ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Tristan Thomson action sexist or not?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Is Tristan's action sexist?

1) Yes
19%
2) No
81%

Total votes: 195

ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Re: OT: Tristan Thomson action sexist or not? 

Post#261 » by ontnut » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:17 pm

Now that she's come out and said that it's NBD and they are cool with each other, cue the "Just because she's ok with it, doesn't mean the action is not sexist" arguments. :lol:

Honestly though, this reminds me a lot of other arguments we've had regarding racism, where white people in the media get disproportionately upset about, and condemn, some pseudo-racial remark; whereas the other population doesn't really see the big issue. After a certain point, it becomes more racist/sexist to actually get riled up about and condemn the act than it is to accept that there are differences between races and sexes, and their feelings of what constitutes racism/sexism. It can be viewed as "the white male still trying to exert his dominance over others by telling them what they should or shouldn't be offended about" as if others are unable to think or act for themselves.
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#262 » by IMAN5 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:39 pm

Didn't Lowry kiss a ref on the head once? We should suspend him for sexual assault on a coworker.
instagram.com/510movement
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#263 » by Anatomize » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:37 am

IMAN5 wrote:Didn't Lowry kiss a ref on the head once? We should suspend him for sexual assault on a coworker.

No but you see, he clearly didn't want to put his dick in that ref.
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#264 » by IMAN5 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:57 pm

Anatomize wrote:
IMAN5 wrote:Didn't Lowry kiss a ref on the head once? We should suspend him for sexual assault on a coworker.

No but you see, he clearly didn't want to put his dick in that ref.

And you're telling me based off a playful inside joke you know for a fact Tristan Thompson was trying to put his in that girl? :crazy: :noway:
instagram.com/510movement
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#265 » by Anatomize » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:38 pm

......sigh right over your head
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Post#266 » by Clay Davis » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:10 pm

It's pretty obvious to me that they're friends.
But people like getting riled up and, instead of seeing it as an action between Tristan Thompson the human and the other human reporter, they think of it as an action between men as a whole and women as a whole (no pun intended :falloff: ) .
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
Ari_Emanuel
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,835

Post#267 » by Ari_Emanuel » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:24 pm

ontnut wrote:Now that she's come out and said that it's NBD and they are cool with each other, cue the "Just because she's ok with it, doesn't mean the action is not sexist" arguments. :lol:

Honestly though, this reminds me a lot of other arguments we've had regarding racism, where white people in the media get disproportionately upset about, and condemn, some pseudo-racial remark; whereas the other population doesn't really see the big issue. After a certain point, it becomes more racist/sexist to actually get riled up about and condemn the act than it is to accept that there are differences between races and sexes, and their feelings of what constitutes racism/sexism. It can be viewed as "the white male still trying to exert his dominance over others by telling them what they should or shouldn't be offended about" as if others are unable to think or act for themselves.

Some valid points here.

My argument about Tristan's actions being sexist took a pragmatic stance rather than a moral one. To me there was nothing morally wrong with what he did i.e. flirting and a light kiss on the head aren't inherently sexist... however the fact he did it on camera and while the reporter was working made her particularly vulnerable in that situation to the perception of the whole scene by her coworkers and the general public. Therefore, I felt it unwise for Tristan to do what he did.
neurotik wrote:
Raps Maniac wrote:
Risk101 wrote:Inb4 the ass jokes.

But that's his downside.

No thats his backside.

Lowry's upside is mental and psychological.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,505

Post#268 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:39 pm

More creepy than sexist. I think TT was trying to come off as cute but he failed miserably.

We've seen players mix it up before with male reporters/refs, whether it's a kiss or a pat on the backside. I don't think it was appropriate, but I'm also not going to pretend this was the worst thing ever which has sent female reporters back 50 years.
Ari_Emanuel
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,835

Post#269 » by Ari_Emanuel » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:59 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:More creepy than sexist. I think TT was trying to come off as cute but he failed miserably.

We've seen players mix it up before with male reporters/refs, whether it's a kiss or a pat on the backside. I don't think it was appropriate, but I'm also not going to pretend this was the worst thing ever which has sent female reporters back 50 years.

She was smiling genuinely from ear to ear and her voice cracked a happy nervous rather than a threatened or angry nervous. I'd say he succeeded. Maybe our own opinions are colouring our perception of what happened...
neurotik wrote:
Raps Maniac wrote:
Risk101 wrote:Inb4 the ass jokes.

But that's his downside.

No thats his backside.

Lowry's upside is mental and psychological.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#270 » by ontnut » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:22 pm

Ari_Emanuel wrote:
ontnut wrote:Now that she's come out and said that it's NBD and they are cool with each other, cue the "Just because she's ok with it, doesn't mean the action is not sexist" arguments. :lol:

Some valid points here.

My argument about Tristan's actions being sexist took a pragmatic stance rather than a moral one. To me there was nothing morally wrong with what he did i.e. flirting and a light kiss on the head aren't inherently sexist... however the fact he did it on camera and while the reporter was working made her particularly vulnerable in that situation to the perception of the whole scene by her coworkers and the general public. Therefore, I felt it unwise for Tristan to do what he did.

I think this still reflects a bit on my point of people being overly gung-ho about condemning what's bad for people of different backgrounds/sex/profession etc. If it's sexist insofar as him doing it in front of her coworkers and peers made her feel uncomfortable, then it should also be said that it is sexist when women give men a little love tap or shoulder punch, or tell them to man-up, or be a man. I know of at least a few interviews where female reporters said something to make the male athlete/celebrity uncomfortable, and it's just blown off or laughed off by the guy. It can make the men feel vulnerable, open to jokes from their peers, and uncomfortable especially due to their lack of recourse or retaliation options. As Patrice says, women get to be inapproriate all the time at the workplace, and get away with things that if a guy did, he'd be in HR in a second. "Men can get in trouble for telling a woman in the office that they look beautiful today. That's how messed up the game is". In some ways, men are sometimes forced to shelve or hide their natural emotions and desires and feelings because it may offend women - there's something off about that, and you could argue that it's reverse sexism to tell a man not to compliment or look at a sexy woman, because it makes her feel uncomfortable. Well the man is now uncomfortable and awkward now too because he can't acknowledge the existence of that woman in the way that he naturally feels, without coming off as sexist/predatory/horny etc.

I don't know where the line is, (and this is a lot of verbal diarrhea), and I don't know if there's a logically possible world where men and women can be both different and equal, I'm just saying that sometimes the PC-ness of the modern media can actually cause or represent more sexism/racism etc., than the act itself. .
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,214

Post#271 » by LLJ » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:47 pm

kalel123 wrote:Like I said, it's a lot more creepy how this Kelly Dwyer jumped all over this non-issue to criticize Tristan Thompson. This guy just watches something on TV, starts a rant about how the reporter feels without any actual insight into how she really feels/felt. Either he's got a vendetta against Thompson, trying to get more clicks on his article (probably figures with so much publicity domestic violence has gotten, that this is a new thing to be overly sensitive on similar subjects), or just plain crazy and creepy stalker-like...or all of the above.

Now, I'm just gonna take whatever this dude has to say with a huge grain of salt.

Dwyer has long had a rep for making mountains out of molehills.

It's actually less creepy than Adrian Brody planting one on Halle Berry's lips at the Oscars a few years back. I've seen athletes joke-kiss male reporters before too. And this was on the side of the reporter's head, which is definitely more obviously a "joke kiss".

Return to Toronto Raptors