ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: NBA to experiment with 44 minute game on Sunday

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

How much of an issue is NBA broadcast length?

Games are way too long
No votes
Games are a little too long
17%
Games are just right
83%

Total votes: 75

Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,188

Re: OT: NBA to experiment with 44 minute game on Sunday 

Post#41 » by Tofubeque » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:33 am

Length of games and number of games probably won't change. But the preseason and maybe offseason should be shorter and the regular season spread out more.

They extended the All-star break this year, but the season's start date and end date are the same. So the season is even MORE condensed this year, with more back to backs. That's the opposite of the direction they should be going. Back to back games and travel are the biggest unnecessary tolls on NBA athletes.
props Turbozone
joeyt618
Rookie
And1: 569

Post#42 » by joeyt618 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:12 am

JN wrote:My solution is for split screen advertising on all free throw attempts during the first 43 minutes of a game. That would probably be fairly effective ad placement and revenue for the broadcasters. They could then offset the increased revenue with less media timeouts. You get a shorter game with similar media revenue.

As a viewer would you be that pissed if they showed split screen ad's during free throw attempts for the first 3 and a half quarters? Especially if this reduced other TV timeouts?

Interesting idea, but I don't think it would work. Tv timeouts are there because it guarantees the advertisers get their set number of commercials in their particular time slots. The number of free throws vary per game, so if it's a low fouling game, you won't have enough minutes to fulfil the paying advertisers.

Sent from my C6906 using RealGM Forums mobile app
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,077

Post#43 » by mihaic » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:42 am

Coaltrain wrote:
mihaic wrote:Re: fouls at the end of game, they could do something like:
If there are more than 2 FT-generating fouls in the last 2 minutes of the game, and a new foul occurs less than 8 seconds in a shotclock, then allow the team that was fouled 3 FTs not 2. This would nix the benefit of intentional fouls as the team that leads has more chances to stay ahead...

I honestly think that from a pure game mechanics standpoint, clearly intentional shooting fouls in the last 2 minutes of the game by the trailing team should be 1 shot and the ball back at half court with 16 seconds on the shot clock.

It would completely eliminate intentional fouling at the end of games, but it will never happen because then there would be much less artificial "drama" at the end of games.

The problem is how do you identify what you had in bold font there, CLEARLY intentional. That is subjective. Instead, the idea is to penalise teams trying to adopt that strategy.

But I agree with you: I think the NBA wants those long game endings because it keeps people in front of tha TV and the comercials go on and on.
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,077

Post#44 » by mihaic » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:47 am

JN wrote:
mihaic wrote:Re: fouls at the end of game, they could do something like:
If there are more than 2 FT-generating fouls in the last 2 minutes of the game, and a new foul occurs less than 8 seconds in a shotclock, then allow the team that was fouled 3 FTs not 2. This would nix the benefit of intentional fouls as the team that leads has more chances to stay ahead...

I'm in line with the idea of penalizing fouls in some manner that you have proposed.

But why not just make it an automatic 2 points for the team instead of 3 free throw attempt's. It reduces time, and it will be a penalty for too much fouling.

Yeah something like that. My idea was not very well thought out, but something along the line would do it.

I doubt the NBA will ever agree to do something about it, because they have sponsors, etc which absolutely love those late game situations where the viewership spikes.
Rapsfan151
Pro Prospect
And1: 643

Post#45 » by Rapsfan151 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:13 am

Tofubeque wrote:Length of games and number of games probably won't change. But the preseason and maybe offseason should be shorter and the regular season spread out more.

They extended the All-star break this year, but the season's start date and end date are the same. So the season is even MORE condensed this year, with more back to backs. That's the opposite of the direction they should be going. Back to back games and travel are the biggest unnecessary tolls on NBA athletes.

I agree. Pre season is way too long and there are way too many back to backs. If they insist on keeping 82 games spread it out more. Killing 4 min off the game literally only makes the game maybe 5 min shorter. The first 5 min of every quarter goes by pretty quickly and as everyone has said there are way too many timeouts at the end of the game.

Take away a couple timeouts and allow teams the ability to advance the ball to halfcourt since coaches are taking TOs for that reason half the time.
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,364

Post#46 » by Hero » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:18 am

pbj wrote:What about the opposite direction - a 50 or 52 minute game?

Thinking out loud.. more time for role players would mean a less entertaining game? or would it mean more stars/recognizable players? or would coaches just extrapolate their starters' current run time?

Not with 82 games and in the current timespan. The star players also will end up playing 10+ playoff games so that's a lot of wear and tear.
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,357

Post#47 » by tdotrep2 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:03 am

I wouldn't mind 44 minutes got pre season, not regular season.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using RealGM Forums mobile app
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#48 » by Kevin Willis » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:19 pm

Jarret Jack is not a fan. That's not good, plus less AD revenue.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#49 » by Indeed » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:29 pm

Too short.
I think 48 mins is good if not more.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,283

Post#50 » by ruckus » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:43 pm

If they wanted to get really radical, they could make each game a "series". Games will be 6 minutes each. Win 3 out of 5 and you get the W. This will ensure that the stars stay on the court and that it's always "crunch-time" basketball. Actual playing time would end up being a total of 30 minutes (unless there are ties). Of course, there will be personnel ramifications as you probably wouldn't need more than 10 players per team, maybe less. However, this will also enable the NBA to create a real tier 2 league.

On the other hand, I came up with this idea in 5 minutes so, fire away.
theSkinny
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,277

Post#51 » by theSkinny » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:45 pm

Increasing rosters to 20 players, each team has a farm team.

Problem solved
pbj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,757

Post#52 » by pbj » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:50 pm

joeyt618 wrote:
JN wrote:My solution is for split screen advertising on all free throw attempts during the first 43 minutes of a game. That would probably be fairly effective ad placement and revenue for the broadcasters. They could then offset the increased revenue with less media timeouts. You get a shorter game with similar media revenue.

As a viewer would you be that pissed if they showed split screen ad's during free throw attempts for the first 3 and a half quarters? Especially if this reduced other TV timeouts?

Interesting idea, but I don't think it would work. Tv timeouts are there because it guarantees the advertisers get their set number of commercials in their particular time slots. The number of free throws vary per game, so if it's a low fouling game, you won't have enough minutes to fulfil the paying advertisers.

Sent from my C6906 using RealGM Forums mobile app

They kind of do it already anyway, you see it on the TNT/ABC casts a lot, they zoom out and throw some overlay on the screen of sitcom characters, and then Marv or whoever reads out some pitch "This summer on ABC.. blah blah blah.." while the game is still in the background, but it's usually an ad for something on their own network.

Anyway, I wouldn't object if they expanded that to a picture-in-picture type thing with a full screen ad.
gutobr
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,222

Post#53 » by gutobr » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:36 pm

stupid idea i ever seen

this and that shirt instead jersey.

maybe they want girls using skirt in WNBA too, the circus will be complete.
Lunchpailhero1
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,105

Post#54 » by Lunchpailhero1 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:16 pm

Pop must have pushed hard for this lol

Return to Toronto Raptors