ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA GM Survey: Raps division champs, JV to break out

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Thespianoid
RealGM
And1: 78,794

Re: NBA GM Survey: Raps division champs, JV to break out 

Post#41 » by Thespianoid » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:06 pm

The main thing I dislike is the short leash Jonas has with turnovers or bad plays, compared to the perimeter players. He's not allowed to make mistakes, while other guys can make bad decision after bad decision and still stay on the court/get possessions. Why is that? If the perimeter guys are veterans and can have a longer leash, why are they given more leeway when they make poor decisions? Shouldn't they be held MORE accountable because they're veterans, and should know better?

Worst thing is many posters still agree (although this thread is evidence that it's changing), saying that he has to prove himself first. Well...if he doesn't get the chances to work through mistakes he's never going to prove himself.
Clementine9 wrote:Missed shots are unfortunate, but it's the trends throughout the game that matter.

Choker wrote:The swing in how Raptors fans have supported and turned on Powell is a good case study of human behavior.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,730

Post#42 » by Duffman100 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:12 pm

Add in the fact that this team needs a 3rd threat in the starting lineup...you need to give JV the looks and touches to feel comfortable with that.

He'll give you easy, high % buckets. You just have to be patient!
Scraptor
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,884

Post#43 » by Scraptor » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:17 pm

Pretty tough to break out on 8 shots a game.

As for JV needing to "vastly improve his efficiency", he had the second highest TS% of the regulars, after Amir, so that doesn't make much sense.

But hey, why run plays down low when you can shoot contested jump shots?
wolfv
Analyst
And1: 2,631

Post#44 » by wolfv » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:25 pm

I don't know, I think this is just Casey trying to get Jonas more interested on defense. I really think he's going to be established as the 3rd option behind Lowry/DD. For a young center going into his third season I think they've done a good job with his development
ballocks
Junior
And1: 156

Post#45 » by ballocks » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:41 pm

Re: 76.9%, I’m surprised it’s not unanimous. Yes, we're talking about only one season but the cultural funk plaguing the organization is by all accounts a thing of the past. Derozan’s established himself as an All-Star and gold medalist, Lowry’s on the brink of elite, Val and Ross a year older, coaches and management a year wiser- while the continuity and depth can’t possibly hurt the cause. The idea of a ‘fluke’ is imo more justifiable when it concerns top-heavy rosters riding one or two stars, not teams like the Raptors who do so much (maybe too much?) by committee. Couple that with the fact that the Nets are presently on life support, the Celts and 76ers unproven or worse, and you’re left with the Knicks as the only plausible threat. The Knicks.

I guess that’s just my take but I have to wonder sometimes. Of course anything can still happen, nobody ‘knows’ if the Raps will win the division, but we’re setting expectations here based on track record. With the dismantling of the Heat, the return of Rose (not to mention the Durant injury), the Raptors may well have more elbow room in their division than anyone else. They could easily be frontrunners by the greatest margin in the league. I’m surprised it’s not reflected in the survey. It’s odd that there are seven GM’s who don’t expect them to repeat; and yet others who feel the fight for the crown will be more competitive in the Atlantic than any of the WC divisions. Despite last year’s narrow four-game spread, imo those both seem like wild statements today.

Mind you, even I don’t know how the Raptors will fare in the playoffs. It would make sense if that’s what this survey was about. Maybe it would be unanimous if the Raps held serve last May, as they should have done. But as long as they’ve advanced past the “happy to be here” stage, I fully expect them to have the Atlantic in their pocket by mid-March. It’s hard to feel otherwise imo.

Either way, this season should be tight.

peace
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,185

Post#46 » by Tofubeque » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:30 pm

cold_cowboy wrote:Jonas to break out?

Jonas will have a break out year defending inbound plays.
props Turbozone
cold_cowboy
Veteran
And1: 2,220

Post#47 » by cold_cowboy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:37 pm

Tofubeque wrote:

he does have the skills..
Thespianoid
RealGM

Post#48 » by Thespianoid » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:38 pm

cold_cowboy wrote:
Tofubeque wrote:

he does have the skills..

Rookie Jonas at inbound defense/mobility peak.
Clementine9 wrote:Missed shots are unfortunate, but it's the trends throughout the game that matter.

Choker wrote:The swing in how Raptors fans have supported and turned on Powell is a good case study of human behavior.
UnderdogRaptors
RealGM
And1: 44,305

Post#49 » by UnderdogRaptors » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:43 pm

Lol its not Casey ruining Jv's development he's simply not a good option right now and we have better offensive players on our team than JV he needs to be the defensive anchor first and foremost
BC_IS_A_PLAYA wrote:jonas sucks, his dad should have got a vasectomy
Thespianoid
RealGM

Post#50 » by Thespianoid » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:37 pm

UnderdogRaptors wrote:Lol its not Casey ruining Jv's development he's simply not a good option right now and we have better offensive players on our team than JV he needs to be the defensive anchor first and foremost

I would argue he's quite a good option now, easily good enough to be a consistently involved 3rd option. Especially because this team's offense is too perimeter-based, and therefore easier to defend than one that involves the bigs as well. Defenses know the shot will most likely come from a perimeter player, and giving defenses less options to think about defending makes their job easier. That's exactly the opposite of what you want to do as an offense.

Also, when the perimeter options begin to stagnate offensive possessions as we've seen time and time again, why continue hoisting from the perimeter, or going to options that clearly haven't worked? Work the ball elsewhere, and on this team that means involving the bigs, especially JV.

So while he does obviously need to improve his defense, it does not and should not mean limited offensive involvement. That's just poor development strategy, and a recipe for stagnation. I'm not saying force feed him and make him the #1 option with free reign, just involve him consistently in the offensive gameplan. Build his confidence there, get him comfortable. It's really an incredibly simple change in the whole scheme of things.

UnderdogRaptors
RealGM
And1: 44,305

Post#51 » by UnderdogRaptors » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:08 am

Thespianoid wrote:
UnderdogRaptors wrote:Lol its not Casey ruining Jv's development he's simply not a good option right now and we have better offensive players on our team than JV he needs to be the defensive anchor first and foremost

I would argue he's quite a good option now, easily good enough to be a consistently involved 3rd option. Especially because this team's offense is too perimeter-based, and therefore easier to defend than one that involves the bigs as well. Defenses know the shot will most likely come from a perimeter player, and giving defenses less options to think about defending makes their job easier. That's exactly the opposite of what you want to do as an offense.

Also, when the perimeter options begin to stagnate offensive possessions as we've seen time and time again, why continue hoisting from the perimeter, or going to options that clearly haven't worked? Work the ball elsewhere, and on this team that means involving the bigs, especially JV.

So while he does obviously need to improve his defense, it does not and should not mean limited offensive involvement. That's just poor development strategy, and a recipe for stagnation. I'm not saying force feed him and make him the #1 option with free reign, just involve him consistently in the offensive gameplan. Build his confidence there, get him comfortable. It's really an incredibly simple change in the whole scheme of things.

One thing I have noticed is that Demar specifically shakes off JV when he wants the ball, maybe he gets frustrated with him at times but JV needs to take full advantage of the touches he gets and make quick and decisive moves fast, if they double he has to kick it out and if they play straight up try to draw a foul or go for that hook he loves to do. We need that low post presence bad cuz I agree we are too perimeter oriented.
BC_IS_A_PLAYA wrote:jonas sucks, his dad should have got a vasectomy
theSkinny
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,277

Post#52 » by theSkinny » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:43 am

Maybe .. It's a smokescreen,

Come opening night .. Casey releases is the chain.
You don't give up all our offensive plans in pre season for other teams to scout.

Return to Toronto Raptors