ImageImageImageImageImage

Trouble with big frontcourts.

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Re: Trouble with big frontcourts. 

Post#121 » by vini_vidi_vici » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:20 pm

Indeed wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:
Hendrix wrote:
It isn't about catering to a team. We are a virtual lock to make the playoffs with a high seed. At this point, we don't really need to worry too much about making massive improvements to the team, so much as making adjustments to the team with playoff matchups in mind. Matchups in playoff series's can win or lose you a series.

Our ORTG, and DRTG against the 30 teams in the league is all well and good, but a team's expected ORTG,and DRTG vs 1 individual team is what matters in the playoffs. Chicago is a team that we stand a good chance at facing if we go far in the Eastern bracket. Keeping them in mind could be the difference between getting to the 3rd round instead of the 2nd. Or even to the finals instead of the 3rd.

Post defense, and defensive rebounding is important to our DRTG vs. some teams, like the Bulls, and Grizz. It is something that can be exploited, and hurt our overall DRTG. Like Duffman said, I don't see where the resistance comes from. If it's something that we can address with 1 simple small move, why no do it? It's not like we are talking about making over the entire team here. 1 series of getting pounded on the boards, or not getting pounded on the boards could make all the difference in the world.

Okay so who are we replacing with TH 1 for 1?? I mean otherwise were trading multiple players and then the team is changed in other ways. Again why I hate the rabbit holes, I hate fantasy trades.

Who is going to replace the 17.6 REB% from last year? Could it just be TH is slumping, and he will improve to career norms atleast, or even last years numbers??

This isnt about post defense, the team is 16th in PITP per 100 against.

They got outscored by 2 to CHI in the paint, and 8 by MEM. They didnt "destroy" the Raps inside. We lost to CHI because we bricked uncontested looks.

They are outscoring OPPs as a whole in the paint on the season by 1.3 PPG.

People want to make moves based on 2 teams. I just wanted a 2nd round birth at the beginning of the season, now ppl are advocating trading people to match up (hopefully better?) to a 1 team in the East, and a team in the West. Expectations need to be tempered I think, yes everything isnt perfect, but what team is?

We have a lot of expiring. We should trade Fields for something as well.
Meanwhile, I would prefer to upgrade our SF. We have a lot of PG/SG, and we should trade one for a 3+D SF.

FWIW I agree, I think we need more 3PT shooting too.
iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#122 » by Hendrix » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:21 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:Okay so who are we replacing with TH 1 for 1?? I mean otherwise were trading multiple players and then the team is changed in other ways. Again why I hate the rabbit holes, I hate fantasy trades.

Who is going to replace the 17.6 REB% from last year? Could it just be TH is slumping, and he will improve to career norms atleast, or even last years numbers??

They got outscored by 2 to CHI in the paint, and 8 by MEM. They didnt "destroy" the Raps inside. We lost to CHI because we bricked uncontested looks.

People want to make moves based on 2 teams. I just wanted a 2nd round birth at the beginning of the season, now ppl are advocating trading people to match up (hopefully better?) to a 1 team in the East, and a team in the West. Expectations need to be tempered I think, yes everything isnt perfect, but what team is?

You can't say we lost to the Bulls because we bricked uncontested shots. That was 1 thing. There are many things going on in a basketball game. We win that game if do a lot of things different than just bricking uncontested shots.

1) We win if we don't let Pau score at will on us.
2)We win if don't let them post a 34.2 ORB% vs. us.
3)And, of course, we win if we don't brick uncontested shots.

This is about addressing the first 2 things. The 3rd is just variance.

It is all well and good that your individual expectations at the start of the season were to make the 2nd round. But, that doesn't mean other people don't want to at least try and get further. If you (for arguments sake) are the 3rd best team in a conference, you don't just lie down and accept that the 2nd round is where we get off. There is nothing wrong with trying to get further than that.

This is about rebounding, and it is about post defense. It's all well and good that we are 16th in PITP. You don't just accept that something is 'good enough' because we are league average at it (and PITP is kind of a bad way to look at post scoring anyways). You can be better than 16th.

I don't know who we trade, and for who. Maybe it's a 1 for 1 trade Maybe we add Fields or Hayes in, or even our low 1st if the player is good enough. I don't know at this point. Mozgov is interesting. Another name that might be interesting that hasn't been brought up is Dalembert (~19rb%, 24drb%, good post D, can finish better offensively than Hayes).
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
nitrous
General Manager
And1: 11,470

Post#123 » by nitrous » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:24 pm

Would Amare Stoudemire work in Toronto?
pbj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,757

Post#124 » by pbj » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:26 pm

nitrous wrote:Would Amare Stoudemire work in Toronto?

Maybe.. but we would have to trade like our whole bench 5-for-1 just to match salaries lol
nitrous
General Manager

Post#125 » by nitrous » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:31 pm

pbj wrote:

Maybe.. but we would have to trade like our whole bench 5-for-1 just to match salaries lol

Landry, Vasquez, Hayes can go.
Sheldon Cooper
Pro Prospect
And1: 810

Post#126 » by Sheldon Cooper » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:31 pm

He would if this was 2004. Ten years later, not so much.
Hendrix
RealGM

Post#127 » by Hendrix » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:32 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:Clearly youre missing the context of the discussion, he wants to replace TH with a better REB.

Improving your DREB% doesnt equate to improving your DRTG, again can you prove this?? I havent read any corollary between REB% and Ws/improved RTGs.

Team DRTG while TH on the court 94.4, while off 104.4.

I don't think I need to prove it, it's intuitive. Take a step back from the numbers for a second. A defensive possession ends when you get the defensive board.

To take it to extremes to flesh it out.

Example 1) Team 'a' gets 100 possessions in a game. Team 'b' posts a 50 drb%. Team 'a' will end up taking 150 shots at the basket during those 100 possessions.

Example 2) Team 'a' gets 100 possessions in a game. Team 'b' posts a 100 drb%. Team 'a' will end up taking 100 shots at the basket during those 100 posessions.

All things equal, the team that takes 150 shots is going to post a higher ORTG, than the team that posted 100 shots. Conversely, the team that gave up 150 shots posts a worse DRTG, than the team that gave up 100 shots.

Edit- actually if a team posted a 50% drb%, they would give up more than the 150 shots I said, but I don't feel like doing the math, and I think it still illustrates the point.
nitrous
General Manager

Post#128 » by nitrous » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:37 pm

Sheldon Cooper wrote:

He is only 32 and still is putting up good numbers for time played. Considering Val only avg's 23.9mpg this season, Amare is avg 23.1.

JV per 36: 16pts, 11.6 trb, 1.1 ast, 4.2 PF, 2.1 BLK, .507 FG%
AS per 36: 18.2pts, 11 trb, 1.8 ast, 4.5 PF, 0.6 BLK, .532 FG%

He still has game and is on a crappy team. He has post moves that would benefit JV also.
pbj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,757

Post#129 » by pbj » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:38 pm

nitrous wrote:
pbj wrote:

Landry, Vasquez, Hayes can go.

Ok, that totals to $18.6MM of the $23.4MM we would need to match to acquire him, so we still gotta throw in at least $6.6MM more worth of salary, since the Knicks have a full roster and would have to send us other players back
nitrous
General Manager

Post#130 » by nitrous » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:40 pm

Stoudemire has a great resume also, something our team is missing is an accomplished vet:

6× NBA All-Star (2005, 2007–2011)
All-NBA First Team (2007)
4× All-NBA Second Team (2005, 2008, 2010, 2011)
NBA Rookie of the Year (2003)
NBA All-Rookie First Team (2003)
NBA Rookie Challenge MVP (2004)

I might be willing to release Patterson also or Psycho T. Having JV start with AS coming the bench would be huge.

Bebe is an option also. I don't see Toronto realistically making use of both Bruno & Bebe.
Hendrix
RealGM

Post#131 » by Hendrix » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:42 pm

nitrous wrote:
Sheldon Cooper wrote:

He is only 32 and still is putting up good numbers for time played. Considering Val only avg's 23.9mpg this season, Amare is avg 23.1.

He still has game and is on a crappy team. He has post moves that would benefit JV also.

We are 2nd in the league in offense, and 6th in defense. Like the last thing in the world we need is an offensive player that is going to hurt our defense like Amare.
nitrous
General Manager

Post#132 » by nitrous » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:43 pm

Hendrix wrote:
nitrous wrote:
Sheldon Cooper wrote:

We are 2nd in the league in offense, and 6th in defense. Like the last thing in the world we need is an offensive player that is going to hurt our defense like Amare.

I think a problem with Toronto though is relying on Chuck Hayes for Defence when he can't score or rebound to be a negative. We have had trouble covering Amare.

Amare might learn a thing or two from Casey about defense.
Hendrix
RealGM

Post#133 » by Hendrix » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:49 pm

nitrous wrote:
I think a problem with Toronto though is relying on Chuck Hayes for Defence when he can't score or rebound to be a negative. We have had trouble covering Amare.

I'm not following you at all. You want to get a player that plays zero defense (Amare) because we have trouble covering players like Amare? You don't see the problem there?

Amare is 32. He's not going to improve at defense at this point.
Sheldon Cooper
Pro Prospect

Post#134 » by Sheldon Cooper » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:51 pm

nitrous wrote:
Sheldon Cooper wrote:

Thank god you have nothing to do with managing the team's roster! Do you realize that "per 36" is not a real stat but an extrapolated one? It takes a player's level of production and assumes they would produce at the exact same rate for 36 minutes.

Amare is more than washed up. He is not worth a quarter of his contract at this point in his career. In addition to being one of the worst defenders in the league, he is no longer dominant offensively and is more than a little injury prone. He is basically an injury-prone Patrick Patterson with no defence. How exactly does him help our situation?
nitrous
General Manager

Post#135 » by nitrous » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:52 pm

Hendrix wrote:
nitrous wrote:

I'm not following you at all. You want to get a player that plays zero defense (Amare) because we have trouble covering players like Amare? You don't see the problem there?

My biggest concern is if we have to resort to playing Chuck Hayes in order to get defense on this team we have a problem as he plays zero offense. What happens when our back court is tied up and we need scoring in the post?
Hendrix
RealGM

Post#136 » by Hendrix » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:56 pm

nitrous wrote:My biggest concern is if we have to resort to playing Chuck Hayes in order to get defense on this team we have a problem as he plays zero offense. What happens when our back court is tied up and we need scoring in the post?

Umm... What? Ok, I'm done talking about Amare Stoudamire.
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#137 » by vini_vidi_vici » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:57 pm

Hendrix wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:Okay so who are we replacing with TH 1 for 1?? I mean otherwise were trading multiple players and then the team is changed in other ways. Again why I hate the rabbit holes, I hate fantasy trades.

You can't say we lost to the Bulls because we bricked uncontested shots. That was 1 thing. There are many things going on in a basketball game. We win that game if do a lot of things different than just bricking uncontested shots.

1) We win if we don't let Pau score at will on us.
2)We win if don't let them post a 34.2 ORB% vs. us.
3)And, of course, we win if we don't brick uncontested shots.

This is about addressing the first 2 things.

It is all well and good that your individual expectations at the start of the season were to make the 2nd round. But, that doesn't mean other people don't want to at least try and get further. If you (for arguments sake) are the 3rd best team in a conference, you don't just lie down and accept that the 2nd round is where we get off. There is nothing wrong with trying to get further than that.

This is about rebounding, and it is about post defense. It's all well and good that we are 16th in PITP. You don't just accept that something is 'good enough' because we are league average at it (and PITP is kind of a bad way to look at post scoring anyways). You can be better than 16th.

I don't know who we trade, and for who. Maybe it's a 1 for 1 trade Maybe we add Fields or Hayes in, or even our low 1st if the player is good enough. I don't know at this point. Mozgov is interesting. Another name that might be interesting that hasn't been brought up is Dalembert (~19rb%, 24drb%, good post D, can finish better offensively than Hayes).

Did Pau score at will on TH?? Not one shot came against TH according to shot log. Shouldnt we advocate getting rid of JV/AJ if thats the case?? They also have CH if they need a matchup Post D big. And another in a suit, worst case scenerio.

And yet we had the same amount of OREBs as CHI (13). TH also had the highest NetRTG on the team FWIW.

We can be better at virtually every single statistic (we arent #1 in), im not sure what that proves, you guys are isolating post defense (and wrongly equating it to THs production, despite the team being league average, hardly an issue re: PITP per 100), and REBs (something TH has shown he can do well, and improve on current #s). I didnt say we got destroyed inside, again thats the context via another poster.

No one is saying laying down, but youre hyper focused on the negative (being out rebounded), even though a) REB% doesnt equate to Ws (that ive read), and b) PPL advocating trading to address the need, despite having the T21st REB% guy in the league last year slumping quite abit in that regard.

Mozgov had a worse DRPM than Hayes last year. Havent updated this years.

Team DRTG while Mozgov on the court 109.4, off of it 105.3, this year. He allows OPPs to shoot 1.3 FG% better than avg.

Im not opposed to Mozgov, but hes not going to come in and drastically change any of it.

Dalembert is meh. Decent this year (in SSS), not that great the year before. Neither are needle movers, just lateral moves at best IMO and I wouldnt add 1sts for.

Hendrix wrote:I don't think I need to prove it, it's intuitive. Take a step back from the numbers for a second. A defensive possession ends when you get the defensive board.

To take it to extremes to flesh it out.

Example 1) Team 'a' gets 100 possessions in a game. Team 'b' posts a 50 drb%. Team 'a' will end up taking 150 shots at the basket during those 100 possessions.

Example 2) Team 'a' gets 100 possessions in a game. Team 'b' posts a 100 drb%. Team 'a' will end up taking 100 shots at the basket during those 100 posessions.

All things equal, the team that takes 150 shots is going to post a higher ORTG, than the team that posted 100 shots. Conversely, the team that gave up 150 shots posts a worse DRTG, than the team that gave up 100 shots.

Edit- actually if a team posted a 50% drb%, they would give up more than the 150 shots I said, but I don't feel like doing the math, and I think it still illustrates the point.

First you cant give up more shots than possessions.

Second the differential this year in REB% is 9.6% (top to bottom) not 50%, that is a big distinction.

Third that is merely anecdotal, again there isnt any proof that I know of. K guys I really need to go, take care all, drive safe out there. Interesting discussion nonetheless even if I disagree.
iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.
Sheldon Cooper
Pro Prospect

Post#138 » by Sheldon Cooper » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:01 pm

nitrous wrote:
Hendrix wrote:
nitrous wrote:

My biggest concern is if we have to resort to playing Chuck Hayes in order to get defense on this team we have a problem as he plays zero offense. What happens when our back court is tied up and we need scoring in the post?

Chuck Hayes is awesome. He's one of the best post defenders in the league and has a very high BBIQ. He's not in the league for his offensive prowess. Leave the scoring to the other four guys on the floor.

As for scoring in the post, we don't really have post scoring to begin with. All our bigs are PnR-type bigs rather than back-to-the-basket post scorers. There is really only a handful of those types in the league and of those the Gasol brothers are probably among the best.
Clementine9
RealGM
And1: 26,001

Post#139 » by Clementine9 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:02 pm

team edward wrote:
Clementine9 wrote:
team edward wrote:disagree. We only get murderd on offense. Now, you really only need to get murderd one way for it to count, so perhaps ot's a moot point. But let's be clear. Chuck is 6"shorter than most centres, but he is never undersized.

You give up rebounding and rim protection with him. It's been demonstrated repeatedly.

He provides defacto rim protection by deterring players from even entering the key with his belly. They bounce off him like Friar Tuck in the old Rocket Robin Hood cartoons.

Haha fair enough! I hate when I back myself into corners in arguments. If I see team edward from now on I'm just going to give an And1 and back out.
Lateral Quicks wrote:Gradually JV's minutes will approach zero at the same time his points and rebounds approach infinity - a statistical singularity, if you will. Shrewd move from Nurse.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,963

Post#140 » by MEDIC » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:05 pm

Still can't believe Steimsma can't get 5 minutes a game to go out there, play with energy & give you some defensive minutes.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.

Return to Toronto Raptors