ImageImageImageImageImage

DeRozan & 2009 Draft

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,316

Re: DeRozan & 2009 Draft 

Post#41 » by ForeverTFC » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:36 pm

Flight33 wrote:
cammac wrote:BC did a very good job in the drafts.
DeMar
Jonas think reality says Jonas best in his draft Leonard close second and Irving distant 3rd.
Ross is very good maybe 4th or at worst 5th best in his draft. mind you a big jump from top 3 Davis, Lillard & Drummond

Bargnani.

The top 5 in that year was:

Bargnani
Aldridge
Morrison
Thomas
Williams

Only 2 of those players are still in the league. Aldridge plays the same position as our franchise player at that time.

And let's not forget that Colangelo said that he beleives Brandon Roy would win the ROY, but didn't think he could last.

Picking Bargnani was not a mistake. It was his refusal to cut his losses.
UnderdogRaptors
RealGM
And1: 44,305

Post#42 » by UnderdogRaptors » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:38 pm

1.) Derozan
2.) Griffin
3.) Curry
4.) Harden
5.) Lawson
BC_IS_A_PLAYA wrote:jonas sucks, his dad should have got a vasectomy
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,067

Post#43 » by YogurtProducer » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:27 pm

Blast Tyrant wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
cammac wrote:
What has Irving ever done?
Yes got all stars by idiot fans has he ever made his team better?

What has JV or Leonard done to surpass Irving?

Definetely thought Meyers Leonars hahahaha
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,916

Post#44 » by JN » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:42 am

Kenyon009 wrote:I think DeRozan has the health, skill, and dedication to become the best player in that draft in another 5 years. Griffin has been living off virtually the same skills since he's been drafted. Curry is limited defensively due to his size and has capped out on his potential.

Griffin has improved his ball handling and passing a lot.
G.A. Clone
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,062

Post#45 » by G.A. Clone » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:45 am

jimmy keys wrote:Should have traded Bosh for that Wizards pick that summer. Could of had Curry/DeRozan backcourt for the future.

If we had the 5th pick, I think we would've went with Rubio.
EJaggit
Starter
And1: 2,328

Post#46 » by EJaggit » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:34 am

Harden will soon be below derozan.... Griffin relies on sheer athleticism which he is working on his skill. Curry... OK derozan isn't touching him there. But I see DeRozan surpassing Harden and Curry. Lol who's stopping him Tyreke Evans? Brandon Jennings? Lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using RealGM Forums mobile app
godkingleonidas
Banned User
And1: 2,215

Post#47 » by godkingleonidas » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:31 am

Jstock12 wrote:Looking at it now, the Raps got a steal in that draft. DeRozan is probably the 4th best player in that draft, only after:

Best player alive (Harden)
Best dunker alive (Griffin)
Best shooter alive (Curry)

Really happy we have him.

How would you rank the top 5 players of that draft? :lol:

Griffin is a better professional basketball player but, he's not a better dunker than Justin Darlington. I'm not sure he's even the best NBA dunker alive. I think that title still belongs to Vince Carter

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GGL8uDytH8[/youtube]
KingSebastian
Rookie
And1: 1,219

Post#48 » by KingSebastian » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:47 am

Do people really believe Griffin hasn't improved his game and get 20ppg off Dunks?
Watch a clippers game before yall spew garbage on this board.
I'm not even a Griffin fan, but it's obvious he has expanded his offensive arsenal over the years. The man is a basketball player, not a dunker. Dunking is just part of his game.

Sent from my SGH-T889V using RealGM Forums mobile app
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#49 » by Kabookalu » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:09 am

416 wrote:I would reconsider that man. Check this out to see what the general consensus about DD's contract was like :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1210780

Jimmy King wrote:I'm thinking of becoming a Jazz fan. Or Kings fan.

Weems wrote:My head hurts. Upon reading this I literally got a headache and it feels like steam is pouring out my nose and ears. I also feel a flutter in my heart.

You're killing me, Toronto.

Randle McMurphy wrote:You're right. He's actually a worse basketball player than Hedo.

Coconut wrote:His ceiling is Sonny Weems.

truthrising wrote:and as I mentioned before there were always posters here on RealGM that was defending him religiously and than there were other posters who were afraid to critique him due to backlash coming from the Derozan supporters I'm telling you that most ppl here on RealGM were sheeples into thinking that DeRozan would some day become an all-star of some sort.

So glad most of these losers don't post as much anymore. They sucked the energy out of this place with their pessimism. I used to avoid RealGM at one point just because posters had this incessant need to bring everyone else around them down too.
Read on Twitter
cammac
General Manager
And1: 6,216

Post#50 » by cammac » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:53 am

Choker wrote:
416 wrote:I would reconsider that man. Check this out to see what the general consensus about DD's contract was like :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1210780

Jimmy King wrote:I'm thinking of becoming a Jazz fan. Or Kings fan.

Weems wrote:My head hurts. Upon reading this I literally got a headache and it feels like steam is pouring out my nose and ears. I also feel a flutter in my heart.

You're killing me, Toronto.

Randle McMurphy wrote:You're right. He's actually a worse basketball player than Hedo.

Coconut wrote:His ceiling is Sonny Weems.

truthrising wrote:and as I mentioned before there were always posters here on RealGM that was defending him religiously and than there were other posters who were afraid to critique him due to backlash coming from the Derozan supporters I'm telling you that most ppl here on RealGM were sheeples into thinking that DeRozan would some day become an all-star of some sort.

So glad most of these losers don't post as much anymore. They sucked the energy out of this place with their pessimism. I used to avoid RealGM at one point just because posters had this incessant need to bring everyone else around them down too.

They all went on to be ESPN analysts where DeMar isn't a top 15 SG. :lol: :banghead:
Blast Tyrant
Banned User
And1: 3,059

Post#51 » by Blast Tyrant » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:10 pm

KingSebastian wrote:Do people really believe Griffin hasn't improved his game and get 20ppg off Dunks?
I'm not even a Griffin fan, but it's obvious he has expanded his offensive arsenal over the years. The man is a basketball player, not a dunker. Dunking is just part of his game.

I was just going to say the same thing. He was hands down the best player on the Clippers this past season. If I recall correctly, he was also third in MVP voting.

He's a complete monster. His post game (albeit somewhat funky) is becoming quite effective. His midrange game is coming along nicely. He obviously can face you up and blow by you. He's pretty much unstoppable in pick and roll. As others have mentioned; his passing is top notch. This idea that all he does is dunk over Kia's is so 2010. Get with it kids. Watch a basketball game at some point this year.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#52 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:22 pm

The beauty of keeping yourself sedated is never flying off the deep end and having to regret previous statements of hyperbole.

EastCoast Wrote:

A bit high, but he's still a young improving player with a good work ethic, so I'm okay with it.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#53 » by timdunkit » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:23 pm

Blast Tyrant wrote:
KingSebastian wrote:Do people really believe Griffin hasn't improved his game and get 20ppg off Dunks?

I was just going to say the same thing. He was hands down the best player on the Clippers this past season. If I recall correctly, he was also third in MVP voting.

He's a complete monster. His post game (albeit somewhat funky) is becoming quite effective. His midrange game is coming along nicely. He obviously can face you up and blow by you. He's pretty much unstoppable in pick and roll. As others have mentioned; his passing is top notch. This idea that all he does is dunk over Kia's is so 2010. Get with it kids. Watch a basketball game at some point this year.

Was going to say the samething myself. Griffen is very skilled and has such a good all-around game. His numbers when Chris Paul was hurt were absolutely amazing.

http://hoopshype.com/columns/david-nurs ... better-now
Ari_Emanuel
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,835

Post#54 » by Ari_Emanuel » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:23 pm

ForeverTFC wrote:
Flight33 wrote:
DeMar
Jonas think reality says Jonas best in his draft Leonard close second and Irving distant 3rd.
Ross is very good maybe 4th or at worst 5th best in his draft. mind you a big jump from top 3 Davis, Lillard & Drummond

Bargnani.

The top 5 in that year was:

Bargnani
Aldridge
Morrison
Thomas
Williams

Only 2 of those players are still in the league. Aldridge plays the same position as our franchise player at that time.

And let's not forget that Colangelo said that he beleives Brandon Roy would win the ROY, but didn't think he could last.

Picking Bargnani was not a mistake. It was his refusal to cut his losses.

Will be interesting to see what happens with the Knicks 2016 pick. If both Denver and NY finish out of the playoffs wecould be looking at a lotto pick. Grabbing a high upside young player while we are still contending would be a hilarious ending to the Bargnani saga. :lol:
neurotik wrote:
Raps Maniac wrote:
Risk101 wrote:Inb4 the ass jokes.

But that's his downside.

No thats his backside.

Lowry's upside is mental and psychological.
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#55 » by jimmy keys » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:36 pm

G.A. Clone wrote:
jimmy keys wrote:Should have traded Bosh for that Wizards pick that summer. Could of had Curry/DeRozan backcourt for the future.

If we had the 5th pick, I think we would've went with Rubio.

Yeah you're probably right. Rubio was so hyped and Colangelo euro obsession, it seems about right. I was praying Curry would fall to 9, but there was little chance he'd get past New York at 8 even if G-State passed on him.

In any case would have loved a second lotto pick that year. Bosh was so obviously out the door, why else would he have signed a 3 year extension. It's frustrating to look back on that scenario. Trade Bosh and we would have had a mid lotto pick the next season too.

Curry/Rubio - DeRozan - George > > > > Nobody - DeRozan - Ed Davis
chuckerz
Bench Warmer
And1: 161

Post#56 » by chuckerz » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:59 pm

Funny how David Kahn drafted two point guard back to back. Johnny Flynn isn't even in the league anymore. If he really wanted a point guard, he should have drafted Steph Curry or even Brandon Jennings.
Rebel INS
Sixth Man
And1: 736

Post#57 » by Rebel INS » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:47 pm

Choker wrote:

Most people have a innate desire to be special and extraordinary, whether that be extraordinarily accomplished, or well-liked or good looking or what have you. Some people on this board have funneled that desire into a need to be acknowledged as extraordinarily knowledgeable about professional basketball.

Taken too far, this results in the smug and condescending sort of prognostication you get in the above quote. It's not just about being right, but about other people being wrong. Where other people are "sheep", posters like this aspire to be acknowledged as extraordinarily objective and prescient. This means making bold and absolute statements of opinion, and refusing to ever reevaluate or reconsider these opinions if only because that might suggest that their knowledge and expertise isn't as extraordinary as they'd like to believe....that maybe they're just another guy sitting at home, watching basketball like the rest of us.

When being basketball fans turns into an exercise in always being right (and proving "sheeple" wrong), this place becomes completely unreadable
Steve Urkel
Analyst
And1: 2,446

Post#58 » by Steve Urkel » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:18 pm

cammac wrote:
905 to 416 wrote:
DeMar

Irving Distant third?

What has Irving ever done?
Yes got all stars by idiot fans has he ever made his team better?

I definitely think he's overrated, but on the other hand he did play on a team that started Alonzo Gee 137 games over the past 3 seasons (including EVERY game in the 2012-2013 season).

List of SG's/SF's he has played with over his time with the Cavs:
36 yr old Anthony Parker
Omri Casspi
Christian Eyenga
Manny Harris
D.J. Kennedy
Mychel Thompson
Wayne Ellington
C.J. Miles
Luke Walton
Dion Waiters
Earl Clark (For 4.5 mil/yr :lol: )
Carrick Felix
Anthony Bennett
Sergey Karasev
Matthew Dellavedova

And a Deng rental

That's a terrible group of players! I'm going to say that it's the worst SG/SF group of players over the past 3 seasons among all NBA teams. Next season will be a test for him but I think he'll mesh well with LeBron.

At this point I'd put 1) Kawai (Finals MVP, nuff said) 2) Kyrie 3) Jonas
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,052

Post#59 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:19 pm

jimmy keys wrote:
Yeah I'm not too concerned about how a few posters on this forum reacted to his re-signing. It was expected that he would command a salary in the 9 to 10 million range. It was a good signing and handled well, but not some act of brilliance on the GM's part. If anything Amir Johnson signing was more ballsy and impressive retrospectively.

No, this signing was pretty much universally panned by us experts, and the Toronto media. Scan through the recently bumped (and promptly locked) signing thread from two years ago. For many it was the last straw in terms of our perception of BC.

The almost universal consensus in 2012 was that it would be better to wait a year and see what Demar's value as an RFA would be. Of course, the risk would be that DeMar accepted the qualifying offer in 2013 and became a UFA this summer. But the same summer BC had drafted - in another incredible leap of faith - an SG who could actually shoot the 3 and play defence. Trading DeMar for some value in 2013 or even letting him walk would not have been painful.

So was it an act of brilliance, or of blind stupidity? Same question re: drafting T-Ross over Drummond. Sometimes stupid moves turn out well, but they were still stupid moves.

Return to Toronto Raptors