ImageImageImageImageImage

Give Landry his props...

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

wolfv
Analyst
And1: 2,631

Re: Give Landry his props... 

Post#41 » by wolfv » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:58 am

I'm gonna apologize to Landry here
gcsw
Starter
And1: 74

Post#42 » by gcsw » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:16 am

tdotboyy wrote:I've always said this, he's the key to reaching the NBA finals, he has the perfect game that fits our team. period.

Couldn't be any more wrong than that. Landry does not fit on this team, not with Kyle, Demar, JV and Casey. They all kill ball movement. Landry can easily live up to his contract on any team that relies on ball movement or use Princeton offense.

It's really not his fault if BC did not realize this and brought him here. BC killed his career. His basketball IQ is too good for this team.
onetwothree
Senior
And1: 440

Post#43 » by onetwothree » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:21 am

I think if he can get minutes SOMEHOW in our deep AF rotation, he will resign after his contract is done for the min. He is loyal. Since we paid so much for him these 3 years, he will return the favour. But he got to get minutes consistently man.

Maybe make PPAT gets some more minutes at C, James Johnson gets some more minutes at the PF. Landry gets a couple of James' minutes at SF and then a couple more here and there at SG.
onetwothree
Senior
And1: 440

Post#44 » by onetwothree » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:28 am

gcsw wrote:
tdotboyy wrote:I've always said this, he's the key to reaching the NBA finals, he has the perfect game that fits our team. period.

Couldn't be any more wrong than that. Landry does not fit on this team, not with Kyle, Demar, JV and Casey. They all kill ball movement. Landry can easily live up to his contract on any team that relies on ball movement or use Princeton offense.

It's really not his fault if BC did not realize this and brought him here. BC killed his career. His basketball IQ is too good for this team.

BC didn't kill his career. BC filled his pockets.
His unfortunate hampered his career because he essentially has NO shot now. Think about it, the most competitive basketball league in the world and the man has NO shot. It's not his fault. It's unfortunate. But despite the fact that he has no shot, his basketball IQ is high enough to make him a net positive on the court...

His career is clearly not dead. He will get minutes with this team and/or with other teams.

In terms of the princeton offense bogus you said. Which teams run a princeton styled offense right now? Mainly the Spurs and the Hawks. The number 1 thing you need in a princeton offense is people who can shoot the 3. Landry Fields will NEVER work in a princeton styled offense. Imagine 4 or 5 passes in a row and than Landry is open for the corner three...

And the players you mentioned that Toronto has... They are all willing passers. Kyle Lowry led the league in assists for about half a season. He is at 7.5 APG right now. Top 10 in the league. Demar averaged 4 APG last season. JV is extremely unselfish.
raptorstime
RealGM
And1: 43,280

Post#45 » by raptorstime » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:37 am

Thank you once again, BC.
Mr_NC
Analyst
And1: 5,342

Post#46 » by Mr_NC » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:46 am

#FREELANDRY

Always a professional, never complains and is always ready
Sandman88
Head Coach
And1: 6,527

Post#47 » by Sandman88 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:50 am

If he didn't get injured in the playoffs, we would've beat Brooklyn. That one game he played, he shut down Iso Joe.
neurotik
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,864

Post#48 » by neurotik » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:56 am

NO PROPS NECESSARY!!!

jk. He's been solid.
(1 of 10)
plainballing
Head Coach
And1: 1,590

Post#49 » by plainballing » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:00 am

Regardless of contract, I really doesn't like the fact that Fields cannot hit his shot (or FT) last year...yet he is doing other necessary things and help out the team in other respect...if he can make some shots I don't mind having him over GV in the rotation.
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/lillehammer/Turbo_Zone_Little_Ozzy_Davis.jpg
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#50 » by J-Roc » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:37 am

He himself was wondering if he'd be out of the NBA after his Colangelottery. I wonder if teams will want a guy who can't shoot.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,964

Post#51 » by MEDIC » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:43 am

Guess with DD out, we needed someone to fill the void for off the ball movement. Plays decent D too.

Good move by Casey.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#52 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:50 am

plainballing wrote:Regardless of contract, I really doesn't like the fact that Fields cannot hit his shot (or FT) last year...yet he is doing other necessary things and help out the team in other respect...if he can make some shots I don't mind having him over GV in the rotation.

He made about 2/3rds of his fts with toronto/his overall career...this is far from great but also far from bad given he can't hit open 3 point shots and you dont have to guard his jumper at all.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
load management
Analyst
And1: 1,871

Post#53 » by load management » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:52 am

:o
**** the Tony Brothers
LieCheatSteal
Assistant Coach
And1: 418

Post#54 » by LieCheatSteal » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:52 am

I always thought this about Fields.

He's the king of the "little things"- he's not the greatest scorer or shooter, even before his elbow got messed up. He was average at that, at best. However, he does the unattractive stuff well. The movement, the high basketball IQ- that's what he does well. It doesn't show up on the score sheet. The issue is that we are trained to see that stats equals money. When he got his contract, we expected him to score. When he didn't because of his messed up elbow (that and he wasn't a big scorer to begin this), we were merciless on him. Because he couldn't score, he fell out of the rotation.

I think he's perfect in his current role- end of the bench jack of all trades professional. He's sort of like the Raps' guard version of Chuck Hayes- defense only. I think he'll be able to carve himself a contract or two after this year just based on that. Assuming, of course, that his elbow holds up.
Two years from being two years away.
MVP-
Starter
And1: 2,394

Post#55 » by MVP- » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:58 am

Pooh_Jeter wrote:It's jarring watching him play regular minutes. Not because he can't shoot or dribble, but he actually has basketball IQ. It's weird how making cuts to the basket instead of standing in the corner and not moving can improve the offense.

You mean unlike Ross, who needs to be spooned all his baskets, yet should be the starting SG alongside Kyle Lowry so Lowry has to handle the ball for 35 mpg?

Fields is great. He's always ready he's asked to play. Many other players would have sulked, or would just be pure rust coming in sparingly like he does. Simply brilliant.
Def Leppard
Analyst
And1: 2,218

Post#56 » by Def Leppard » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:44 am

And he just seems like. Really good dude

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
"Rise up, gather round, rock this place, to the ground"
JJ From Deep
Sixth Man
And1: 2,090

Post#57 » by JJ From Deep » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:59 am

Love Fields. Real shame what happened to his game after his injury. Man was he fun to watch in that rookie year. Regardless, he's adapted to his current condition and is still valuable.
ballislife
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,005

Post#58 » by ballislife » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:01 am

I love what Fields brings off the score sheet... it's arguably more than anyone else on this team. You always see him setting picks and telling guys where to go for the best of our possessions. And there's definitely no one that cuts better than him... he always knows when to make a hard cut to get the opposing team off guard. His BBIQ is off the charts. He's also a really smart defender. Besides Lowry, there's no one else on this team with a higher BBIQ than him.

It sucks that he's had to deal with his nerve issues, but he's still a very serviceable player. I love how he plays. He doesn't need the ball, and he doesn't need to score to be effective. He makes the game easier for everyone else. I wouldn't mind having him back next season at a lower cost. He has a great attitude, and he makes life easier for everyone else, because he does what they won't. If he shot they way he was able to in his rookie year, he'd be one of the best role players in the league off the bench.
JWiLL02
RealGM
And1: 2,443

Post#59 » by JWiLL02 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:02 am

I think part of the reason Fields struggled so mightily back when he used to get extended play (before the nerve injury took hold + the Rudy trade) was due to the team around him. We didn't have the same threats or the same chemistry at that point.

With our roster as is, he's able to step into the line up and actually function as that "glue guy" because he's not being asked to be a scoring option, and he doesn't need to be, whether it's our starting unit or he's in with the reserves.

It's just a much better situation and fit for his skill set right now.
*Sig courtesy of Raptors' royalty 'Turbozone'. http://www.turbozone.ca"
Clutch Carter
RealGM
And1: 71,878

Post#60 » by Clutch Carter » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:26 am

Raps in 4 wrote:Image

He gets props from me.

You can actually see his hand forming a claw... that injury is no joke. Sucks that it ruined his career.
#FreeLRJ Offical 1,000,000 post crew:
Raptor95,Seanbig,Spykelee,ClutchCarter,aRapsFan4eva,KozRJC,MAS,Slowlydrowningme,bigdub,GQstylin

Return to Toronto Raptors