ImageImageImageImageImage

Basketball Insiders' Raptors Season Preview

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Homer Jay
Assistant Coach
And1: 674

Re: Basketball Insiders' Raptors Season Preview 

Post#21 » by Homer Jay » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:22 pm

arbsn wrote:Best New Addition: In all seriousness, it very well could be rookie forward Bruno Caboclo. The Raptors were bashed for his selection initially, but after summer league it was quite evident that they had one of the steals of the draft and someone who is much closer to contributing sooner than later.

:lol: :lol:

Not sure if sarcastic

More like not sure if writer knows this team at all. Seems to have completely missed JJ and Lou pick ups and Bruno will barely play this year, there is no chance for him to make an impact.
Narjee
Senior
And1: 627

Post#22 » by Narjee » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:04 pm

I am disappointed T-Ross wasn't even mentioned.

"Real disrespectful! #ProveEm"
joediamond
Banned User
And1: 404

Post#23 » by joediamond » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:37 pm

Homer Jay wrote:
arbsn wrote:Best New Addition: In all seriousness, it very well could be rookie forward Bruno Caboclo. The Raptors were bashed for his selection initially, but after summer league it was quite evident that they had one of the steals of the draft and someone who is much closer to contributing sooner than later.

Not sure if sarcastic

More like not sure if writer knows this team at all. Seems to have completely missed JJ and Lou pick ups and Bruno will barely play this year, there is no chance for him to make an impact.

why not? The dude is a capable 3-pt shooter already. Showing off 3-pt shots off the dribble, which with his length, is unguardable even in the NBA. If he can play decent defence I can see a role for him.
Rapsfan151
Pro Prospect
And1: 643

Post#24 » by Rapsfan151 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:02 pm

joediamond wrote:
Homer Jay wrote:

Not sure if sarcastic

why not? The dude is a capable 3-pt shooter already. Showing off 3-pt shots off the dribble, which with his length, is unguardable even in the NBA. If he can play decent defence I can see a role for him.

Rookies in the NBA usually are below average in their rookie season. Add in the fact Bruno is so raw both Offensively and Defensively if he gets mins they will only be in garbage time. Realistically he should probably play in the D League.

The one advantage of having such a deep bench is with the extra amount extra back to backs. We shouldn't have to have our starters play a lot of minutes with all of the depth.
joediamond
Banned User
And1: 404

Post#25 » by joediamond » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:37 am

Rapsfan151 wrote:
joediamond wrote:
Homer Jay wrote:

Rookies in the NBA usually are below average in their rookie season. Add in the fact Bruno is so raw both Offensively and Defensively if he gets mins they will only be in garbage time. Realistically he should probably play in the D League.

The one advantage of having such a deep bench is with the extra amount extra back to backs. We shouldn't have to have our starters play a lot of minutes with all of the depth.

tell me another 6"9 player that can make 3-pt'ers off the dribble.

A bloody stepback 3-pt shot. Thats a Kevin Durant move.
KingTdot
Senior
And1: 306

Post#26 » by KingTdot » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:21 am

Jstock12 wrote:
Best Case
57-35

It's going to be a special 92-game season.

haha :lol: added 10 more games than he should have. 47-35, is worse than last yr by 1. i think our best case would be;
50-32 or better, but i see us, if we play just as good if not better, hitting 52ish games.
rapz101
Senior
And1: 716

Post#27 » by rapz101 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:33 am

Im very optimistic about this raps squad, but i'll keep my expectations modest...something about 20 yrs of stinking has taught me not to get my hopes up, but i am def ' intrigued
Rapsfan151
Pro Prospect

Post#28 » by Rapsfan151 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:14 am

joediamond wrote:
Rapsfan151 wrote:
joediamond wrote:

tell me another 6"9 player that can make 3-pt'ers off the dribble.

A bloody stepback 3-pt shot. Thats a Kevin Durant move.

First of all he hasn't done that against NBA competition. Second of all it won't matter if he can hit the 3 at a 35-38% clip if he is lost on the defensive side of the floor. Bruno is a project and the Raptors Front office and coaching staff know it. If he is getting minutes consistently it means the Raptors won't be having a good season.
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#29 » by Komodo » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:51 am

Rapsfan151 wrote:
Anatomize wrote:Really not liking this quote from Joel Brigham

"and the success of this team will have to come from the same places it did last year."

That's not true at all.. We did just add James Johnson, Lou Williams, shotblocking/rebounding backup C's with high FG% in Greg and Lucas. Did he just forget about those pieces? There is no way that quote is justifiable.

That quote is absolutely true. The success of the Raptors is going to come down to Lowry, Derozan, Amir and Jonas. Not Lou Williams and James Johnson. Are those additions going to help the Raptors be a better team? Hopefully, but they won't make or break the season.

Absolutely. It comes down to your 3 best players. Depth is key, but stars matter. We'll live or die with Lowry, DD, and Val. Loved the JJ pickup, though.
Ari_Emanuel
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,835

Post#30 » by Ari_Emanuel » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:37 pm

Troubadour wrote:Basketball Insiders is an amateur website. One of their...bloggers?...said something about how stability had "alluded" Kyle Lowry throughout his career.............

That's a true statement though. Stability has alluded Lowr up until now. :roll:
neurotik wrote:
Raps Maniac wrote:
Risk101 wrote:Inb4 the ass jokes.

But that's his downside.

No thats his backside.

Lowry's upside is mental and psychological.
protothe
Bench Warmer
And1: 925

Post#31 » by protothe » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:29 pm

I don't understand how anyone can think NY can improve....how is this possible?
Who have they added to make the team improve? The only thing they did was lose their anchor on defense.
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Post#32 » by Troubadour » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:48 pm

Ari_Emanuel wrote:
Troubadour wrote:Basketball Insiders is an amateur website. One of their...bloggers?...said something about how stability had "alluded" Kyle Lowry throughout his career.............

No, because "allude" is to make reference to something. They meant elude. Basic things like that make me lose respect for a publication.
Ari_Emanuel
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,835

Post#33 » by Ari_Emanuel » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:09 pm

Troubadour wrote:
Ari_Emanuel wrote:

No, because "allude" is to make reference to something. They meant elude. Basic things like that make me lose respect for a publication.

Lol oh yeah. Not sure how I missed that :lol:. I read it quickly and it sounded right in my head.

:banghead:
neurotik wrote:
Raps Maniac wrote:
Risk101 wrote:Inb4 the ass jokes.

But that's his downside.

No thats his backside.

Lowry's upside is mental and psychological.
Homer Jay
Assistant Coach
And1: 674

Post#34 » by Homer Jay » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:50 pm

joediamond wrote:
Homer Jay wrote:

Not sure if sarcastic

Isn't his fault. There is simply no playing time available for him as it sits right now. Two guys have to be in street clothes and to start the year, one of those guys is going to be Bruno as it sits right now. Maybe fields gets moved, and one of JJ or Ross gets hurt. That could go a long way towards Bruno playing.

It's simply a numbers game right now and he's odd man out.
OlFlashy
Rookie
And1: 363

Post#35 » by OlFlashy » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:47 pm

I think you're putting too much value on what we added this offseason. It was a great offseason, but we brought back more or less the same team, with some added bench depth.

"and the success of this team will have to come from the same places it did last year."

That's not true at all.. We did just add James Johnson, Lou Williams, shotblocking/rebounding backup C's with high FG% in Greg and Lucas. Did he just forget about those pieces? There is no way that quote is justifiable.
Rapsfan151
Pro Prospect

Post#36 » by Rapsfan151 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:15 pm

Anatomize wrote:
Rapsfan151 wrote:

That quote is absolutely true. The success of the Raptors is going to come down to Lowry, Derozan, Amir and Jonas. Not Lou Williams and James Johnson. Are those additions going to help the Raptors be a better team? Hopefully, but they won't make or break the season.

The idea Joel is throwing out is that if any of the pieces from last year don't play to the same standard, our team won't perform well/succeed, and that's wherein lies the difference between our thoughts. DD/Lowry got better after Rudy left, but we needed great team/bench contributions from Vasquez/Patterson to supplement it and to win consistently. Too much credit is given to the elite backcourt, but almost none to our bench? In this case, our improved depth makes a huge difference; without our success completely hinging on our star backcourt. Now, Vasquez can afford to have a rough stretch (as he did over an entire span of a month in March prior to breaking out in April) - because Lou Williams is there, likewise can be said for Ross if he struggles with inconsistency bouts - because James Johnson is there. This is still a team that can win and compete if major injury strikes (although we won't go far), so to say that everything relies on the same pieces seems false to me, otherwise what would be the point of adding all this depth in the first place? (to make us a better team). This is team basketball, not team backcourt.

If Lowry and Derozan get worse or get injured for a long period of time it won't matter how much Lou Williams or JJ contribute because the team will be worse. If this team wants to get to the 2nd round of the playoffs, it won't be the bench that gets them there, it will be the starting 5. That is what the author is saying and I don't see why you can think otherwise.
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#37 » by IMAN5 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:29 pm

JJ and Lou were such big acquisitions it's not even funny.

I still feel we need one more legit 7 footer because as much as I like guys like Hans and Bebe they are too unreliable. Brilliant one game, then exposed the next 5 games to guys like Gortat, Marc Gasol, etc. A veteran would be nice, but we can't get everything we want.
instagram.com/510movement
JWiLL02
RealGM
And1: 2,443

Post#38 » by JWiLL02 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:33 pm

6ixSideSniper wrote:Joel Brigham is going to feel the wrath of Raptor fans for predicting we'll get 2nd in the Atlantic :lol:

Yeah...I have $300 riding on the Raptors winning the division and I've never felt more confident about a bet. 8-)
*Sig courtesy of Raptors' royalty 'Turbozone'. http://www.turbozone.ca"
Rapsfan151
Pro Prospect

Post#39 » by Rapsfan151 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:25 am

JWiLL02 wrote:
6ixSideSniper wrote:Joel Brigham is going to feel the wrath of Raptor fans for predicting we'll get 2nd in the Atlantic :lol:

Yeah...I have $300 riding on the Raptors winning the division and I've never felt more confident about a bet. 8-)

I wouldn't feel too confident. Iv been on the wrong side of that before. Colts looked like locks to win the division this year and are 0-2. Blue Jays looked like locks to win the division or Wildcard in early June and that didn't happen. All it takes is a significant injury and it can all go downhill..
joseph235
Banned User
And1: 1,895

Post#40 » by joseph235 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:40 am

Rapsfan151 wrote:
JWiLL02 wrote:

I wouldn't feel too confident. Iv been on the wrong side of that before. Colts looked like locks to win the division this year and are 0-2. Blue Jays looked like locks to win the division or Wildcard in early June and that didn't happen. All it takes is a significant injury and it can all go downhill..

Colts will still win their division by default. Only a matter of time before Ryan Fitzpatrick goes full Fitzpatrick.

Return to Toronto Raptors