ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Woj: Utah Jazz Claim Jordan Hamilton Off Waivers

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Ganan23
Banned User
And1: 2,059

Re: OT: Woj: Utah Jazz Claim Jordan Hamilton Off Waivers 

Post#41 » by Ganan23 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:25 pm

Dr Octagon wrote:I think we'll go 0-2 against Jazz this season.

2 out of our 9 losses to the Jazz won't be so bad
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,592

Post#42 » by Ackshun » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:22 pm

CoachJReturns wrote:
Ackshun wrote:Landry fields contract forever haunting us.

The legacy of idiotic BC moves is almost over. 1 more year. Just one more year.

I didn't mind the majority of his moves. This one was just plain dumb. I have no excuses here
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,534

Post#43 » by Rapcity_11 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:40 pm

ontnut wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
ontnut wrote:Meh. Utah is one of the worst teams in the league and their wing rotation (or their whole team) looks pretty puke worthy at this point.
SG: Alec Burks, Dante Exum
SF: Gordan Hayward, Jeremy Evans, Rodney Hood, Joe Ingles.
Hamilton might actually be their 3rd or 4th best wing this year, so this actually makes sense for them. Wouldn't have made sense for us to keep him though, as he'd be what, our 5th/6th wing?

How is that puke worthy? Hayward is overpaid but a really nice player. Burks is solid. Exum has crazy potential. Rodney Hood is a good shooter off the bench. Not great, but a decent wing group.

Compared to most of the league's wing rotations, especially playoff teams, that is absolutely puke worthy. Hayward is good, but certainly not a star. He shot 41% from the field last year and 30% from 3, and his fg% has trended down by 2% every single year since his rookie season. Burks isn't good enough yet to be a starter on a playoff team, even in the East, and so far has only proven to be a mediocre volume shooter in Hayward's vein imo. The rest are unproven or fringe NBA rotation players.
I'd rather have the wing rotations of every other team in the league, except maybe Philly, Detroit, maybe Atlanta, maybe Orlando. Easily bottom 5 rotation in the league at this point. If Exum breaks out, sure, they move up the list, but he's really young and may be 2 years away from truly making an impact in the league.

And The Kings? The Bucks? The Lakers?

All worse. And most of them aren't even close. Puke worthy remains an absurd statement.

(And FG% is useless)
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,026

Post#44 » by ontnut » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:17 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
ontnut wrote:Compared to most of the league's wing rotations, especially playoff teams, that is absolutely puke worthy. Hayward is good, but certainly not a star. He shot 41% from the field last year and 30% from 3, and his fg% has trended down by 2% every single year since his rookie season. Burks isn't good enough yet to be a starter on a playoff team, even in the East, and so far has only proven to be a mediocre volume shooter in Hayward's vein imo. The rest are unproven or fringe NBA rotation players.
I'd rather have the wing rotations of every other team in the league, except maybe Philly, Detroit, maybe Atlanta, maybe Orlando. Easily bottom 5 rotation in the league at this point. If Exum breaks out, sure, they move up the list, but he's really young and may be 2 years away from truly making an impact in the league.

And The Kings? The Bucks? The Lakers?

All worse. And most of them aren't even close. Puke worthy remains an absurd statement.

(And FG% is useless)

It's close, but yes, I'd rather have Rudy Gay (who rightly or wrongly made Team USA) and Ben Mclemore over Hayward and Burks. The rest of their rotations is pretty much equal, prospects and mediocre role players.

Bucks can play Parker at the 3 for some stretches, even without considering Parker, I'd rather have Greek Freak, Khris Middleton (12/4/2/1stl per game last year on decent percentages, and just put up 17/6/2/1blk in the first game!) and serviceable players in Dudley, Bayless and Mayo - I'd EASILY take that over the Jazz.

And say what you will about Kobe's decline, but if healthy, I'll take Kobe, Swaggy P, Wes Johnson, Xavier Henry and Wayne Ellington over the Jazz's lineup this year.

Of course FG% is useless when you're trying to big up a player whose FG% is low. What other metric would you like to use for this comparison? Or is it the eye-test that we're using here? Hayward projects to have an Iguodala type career on offense, a stat sheet stuffer who's not really good enough to be the 1st or 2nd option on a contender (maybe not even the 3rd depending on how his shot goes this year), and an average career on D, if that.

Maybe in 3 years time I'll have to eat my words and both Hayward and Burks become all stars, and the rest of the bench wings become 5-10 year role players in the league, but I certainly wouldn't bet on it. There's a reason why even with a decent to good front court, Utah has been and still projects to be one of the worst teams in the league. (Trey Burke takes some blame too, but he's a second year player)

Think about it this way: Even if I grant you that there are maybe 6 teams that have worse wing rotations, if half of the teams that don't even make the playoffs wouldn't trade their wing rotation for yours, that's pretty bad. If you offered that wing rotation to the Raptors, they'd laugh so hard they'd puke. Puke-worthy.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,026

Post#45 » by ontnut » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:07 pm

Lol, now that Burks has a 10+ mil/year contract, any changes to your opinion, Rapcity? That's a max and a $10+ mil for Hayward/Burks moving forward. Getting that uneasy feeling in your tummy yet?
Mack11
RealGM
And1: 56,989

Post#46 » by Mack11 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:13 pm

Jazz doing big things. Hamilton and burks going to elevate that team to the top of the west for years to come

Return to Toronto Raptors