
Harold_and_Kumar
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,656

Post#18 » by Harold_and_Kumar » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:25 pm

Parataxis wrote:
SwaggyB wrote:
Dr Octagon wrote:Sent from my Forest using Smoke Signal.

Sent from my message using a bottle.

... . -. - / ..-. .-. --- -- / -- -.-- / - . .-.. . --. .-. .- .--. .... / ..- ... .. -. --. / -.. --- - ... / .- -. -.. / -.. .- ... .... . ...

well done mate,

-... ..- - / ... --- .-. .-. -.-- --..-- / -... . -.-. .- ..- ... . / .. / .... .- -.. / ... . -..- / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .-- .. ..-. .
David-Kornel
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#19 » by David-Kornel » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:28 pm

Harold_and_Kumar wrote:
Parataxis wrote:
SwaggyB wrote:
Sent from my message using a bottle.

... . -. - / ..-. .-. --- -- / -- -.-- / - . .-.. . --. .-. .- .--. .... / ..- ... .. -. --. / -.. --- - ... / .- -. -.. / -.. .- ... .... . ...

well done mate,

-... ..- - / ... --- .-. .-. -.-- --..-- / -... . -.-. .- ..- ... . / .. / .... .- -.. / ... . -..- / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .-- .. ..-. .

She wasn't his wife!!!!!!
shmoosicle
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,685

Post#20 » by shmoosicle » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:02 pm

Get over it, we haven't proven anything yet. The Wizards and Hornets made nice moves, we don't know for sure who will be sitting where at the end of next season. All analysts I've seen have predicted we'll be in the playoffs, so I wouldn't say they're disrespecting us...
"I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller, I wish I had a girl who looked good - I would call her, I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat and a '64 Impala" - Skee-Lo

Return to Toronto Raptors