ImageImageImageImageImage

OH DANNY BOY... DANNY BOY

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

godkingleonidas
Banned User
And1: 2,215

Re: OH DANNY BOY... DANNY BOY 

Post#121 » by godkingleonidas » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:47 am

MEDIC wrote:The NBA will be on a slippery slope if they become overly sensitive with this. They will have to crack down on everybody (including players) about the sensitivity issues if they want people to take them seriously.

It's kind of one of those "be careful what you wish for" type of situations.

The "slippery slope" sounds good to me. Lets get rid of all the bigots.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#122 » by MEDIC » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:48 am

Fairview4Life wrote:Heaven forbid they crack down on racists.

Of course any organization should not tolerate racism, but where do you draw the line?
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,094

Post#123 » by Schad » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:49 am

MEDIC wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:Heaven forbid they crack down on racists.

Of course any organization should not tolerate racism, but where do you draw the line?

At the point where they've stopped being racist, I'd say.
**** your asterisk.
MEDIC
RealGM

Post#124 » by MEDIC » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:52 am

godkingleonidas wrote:
MEDIC wrote:The NBA will be on a slippery slope if they become overly sensitive with this. They will have to crack down on everybody (including players) about the sensitivity issues if they want people to take them seriously.

It's kind of one of those "be careful what you wish for" type of situations.

The "slippery slope" sounds good to me. Lets get rid of all the bigots.

I have no problem with it either, but they will have to back it up with action. The players will really have to start watching what they do or say in this new PC NBA.

Maybe it will make it a better, more professional organization & I hope it does.
Risk101
General Manager
And1: 19,145

Post#125 » by Risk101 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:53 am

How does one objectively criticise a player without being insensitive to anyone?

This is where we are in todays society? :lol:
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,094

Post#126 » by Schad » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:06 am

Risk101 wrote:How does one objectively criticise a player without being insensitive to anyone?

Perhaps you could, say, critique the player themselves, rather than framing your criticisms within the overarching context of a comment about the shadiness of the people of a continent said player left twenty **** years ago.
**** your asterisk.
Risk101
General Manager
And1: 19,145

Post#127 » by Risk101 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:11 am

Schadenfreude wrote:
Risk101 wrote:How does one objectively criticise a player without being insensitive to anyone?

Perhaps you could, say, critique the player themselves, rather than framing your criticisms within the overarching context of a comment about the shadiness of the people of a continent said player left twenty **** years ago.

I was more referencing the posters that were discussing about Euro's being labelled "soft".

In no way was I talking about Deng and the comments that were directed towards him.

I should have been more clear in making that point.
godkingleonidas
Banned User

Post#128 » by godkingleonidas » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:29 am

MEDIC wrote:
I have no problem with it either, but they will have to back it up with action. The players will really have to start watching what they do or say in this new PC NBA.

Maybe it will make it a better, more professional organization & I hope it does.

Do you (also) find that the penalties for player misconduct are much harsher than those for management/ownership? I don't find the fines to be relative. Moreover, executives seem to operate with invisibility. Isn't it time to put them under the same microscope? For example, has Mark Cuban fathered any bastard children? If so, how many? Did he pay to have them aborted and millions to cover them up? Has the owner of "franchise A" ever embezzled funds? Did his father help him avoid the draft? Which owner enjoys being tied up and penetrated with a strap-on. Level the field is all I'm saying.
raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,007

Post#129 » by raptor jesus » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:34 pm

Here's the audio: http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-hawk ... ence-call/

Doesn't sound like he's reading from a scouting report. Not. At. All.
knickerbocker2k2
General Manager
And1: 4,455

Post#130 » by knickerbocker2k2 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:54 pm

That tape did not sound offensive. I still don't know what "little african" means. It did not sound like he was reading a script, but I could see where the bullet point was "little african in him". Ferry was essentially going through strengths/weakness from scouting report perspective.

I think he should be fined or suspended, but not fired. He does not have history of racial bias, and although bad use of words, I don't think this is fireable offense.
DellCurry4Life
Junior
And1: 211

Post#131 » by DellCurry4Life » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:57 pm

raptor jesus wrote:Here's the audio: http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-hawk ... ence-call/

Pretty hard to tell that from an audio. From the way he pauses and his sentences are disjointed it would actually seem like he is basing his comments off of something in front of him/written. I would be surprised if he went into a meeting with the owners of the team so unprepared that he didn't have a full sentence on a player in his mind (that was discussed on the audio).

Although it also surprises me that regardless of his personal views he would describe Deng the way he did to his bosses, so like this whole situation who knows

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
MEDIC
RealGM

Post#132 » by MEDIC » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:07 pm

godkingleonidas wrote:
MEDIC wrote:

Do you (also) find that the penalties for player misconduct are much harsher than those for management/ownership? I don't find the fines to be relative. Moreover, executives seem to operate with invisibility. Isn't it time to put them under the same microscope? For example, has Mark Cuban fathered any bastard children? If so, how many? Did he pay to have them aborted and millions to cover them up? Has the owner of "franchise A" ever embezzled funds? Did his father help him avoid the draft? Which owner enjoys being tied up and penetrated with a strap-on. Level the field is all I'm saying.

The owners aren't celebrities (for the most part). Nobody cares about their lives. I'd never even heard of this Atlanta owner until the news came out.

Personally, I could care less about what players do in their personal lives either, but obviously some people do because it makes the news.

Owners are being forced to sell their shares & are being kicked out of the league. I don't recall this happening to any players.

I do think that the NBA should write a code of conduct that everyone involved with the NBA should have to sign (owners, management, players, employees). Something that states clearly what the repercussions will be should they break the code of conduct.
Trianoball
Starter
And1: 47

Post#133 » by Trianoball » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:45 pm

To me it's not that bad.

I'm Irish, and I like to drink. People have definitely linked the two things on many occasions.

I'm sure if I were an NBA player, my report might say that "he's got skills and plays hard, but he's not perfect, he's got some Irish in him. Dude likes to drink a bit too often."

Obviously Africa is a cool place, but also a place where in certain regions you need to stay on your toes to survive.

In a good way, I might say that Masai's got that African in him. He is one crafty, smooth mofo that knows how to work over his opposition. He's badass.
godkingleonidas
Banned User

Post#134 » by godkingleonidas » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:58 pm

raptor jesus wrote:Here's the audio: http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-hawk ... ence-call/

Is that laughter in the background?

Return to Toronto Raptors