ImageImageImageImageImage

JV at World Cup 2014

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,013

Re: JV at World Cup 2014 

Post#1061 » by raptor jesus » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:55 pm

While JV was missed - or ignored - several times, he needs to hold his position better. He has huge legs, which should allow him to hold that deep position if he sits on his defender, but too often stands upright when presenting himself, allowing his defender to get leverage and push him out farther.
Thespianoid
RealGM
And1: 78,794

Post#1062 » by Thespianoid » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:56 pm

1hit1team wrote:
Morse Code wrote:
1hit1team wrote:
i got to tell you u are the dumbest poster here really man how old are 8? its kinda embarasing to read..

:lol: I'm 28, but what makes you say that? You must be lithuanian.

well u need to stop smoke this pot.. i even dont try to explain you if u still cant undestand.. have a nice day

why blame the cannabis, of all things? Interesting to see how a fabricated stigma still has its hold on some populations.
Clementine9 wrote:Missed shots are unfortunate, but it's the trends throughout the game that matter.

Choker wrote:The swing in how Raptors fans have supported and turned on Powell is a good case study of human behavior.
BackseatBoss
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,269

Post#1063 » by BackseatBoss » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:57 pm

Thespianoid wrote:
BackseatBoss wrote:
Thespianoid wrote:
This happens with the Raptors way too often and he was probably expecting the Lithuanians to be better at it.

Nah, this was on another level. Lithuania had their player look straight at Jonas, with Jonas having decent post position and waited for more than 5 seconds.

That really sounds like DeMar at times. I've seen him do exactly what you say.

At least DeMar can create a shot for himself. Still, Jonas really looked frustrated when his teammate didn't pass him the ball. Don't know if you watched the game, but he looked really really pissed at his teammates, even turned his back to them. I've never seen him do something like that, and I've watched almost all of his games since he got drafted by us.
Narjee
Senior
And1: 627

Post#1064 » by Narjee » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:57 pm

Morse Code wrote:
1hit1team wrote:
Morse Code wrote: :lol: I'm 28, but what makes you say that? You must be lithuanian.

well u need to stop smoke this pot.. i even dont try to explain you if u still cant undestand.. have a nice day

Lol ok you have a nice day too.

I think both of you need a timeout to smoke some pot, enjoy deh game and chillllllllllllll mon.
Tomazan
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,701

Post#1065 » by Tomazan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:59 pm

Morse Code wrote:If I was JV I would say no to LTU next time they ask.

Why so? :D :D :D
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,434

Post#1066 » by Morse Code » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:04 pm

I apologize for engaging, and i was definitely exaggerating saying no to LTU, but i was just upset since it was an extreme example of what the ltu guards usually do. I wonder what it will take for JV to earn his stripe
stripes on this team, in the eyes of his teammates.
SportsFan9
Rookie
And1: 1,437

Post#1067 » by SportsFan9 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:07 pm

Was watching the US game, how did JV do?
Clementine9
RealGM
And1: 26,001

Post#1068 » by Clementine9 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:14 pm

Morse Code wrote:I apologize for engaging, and i was definitely exaggerating saying no to LTU, but i was just upset since it was an extreme example of what the ltu guards usually do. I wonder what it will take for JV to earn his stripe

I don't think you're crazy for asking the question of whether or not JV should even bother. I've thought it plenty of times before.
Lateral Quicks wrote:Gradually JV's minutes will approach zero at the same time his points and rebounds approach infinity - a statistical singularity, if you will. Shrewd move from Nurse.
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,434

Post#1069 » by Morse Code » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:30 pm

Clementine9 wrote:
Morse Code wrote:I apologize for engaging, and i was definitely exaggerating saying no to LTU, but i was just upset since it was an extreme example of what the ltu guards usually do. I wonder what it will take for JV to earn his stripe

I don't think you're crazy for asking the question of whether or not JV should even bother. I've thought it plenty of times before.

Well thanks. I usually just attribute the lack of focus on JV to him being young, and try to brush it off. JV has had, and still has holes in his game, but he's shown at the NBA and international level that he's a legit threat on the floor and deserves to get the ball far more often than he has.
Clementine9
RealGM

Post#1070 » by Clementine9 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:56 pm

Morse Code wrote:
Clementine9 wrote:

Well thanks. I usually just attribute the lack of focus on JV to him being young, and try to brush it off. JV has had, and still has holes in his game, but he's shown at the NBA and international level that he's a legit threat on the floor and deserves to get the ball far more often than he has.

That's basically my take. Has his flaws on both ends of the floor but is good enough to get more touches than he does.
Lateral Quicks wrote:Gradually JV's minutes will approach zero at the same time his points and rebounds approach infinity - a statistical singularity, if you will. Shrewd move from Nurse.
hound101
Junior
And1: 256

Post#1071 » by hound101 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:25 pm

Thespianoid wrote:
1hit1team wrote:
Morse Code wrote: :lol: I'm 28, but what makes you say that? You must be lithuanian.

why blame the cannabis, of all things? Interesting to see how a fabricated stigma still has its hold on some populations.

Teh cannabis makes me (Please Use More Appropriate Word). Surely I'm not the only one who turns into a dumb dumb after loading a fat one.
BackseatBoss
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,269

Post#1072 » by BackseatBoss » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:46 pm

SportsFan9 wrote:Was watching the US game, how did JV do?

Was pretty much manhandling Tomic, who is supposedly one of the best centers in Europe right now. Offensively he could not be stopped, was getting either fouled or pretty easy buckets created mostly by himself. He even hit a mid-range jumper! Defensively he wasn't great, but wasn't terrible either. I think Tomic scored 3 points in total against Jonas. Was still struggling defending the pick and roll, but really the whole Lithuanian squad looked like they had no idea how to rotate.

He had more trouble playing against some other dude from Croatia, who looked like he should be around 40 years old. He didn't get scored on, but he also didn't really score a lot either.

He also kinda lost his temper when his teammate for whatever reason didn't give Jonas the ball in the post, which has been happening a lot in these friendly games, so he just straight up turned his back to the court, which was pretty odd and not a typical thing you see from Jonas. During the next play he was on the receiving end of a bad pass and when his opponent started running, he stopped him with a pretty hard clear path foul. It looked like he wanted to throw his opponent to the ground.

Overall a pretty good game, great first half. Had 16 points on efficient shooting, I think he missed 2 shots and 1 FT.
Clementine9
RealGM

Post#1073 » by Clementine9 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:55 pm

BackseatBoss wrote:

Was pretty much manhandling Tomic, who is supposedly one of the best centers in Europe right now. Offensively he could not be stopped, was getting either fouled or pretty easy buckets created mostly by himself. He even hit a mid-range jumper! Defensively he wasn't great, but wasn't terrible either. I think Tomic scored 3 points in total against Jonas. Was still struggling defending the pick and roll, but really the whole Lithuanian squad looked like they had no idea how to rotate.

He had more trouble playing against some other dude from Croatia, who looked like he should be around 40 years old. He didn't get scored on, but he also didn't really score a lot either.

He also kinda lost his temper when his teammate for whatever reason didn't give Jonas the ball in the post, which has been happening a lot in these friendly games, so he just straight up turned his back to the court, which was pretty odd and not a typical thing you see from Jonas. During the next play he was on the receiving end of a bad pass and when his opponent started running, he stopped him with a pretty hard clear path foul. It looked like he wanted to throw his opponent to the ground.

Overall a pretty good game, great first half. Had 16 points on efficient shooting, I think he missed 2 shots and 1 FT.

Thanks for the recap!
3gbrrrfkyt
Sixth Man
And1: 144

Post#1074 » by 3gbrrrfkyt » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:14 pm

and there goes all our chances at a medal without Kalnietis. God damn it
Thespianoid
RealGM
And1: 78,794

Post#1075 » by Thespianoid » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:08 pm

hound101 wrote:
Thespianoid wrote:
1hit1team wrote:well u need to stop smoke this pot.. i even dont try to explain you if u still cant undestand.. have a nice day

Teh cannabis makes me (Please Use More Appropriate Word). Surely I'm not the only one who turns into a dumb dumb after loading a fat one.

Probably not, but I don't think it makes you stupid and such. It may sap motivation, even more so with inherently lazy individuals, but I doubt it does much to affect intelligence capacity. Unless heavily smoked before age 18 or some age around there (due to the brain still having some important development to be done).
Clementine9 wrote:Missed shots are unfortunate, but it's the trends throughout the game that matter.

Choker wrote:The swing in how Raptors fans have supported and turned on Powell is a good case study of human behavior.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#1076 » by Jstock12 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:42 pm

Thespianoid wrote:
BackseatBoss wrote:
Thespianoid wrote:
This happens with the Raptors way too often and he was probably expecting the Lithuanians to be better at it.

Nah, this was on another level. Lithuania had their player look straight at Jonas, with Jonas having decent post position and waited for more than 5 seconds.

That really sounds like DeMar at times. I've seen him do exactly what you say.

Pretty much sums up JV's status on the Raps. He's being looked off just as much if not more in the NBA.
RaptorHusky
Veteran
And1: 4,876

Post#1077 » by RaptorHusky » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:47 am

BackseatBoss wrote:

This was JV's first and only jumper ISO pumpfake (or with minimal try to fake) attempted during entire exhibition period!
Darknemo2000
Veteran
And1: 1,685

Post#1078 » by Darknemo2000 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:28 am

What puzzle me why he doesnt try them more often? He clearly has a range and if he would shoot with more confidence they would look much smoother and would force defenders to succumb to his pumpfakes again.
Tomazan
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,701

Post#1079 » by Tomazan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:25 am

Darknemo2000 wrote:What puzzle me why he doesnt try them more often? He clearly has a range and if he would shoot with more confidence they would look much smoother and would force defenders to succumb to his pumpfakes again.

It's a secret weapon for WC :) Just wait... :D
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#1080 » by Anatomize » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:33 am

This sums up JV's career really (both International and on the NBA level). He's always getting looked off. You see him establish great position (many times), reach out his long right arm for a pass, and then you see the Lithuanian guard holding the ball with two hands and pump faking the pass multiple times indecisively because they're scared to make the post entry pass or simply don't trust JV (not sure which one it is at times), they then swing it around the perimeter and go for a contested 3 or try to make something else happen.

More frustrating for me is when he's on the Raps, I've seen DeMar/Lowry get inside of the FT line and you see JV sneak under the basket for a wide open pass and they look him off and choose a tough shot or kick out instead. When they hit him with the pass, it's the easiest open dunk we've had all game, and he gets away with this sneaky little back door cut so often, yet goes unnoticed by his teammates far more frequently.

Return to Toronto Raptors