ImageImageImageImageImage

Thoughts on the Raptors over the past couple of seasons

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

IvanIV
Veteran
And1: 886

Thoughts on the Raptors over the past couple of seasons 

Post#1 » by IvanIV » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:16 pm

Firstly, I'd like to admit that I was wrong about a few things. This post will by no means be a mea culpa; but DeRozan is a very good, maaaaaybe one day great, player; and it's a damn good thing the Raptors didn't tank last season to get a top pick in this "epic" (lol) rookie class. I admit that many times, I espoused views contrary to this.

But a lot changed in these last two years. As a result, I now love the Raptors again. I look forward to Raptors games. Though I am currently living in a US city, I watch every Raptors game on league pass, and I sat in the first row when the Raptors were in town. I look forward to every Raptors game. I have neither engaged in this behaviour nor felt this way in over a decade. It is a great feeling.

I pretty much stopped watching the Raptors after last season's opening Rudy chuck fest. I was just tired of BC's ineptitude and this roster had his fingerprints all over it. It's kind of ironic that many of the key players on our current roster are BC's players, but overall all BC really screwed up the overall roster, chemistry/talent-wise and financially, in spite of his ability to acquire individually talented players. It seemed we could always put five talented players on the floor, who didn't play particularly well together, and who had minimal talent backing them up.

Then Ujiri came along, got rid of the talented yet fatally flawed players that BC wouldn't move in a million years (i.e., Bargs, Gay, Calderon), brought in one of the best benches in the league, and helped build real chemistry. As a result we can now put a deep, talented, two-way, enjoyable-to-watch team on the floor.

Last year's playoff experience was invaluable for this team. Losing on a blocked shot, that could have easily gone in, in the final second of game seven is undoubtedly the best way to lose a playoff series. If we tanked, we would not have gained that experience. It seems very possible this team could make a deep playoff run this season, and every bit of experience counts.

Of course, since I'm a Raptor fan, I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop. Oh yeah, and I didn't even watch the video tribute to that loser Vince Carter, but I heard it was nice and he got all choked up and cried. I hope he regrets every day his decision to quit on Toronto.
Thanks, TZ!
VinBaker6
RealGM
And1: 61,808

Re: Thoughts on the Raptors over the past couple of seasons 

Post#2 » by VinBaker6 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:40 pm

Now all we need is Raps in 4 to make a thread like this and all the winning will feel right.

Sent from my XT1034 using RealGM Forums mobile app

S/O to TZ!
Tdot1
Junior
And1: 208

Post#3 » by Tdot1 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:06 pm

I remember getting into arguments with people about not trading Derozan for a draft pick because Demar was already an established player in this league and we had no clue really about how good these rookies would be. Thank goodness we kept the team intact.

Takes a big man to admit they were wrong, so good on you man. Everyone should enjoy this Raptors team. Even Americans are saying how much they like watching the raps play.

Now I wonder if Danchen will ever admit that Demar is a very good player :nod: :nod:
Qhawe
Sixth Man
And1: 1,700

Post#4 » by Qhawe » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:06 pm

I share your sentiments towards Vince Carter. #clown

Boogie Williams: Favourite Raptor
TDotsfinest97
Banned User
And1: 5,953

Post#5 » by TDotsfinest97 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:14 pm

People and I sometimes forget how DeRozan is valuable to this team, Lowry is obviously the best player on this team, but DeRozan didn't back out in that Brooklyn series, he never choked on the offensive end and now he's starting to get better in defense which is absolutely awesome if we hope the Raptors make a deep playoff run.

If Ross was averaging only 8 points a game in the first round last year, we would've been in the second round, but now that the Raptors kept that core intact and are now focused on building into that first round loss. I think that this year can very special for the Raptors. They have a chance to break the franchise-best record and make it to the
ECF because the East is wide open or even make it to the Finals, if Masai can acquire a veteran like David West that can also score and give the Raptors some toughness.
MVP-
Starter
And1: 2,394

Post#6 » by MVP- » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:19 pm

lmao, imagine we had Wiggins and a bunch of trash right now?

That would actually just be a bunch of trash right now.
RandomRaptorfan
Veteran
And1: 2,404

Post#7 » by RandomRaptorfan » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:48 pm

2013-2014 (post trade): all aboard the hype train #WeTheNorth
2013-2014 (Gay era): tank nation/tank world order
2012-2013: Screw over OKC and gun it for 9th!
2011-2012: tank nation
2010-2011: tank nation
sca
Head Coach
And1: 9,172

Post#8 » by sca » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:54 pm

I've been following this franchise for 15+ years and this is the first time I've ever been this excited about our team. Sunday is my only off-day and I literally spent the whole day fooling around RealGM, and normally I would've hated myself for wasting my time with what I consider a totally pointless activity (I'm a bit obsessed with self-improvement and all) but I don't even feel a bit guilty about it. Part of me wants us to begin to lose some games so that I don't continue spending my whole day in front of the computer looking at Raptors related stuff. lol
RaptorsLife on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:45 pm wrote:
nabbs wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:Nurse can’t be our head coach

Why not? Who is your choice?

Def Messina

RaptorsLife on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm wrote:Messina sucks
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,781

Post#9 » by Dennis 37 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:23 pm

If you have league pass, why are you sitting in the first row?
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
IvanIV
Veteran
And1: 886

Post#10 » by IvanIV » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:50 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:If you have league pass, why are you sitting in the first row?

Did you watch the Cavs game last night? Did you hear the Raps fans in the crowd? I was the equivalent at the Boston game, only it was just me. Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure I was instrumental in that victory. I sat behind the Celtics bench and harassed them incessantly. I was in their heads. Evan Turner looked at me in disgust multiple times.
Thanks, TZ!
Detective
Head Coach
And1: 24,545

Post#11 » by Detective » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:52 pm

VinBaker6 wrote:Now all we need is Raps in 4 to make a thread like this and all the winning will feel right.

VB6, my nikka, if the Raps win a playoff series in 4, I guarantee, the Raps will become legends for future NBA fan generations.

Just imagine the internet reaction.

Damn, my eyes are tearing. Must be all this rain in Toronto this weekend. Yes, it's just the rain.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,781

Post#12 » by Dennis 37 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:53 pm

IvanIV wrote:
Dennis 37 wrote:If you have league pass, why are you sitting in the first row?

Did you watch the Cavs game last night? Did you hear the Raps fans in the crowd? I was the equivalent at the Boston game, only it was just me. Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure I was instrumental in that victory. I sat behind the Celtics bench and harassed them incessantly. I was in their heads. Evan Turner looked at me in disgust multiple times.

It's an illegal stream meme. If you have court side tickets and you have league pass, you need not sit in the first row.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
VinBaker6
RealGM
And1: 61,808

Post#13 » by VinBaker6 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:16 am

Detective wrote:
VinBaker6 wrote:Now all we need is Raps in 4 to make a thread like this and all the winning will feel right.

VB6, my nikka, if the Raps win a playoff series in 4, I guarantee, the Raps will become legends for future NBA fan generations.

Just imagine the internet reaction.

Damn, my eyes are tearing. Must be all this rain in Toronto this weekend. Yes, it's just the rain.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I will shed grown man tears on that day my friend

S/O to TZ!

Return to Toronto Raptors