ImageImageImageImageImage

Tim Leiweke leaving MLSE in 2015 (Update pg 20)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Who do you blame for Tim Leiweke's departure?

Tim Leiweke
17%
Rogers/Bell dysfunction
49%
His family
27%
Bon Jovi
5%
Who cares? I'm glad to see him gone
3%

Total votes: 270

kevindurant1
Junior
And1: 162

Re: Tim Leiweke leaving MLSE in 2015 (Update pg 20) 

Post#821 » by kevindurant1 » Mon Sep 1, 2014 2:13 pm

Merit wrote:
kevindurant1 wrote:
Merit wrote:

You have ZERO clue on what you are talking about. I am a first generation immigrant. :lol:. I came here when I was twelve. If you think there is no access to rinks then I dont know to tell you.

"Not everyone can ferry their kids to and from practices with giant bags of equipment."

-What does that have to do with playing hockey?. We are talking about access. You do not need expensive gear to play hockey. Blades and sticks are cheap. Inline skates are cheap. Open parking lots and parks everywhere. There are outdoor and indoor rinks everywhere where you can learn to skate and play hockey if allowed. If you live in the cities there are public transportations.

You are exposed to hockey everytime you open your TV. You see maple leaf flags everywhere you go. Obviously exposure and access is not lacking. If anything, its overexposure. LMAO.

Basketball has easier access than hockey?. Sure. Still doesnt change the fact that easy access doesnt mean popularity. If that is the case then why do non-whites like the NFL football?. Baseball?. Why do they love boxing?. You mean all immigrants who follow boxing have boxed before?.

I can't comment on boxing other than to say I don't follow it. Maybe other immigrants experienced things differently. Maybe they had a star from their country (Pacquiao) and followed because of him? MMA/boxing have a completely different brutalistic appeal than other contact sports. Like I said, I am not saying access is the ONLY reason people like the sport, but it really does help. As a kid I begged my parents to play hockey, but they just couldn't afford it. Maybe things have changed since I was a kid and it's much better now, but I highly doubt it. Even with play it again sports they couldn't manage and I remember getting heckled to bits because I didn't have the "right" equipment for some of the other sports I took part in. I specifically remember getting picked last to play street hockey because I didn't have an easton stick with enough hockey tape back in the day. No chance I was playing roller hockey - $150 for a pair of blades and I'd have to change them every time I grew. $150 is an entire season of soccer, including rudimentary coaching. Seriously, I don't know how you can possibly think hockey is accessible. Never mind that my parents had no experience with ice hockey and were intensely focused on my academic success.

I will say that it's pretty easy to play football via high-school teams and that it attracts its own demographic. If you're a good high school player (disproportionately bigger/more athletic at your age) you would be asked to join leagues when high school was out. I remember some of the bigger schools had better equipment - further extending the divide. My school didn't have a football team. Further, I don't know many people who play "pickup football", but even if we're talking flag football/touch football it requires less setup/gear/learning curve than hockey. Football has a different kind of currency and exposure in the USA and that is starting to trickle up here. My kids will never play this sport either for the same reason: the threat of head injury. I will also say that there are a ton of people of colour playing NFL and CFL football. That is simply not the case in hockey.

If you're remotely athletic (I was) you're going to want to excel in your chosen sport. Hockey was not a sport I could afford. Period. Due in part to that, I'm a passionate basketball fan and a far less passionate hockey fan. I cannot presume to speak for all other immigrants, but I do know a fair number for whom this was also the case. Plus basketball is just cooler and from my experience - much more accepting. Check out a basketball court the next time you can. Even just a pickup game. Check the demographics/incomes. Compare them to a pickup hockey game somewhere with "blades and a stick". Check the demographics/incomes. I bet it's night and day in terms of diversity.

Playing football requires less learning curve than hockey?. LOL.

Dude, basketball is my favourite sport. I know its demographics. I actually hate hockey and I played it. I dont understand whats the connection between that and what we are talking about.

At the end of the day, there is not a solid argument that backs up what the other posters are saying. I have made multiple examples using different sports.

Think about it like this. If what they are saying is true then shouldnt white people in Canada like basketball more than hockey because it the easiest to access?. :lol:
EnterpriseSol
Junior
And1: 656

Post#822 » by EnterpriseSol » Mon Sep 1, 2014 4:28 pm

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:If you don' like it, vote with your dollars.

Cancel your Bell/Rogers accounts and/or season seats.

This is the only way a corperate board will get the message.

Most of the season-ticket holders (The Bay Street crowd) are there because they don't want to back to the suburbs, so they'll perpetually renew their season seats.
But yeah, Defoe and Bradley on the out are the first two dominoes to fall.
Masai is probably next, depending on what type of CEO he has to report to.
chargerxthirty
Sixth Man
And1: 794

Post#823 » by chargerxthirty » Mon Sep 1, 2014 6:49 pm

wow.... just read the story about Nelsen & Bez...

This Tim Leiweke thing is causing **** mountainous waves... It's so crystal clear to everyone that Rogers & Bell are primarily to blame for all of this.... and the board in general for that matter.

We as fans are excited about the Raptors + GM, TFC this year, the Jays even (though unrelated) ... and it costs money to be good.

Leiweke thing become public and all of a sudden TFC is in pieces... disconnects all over the place. I am beyond pissed off that the **** Media Giants are RUINING Toronto sports. We really need to figure out how to solve this as fans because I'm **** pissed.
overdose
Analyst
And1: 1,506

Post#824 » by overdose » Mon Sep 1, 2014 6:57 pm

chargerxthirty wrote:wow.... just read the story about Nelsen & Bez...

This Tim Leiweke thing is causing **** mountainous waves... It's so crystal clear to everyone that Rogers & Bell are primarily to blame for all of this... and the board in general for that matter.

We as fans are excited about the Raptors + GM, TFC this year, the Jays even (though unrelated) ... and it costs money to be good.

Leiweke thing become public and all of a sudden TFC is in pieces... disconnects all over the place. I am beyond pissed off that the **** Media Giants are RUINING Toronto sports. We really need to figure out how to solve this as fans because I'm **** pissed.

:lol: Where do you get that from?

Nelsen called out the GM, he had no choice but to let him go. Defoe was never a long term play he was more of a marketing ploy.

Defoe was probably leveraging the playing time he would get in MLS and TFC to get onto England's World cup team. It didn't work so he now wants out.

Nothing to do with MLSE...people need to stop reaching for a story and pulling **** out of their asses to fit your preferred narrative.
chargerxthirty
Sixth Man
And1: 794

Post#825 » by chargerxthirty » Mon Sep 1, 2014 8:19 pm

overdose wrote:

This Tim Leiweke thing is causing **** mountainous waves... It's so crystal clear to everyone that Rogers & Bell are primarily to blame for all of this... and the board in general for that matter.

Nelsen called out the GM, he had no choice but to let him go. Defoe was never a long term play he was more of a marketing ploy.

Defoe was probably leveraging the playing time he would get in MLS and TFC to get onto England's World cup team. It didn't work so he now wants out.

Nothing to do with MLSE...people need to stop reaching for a story and pulling **** out of their asses to fit your preferred narrative.

Whatever you say buddy. I'm pulling nothing out of my ass. Please don't even talk about "The narrative."

The narrative is **** decided by Rogers and Bell because they own all the media platforms in this country and say whatever they want to.

It's pretty obvious that all these tensions are running high because the the Leiweke situation. It's very clear. Your opinion might differ but TL is involved with all of the characters involved in different ways and MLSE has Leiweke going out the door because they're a bunch of big cheap babies. I'll think however I wish to think. Keep apologizing for these media giants who are ruining our professional franchises. We had the best CEO in sports and they pushed him out. Period.
overdose
Analyst
And1: 1,506

Post#826 » by overdose » Mon Sep 1, 2014 8:44 pm

chargerxthirty wrote:
overdose wrote:

Whatever you say buddy. I'm pulling nothing out of my ass. Please don't even talk about "The narrative."

The narrative is **** decided by Rogers and Bell because they own all the media platforms in this country and say whatever they want to.

It's pretty obvious that all these tensions are running high because the the Leiweke situation. It's very clear. Your opinion might differ but TL is involved with all of the characters involved in different ways and MLSE has Leiweke going out the door because they're a bunch of big cheap babies. I'll think however I wish to think. Keep apologizing for these media giants who are ruining our professional franchises. We had the best CEO in sports and they pushed him out. Period.

Again you show that your just making **** up :lol:

If anything TL is the one who wanted MLSE to contract out the food vending to a cheaper vendor he used when at AEG but they declined.

I think Lieweke was/is the best man for the job but he clearly was never going to be here long term no matter how good/bad MLSE were as ownership. Period.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,892

Post#827 » by Merit » Tue Sep 2, 2014 3:35 pm

kevindurant1 wrote:
Merit wrote:
kevindurant1 wrote:

You have ZERO clue on what you are talking about. I am a first generation immigrant. :lol:. I came here when I was twelve. If you think there is no access to rinks then I dont know to tell you.

"Not everyone can ferry their kids to and from practices with giant bags of equipment."

-What does that have to do with playing hockey?. We are talking about access. You do not need expensive gear to play hockey. Blades and sticks are cheap. Inline skates are cheap. Open parking lots and parks everywhere. There are outdoor and indoor rinks everywhere where you can learn to skate and play hockey if allowed. If you live in the cities there are public transportations.

You are exposed to hockey everytime you open your TV. You see maple leaf flags everywhere you go. Obviously exposure and access is not lacking. If anything, its overexposure. LMAO.

Basketball has easier access than hockey?. Sure. Still doesnt change the fact that easy access doesnt mean popularity. If that is the case then why do non-whites like the NFL football?. Baseball?. Why do they love boxing?. You mean all immigrants who follow boxing have boxed before?.

I can't comment on boxing other than to say I don't follow it. Maybe other immigrants experienced things differently. Maybe they had a star from their country (Pacquiao) and followed because of him? MMA/boxing have a completely different brutalistic appeal than other contact sports. Like I said, I am not saying access is the ONLY reason people like the sport, but it really does help. As a kid I begged my parents to play hockey, but they just couldn't afford it. Maybe things have changed since I was a kid and it's much better now, but I highly doubt it. Even with play it again sports they couldn't manage and I remember getting heckled to bits because I didn't have the "right" equipment for some of the other sports I took part in. I specifically remember getting picked last to play street hockey because I didn't have an easton stick with enough hockey tape back in the day. No chance I was playing roller hockey - $150 for a pair of blades and I'd have to change them every time I grew. $150 is an entire season of soccer, including rudimentary coaching. Seriously, I don't know how you can possibly think hockey is accessible. Never mind that my parents had no experience with ice hockey and were intensely focused on my academic success.

I will say that it's pretty easy to play football via high-school teams and that it attracts its own demographic. If you're a good high school player (disproportionately bigger/more athletic at your age) you would be asked to join leagues when high school was out. I remember some of the bigger schools had better equipment - further extending the divide. My school didn't have a football team. Further, I don't know many people who play "pickup football", but even if we're talking flag football/touch football it requires less setup/gear/learning curve than hockey. Football has a different kind of currency and exposure in the USA and that is starting to trickle up here. My kids will never play this sport either for the same reason: the threat of head injury. I will also say that there are a ton of people of colour playing NFL and CFL football. That is simply not the case in hockey.

If you're remotely athletic (I was) you're going to want to excel in your chosen sport. Hockey was not a sport I could afford. Period. Due in part to that, I'm a passionate basketball fan and a far less passionate hockey fan. I cannot presume to speak for all other immigrants, but I do know a fair number for whom this was also the case. Plus basketball is just cooler and from my experience - much more accepting. Check out a basketball court the next time you can. Even just a pickup game. Check the demographics/incomes. Compare them to a pickup hockey game somewhere with "blades and a stick". Check the demographics/incomes. I bet it's night and day in terms of diversity.

Dude, basketball is my favourite sport. I know its demographics. I actually hate hockey and I played it. I dont understand whats the connection between that and what we are talking about.

At the end of the day, there is not a solid argument that backs up what the other posters are saying. I have made multiple examples using different sports.

Think about it like this. If what they are saying is true then shouldnt white people in Canada like basketball more than hockey because it the easiest to access?. :lol:

Yes, playing football requires less learning curve than hockey. People are not born skating. They are however, born being able to run. Anyone can play tag football. All you need is a ball. To play hockey you need sticks and a ball. At the bare bones level, hockey will always be more expensive to play than football.

What are you talking about with white people in Canada liking basketball more than hockey because it's easiest to access. People can like what they like. I have said numerous times that access isn't the only determinant, but it is one that helps. If people see people that look like them doing something, they believe they can do it too. Historically, hockey was the sport that rose to prominence. I suspect that was largely due to the weather.

I am saying that historically, hockey has enjoyed a disproportionate amount of coverage and continues to do so. The demographic watching hockey is largely white, and largely affluent. As such, they are catered to by the media and that media pressure in turn encourages us to uphold the idea that hockey and Canada are inseparable concepts. Immigrants coming to the country didn't have that same upbringing and brought their ideas with them. They also were less likely to be affluent and therefore put their kids into something they could access more easily READ: WAS CHEAPER TO PLAY AND PARTICIPATE IN. I am not sure why that is a hard concept to understand. At this point I'm just going to have to agree to disagree.
I believe in Masai.
kevindurant1
Junior
And1: 162

Post#828 » by kevindurant1 » Tue Sep 2, 2014 4:38 pm

Merit wrote:
kevindurant1 wrote:
Merit wrote:

Yes, playing football requires less learning curve than hockey. People are not born skating. They are however, born being able to run. Anyone can play tag football. All you need is a ball. To play hockey you need sticks and a ball. At the bare bones level, hockey will always be more expensive to play than football.

What are you talking about with white people in Canada liking basketball more than hockey because it's easiest to access. People can like what they like. I have said numerous times that access isn't the only determinant, but it is one that helps. If people see people that look like them doing something, they believe they can do it too. Historically, hockey was the sport that rose to prominence. I suspect that was largely due to the weather.

I am saying that historically, hockey has enjoyed a disproportionate amount of coverage and continues to do so. The demographic watching hockey is largely white, and largely affluent. As such, they are catered to by the media and that media pressure in turn encourages us to uphold the idea that hockey and Canada are inseparable concepts. Immigrants coming to the country didn't have that same upbringing and brought their ideas with them. They also were less likely to be affluent and therefore put their kids into something they could access more easily READ: WAS CHEAPER TO PLAY AND PARTICIPATE IN. I am not sure why that is a hard concept to understand. At this point I'm just going to have to agree to disagree.

You obviously didnt read the post that I was responding to. :lol:

"Yes, playing football requires less learning curve than hockey. People are not born skating. They are however, born being able to run. Anyone can play tag football. All you need is a ball. "

-Why tag football?. LOL. Why not include tackling and defensive/offensive plays?. If you are going to use a complete example for hockey why arent you doing the same with football?. You know you can play hockey without skates right?. It is the concept we are talking about. That argument that we are born to run therefore it has an easier learning curve is outrageous. LMAO. What you and me are arguing is about UNDERSTANDING the way the sport is played not how you are playing it. You are turning this into something else because you didnt read the other posts. LOL.

I am arguing the point that ACCESS DOESNT MEAN POPULARITY.

"The demographic watching hockey is largely white, and largely affluent. As such, they are catered to by the media and that media pressure in turn encourages us to uphold the idea that hockey and Canada are inseparable concepts."

-LOL ok so white people like hockey more because it is marketed towards them?. I thought access > exposure?. What happened to that argument?. Unless you are saying that only reflects to non whites?. If that is the case, how do you explain white people loving basketball more than hockey?. Oh because they have easier access to that sport than hockey?.

Read my posts above because some of your points I already addressed.

Return to Toronto Raptors