ImageImageImageImageImage

Why the Raptors Were Healthy Last Season

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,541

Why the Raptors Were Healthy Last Season 

Post#1 » by DG88 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:53 am

I stumbled upon this article about prevent sports injuries by anticipating them through analytics. It's now one of the fast growing areas in sports science because of how much it costs teams when players are out because of injuries.

In sports, injuries don’t just cost wins. They cost money. By one estimate, teams across Major League Baseball spent $665 million last year on the salaries of banged-up guys and their replacements. NBA teams lost $358 million last season; $44 million alone by the injury-ridden Los Angeles Lakers. And in the NFL, where the average salary is about $2 million, starters missed a record 1,600 games in 2013.

Until recently, this was largely seen as the cost of doing business, subject as much to the will of the sports-injury gods as advancements in training. Now, the fast-growing industry of performance analytics says it can minimize those massive losses. The trick: using data to anticipate how an athlete will get hurt before it actually happens.

“We really think [injuries] are the largest market inefficiency in pro sports,” says Adam Hewitt, assistant GM of Peak Performance Project (P3) in Santa Barbara, CA, one of the country’s leading centers of sports science and performance analytics.

Other NBA teams who are doing this are the San Antonio Spurs (figures) and the Oklahoma City Thunder. Here's how Alex McKechnie utilizes technology in keeping our players relatively injury free last season.

Teams are generally tight-lipped on how they utilize data collection tools for fear of giving away competitive advantage, but a few are more open. The Toronto Raptors is one of them. During practices last season, players on the Toronto Raptors wore a cell phone-sized unit called an OptimEye, created by the Melbourne, Australia-based company Catapult. OptimEye’s gyroscope and accelerometer provides reams of data about how players actually move--accelerations, decelerations, elevations, jumping ranges, and so on--and at what intensity.

“We have an opportunity to take these players and be totally proactive,” says the team’s director of sports science, Alex McKechnie. The data, he says, allows Toronto to tailor programs specifically to each player’s unique physiology, correcting injury-inducing problems like imbalances between each side of the body. A player, for example, could be favoring one leg over the other when jumping, due perhaps to an old injury that never properly healed or muscular weakness never addressed. OptimEye can measure the difference, undetectable to the naked eye, helping trainers diffuse a time bomb before it blows.

The data changed how Toronto practiced as well, by revealing misconceptions of how certain activities impact the body. Ubiquitous shooting drills, for example, turned out to be troublesome.

“A guy jacking up shot after shot after shot--once you start to look at the jump patterns and the loads, we find that most of that workout is at the medium intensity level because of the deceleration patterns from the jumping,” McKechnie says. Translation: What was supposed to be a low-stress workout turned out to have an unnecessarily heavy impact. So the team adjusted.

It’s still early days--Catapult was only integrated fully into Toronto’s program last season--but the results are encouraging. Toronto was the NBA’s least injured team in 2013-14.

http://www.fastcompany.com/3034655/heal ... g-injuries
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,082

Re: Why the Raptors Were Healthy Last Season 

Post#2 » by tecumseh18 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:14 am

SHUT UP, SHUT UP, JUST SHUT UP!!!!

Why can't the Raps just leave other teams wondering?

But I knew last year's relative good health was not an accident.
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#3 » by Anatomize » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:58 am

Great, now can you send this guy over to the Jays during the summer time?
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#4 » by Double Helix » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:59 am

Alex McKechnie is the best in the business.

And Tim Leiweke knows it.

And Tim Leiweke usually gets the guy he wants.

And Alex McKechnie liked LA.

You read between those lines...
PercyJames_
Junior
And1: 438

Post#5 » by PercyJames_ » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:10 pm

Double Helix wrote:Alex McKechnie is the best in the business.

Alex been with us before Tim.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Turbo_Zone
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,933

Post#6 » by ATLTimekeeper » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:15 pm

I don't mind that we're sharing our secrets re: injuries. It's the kind of innovation that betters the sport. And even still, most teams won't bother to do anything. Look at how the Suns medical staff has been at the forefront with radical therapy for years and years. Most teams haven't bothered to copy their practices.
chuckdevlin
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,187

Post#7 » by chuckdevlin » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:29 pm

Our whole FO got cleared out. Yeahhh we competent now

#StartedFromBC

------------------------------------------------
Keep getting impressed by the Raps' scouting department, medical staff and our players.
Retire Joey Graham's Number in the ACC #letsgooo #whatnumber?
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#8 » by Anatomize » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:43 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:I don't mind that we're sharing our secrets re: injuries. It's the kind of innovation that betters the sport. And even still, most teams won't bother to do anything. Look at how the Suns medical staff has been at the forefront with radical therapy for years and years. Most teams haven't bothered to copy their practices.

If only they got their hands on Grant Hill sooner, god damn you Orlando.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,276

Post#9 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:58 pm

Anatomize wrote:Great, now can you send this guy over to the Jays during the summer time?

It amazes me how many injuries baseball players sustain while performing mundane physical activities, like jogging to first base.
Chuck Newhouse
Banned User
And1: 980

Post#10 » by Chuck Newhouse » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:10 pm

I'm not sure I believe this work as well as people think. I need to see a bigger sample size. I think most injury is luck based. Landing on someones ankle seems to be about half the injuries in the league.
pbj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,757

Post#11 » by pbj » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:17 pm

I recall reading an article last season about how they discovered Ross was pushing harder off one leg than the other with technology like this, and the over-compensating was going to lead to some issues, but McKechnie corrected it.. Couldn't find it again though.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#12 » by dagger » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:25 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:I don't mind that we're sharing our secrets re: injuries. It's the kind of innovation that betters the sport. And even still, most teams won't bother to do anything. Look at how the Suns medical staff has been at the forefront with radical therapy for years and years. Most teams haven't bothered to copy their practices.

Ultimately, it's not the data collection hardware and software that counts, it's how you arrange the data and interpret it. The companies making the hardware are going to teams in every sport, selling them on the concept, so while we were an early adopting, it's unlikely the technology stays "secret" for long.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#13 » by dagger » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:27 pm

Double Helix wrote:Alex McKechnie is the best in the business.

Colangelo hired McKechnie.

McKechnie has deeper roots in Vancouver, where his sports science center is located

McKechnie is a big winner with the new Raptors training facility - he's going to be able to replicate his Vancouver sports science center here in Toronto.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#14 » by IMAN5 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:44 pm

I remember this being discussed already. That move TL made by bringing in these trainers and such was key to our health.
instagram.com/510movement
sweetcity
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,289

Post#15 » by sweetcity » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:44 pm

Give McKechnie what he wants!
cammac
General Manager
And1: 6,216

Post#16 » by cammac » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:47 pm

Yes find it funny almost everyone puts Toronto down because they were virtually injury free last year except at PF. A team like Chicago definitely big market with a huge injury history invests nothing with Rose, Noah and Deng (when a Bull always gong down with injury)

Alex is definitely the 6th man on the team.
Scraptor
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,884

Post#17 » by Scraptor » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:52 pm

IMAN5 wrote:I remember this being discussed already. That move TL made by bringing in these trainers and such was key to our health.

LOL people really love rewriting history. Mckechnie was hired more than three years ago, in July 2011, by Bryan Colangelo under the advice of Jay Triano, with whom Mckechnie has a 30-year relationship.
Bull-E
Junior
And1: 285

Post#18 » by Bull-E » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:04 pm

This article is a great find (thanks OP).

It raises an interesting point - owners are likely to use this data when doling out contracts. If the data shows a player like Amir will be likely chronically injured for the rest of his career, does that mean the raps would jump ship on an above average player? I could see this leading to a lot of decisions that to the naked eye are head scratching.
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#19 » by IMAN5 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:08 pm

Scraptor wrote:
IMAN5 wrote:I remember this being discussed already. That move TL made by bringing in these trainers and such was key to our health.

LOL people really love rewriting history. Mckechnie was hired more than three years ago, in July 2011, by Bryan Colangelo under the advice of Jay Triano, with whom Mckechnie has a 30-year relationship.

LOL TRUE THAT GUESS THE ARTICLE I READ WAS REWRITING HISTORY OOPS LOL
instagram.com/510movement
team edward
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,981

Post#20 » by team edward » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:46 pm

I just hope all this focus on injury prevention and highly scientific training methods doesn't detract from the Raptors' number one fitness goal - bulking up.

Return to Toronto Raptors