ImageImageImageImageImage

Predict the starting fives stats for the season

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Thespianoid
RealGM
And1: 78,794

Re: Predict the starting fives stats for the season 

Post#21 » by Thespianoid » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:54 am

aw8 wrote:
iVC15 wrote:ill go first

Lowry - 16.7/8.1/4.5
Demar - 23.4/5.0/4.1
Ross - 12.2/1.3/3
Amir - 9.9/1.3/7
Jonas - 15/1.1/9.7

I don't see JV getting more than 12 points per game. Casey said himself that he does not see him as much of an offensive option, rather; he sees JV as stopper and rebounder than offensive option. Casey said that he already has enough options on the offense, thus i do not see JV improve much in the offense.

I'm sorry, but Casey is plain wrong on that. This is simply not the approach to take with a developing player. NEVER force a young player into pre-determined, limited roles. That's like remolding a square peg into a round peg because you have an existing round hole. No, you expand that round hole and make it square. Why take away when you can expand? What kind of coaching is that? I'm sorry, but that's a recipe for underwhelming results.

Plus, enough options on offense? What, DeMar/Lowry/Lou Williams? Pff that's no way to structure an offensive attack. All perimeter... SMDH. And I never use that phrase.

I apologize if it seems like I'm arguing with you, I'm not. I actually agree with you. I'm just incredibly fed up at the approach this team has toward basketball. On this team, I can never see Jonas getting the respect and freedom to score more than 12-13 points a game. They seem locked into their perimeter first, second, and third mentality. Bigs are cleanup, dirty work guys. **** **** is what it is. Absolutely **** ****. And it starts from the coaching staff.

Unless the team shows they are willing to change their offensive approach by involving and respecting the bigs as a key part of the offense, this team will get nowhere. Count on it. A team that does not share the ball and look out for each other is not a successful team.
Clementine9 wrote:Missed shots are unfortunate, but it's the trends throughout the game that matter.

Choker wrote:The swing in how Raptors fans have supported and turned on Powell is a good case study of human behavior.
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,154

Post#22 » by PoundTown » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:06 pm

Thespianoid wrote:
aw8 wrote:

Lowry - 16.7/8.1/4.5
Demar - 23.4/5.0/4.1
Ross - 12.2/1.3/3
Amir - 9.9/1.3/7
Jonas - 15/1.1/9.7

I don't see JV getting more than 12 points per game. Casey said himself that he does not see him as much of an offensive option, rather; he sees JV as stopper and rebounder than offensive option. Casey said that he already has enough options on the offense, thus i do not see JV improve much in the offense.

I'm sorry, but Casey is plain wrong on that. This is simply not the approach to take with a developing player. NEVER force a young player into pre-determined, limited roles. That's like remolding a square peg into a round peg because you have an existing round hole. No, you expand that round hole and make it square. Why take away when you can expand? What kind of coaching is that? I'm sorry, but that's a recipe for underwhelming results.

Plus, enough options on offense? What, DeMar/Lowry/Lou Williams? Pff that's no way to structure an offensive attack. All perimeter... SMDH. And I never use that phrase.

I apologize if it seems like I'm arguing with you, I'm not. I actually agree with you. I'm just incredibly fed up at the approach this team has toward basketball. On this team, I can never see Jonas getting the respect and freedom to score more than 12-13 points a game. They seem locked into their perimeter first, second, and third mentality. Bigs are cleanup, dirty work guys. **** **** is what it is. Absolutely **** ****. And it starts from the coaching staff.

Unless the team shows they are willing to change their offensive approach by involving and respecting the bigs as a key part of the offense, this team will get nowhere. Count on it. A team that does not share the ball and look out for each other is not a successful team.

I agree with you. Didn't see the Casey quote, but the improvement JV has made in the post over the summer can not be ignored and he should get a couple more touches a game. He is very efficient, ever improving, and in his early 20's. This is still a growth year for the Raps in my opinion, one in which I hope to see a tight 2nd round series. Next year is the year they start making noise, but it has to happen primarily internally. Most importantly with JV, and second with Ross. Down the line, Bruno and Bebe will fill gaps departed from free agency.
Da_leg10n
Sophomore
And1: 104

Post#23 » by Da_leg10n » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:35 pm

KL- 17.5/4RPG/7.5APG/1.9SPG
DD- 23/4.5RPG/4.0APG
TR- 14.5/3RPG/2APG/1.8SPG
AJ- 10/7.8RPG/1.8BPG
JV- 13/9.8RPG/1.3BPG

that comes up to 78 points by the starters, now im not sure if thats gonna happen every night and I see only amir going down in ppg tbh, and if anyone is to take less shots it should be amir. Summer three for the cringe
OvertimeNO
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,663

Post#24 » by OvertimeNO » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:47 pm

Thespianoid wrote:
aw8 wrote:

Lowry - 16.7/8.1/4.5
Demar - 23.4/5.0/4.1
Ross - 12.2/1.3/3
Amir - 9.9/1.3/7
Jonas - 15/1.1/9.7

Except that AFAIK, Casey has never actually said that he doesn't see JV as an offensive option. Merely that he wants him to improve on his defence, because he has the potential to be better than he currently is.

But for some reason people like to believe that "focus on defence" means "abandon all offence", which is obviously what every championship team has done ever. Get a bunch of one way players who can only work on one thing at a time.
"If it ain't broke, don't break it." - Charles Oakley
Thespianoid
RealGM
And1: 78,794

Post#25 » by Thespianoid » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:32 pm

OvertimeNO wrote:
Except that AFAIK, Casey has never actually said that he doesn't see JV as an offensive option. Merely that he wants him to improve on his defence, because he has the potential to be better than he currently is.

But for some reason people like to believe that "focus on defence" means "abandon all offence", which is obviously what every championship team has done ever. Get a bunch of one way players who can only work on one thing at a time.

Of course I'd like JV's defense to be better, and I like that the team is pushing him to improve in that regard.

So no, I don't think "Focus on defense" means "abandon all offense". But the team's actions indicate that they intend to do so with JV.

Either that or they just don't want to utilize the bigs, which still puts them in the wrong. I don't see any situation in which ignoring bigs on offense is a sound offensive/developmental strategy.
Clementine9 wrote:Missed shots are unfortunate, but it's the trends throughout the game that matter.

Choker wrote:The swing in how Raptors fans have supported and turned on Powell is a good case study of human behavior.
Landomar
Bench Warmer
And1: 373

Post#26 » by Landomar » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:47 pm

Lowry 16.2 / 7.9 / 4.5
DeRozan 21.3 / 4.2 / 4.1
Ross 12.5 / 1.2 / 3.2
A.Johnson 9.5 / 1.6 / 7.3
Valanciunas 13.5 / 0.9 / 9.7
-----------
Patterson 8.7 / 1.5 / 5.5
Vasquez 8.6 / 4.2 / 2.0
Williams 12.7 / 3.2 / 1.8
J.Johnson 6.7 / 2.1 / 2.9
Hansbrough 4.2/ 0.2 / 4.0

That's 113.9 pts/game, and doesn't include the 3rd stringers, but keep in mind that everyone's averages always get inflated a bit due to injuries to their teammates throughout the season.
Young_Buc
General Manager
And1: 9,130

Post#27 » by Young_Buc » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:48 pm

sca wrote:
artsncrafts wrote:I dont see Val getting 10 rebounds....I really hope he does as our team is horrible at rebounding.

FWIW we haven't been horrible at all. 11th in ORB% and 12th in DRB% last year. We were above average.

If we want to be considered a top 7-8 team 11th 12th in rebounding isn't going to cut it.
Young_Buc
General Manager

Post#28 » by Young_Buc » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:49 pm

Starting 5 stats:

JV: 14/10/1
Amir: 8/6/1
Ross: 13/4/2
Demar: 25/4/5
Lowry: 18/4/8
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#29 » by Jstock12 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:52 pm

Lowry 17p/7.5a/4.5r
DeRozan 22p/4a/4r
Ross 13.5p/1.5a/2r
Amir 9p/2a/7r
Jonas 14.5p/1.5a/10.5r

I'd really like this prediction of Jonas to come true, that would mean the team is more willing to involve Jonas into the offense.
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#30 » by Throwback24 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:06 pm

JV 11/8.5/1.5

Don't expect much from him on this team to be honest.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
Truthrising
RealGM
And1: 7,966

Post#31 » by Truthrising » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:11 pm

Thespianoid wrote:
OvertimeNO wrote:

Of course I'd like JV's defense to be better, and I like that the team is pushing him to improve in that regard.
So no, I don't think "Focus on defense" means "abandon all offense". But the team's actions indicate that they intend to do so with JV.

Either that or they just don't want to utilize the bigs, which still puts them in the wrong. I don't see any situation in which ignoring bigs on offense is a sound offensive/developmental strategy.
Masai's to do list
Trade - Ibaka
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,754

Post#32 » by Badonkadonk » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:54 pm

Young_Buc wrote:
sca wrote:
artsncrafts wrote:I dont see Val getting 10 rebounds....I really hope he does as our team is horrible at rebounding.

FWIW we haven't been horrible at all. 11th in ORB% and 12th in DRB% last year. We were above average.

If we want to be considered a top 7-8 team 11th 12th in rebounding isn't going to cut it.

Not really. You can't look at RB% in isolation and predict "good" or "bad" overall, there are too many other factors.

The Heat had the 4th worst RB% in the league last year. The Clippers were 19th. There were a bunch of other playoff teams of varying caliber who were also "bad".

The Spurs were 13th overall, just behind the Raps who were 12th. Team efficiency on offense, philosophy on transition and other things will help determine if you sacrifice in that area for gains elsewhere.

Overall, I'm not concerned about the Raps with respect to rebounding - it's not a deficiency.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,843

Post#33 » by JShuttlesworth » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:42 am

Points/Rebounds/Assists

Lowry: 17.1/5.1/7.3
DeRozan: 22.4/4.7/4.8
Ross: 12.7/3.6/1.7
A.Johnson: 9.4/6.1/1.2
Valanciunas: 12.5/9.4/.7

I don't really see any big spikes in scoring on the starting line. JV and Ross being the biggest jumps, while everyone else remaining about the same. Some people expect Demar to have a big leap in scoring - I dont see it - I do expect him to get increasingly more efficient while putting up similar points as last year.

Im expecting big things from our young guys. In Ross, I expect him to get more consistent in his role. For JV I think he is going to be a double double machine this year. I dont necessarily think hes going to average 10 boards a game but I do think hes going to be a beast on the boards.
justinmacd
Senior
And1: 525

Post#34 » by justinmacd » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:16 am

I don't understand why you guys are so down on JV's offense,,, His offensive rating was basically at an elite level during the last two months of the season last year... and he's only going to get better.

He easily has the ability to average 15-16 a game this year.
ReaLiez
General Board Mock Draft Champ
And1: 3,246

Post#35 » by ReaLiez » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:48 am

KLow - 18 5 8
DD - 23 5 5
TRoss - 12 3 2
Amir 8 7 2
JV 10 10 1

Rounded Up
Justice
sca
Head Coach
And1: 9,172

Post#36 » by sca » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:51 am

Young_Buc wrote:
sca wrote:

You don't have to be top x at every single category to become a top x team.
RaptorsLife on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:45 pm wrote:
nabbs wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:Nurse can’t be our head coach

Why not? Who is your choice?

Def Messina

RaptorsLife on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm wrote:Messina sucks
Young_Buc
General Manager

Post#37 » by Young_Buc » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:23 pm

sca wrote:
Young_Buc wrote:
sca wrote:FWIW we haven't been horrible at all. 11th in ORB% and 12th in DRB% last year. We were above average.

You don't have to be top x at every single category to become a top x team.

I know, but as a team who MAY not have top end talent... we have to make up for it in the hustle categories like rebounding and defense.
NorthernNemesis
Senior
And1: 707

Post#38 » by NorthernNemesis » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:36 pm

Really no one thinks Demars gonna hit 25ppg?

Return to Toronto Raptors