ImageImageImageImageImage

Different Grievis since the contract

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,487

Re: Different Grievis since the contract 

Post#21 » by Bankai » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:27 pm

El Bow wrote:
right between the eyes wrote:Grievis was also the last of our 3 FAs to sign. I think his pride took a hit after masai's initial lowball offer. I like the chip on his shoulder but just don't wanna hear about it all year

Wasn't there a delay because Vasquez and his agent wanted 3 yrs but Masai would only give 2?

He wanted more money and years, but Masai would only give him more money on less years. Vasquez is happy with it cause it shows how "ambitious he is" and it gives him motivation to perform before Durant comes.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#22 » by vaff87 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:33 pm

People reading too much into things, per always.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,003

Post#23 » by JaysRule15 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:39 pm

So let me get this straight. You want Greivis to come out to the media and say that's he satisfied with his current role and that he's happy being a bench player? Is that really the kind of attitude you want a player on your team to have? Do you think Masai or Casey would want Greivis to have that kind of attitude? Seriously guys, aspiring high is a good-not selfish-quality in an athlete. Next time DeMar comes out and says that he isn't happy with his current role and wants to get better, are you going to call him selfish too?
ReaLiez
General Board Mock Draft Champ
And1: 3,246

Post#24 » by ReaLiez » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:41 pm

I like his drive for personal and team/collective success
Justice
Inklink
RealGM
And1: 19,214

Post#25 » by Inklink » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:45 pm

Woah. He didn't say absolutely anything worthy of this interpretation.
For lease.
team edward
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,981

Post#26 » by team edward » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:53 pm

I believe his quote was presented in a manner that misconstrued it's meaning. The quote in the paper that I read was "It's hard playing behind [Kyle Lowry]..." The square brackets meant GV didn't actually say Lowry's name. Saying its hard to be a bench player when you are confident in how you are playing is not controversial, every player feels that way. And GV has been a starter, even leading the league in assists, so when he says he is putting his personal desires aside for the purposes of winning, he means it.
yodude
Senior
And1: 1,794

Post#27 » by yodude » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:53 pm

The only thing I disagree with his interview is that he said we had the best reporters... :lol:
snomeister
Starter
And1: 1,853

Post#28 » by snomeister » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:57 pm

He's been saying these kind of things since he got here. This isn't a big deal.
north-of-border
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#29 » by north-of-border » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:11 am

Crazy theory:

Point Guard is the deepest position in the NBA. No one was gonna give him what Toronto did, so he resigned..... Now he can force his way out with guaranteed big money and play for another team.

Why would other teams give up assets when they could have signed him at the same price? .... Well Raps would have to sweeten the pot.

This sound possible?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RealGM Forums mobile app
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#30 » by Rapsalot » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:20 am

I like what he said. Sounds like J Jack when he was here never had issue then.

It is always true your top 2 guys being KLow and DD have earned more room to make mistakes. Amir too! This was not the case 2-3 years ago. I would expect we won't be quite as healthy as last year so I could see GV starting 20 games and Lou backing him up with Ross spending more time at SG.

I would take his personality over Bargs anyday. Come in out of shape, start or bench whatever just pay me to shoot and not much else.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Post#31 » by Dalek » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:20 am

Grievis is an emotional guy who just speaks his mind. Most players are a bit more bland and just stick to the media PR speak as they are coached. He gives you a perspective on how most role players feel. I think everyone in the NBA feels like they could start and all have a hard time swallowing their pride.

Grievis did lead the league in assists one year and has made big shots through out his career. You need to play with an edge if you are a bench guy. It's not like Manu quietly accepted his bench role. He was quite vocal about his dissatisfaction early on in his career. GV got a short contract and a continued bench role, which is him sacrificing in some sense. I don't get the vibe that he would rock the boat, but how his minutes are managed with Lou Williams is a concern.

I have said it many times before, but GV should be getting near starter minutes 25-30 minutes, because when he is on the court the spacing and ball movement is better. We have a pretty big sample from last year that shows how good he was in clutch moments. Casey will have to figure out how to clean things up. My feeling is that we need to reduce James Johnson's minutes since he doesn't really have a necessity except when matching up with big wings like Melo or Lebron (even then his impact is limited).
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#32 » by whysoserious » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:30 am

right between the eyes wrote:I know it's only 1 game and my point is more about his personality than his play. But I was really unimpressed by his comments yesterday. For him to make those comments about how Demar and Kyle have more leeway than him in terms of making mistakes. He also said he could be a starter on other teams and how's it's also hard to play behind Kyle. For him to say this after game 1 is very selfish. Are we gonna hear this all year??? Why did he re-sign?? Maybe he can say these things closer to when he becomes a FA but one game in I'm put off. I loved grievis last year as he always so positive but if he keeps pushing this agenda it's gonna be a long year.

The guy has done nothing but pump the city of Toronto, the team and work with the guys and one little comment (possibly taken out of context as I haven't seen the interview itself) and you're turning on the guy?

Let's ignore months of what he's done or said or how he's acted, how he's working with the second unit and providing exactly what we need and freak out over a small interview 1 game in to the season.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#33 » by whysoserious » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:34 am

nahom1319 wrote:
right between the eyes wrote:I know it's only 1 game and my point is more about his personality than his play. But I was really unimpressed by his comments yesterday. For him to make those comments about how Demar and Kyle have more leeway than him in terms of making mistakes. He also said he could be a starter on other teams and how's it's also hard to play behind Kyle. For him to say this after game 1 is very selfish. Are we gonna hear this all year??? Why did he re-sign?? Maybe he can say these things closer to when he becomes a FA but one game in I'm put off. I loved grievis last year as he always so positive but if he keeps pushing this agenda it's gonna be a long year.

I also noticed when the players were getting called out at the start of the game Grevis didn't come out when his name was called. He waited around for announcer to say the words "ANNNND NOOOWWWW YOUR STARTERS!!!!!!" then and only then did he sneak over to the lineup of players and coaches.

There have been quite a few hints that Grevis has a selfish streak in him. I think he or his agent took note of Jose's attitude while here and is trying his damnest to impersonate him, but I don't buy it.

The conspiracies some of you will come up with are hilarious. Reminds me of when so many posters were trying to read in to TJ's facial expressions.
WigginsPlease
Banned User
And1: 96

Post#34 » by WigginsPlease » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:36 am

this is non-sense and a non-sense thread

These alligations sounds like the moronic articles you read from the National Enquirer.

BARRACK OBAMA cheating on Oprah?

Jennifer Aniston a terrorist?

One of the first things the guy says in the interview is I'm happy here. So drop this non-sense and starting stupid drama ****
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#35 » by Volcano » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:43 am

GV thinks he's making a sacrifice by coming off the bench..and he's willing to make that sacrifice

Problem is...he's not making any sacrifice. He's a bench player.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,785

Post#36 » by Dennis 37 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:53 am

Crap, can't we just have players who feel that their talent level is so low that they could only get a contract with the Craptors.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,487

Post#37 » by Bankai » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:00 am

Dennis 37 wrote:Crap, can't we just have players who feel that their talent level is so low that they could only get a contract with the Craptors.

Sadly in the past, even most scrubs felt that they had talent above the Raptors and just used this team as a stepping stone to get waived or bench warm elsewhere.
cammac
General Manager
And1: 6,216

Post#38 » by cammac » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:04 am

I'm not Geievis biggest fan but his comments are misconstrued in that he was saying the 2nd unit is better than some 1st units in the league and that is hard to argue with. If he does become a problem he can be easily moved.
He has had 2 chances as a starter in NO was OK and in SAC played poorly.
Salted Meat
Starter
And1: 1,572

Post#39 » by Salted Meat » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:05 am

Vasquez knew that if he re-signed here that he'd be playing a back-up role, and he still signed here.

He's just an honest guy who understands what it takes to win basketball games. He wants you, and I, and everyone to know he's a starter-calibre player in the league (as are a few of our other bench players), and that despite that, he's in Toronto because he loves it here and he loves the team and he wants to win.

That's an important mentality to have, because when you come into the game as a back-up, you have to belive that (a) you're better than your opponent, and that (b) if something should ever happen and you're thrust into a starting role, that you're good enough to take control of that spot.
kayliecee
Veteran
And1: 3,505

Post#40 » by kayliecee » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:10 am

I don't even know what to say about this post. If you ever want to see an antonym for disgruntled, watch that interview.
John Gibbons: "I have to do what's best for these guys and not what some bozo on RealGM thinks." (Paraphrasing)

Return to Toronto Raptors