ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Players That Never Panned Out.

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Kenyon009
Banned User
And1: 1,869

Re: OT: Players That Never Panned Out. 

Post#61 » by Kenyon009 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:03 am

LieCheatSteal wrote:Greg Oden. Good size, good hands. His knees just couldn't hack it.

"it" lol
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,165

Post#62 » by Anatomize » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:03 am

Tyrus Thomas (showed a lot of flashes, but he never improved on a year to year basis. I expected a Shawn Marion two way type of impact), Sean May, Sean Williams, Terrence Williams (I hyped him up big time around here during that draft and wanted us to pick him), Michael Beasley (I watched his college highlights prior to him being drafted and just thought he'd be a stud). Darius Miles (I loved him and he was my favorite player in the league his rookie season - but the injuries really halted his development - he was starting to break out in Portland at age 24 and that's when the injuries hit hard).

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8yFXsyGafI[/youtube]
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#63 » by Anatomize » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:08 am

Kinger95 wrote:Joey Graham had ALL the tools to be a pretty good nba player. Tony Allen level defender at least, had an ok J too

His problem was he had no range outside of that baby J antonio davis style - and he couldn't dribble to save his life. Graham may have had the worst handles I've seen in the league at that point, he would always pick up his dribble. He had a nice post game though, I'll give him that. I also always thought he could amount to a bit more, what a disappointment, I think everyone just loved his hulk physique.

He had a few seasons here he performed relatively well in limited min, but we never really gave him a full shot in those years.
EJaggit
Starter
And1: 2,328

Post#64 » by EJaggit » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:58 am

Roko Ukic
CoinTossRoss31
Rookie
And1: 1,252

Post#65 » by CoinTossRoss31 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:50 am

I remember wanting Dennis Schroeder (I think thats how you spell his name) very bad in the 2013 NBA draft.. What happened to him last season?
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#66 » by Anatomize » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:14 am

CoinTossRoss31 wrote:I remember wanting Dennis Schroeder (I think thats how you spell his name) very bad in the 2013 NBA draft.. What happened to him last season?

Not sure that counts man.. the guy is a backup to Teague and is still really young/developing (just entering his sophmore year anyhow).

Averaged close to 16/4/3 this past SL (32.2 min - 6 games, shot pretty awful).
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#67 » by Yosemite Dan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:55 am

EJaggit wrote:Roko Ukic

LOL, I was about to post him. I never even heard of the guy before the draft (neither did 99% of this board) and then some article gets posted by some random schmuck about the potential of this guy which meant it was obviously a slow news day. Next thing you know this board goes bat **** crazy for a guy they couldn't pick out of a police line up and think he's going top 10 and will be the next Steve Nash.

I remember draft day and people here are almost suicidal that we skipped on him and picked Graham instead with our mid 1st round pick. We take him 2nd round after no one else wanted him because obviously Babcock must have been reading this board. And we wait 2 years to get this guy over here and then it's like WTF??? This is what all the hulabaloo was about? What a waste of a pick, even if it was a 2 rounder.
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#68 » by Anatomize » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:01 pm

^ I had a feeling Ukic would suck from day one. He had no semblance of a jumper, and he could only use his right hand to dribble. He looked so awkward going left, it was like a little kid without a left hand, he would move laterally/sideways going left while dribbling with his right hand.
Flight33
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,887

Post#69 » by Flight33 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:16 pm

random_hero891 wrote:Michael Beasley

Definitely this man. This guy was an absolute monster at Kansas State, some people were even saying that he would be better than Kevin Durant. But, he is undersized and never truly focused.
terryboy
Junior
And1: 83

Post#70 » by terryboy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:44 pm

Yi Jianlian drafted by the BUCKS.

I thought he was going to have a good career with tons of endorsements after the way he destroyed that chair in the workout
Kohanz
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 992

Post#71 » by Kohanz » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:50 pm

Eddy Curry
yk24
Sixth Man
And1: 346

Post#72 » by yk24 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:03 pm

Some good picks in this post ... but I'm going to go with Joey Graham.

The guy was built like a tank, was athletic (Alonzo Mourning says Hi), and a good low post defender/scorer.

The problem with him was his head ... he was dumber than a doorknob lol. Now he's somewhere in the world playing ball.
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,409

Post#73 » by Patman » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:14 pm

Anatomize wrote:
Kinger95 wrote:Joey Graham had ALL the tools to be a pretty good nba player. Tony Allen level defender at least, had an ok J too

His problem was he had no range outside of that baby J antonio davis style - and he couldn't dribble to save his life. Graham may have had the worst handles I've seen in the league at that point, he would always pick up his dribble. He had a nice post game though, I'll give him that. I also always thought he could amount to a bit more, what a disappointment, I think everyone just loved his hulk physique.

He had a few seasons here he performed relatively well in limited min, but we never really gave him a full shot in those years.

Joey could have been as good as a PJ Tucker if just had the motor. He always looked like he was half sleeping until he would explode for a dunk or something.
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,409

Post#74 » by Patman » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:17 pm

A former Raptor: Sebastian Telfair. The guy was making magazine covers with LeBron in HS.

And someone who was on his way to becoming a dominant force but screwed everything up: Andrew Bynum. I thought the dude was going to surpass Dwight as the premier centre in the league b/c his footwork and touch were much better than Dwight's.
Homer Jay
Assistant Coach
And1: 674

Post#75 » by Homer Jay » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:26 pm

Terrence Williams
Eddie Griffin
Michael Beasley

Shows you that attitude and mental make-up do matter.

to a lesser extent
J.R. Smith (had a semblance of a couple of good year in NY previously but regressed last year)
Derrick Williams (still has time to turn it around if he can find a role to fill)
BB (Always a long term project. Give give him five years then call it.)
Evan Turner (Does a lot of things well in the game, but can't shoot, already a bench player.
grumpwalter
Analyst
And1: 1,410

Post#76 » by grumpwalter » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:10 pm

Sean Williams (former Net) comes to mind

Return to Toronto Raptors