ImageImageImageImageImage

How To Make Tim Leiweke Stay

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,663

Re: How To Make Tim Leiweke Stay 

Post#21 » by G R E Y » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:36 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:I'm not sure what he really did outside of fire BC. The practice facility is a nice bauble, but it's not integral to championship building. The all-star game is another "who cares." It's nice publicity for the city, but it doesn't help your franchise win games.

Dude, really? TL's done more in his very brief time here than anyone else in this position. Most importantly, Tim brought a "we win or go home, settle for nothing less" attitude, and brought in people who could implement and execute that attitude. Anyone who didn't fit that mold was swiftly let go and replaced.

He convinced Masai to come to Toronto, and MLSE to open the pocketbooks to do so. He overhauled TFC top-bottom, replacing not only upper management, but convincing recognized players to play for a then- **** team.

The AS2016 game may be unimportant to you, but it is huge for the city and team in terms of an economic boost, and exposure.

The practice facility is something Masai has been harping about, that MLSE has been hemming and hawing about, and Tim came in and got it done. It's important for the current players, and prospective ones as well.

He brought in Drake who, regardless of what people think of him personally, is a huge draw in terms of exposure and potential free agents. Think about the fact that nobody bothered to take Drake's call before TL entered the scene. I mean, these MLSE suits are so behind the times about what's current and how to brand it it's laughable. **** Tim Hortons and Primo Pasta commercials aren't cutting it.

He brought in Shanny after a season that saw yet another plunge for the Leafs.

Now with his departure, the concern is that his foundation will not have been set up as broadly and deeply as he or we had hoped. Also, the AS Game will lack his input and contacts, and most importantly, the guy knows people, and how to CONVINCE people to come, so as a free-agent lure, we lost a key cog.

These are not easily replaceable traits, and MLSE should have found a way to deal with a brash personality because TL GOT RESULTS. Now, they're falling on their own arrogant swords.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
wtcantfw
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,578

Post#22 » by wtcantfw » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:41 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:I'm not sure what he really did outside of fire BC. The practice facility is a nice bauble, but it's not integral to championship building. The all-star game is another "who cares." It's nice publicity for the city, but it doesn't help your franchise win games.

Some would call it "direction".
KAMALA
Senior
And1: 16

Post#23 » by KAMALA » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:50 pm

Who cares if and when he leaves .. I'd much rather have another Center who can play :)
genius-
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,173

Post#24 » by genius- » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:44 pm

someone here needs to take one for the team and sleep with TL, i'm sure that'll get him to stay.

i nominate the OP.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,871

Post#25 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:03 am

genius- wrote:someone here needs to take one for the team and sleep with TL, i'm sure that'll get him to stay.

i nominate the OP.

If that's what it took... no homo, i'd do it.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,888

Post#26 » by OAKLEY_2 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:39 am

It amazes that the same group of shadowy figures who hired American TL to shake things up fired American Brian Burke. Another no nonsense boaster who for the most part did some good things with the hockey team. The difference is TL can turn on the motivational talk and carry a room whereas Burkie would act like he didn't respect certain opinions and would get snarly. Going to Nonis looked like a Peddie desperation move but TL going out and paying top dollar for Ujiri was impressive. Burke always looked like he was trying to save a few bucks and not get out hustled. TL would spend if spending was part of the plan. The culture that TL comes from seems on the surface to be more results driven whereas MLSE resembles a crown corporation where there are egos to stroke and much consensus building required. Not saying Crown Corporations don't work but there are none of them in America where Liewicke comes from.

We should be able to get a great replacement but it shouldn't be out of the TO old boys network. The guy running Golden State sounds like a good candidate. Whoever it is they better have MUs back.
barrist
RealGM
And1: 716

Post#27 » by barrist » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:44 am

SwiftyV wrote:
daswunderboy wrote:Not gonna do anything because it will have 0 impact, and i really don't care. I care about our GM, our coach, and our players. The president? Eh, whatever.

Good franchises are built from the very top down. Need good executives with vision.

the vision to quit after one season? lol
Meursault
Starter
And1: 1,037

Post#28 » by Meursault » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:16 am

1. create a facebook group. force invite all 536 friends from your friends list to the group.
2. convince Tim to stay with the solidarity your 537-member strong movement
3. ???
4. Profit.

Return to Toronto Raptors