ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Andrew Wiggins expected on Canada's Pan Am hoops team

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Young_Buc
General Manager
And1: 9,130

Re: OT: Andrew Wiggins expected on Canada's Pan Am hoops team 

Post#41 » by Young_Buc » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:49 pm

CrookedJ wrote:
Hendrix wrote:
Matty wrote:
Wiggins and Olynyk are going to be a pretty good 1/2 punch on offense.

A starting lineup of Cojo (leader, primary ball handler), Stauskas (spot up shooter, occasional slasher), Wiggins (playing the offense around him), Olynyk (PnP big), and Thompson (PnR big) fits perfectly together. I do hope Ennis gets the chance to back-up the point guard position, I think he's going to have a similar development curve to Cojo.

Other NBA players should include Bennett, Sacre, and Nicholson. They probably would need at least 3 Oversea players, so they should include English, Rautins and Anderson.

Yeah those 5 compliment each other very well from a skill standpoint. CoJo shouldn't be overlooked either. He's having a gret year putting up a 15 PER, and spent years learning from the best squad in basketball how to play good 'team' ball.

The only thing that starting 5 really lacks is defense, and size down low.

I think Joseph will be our best player this summer, he really looked good when Parker was out. Having his leadership is gonna be great.

He's just a kid, but I'd like to see Jamal Murray on the team. As for the entire roster, I'm going with:

Olynk/Sacre/Trey Lyles
Thompson/Bennett
Wiggins/Ejim
Cojo/Ennis/Murray
Nik/Heslip
Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#42 » by Matty » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:13 am

Young_Buc wrote:
CrookedJ wrote:
Hendrix wrote:Yeah those 5 compliment each other very well from a skill standpoint. CoJo shouldn't be overlooked either. He's having a gret year putting up a 15 PER, and spent years learning from the best squad in basketball how to play good 'team' ball.

The only thing that starting 5 really lacks is defense, and size down low.

I think Joseph will be our best player this summer, he really looked good when Parker was out. Having his leadership is gonna be great.

He's just a kid, but I'd like to see Jamal Murray on the team. As for the entire roster, I'm going with:

Olynk/Sacre/Trey Lyles
Thompson/Bennett
Wiggins/Ejim
Cojo/Ennis/Murray
Nik/Heslip

I don't see Trey Lyles on the roster if he gets drafted this summer. Rookies usually like to focus on prepping for their first NBA season .

There might be a chance we see Murray but I don't know if it's necessary to have him this summer. We're better off giving the NBA rookie guards some playing time (Ennis, Staukas) and getting them accustomed to the international game.
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#43 » by frumble » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:17 pm

Matty,
Good point re Lyles. In any case, barring a lot of injuries/no-shows, he would be a long shot to make the team anyway (though it would be nice to have him in camp).

Young_Buc,
Re Murray, I think he will have a great future with the senior program, but he is too young to seriously challenge for a spot. I can think of at least a dozen guards who would be ahead of him right now:

Joseph
Ennis
Anderson
Pangos
Hanlan
Kabongo
Cadougan
English
Heslip
Rautins
Scrubb
Mullings
Rathan-Mayes

Will be interesting to see whether he re-classifies to class of 2015, and what position he ends up playing in college.
Between him, Washington, and Wigginton, we have some decent PG prospects in the pipeline.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,121

Post#44 » by duppyy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:30 pm

Was hoping Kevin Zabo was the PG of the future but he doesn't seem to be doing so well.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,713

Post#45 » by Ell Curry » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:40 pm

Going forward, we're obviously strong at one wing spot with Wiggins.
I think Thompson will be a good, Amir style backup for both the 4 and 5 spots. Olynyk should be a solid 4 on the offensive end and Lyles and Bennett have potential.
Center is the biggest hole. Nobody jumps out, and guys like Valenciaunas, Nurkic, Len, Gasol, Noah, Gobert, and Vucevic could all hurt us there.
We really need Stauskas to work out as the shooter next to Wiggins, I think, because the other wing options are underwhelming. Hopefully Jamaal Murray can be the 3rd guy in that rotation.
Joseph is a solid point guard, and it'll be good to have a PG who actually plays D against guys like Dragic, Parker, Rubio, Schroeder and whoever the Americans choose. Pangos, Ennis or some other young PG should be an okay backup.

But yeah, we need a Center and a wing.
Where's the D?
Ell Curry
Head Coach

Post#46 » by Ell Curry » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:46 pm

I was surprised by Bachynski's mobility considering his size the couple of times I saw ASU play. He just signed with the Knicks D-league team. If he can get onto an NBA roster he might be a better fit than Sacre or an aging Anthony for a defensive 5 role behind Tristan Thompson.
Where's the D?
frumble
Bench Warmer

Post#47 » by frumble » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:07 pm

Ell Curry wrote:Going forward, we're obviously strong at one wing spot with Wiggins.
I think Thompson will be a good, Amir style backup for both the 4 and 5 spots. Olynyk should be a solid 4 on the offensive end and Lyles and Bennett have potential.
Center is the biggest hole. Nobody jumps out, and guys like Valenciaunas, Nurkic, Len, Gasol, Noah, Gobert, and Vucevic could all hurt us there.
We really need Stauskas to work out as the shooter next to Wiggins, I think, because the other wing options are underwhelming. Hopefully Jamaal Murray can be the 3rd guy in that rotation.
Joseph is a solid point guard, and it'll be good to have a PG who actually plays D against guys like Dragic, Parker, Rubio, Schroeder and whoever the Americans choose. Pangos, Ennis or some other young PG should be an okay backup.

But yeah, we need a Center and a wing.

I think the biggest hole is wing. I am ok with TT and KO as the starting bigs, with someone like Powell as first off the bench. None of them are true Cs, but I think we can get by with that rotation (with Nicholson or Bennet and Sacre or Anthony as the other backups).

But at the 3 we are very thin. We are looking at someone like Jevohn Shepherd or Aaron Doornekamp as the back-up (or starter if Wiggins doesn't show).

I would like to see Dyshawn Pierre in camp. He might be ready to challenge for that spot.
Dillon Brooks is having a pretty good freshman year for Oregon and might be a viable option as well.
Would also be nice to see Kris Joseph return to the program, but I think that is a long shot.

Longer term. RJ Barrett is probably Canada's best prospect since Wiggins, but he is several years away.
Ell Curry
Head Coach

Post#48 » by Ell Curry » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:07 am

Justin Jackson is a top 30 recruit. Maybe he'll be the answer at SF in a few years.
Where's the D?
frumble
Bench Warmer

Post#49 » by frumble » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:10 pm

From Wolstat a couple days ago:

Wiggins has not fully committed to playing for Canada this summer at either the Pan Am Games or the World Championship, hopefully the Wolves don’t force him to go to summer league in Las Vegas instead of leading his country.
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/02/24/at ... is-amazing

We are in big trouble if he doesn't play.

Return to Toronto Raptors