ImageImageImageImageImage

OT:#1 ranked prospect Thon Maker to play in canada next year

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Rapsfan151
Pro Prospect
And1: 643

Re: OT:#1 ranked prospect Thon Maker to play in canada next 

Post#141 » by Rapsfan151 » Tue Sep 9, 2014 6:14 pm

JN wrote:
DrCoach wrote:
The NBL has far more back to backs and sometimes even play 3 games in 3 night. NCAA's games are far more spread out. The school work component is way overblown. Big time players can take joke classes and easily get good grades.

I respectfully disagree that you can call the NBL's facilities better than that of the big 12 or ACC. Maybe AI's can be in the same neighbourhood as the top 25 teams but every other team's is 3rd class.

You are going off old information, the Owners all voted to change the schedule

And again, playing back to backs would help his development, not stunt it.

The facilities were enough to have him choose A.I over any other place in the world

Dr. Coach - (working on the assumption that Thon is considering the NBL after his season at AI)

Would Thon still have access to A.I while playing his season in the NBL. How would that work if he is playing for a team that is 2-4 hours away? He would still have to practice with his NBL team, travel to games. How would he be able to work out at the AI facility where it is not a pain in the ass?

I think it's great for his prep year, and its a very good testament to the school that he is choosing them. I am just having a hard time viewing how this will practically work out when he plays in the NBL. I guess from a Facility point of view, just can't see how this is better than a major US program.

While it's true that he chose AI over all other options he had available to him THIS YEAR (and that is something for AI to be very proud of), its not fair to say he chose them over an NCAA blue blood / top program. It's not like he had a choice of going to a blue blood facility to work out this year -- that is not permitted under NCAA guidelines and would constitute a severe recruiting violation,

I think the Brampton team practices at AI as Orangeville is about a 45 min drive away from Brampton give or take. In the winter I am sure the drive is a bit worse but the players really only need to go to Brampton for games.

I agree about the college programs having better facilities than AI. Take a look at Oregon's facilities and they are far and away better than any professional teams.
Dr Comeback
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#142 » by Dr Comeback » Tue Sep 9, 2014 9:36 pm

Rapsfan151 wrote:
JN wrote:
DrCoach wrote:

The facilities were enough to have him choose A.I over any other place in the world

Dr. Coach - (working on the assumption that Thon is considering the NBL after his season at AI)

Would Thon still have access to A.I while playing his season in the NBL. How would that work if he is playing for a team that is 2-4 hours away? He would still have to practice with his NBL team, travel to games. How would he be able to work out at the AI facility where it is not a pain in the ass?

I think it's great for his prep year, and its a very good testament to the school that he is choosing them. I am just having a hard time viewing how this will practically work out when he plays in the NBL. I guess from a Facility point of view, just can't see how this is better than a major US program.

While it's true that he chose AI over all other options he had available to him THIS YEAR (and that is something for AI to be very proud of), its not fair to say he chose them over an NCAA blue blood / top program. It's not like he had a choice of going to a blue blood facility to work out this year -- that is not permitted under NCAA guidelines and would constitute a severe recruiting violation,

I think the Brampton team practices at AI as Orangeville is about a 45 min drive away from Brampton give or take. In the winter I am sure the drive is a bit worse but the players really only need to go to Brampton for games.

I agree about the college programs having better facilities than AI. Take a look at Oregon's facilities and they are far and away better than any professional teams.

This is true and hilarious, I mean the onyl reason they spend so damn much on facilities is because they artificially barred from spending it on players, so to not look like they are professional sport hoarding all the money they start building lavish and ridiculous training facilities.

Just give to the kids man.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,309

Post#143 » by DrCoach » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:41 pm

JN wrote:
DrCoach wrote:
The NBL has far more back to backs and sometimes even play 3 games in 3 night. NCAA's games are far more spread out. The school work component is way overblown. Big time players can take joke classes and easily get good grades.

I respectfully disagree that you can call the NBL's facilities better than that of the big 12 or ACC. Maybe AI's can be in the same neighbourhood as the top 25 teams but every other team's is 3rd class.

The Owner of the Brampton A's also owns the Athletes Institute which also houses the HS teams where Thon plays.

If he played for Brampton he would have access 365 days a year.

And again, I'm not going off speculation, I'm going off second hand information as to what Thon is considering TODAY, obviously he and his handlers can change their minds or have better options in the future

Don't forget his family is with him and he may not want to leave them if he chooses college
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#144 » by DrCoach » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:44 pm

JN wrote:BTW, just take the above as a critique rather than an attack.

I like the way you are trying to help develop and promote the NBL. Growing a professional minor league may be the hardest sports venture in North America (as most ultimately fail), and admire you trying to attack it in a positive manner.

It's all good man, I'm just trying to draw a line between fact and speculation from what I know or heard.

Yes, the league is succeeding and as a basketball fan having another option over the raptors is a good thing.

No reason a Country like Canada shouldn't have their own viable league like the rest of the word

I mean c'mon, Uruguay , Qatar have leagues :)
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#145 » by DrCoach » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:47 pm

I think the Brampton team practices at AI as Orangeville is about a 45 min drive away from Brampton give or take. In the winter I am sure the drive is a worse but the players really only need to go to Brampton for games.

I agree about the college programs having better facilities than AI. Take a look at Oregon's facilities and they are far and away better than

The Pro players live 5 mins from the A.I facilities.

We don't have to speculate about Oregon facilities, Richard Amardi just got signed by The Brampton A's and he played for Oregon.

A.I facilities was one of the major reasons he choose Brampton
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#146 » by frumble » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:31 pm

frumble wrote:
aminiaturebuddha wrote:
frumble wrote:
I believe that of the nine Canadians that are in the Rivals 150 for either 2015 or 2016, six are playing prep in the US this coming season, while two will be at AI (Murray (Rivals #20 in Class of 16) and Poyser (#80 in Class of 2015)), and Haley (#52 in Class of 2016) will be back at Burnaby South once the BC teachers' strike is over.

Just realized that I must be overlooking some guys on the Rivals lists, as I only count 7 - Poyser in 2015 (#83) and then Murray (#20) Jackson (33) Haley (52) Washington (56) Ekiyor (110) and Narain (145) in 2016. Who am I missing?

*edit just noticed Kobe McEwan (98) on the 2016 list (damn, that's some depth that year!), so I'm only missing one I guess

Brandon Cyrus is #103 for 2016.

The 2016 Class is our deepest ever. But, as you noted earlier, not as much top end talent as the classes early in this decade.

Scout just released its updated 2016 list.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p= ... 88&yr=2016

Seven Canadians in Scout's top 100:
Haley 26
Jackson 29
Murray 30
Washington 51
Cyrus 52
Narain 71
Tshimanga 90

Not as much love from ESPN, but still looking like a very good class.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,415

Post#147 » by aminiaturebuddha » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:22 am

frumble wrote:

Haley 26
Jackson 29
Murray 30
Washington 51
Cyrus 52
Narain 71
Tshimanga 90

Wow, Haley is really rising quickly. I've been hearing that he had a great summer, but I have to admit, I haven't really seen him play much. In your view, does he really deserve to be higher than Murray and Jackson?
Rapsfan151
Pro Prospect
And1: 643

Post#148 » by Rapsfan151 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:42 am

DrCoach wrote:
I think the Brampton team practices at AI as Orangeville is about a 45 min drive away from Brampton give or take. In the winter I am sure the drive is a worse but the players really only need to go to Brampton for games.

I agree about the college programs having better facilities than AI. Take a look at Oregon's facilities and they are far and away better than

The Pro players live 5 mins from the A.I facilities.

We don't have to speculate about Oregon facilities, Richard Amardi just got signed by The Brampton A's and he played for Oregon.

A.I facilities was one of the major reasons he choose Brampton

AI facilities is probably the best in the NBL but it wouldn't compare to the top college programs in the United States. Great respect for what they are doing and looking forward to some of their games this year.
SwiftyV
Sixth Man
And1: 1,682

Post#149 » by SwiftyV » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:50 am

GooniesNeverDie wrote:wonder why.. does this expedite the draft process for him?

There is a certain limit that international players can play/be in the US before they have to follow the NBA draft rules. From what I'm told it's somewhere around 13 months. A good example of an international player that fell to this is Ben Simmons who is going to LSU. He and his family were not aware of the 13 month rule (it's not really well documented out there it seems) and he's pretty upset that he now doesn't have the choice to just go ahead and skip to the NBA. He'll be a good one.

As far as I'm aware Thon has already been in the US for longer than the 13 month limit.

This move to Canada is all a power play by former CIA Bounce director Mike George (now an agent) as well as Thon's guardian/mentor Ed Smith. Ed wanted to be on the staff at Thon's former school Carlisle but it never came to fruition.

Missouri is going to be a player here. Coach Fuller is friends with Ed Smith and there's a heavy connection between Nike, CIA Bounce and Athletes Institute. Coach Fulford (former head coach of Huntington Prep, Wiggins' old school) is also friends with Mike George.
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#150 » by frumble » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:30 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
frumble wrote:

Haley 26
Jackson 29
Murray 30
Washington 51
Cyrus 52
Narain 71
Tshimanga 90

Wow, Haley is really rising quickly. I've been hearing that he had a great summer, but I have to admit, I haven't really seen him play much. In your view, does he really deserve to be higher than Murray and Jackson?

Sorry for the late reply, haven't been on much lately.

No, from what little I have seen of him, I don't think Haley should be ahead of Murray or Jackson. If he hadn't bailed on Canada this summer we would have more to go on. Seems to change his mind a lot re prep school, whether to play for Canada, etc. Hope he pans out, but Murray has impressed me in FIBA play, and seems more stable re his choices.
Risk101
General Manager
And1: 19,143

Post#151 » by Risk101 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:39 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lkA-KHcReQ[/youtube]

He's a man amongst boys literally.
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#152 » by will » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:45 am

Thon is gonna have a lot of THOTs throwing themselves at him.
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#153 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:35 am

Risk101 wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lkA-KHcReQ[/youtube]

He's a man amongst boys literally.

Damn, total domination
Credits to Jstock12
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,434

Post#154 » by Morse Code » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:41 am

I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally want to get excited about this kid, but I can't help but think he might have an underwhelming career either because he suffers injuries, or because he's just too thin. I know there's exceptions to that logic but he doesn't strike me as a guy who could put his full skill set to work against NBA bigs.
suntzuballin
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#155 » by suntzuballin » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:58 am

reminds me of garnet dunno why :dontknow:
jeffya2
Veteran
And1: 2,982

Post#156 » by jeffya2 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:18 am

cram wrote:Why in the world would he do this? Orangeville of all places??

He may axtually want to get an education as well as play ball
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#157 » by DrCoach » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:51 am

suntzuballin wrote:reminds me of garnet dunno why :dontknow:

That's who I think he should pattern himself after and not Kevin Durant
Young_Buc
General Manager
And1: 9,130

Post#158 » by Young_Buc » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:52 am

Any chance he suits up for Canada? If he is indeed the real deal or NT is looking like a threat to upset in 2020

Maker/Olynk
Bennett/Thompson/Nicholson
Wiggins/Jackson
Ennis/CoJo
Stauskas/Murray/Heslip
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#159 » by DrCoach » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:00 am

Young_Buc wrote:Any chance he suits up for Canada? If he is indeed the real deal or NT is looking like a threat to upset in 2020

Maker/Olynk
Wiggins/Jackson
Ennis/CoJo
Stauskas/Murray/Heslip

He isn't canadian
Young_Buc
General Manager
And1: 9,130

Post#160 » by Young_Buc » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:05 am

DrCoach wrote:
Young_Buc wrote:Any chance he suits up for Canada? If he is indeed the real deal or NT is looking like a threat to upset in 2020

Maker/Olynk
Wiggins/Jackson
Ennis/CoJo
Stauskas/Murray/Heslip

He isn't canadian

Citizenship, exemption (Blatche filipines) etc?

Return to Toronto Raptors