ImageImageImageImageImage

John Salley PTS-Playing in Toronto

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Re: John Salley PTS-Playing in Toronto 

Post#21 » by will » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:50 pm

John Salley didn't have the right accountant.
cram
Head Coach
And1: 1,699

Post#22 » by cram » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:20 pm

The tone of this thread is way off base. John Salley was EXTREMELY positive about Canada in the interview. He mentioned the taxes as the only negative.

It was a great interview - very entertaining.
Mack11
RealGM
And1: 56,989

Post#23 » by Mack11 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:28 pm

its like everyone got a recent memo that taxes in canada are bad.. everyone seems to be mentioning it all of the sudden

you gotta pay uncle sam and queen elizabeth we get it
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#24 » by J Dilla » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:42 pm

the average joe bitches a lot about taxes, so i can see why rich people are also angry about it.

other than paying for massively overpaid government employees and useless bureaucratic agencies, i am happy where my money is helping.
ReggieSlater
Starter
And1: 873

Post#25 » by ReggieSlater » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:18 am

J Dilla wrote:the average joe bitches a lot about taxes, so i can see why rich people are also angry about it.

other than paying for massively overpaid government employees and useless bureaucratic agencies, i am happy where my money is helping.

Say what?
RandomRaptorfan
Veteran
And1: 2,404

Post#26 » by RandomRaptorfan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:22 am

But he says that Toronto's going to be a spot. That I'll be able to own the town. I buy into it.

I had no idea what I was getting into. Every day in the newspaper was a full page explaining a referee's call. They had to explain basketball to these people.

LOL we've come so far
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,977

Post#27 » by MEDIC » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:30 am

J Dilla wrote:the average joe bitches a lot about taxes, so i can see why rich people are also angry about it.

Completely off topic, but you should see what some of the subcontractors make that do work for the government. It's much worse than direct employees.

I worked on a site that was building a power plant for the government. The contractors were trying to milk the project as long as possible because it was guaranteed work & the money was gravy. This was about 8 years ago.

When I left, the project was already 2 years past the target date for completion with no end in sight.

The crane operators were making 70+ dollars an hour. The electricians were making 40+ dollars an hour. They were getting OT paid at double time after 7 hours daily & Friday, Sat & Sun were all double time.

I was blown away on the level of fiscal irresponsibility on that project.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Blast Tyrant
Banned User
And1: 3,059

Post#28 » by Blast Tyrant » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:13 am

His Tim and Sid interview was hilarious.

He told a story about how Rodman used to get in guys heads by telling them how sexy they were and breathing frantically. He said Alonzo Mourning was his favorite target. They'd also tell Alonzo his calves were too big and that he must be part white. Being someone that hates Mourning for what he did to our franchise, this story brought me some much needed closure.

He also spent a large part of the interview talking about how he was going to get stoned at a vapor lounge on Church Street once he was done his interview. He invited Tim and Sid. He talked about how he is a big supporter of medicinal cannabis, and talked about how he never "inhaled" until he was 36.

I didn't catch the end of the interview or anything on McCown, but it was a classic John Salley interview.
Rapsfan151
Pro Prospect
And1: 643

Post#29 » by Rapsfan151 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:18 am

Blast Tyrant wrote:His Tim and Sid interview was hilarious.

He told a story about how Rodman used to get in guys heads by telling them how sexy they were and breathing frantically. He said Alonzo Mourning was his favorite target. They'd also tell Alonzo his calves were too big and that he must be part white. Being someone that hates Mourning for what he did to our franchise, this story brought me some much needed closure.

He also spent a large part of the interview talking about how he was going to get stoned at a vapor lounge on Church Street once he was done his interview. He invited Tim and Sid. He talked about how he is a big supporter of medicinal cannabis, and talked about how he never "inhaled" until he was 36.

I didn't catch the end of the interview or anything on McCown, but it was a classic John Salley interview.

I listened to that as well. No way this guy didn't cheat on his wife. He was talking about how good the Toronto women were meanwhile his wife was pregnant with their baby.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,004

Post#30 » by JaysRule15 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:03 am

ForeverTFC wrote:
LeafsRule67 wrote:I can't find the article, but wasn't the whole taxes thing in Toronto debunked a while back? Someone did a little research and found that the players in Toronto paid similar taxes to players in New York.

Yup.

For comparative purposes, if that same player was traded to a team in California, instead of Canada, he would actually be worse off financially! In that case, he would pay an additional $3.5 million in taxes. A move to a team in New York State (where tax rates are similar to Toronto) would cost the player an additional $2.5 million in taxes - assuming that player does not want to live in a swanky Manhattan condo, where city taxes would cost him a further $1.7 million.

Florida and other non-taxed states such as Texas are only a few examples where large tax discrepancies may exist when a player is traded to a Canadian team. However, as illustrated above, the added tax costs for a player moving to the Blue Jays would be no different than if he moved to the Dodgers or the Mets.

http://www.crowehorwath.net/soberman/in ... anada.aspx

Thanks for digging that up man. I knew I had read that somewhere. Gonna save it in my favourites so I can use it the next time some clueless guy on these boards complains about Toronto's high taxes.
Lucky26
Starter
And1: 487

Post#31 » by Lucky26 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:35 am

Salley is mad because he lived in Cali as well as work in Toronto and he had a bad accountant
I'll play defense when you get a girlfriend
cali_raps_fan
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#32 » by cali_raps_fan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:33 am

I live in California, I pay higher taxes here than I did when I lived in Toronto. Obviously not the same tax bracket but it would extend similarly.
Rhythm043
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,865

Post#33 » by Rhythm043 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:21 am

I don't even remember anything sally ever did for the Raptors. That's how garbage he was.
On Gerald Henderson vs Derozan:
"Yes. Hendo is quite a bit better than DeMar.
So yes, I do believe he's currently the better player and do project that will continue to be in the future. I would also take Turner over DD."
--Throwback24,Jan 2014
Illuminati_
Starter
And1: 346

Post#34 » by Illuminati_ » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:23 am

How come people wont address how revenue canada owes him 150 k from 18 years ago?
Illuminati_
Starter
And1: 346

Post#35 » by Illuminati_ » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:28 am

ATLTimekeeper wrote:I'd say it was probably more his inability to spend his money wisely, but whatever, yeah we have some high taxes here. We're also full of hard-working people that are willing to shell a few of those bucks over to watch John Salley's play a game for a living. I wish guys like that would just **** right off and just be grateful he was alive in a time where people wanted to pay him a lot of money to put a rubber ball through a hoop.

Bunch of racist jargon.

What does a tax issue have to do with player spending????

And like he mentioned on air with t&s the nba is a show..its business. If you hate your life thats one thing my friend.

But to get iraye cause nba pkayers wont come to tornto over taxes is pretty low. The nba is a multi-billion dollar operation so yes players are compensated for their service. And yes you hard workers have to shell out money to gain access. The owners wouldnt have it no other way.
godkingleonidas
Banned User
And1: 2,215

Post#36 » by godkingleonidas » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:22 am

Rapsfan151 wrote:He was on Tim & Sid earlier and PTS now. Interesting that he said the one thing about playing in Toronto that will keep people away is the taxes. Said he loves the city and everything about it but the Taxes killed him when he was here.

He said players won't realize this until after they retire though, which is good since players don't really know about it when they are here.

Bean counters @ MLSE need to start cooking the books.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,961

Post#37 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:33 pm

Illuminati_ wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:I'd say it was probably more his inability to spend his money wisely, but whatever, yeah we have some high taxes here. We're also full of hard-working people that are willing to shell a few of those bucks over to watch John Salley's play a game for a living. I wish guys like that would just **** right off and just be grateful he was alive in a time where people wanted to pay him a lot of money to put a rubber ball through a hoop.

Bunch of racist jargon.

What does a tax issue have to do with player spending????

And like he mentioned on air with t&s the nba is a show..its business. If you hate your life thats one thing my friend.

But to get iraye cause nba pkayers wont come to tornto over taxes is pretty low. The nba is a multi-billion dollar operation so yes players are compensated for their service. And yes you hard workers have to shell out money to gain access. The owners wouldnt have it no other way.

There is absolutely nothing race related in my post. It's pretty miserable of you to try and make that insinuation.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,503

Post#38 » by OakleyDokely » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:19 pm

MEDIC wrote:

Completely off topic, but you should see what some of the subcontractors make that do work for the government. It's much worse than direct employees.

I worked on a site that was building a power plant for the government. The contractors were trying to milk the project as long as possible because it was guaranteed work & the money was gravy. This was about 8 years ago.

When I left, the project was already 2 years past the target date for completion with no end in sight.

The crane operators were making 70+ dollars an hour. The electricians were making 40+ dollars an hour. They were getting OT paid at double time after 7 hours daily & Friday, Sat & Sun were all double time.

I was blown away on the level of fiscal irresponsibility on that project.

I have a buddy who does carpeting. A government agency contracted his company to do the carpeting for an office building. After about 10 floors were completed, the government official overseeing the project, looked at the carpet, didn't like the color they originally picked, and had them change it. My buddy did the same job twice, for twice the money (at a much higher cost than his typical going rate as well). He loved it.
RealRapsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 893

Post#39 » by RealRapsFan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:26 pm

LeafsRule67 wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
LeafsRule67 wrote:I can't find the article, but wasn't the whole taxes thing in Toronto debunked a while back? Someone did a little research and found that the players in Toronto paid similar taxes to players in New York.

Yup.

For comparative purposes, if that same player was traded to a team in California, instead of Canada, he would actually be worse off financially! In that case, he would pay an additional $3.5 million in taxes. A move to a team in New York State (where tax rates are similar to Toronto) would cost the player an additional $2.5 million in taxes - assuming that player does not want to live in a swanky Manhattan condo, where city taxes would cost him a further $1.7 million.

Florida and other non-taxed states such as Texas are only a few examples where large tax discrepancies may exist when a player is traded to a Canadian team. However, as illustrated above, the added tax costs for a player moving to the Blue Jays would be no different than if he moved to the Dodgers or the Mets.

http://www.crowehorwath.net/soberman/in ... anada.aspx

Thanks for digging that up man. I knew I had read that somewhere. Gonna save it in my favourites so I can use it the next time some clueless guy on these boards complains about Toronto's high taxes.

Before you go out trying to show up some 'clueless guy' on these boards over taxes remember:

- that one doesn't just pay income tax
- there is a difference between nominal tax rates and relative tax rates (how much the tax rate is vs how much people actually pay after deduction/avoidance etc)
- that quote is only comparing the 2 biggest cities in the NA sports market to Toronto

may be worth finding out alot more information, rather than spitting partial information at people and assuming you know better.
Optimism Bias is the tendency of individuals to underestimate the likelihood they will experience adverse events. Optimistic bias cannot be reduced, and by trying to reduce the optimistic bias the end result was generally even more optimistically biased
Blast Tyrant
Banned User
And1: 3,059

Post#40 » by Blast Tyrant » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:36 pm

Illuminati_ wrote:How come people wont address how revenue canada owes him 150 k from 18 years ago?

I wouldn't doubt it. Revenue Canada owes me a couple thousand dollars.

Return to Toronto Raptors