ImageImageImageImageImage

Lowe: Lowry will be an All Star this year

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Which of the following Raptors will be All-Stars? (Check all that apply)

DeMar DeRozan
44%
Kyle Lowry
44%
Jonas Valanciunas
8%
No Raptor will make the ASG
3%

Total votes: 264

Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Lowe: Lowry will be an All Star this year 

Post#1 » by Rhettmatic » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:38 pm

Lowe's predictions for this NBA season are an entertaining read.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/33-cr ... ba-season/

25. Kyle Lowry will make the All-Star team.

It’s time, and these things can be kind of like the Oscars, where guilt drives voters to reward people who really should have won the year before. The competition is tighter this season with Rose and Rondo back, but the Raps are going to be good, and the coaches will reward them with at least one All-Star spot.

He also mentions Toronto as a potential fit for Jeff Green.

The Raptors have bad memories of Joe Johnson bulldozing them in the post, and they have all their own picks, plus the midsize expiring deals linked to Landry Fields and Chuck Hayes. Atlanta and Detroit could use a boost on the wing, and it’s easy to see Green fitting as a hybrid forward in both Houston and New York. Denver’s roster seems ripe for a trade, though the Nuggets are crowded on the wing.

Green could fit in lots of places. If Boston doesn’t view him as a long-term core piece, he’ll be easy to move.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,210

Re: Lowe's 2014-15 Predictions: Lowry will be an All Star 

Post#2 » by LLJ » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:42 pm

I remember when Jeff Green was considered a core piece for OKC when the Durant-Westbrook days were just starting out.

How time flies...
Blast Tyrant
Banned User
And1: 3,059

Re: Lowe's 2014-15 Predictions: Lowry will be an All Star 

Post#3 » by Blast Tyrant » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:51 pm

LLJ wrote:I remember when Jeff Green was considered a core piece for OKC when the Durant-Westbrook days were just starting out.

How time flies...

Everyone talks about how great OKC is at drafting. Yet they conveniently forget that they drafted Green over Noah.
Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Re: Lowe: Lowry will be an All Star this year 

Post#4 » by Matty » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:55 pm

Jeff Green would a be huge addition to this team, but that would mean pushing Ross to the curb, and we just got James Johnson to fill in that defensive void.

People are really underestimating the value Terrence brings to our starting lineup.
Scarface844
Banned User
And1: 7,859

Post#5 » by Scarface844 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:57 pm

JJ can do nearly everything Green to do for $6 million cheaper and a shorter deal. No thanks.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#6 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:59 pm

Like the idea of Horford being available. I love Amir, but it would be nice to have him along side Jonas.
pbj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,757

Post#7 » by pbj » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:59 pm

Matty wrote:Jeff Green would a be huge addition to this team, but that would mean pushing Ross to the curb, and we just got James Johnson to fill in that defensive void.

People are really underestimating the value Terrence brings to our starting lineup.

Also, some people are really overestimating the value Terrence brings to our starting lineup
OvertimeNO
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,663

Post#8 » by OvertimeNO » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:01 pm

Jeff Green is a poor man's Rudy Gay.
"If it ain't broke, don't break it." - Charles Oakley
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,210

Post#9 » by LLJ » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:01 pm

theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:Like the idea of Horford being available. I love Amir, but it would be nice to have him along side Jonas.

YES. Although Horford is more a C IMO.
Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#10 » by Matty » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:03 pm

pbj wrote:
Matty wrote:Jeff Green would a be huge addition to this team, but that would mean pushing Ross to the curb, and we just got James Johnson to fill in that defensive void.

Also, some people are really overestimating the value Terrence brings to our starting lineup

Are you implying that Green would make a bigger impact on this team as the starting SF?
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#11 » by Rhettmatic » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:05 pm

theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:Like the idea of Horford being available. I love Amir, but it would be nice to have him along side Jonas.

I too am way more intrigued by Al Horford than the very average Jeff Green.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,541

Post#12 » by DG88 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:06 pm

LLJ wrote:

He's played C out of necessity honestly. His true position is at PF and I'd trade Amir + picks for Horford in a heartbeat.
arbsn
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,627

Post#13 » by arbsn » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:08 pm

Scarface844 wrote:JJ can do nearly everything Green to do for $6 million cheaper and a shorter deal. No thanks.

Dude are you serious? Have you watched JJ play? He's a terrible offensive player and an egotistical personality.

The more I observe the team in preseason the more I think the JJ acquisition was an awful idea.

Plus Jeff Green is a solid 3pt shooter and has guarded LeBron as well as just about anyone.

He's exactly what we need.
sca
Head Coach
And1: 9,172

Post#14 » by sca » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:09 pm

Jeff Green is still insanely talented, and is a decent defender, but he's also one of the most inconsistent players in the league. I think we'll see what he's really made of this year, he'll be playing alongside Rondo to set him up some better looks, and take some pressure off of him. Still, I don't think he'd be a good fit at all, for numerous reasons:

- He really shouldn't take any shots from Lowry, DD or even Valanciunas, but he's a high usage player (in other words, he's a chucker, lol)
- He's not really a better defender than Ross.
- He's not exactly an all-around player. Not a good passer or rebounder.

The only advantage he'd have over Ross is that we can run small ball lineups with him at the four, and he can carry the load if one of Lowry / DD goes down.
RaptorsLife on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:45 pm wrote:
nabbs wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:Nurse can’t be our head coach

Why not? Who is your choice?

Def Messina

RaptorsLife on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm wrote:Messina sucks
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,733

Post#15 » by Basketball_Jones » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:10 pm

I'd like Jeff Green on this team, but I think the much cheaper combo of Ross/JJ is probably just as effective. Green's numbers just aren't impressive.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
pbj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,757

Post#16 » by pbj » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:11 pm

Matty wrote:
pbj wrote:

Are you implying that Green would make a bigger impact on this team as the starting SF?

I wasn't implying that (though it might be true), I was just saying that (if I remember correctly) Ross is like a average defensive player by Synergy numbers (paging v_v_v) but people seem to think he's some kind of stopper - hence the overrating part.
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#17 » by vini_vidi_vici » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:28 pm

pbj wrote:
Matty wrote:
pbj wrote:

I wasn't implying that (though it might be true), I was just saying that (if I remember correctly) Ross is like a average defensive player by Synergy numbers (paging v_v_v) but people seem to think he's some kind of stopper - hence the overrating part.

TR DPPP, fairly average.

Altho I do think TRs shooting (specifically 3s) and ability to cover multiple positions/drawing the toughest assignment, doesnt make him overrated but theres merit to what youre saying no doubt.
iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#18 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:29 pm

LLJ wrote:

He doesn't want to be. He's been on the Hawks to find a C for years, even his dad has lobied them. I doubt a second chest injury has made that any different. He's mobile enough to cover 4's and he can stretch it out a bit too. Maybe not to the 3 pt line.
Young_Buc
General Manager
And1: 9,130

Post#19 » by Young_Buc » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:32 pm

I'd trade for Horford using Amir and picks for sure. If he was the Horford of old, I think it legitimately would place us above Chicago.
hell_razor
Banned User
And1: 4,567

Post#20 » by hell_razor » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:34 pm

Young_Buc wrote:I'd trade for Horford using Amir and picks for sure. If he was the Horford of old, I think it legitimately would place us above Chicago.

the problem is that we developed a too good of a relationship with amir

Return to Toronto Raptors