ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: 76ers fighting to delay lottery changes

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Raptors_Dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 8,943

Re: OT: 76ers fighting to delay lottery changes 

Post#41 » by Raptors_Dynasty » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:33 am

:lol: love how they aren't even opposing this change, they just want to push it back so they can finish their epic tank job :lol:

Hope karma bites the 76ers hard
navyblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,612

Post#42 » by navyblue » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:51 am

something like this can be implemented immediately, but the wheel idea would have to be implemented 4-5 years down the road, so that all the pending traded draft picks are processed before that.

and complain as much as the 76ers want, they had the worst record this year and still only had the 3rd pick, its not like the current system was great for them.
UnderdogRaptors
RealGM
And1: 44,305

Post#43 » by UnderdogRaptors » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:53 am

Implement it next year pls, they aren't even hiding the fact that there trying to be as terrible as possible they will probably draft another injured player next year
BC_IS_A_PLAYA wrote:jonas sucks, his dad should have got a vasectomy
WhatsaTDot
RealGM
And1: 6,330

Post#44 » by WhatsaTDot » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:04 am

Sorry Philadelphia but

Basketball Reasons.

This place is insufferable.
deck
Sixth Man
And1: 1,087

Post#45 » by deck » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:06 am

The 76ers are right to fight this. The league should be required to give some grace period for rule changes that have implications for how teams are managed.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,748

Post#46 » by Badonkadonk » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:13 am

deck wrote:The 76ers are right to fight this. The league should be required to give some grace period for rule changes that have implications for how teams are managed.

That would only be true if the "way there are managed" didn't include blatant non-competitiveness, which is harmful in a variety of ways.

The most relevant way to the other owners, who are not pleased, is that they've softened one of the largest markets in the US with a horrifically bad team for multiple years, hurting overall league revenues.

76ers deserve zero consideration.
Clutch Carter
RealGM
And1: 71,878

Post#47 » by Clutch Carter » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:18 am

deck wrote:The 76ers are right to fight this. The league should be required to give some grace period for rule changes that have implications for how teams are managed.

Meh, that's the price you pay for not even trying to put a competitive product out there. Their blatant tanking is one of the reasons why they want to change the lottery in the first place.

The league shouldn't cater to teams who aren't even trying to win. I hope they get served.
#FreeLRJ Offical 1,000,000 post crew:
Raptor95,Seanbig,Spykelee,ClutchCarter,aRapsFan4eva,KozRJC,MAS,Slowlydrowningme,bigdub,GQstylin

whatamoron
Rookie
And1: 473

Post#48 » by whatamoron » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:24 am

Is this karma, didn't the NBA not allow the Raptors to have the #1 pick in 1996 when
they were a second year franchise, thus allowing Philadelphia to pick Alan Iverson.
Well now the NBA could be denying Philly the # 1 pick. What goes around comes
around.
deck
Sixth Man

Post#49 » by deck » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:36 am

Badonkadonk wrote:

That would only be true if the "way there are managed" didn't include blatant non-competitiveness, which is harmful in a variety of ways.

The most relevant way to the other owners, who are not pleased, is that they've softened one of the largest markets in the US with a horrifically bad team for multiple years, hurting overall league revenues.

The sixers have managed their team on rules established by the league. I think few people disagree that the rules need to be changed, but implementing the change half way through the off season would be capricious.
deck
Sixth Man

Post#50 » by deck » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:40 am

Clutch Carter wrote:

Meh, that's the price you pay for not even trying to put a competitive product out there. Their blatant tanking is one of the reasons why they want to change the lottery in the first place.

The league shouldn't cater to teams who aren't even trying to win. I hope they get served.

It's not about catering to the sixers, it about establishing the rules for the upcoming season in a manner that is consistent and fair to all teams. Announcing this change now to be implemented in 2016 would accomplish this.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,748

Post#51 » by Badonkadonk » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:52 am

deck wrote:
Badonkadonk wrote:

The sixers have managed their team on rules established by the league. I think few people disagree that the rules need to be changed, but implementing the change half way through the off season would be capricious.

I think it's disingenuous to simply cite the rules as a defense when engaging in an activity that's clearly undesirable.

Are you breaking the rules? No. Are you doing something that you know people don't like and are actively looking to change? Yes. As such, you're assuming risk and part of that is living with the consequences of what you were hoping to avoid.

deck wrote:Announcing this change now to be implemented in 2016 would accomplish this.

It also pushed back a change that is highly desirable for the league in general; why should the delay the associated benefits for the one team that was flaunting the system they want to fix?
Clutch Carter
RealGM
And1: 71,878

Post#52 » by Clutch Carter » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:59 am

deck wrote:
Clutch Carter wrote:

It's not about catering to the sixers, it about establishing the rules for the upcoming season in a manner that is consistent and fair to all teams. Announcing this change now to be implemented in 2016 would accomplish this.

There's nothing fair about trying to game the lottery system, they deserve what they get.
#FreeLRJ Offical 1,000,000 post crew:
Raptor95,Seanbig,Spykelee,ClutchCarter,aRapsFan4eva,KozRJC,MAS,Slowlydrowningme,bigdub,GQstylin

grumpwalter
Analyst
And1: 1,410

Post#53 » by grumpwalter » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:01 am

dafan590 wrote:the nba basically wants to prevent teams from tanking as soon as possible.....so....too bad sixers lol

then reward the teams that finish 9th, 10th etc... (in their conference)

make the teams that finish last do more homework with scouting, time to stop rewarding the losers.
Young Moosehead
Veteran
And1: 4,025

Post#54 » by Young Moosehead » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:04 am

DellCurry4Life wrote:
J-Roc wrote:
RaptorNews wrote:They should wait a season honestly. It's only fair

Absolutely, whatever policy comes into place should be decided now, but only enacted a couple of years down the road.

It is the fairer route to provide the 76ers a year to change course on this plan, but really as the NBA has shown in the past (vetoing Paul trade to LAL, fining Pop, etc.) it can/will do how it wants.

Personally, I would support the NBA making the change immediately. The 76ers are, on their current path, making a mockery of the NBA as they are openly making themselves as horrible as they can to exploit the letter of the law in the draft process

As bad as I do feel for Philly, that is the long and short of it. The NBA has enough accusations, whether they are baseless or not, of tampering (Cleveland and its 4 1sts in 11 years, Tim Donaghy etc.) they can't keep letting tanking go on.

The NBA and Silver have spoken out against tanking before, and draft change discussions had been happening more and more . They needed to read those tea leaves. Sad day for you Philly
“It’s like being the ugly step child… I’m 6’9 in my heart.” - FVV
gamer1035
Banned User
And1: 5,146

Post#55 » by gamer1035 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:40 am

RaptorNews wrote:They tanked for one year guys. One

HOLY ****. YOUR RIGHT.

THEY HAD A TERRIBLE TREADMILL TEAM AND DESTROYED IT THE NIGHT THEY DRAFTED MCW. THEY ONLY TANKED ONE YEAR AND HAVE 4 GREAT ASSETS.

their gm is a god
deck
Sixth Man

Post#56 » by deck » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:44 am

Badonkadonk wrote:I think it's disingenuous to simply cite the rules as a defense when engaging in an activity that's clearly undesirable.

Undesirable for who? Why should the sixers as an organization care what is desirable in the eyes of other owners. The NBA is a business. Individual teams have complete control to operate as they see fit within the guidelines put forth by the league. If the sixers felt the best way for them to put a long term competitive product on the floor was to be bad for two years and get talent through the draft, that is their right to do so. I don't know how any rational person could think operating within the rules put forth by the league is being disingenuous. It's quite the opposite; the lottery is in place today to give teams an avenue to improve.

Badonkadonk wrote:Are you doing something that you know people don't like and are actively looking to change?

No one was looking to actively change this prior to this season and certainly not two years ago when the sixers chose this path to build their team.

Badonkadonk wrote:It also pushed back a change that is highly desirable for the league in general; why should the delay the associated benefits for the one team that was flaunting the system they want to fix?

One team? And you think citing rules is being disingenuous? Tanking has been implemented by countless teams over the years and by several teams in just this past year. The sixers are clearly the poster child for this behaviour at the moment (and admittedly, they took it to a new level), but claiming that they are the only team that has made moves that worsened their competitiveness in the short term is clearly false.

Look, I believe, probably more than most, that the league needs to do something to curtail this behaviour. But I do not believe the league should ever implement rules that arbitrarily favour or disfavour any team's ability to formulate strategy for the coming season. In the case of this kind of change, enacting it for this coming season at any time after the draft does exactly that. It prevents all teams from making off season moves that are in line with landscape of league in the coming season.
Phila Tough
Head Coach
And1: 2,856

Post#57 » by Phila Tough » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:53 am

gamer1035 wrote:
RaptorNews wrote:They tanked for one year guys. One

HOLY ****. YOUR RIGHT.

THEY HAD A TERRIBLE TREADMILL TEAM AND DESTROYED IT THE NIGHT THEY DRAFTED MCW. THEY ONLY TANKED ONE YEAR AND HAVE 4 GREAT ASSETS.

their gm is a god

This is sig worthy
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,232

Post#58 » by brownbobcat » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:59 am

deck wrote:It's not about catering to the sixers, it about establishing the rules for the upcoming season in a manner that is consistent and fair to all teams. Announcing this change now to be implemented in 2016 would accomplish this.

It's not fair, but it's for the better good of the NBA as a whole. Tanking needs to be gone yesterday. Philly will likely still end up with a top 10 pick in any re-jigged system.
baulderdash77
Lead Assistant
And1: 235

Post#59 » by baulderdash77 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:03 am

I agree they should put it in place. Tanking is not a valid strategy in my mind for the NBA and they're right to do everything in their power to curtail it. It destroys the brand and the business of the league. Why would you pay and support a league where up to 1/4 of the teams are actively trying to lose games at any given point of time.

The league's problems are so deep that there's people on this board who have convinced themselves that the Sixers strategy is ok and in fact has merit.
deck
Sixth Man

Post#60 » by deck » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:08 am

Clutch Carter wrote:
deck wrote:
Clutch Carter wrote:

There's nothing fair about trying to game the lottery system, they deserve what they get.

You completely miss the point. My position has nothing to do with the sixers or anyone trying to "game the lottery system". I couldn't care less about the sixers and as a reasonably consistent member of the anti-tank movement for the past 5 years, I would actually enjoy seeing them punished for going down that path.

But that is entirely moot. The point I am trying to make is a philosophical one that transcends this particular issue. The league should not make changes that artificially favour or disfavour teams. By making this change effective starting in 2016, it would give teams an equal chance to devise their strategy in line with the new rules. By implementing it for 2015 half way through the offseason, some teams benefit, not because they were savvy and made good decisions, but simply because they happen to be a non-playoff team in the coming season.

Return to Toronto Raptors