ImageImageImageImageImage

We are a nightmare playoff matchup

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,045

Re: We are a nightmare playoff matchup 

Post#61 » by bstein14 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:06 pm

For the 6/7/8 seeds, if the options are playing Atlanta, Cleveland, or Toronto... its an easy choice for all those teams to want Toronto in the first round and its not even close.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,957

Post#62 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:09 pm

Who cares what the 6/7/8 seeds want? They're lucky to be in the playoffs period. Especially in the East.
Kohanz
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 992

Post#63 » by Kohanz » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:47 pm

bstein14 wrote:For the 6/7/8 seeds, if the options are playing Atlanta, Cleveland, or Toronto... its an easy choice for all those teams to want Toronto in the first round and its not even close.

And they will all get destroyed. We'll cock that joint back and bang on 'em.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#64 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:49 pm

Rant coming:

If you believe things that have been written lately about the attention of our front office, how can we call ourselves a "nightmare playoff matchup", when our org doesn't even have the confidence to view anything beyond winning one round as a goal? Enlighten me? Which other Front Office of contenders in the East, would people write about as being "concerned anything beyond round 2 would be more hard than good?"

Is there any other team that we are comparing ourselves with as "Eastern Contenders", doing less than we've done to try to reach that goal? Atlanta's not tinkering, why would they. But Cle, they are totally in it to try and win it this year. Are we? If not, why not? I mean, does the Front office even "believe" in this team? Some would say they're too smart for that, people are pointing to this bold plan for 15/16. To them I ask, If that makes Masai a great GM, what's that make Phil Jackson? If you think we're building for big things in 15/16, and right now means nothing, well what's that mean for our future compared to the Knicks, who, if that's how we're judging, are actually doing a better job of it? I mean, capspace, draft pick, top level player, and attractive to stars - isn't that what we're pining for, what we're hoping Masai can get us to in 2016?

Recently someone was saying that they have inside sources that say to the front office these two years don't matter - well if, you believe that to be true, wouldn't that also mean Masai let haggling over a pick and Tim Hardaway Junior subvert his plan last year?
If these last two year's don't matter, and if Masai's plan in 2106 or 2015, then what the frig did keep Lowry for? wouldn't that put us off course and cause us to delay our plan? I mean that piece that was written by Kelly and talked about the practice court to help bring in Wiggans as the main goal, when we didn't even put an honest effort to try and get in the position to draft him. If wiggans is the play for 6 years from now, why wasn't he the plan last year. And if he was, why were we not more aggressive in our approach. Why were we 50/50 for so long? Masai admitted to trying to tear it down to tank, but the Lowry deal fell through, why would we let it fall through? If our goal was to tank, why did we haggle on the return, or not find another place to send him? How do those things square up?

I'll even say, I hear from Posters all the time about Masai's ability as a scout and talent evaluator, yet they won't question the fact that he was on the radio today, talking about not making changes because these guys deserve a chance to show what they got....Seems fine, till you consider this is the same team as last year, with little exception. The core guys have mainly been here for two seasons, yet Masai, the scout, needs to give them more time to show who they are? Does that sound right? Do we not know who they are? Anyone here still confused about who we have?

Now, people will read this and think I'm trashing Masai and that's not my point I think Masai's done a great job, he's been the best gm we've had, what I take issue with is those that seem to think that's what's going on right now doesn't matter. I think we have a great gm, who should have improved the team at the deadline, but couldn't. A good gm who may be gun shy, who may be a bit scared to upset the apple cart, when so much of our success has been linked to chemistry and things that are hard to recreate.

I think we, collectively on the board, somehow lose the plot. We somehow lose the ability for nuance. We can't keep reality in mind. I mean, I bet you think you have great parents, not perfect, because no one's perfect, but by and large they did the best they could and you view them as great parents (sadly I know that won't be true for all, but I hope it is for most). Yet when it comes to our GM's, Masai can't make a mistake, because he's a good GM. If nothing got done/ it's because Masai's didn't want to off set the plan. He can be a great GM and can still have a hard time putting together a championship contender.

Now, I know this rant may seem out of place in this thread, but what this rant is meant to be about is the foolishness of our narratives, and this thread provides a good contrast for that point. We can at all at the same time, have people who believe we're a nightmare playoff matchup/ while simultaneously believing our gm isn't even focused on this year but it building toward the future, it's pretty obnoxious to think we're both.

If this year and last year didn't matter, and if the plan is actually for the next two years, then we're clearly doing it wrong. These last two years do matter, and we should be focused on building on it, not building after. And I believe despite thought to the contrary, Masai is trying to do that, it's just not easy. I think we just think that, this is just a free spin while we await our plan, because we don't want to accept that we could be trying to do the best we can right now, and will still be lucky to get to the second round in the East. But it may be reality, and there's nothing wrong with that. That doesn't make him a bad GM.
Korr
Veteran
And1: 1,367

Post#65 » by Korr » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:01 pm

Hero wrote:We have some of the cockiest fans for a team that hasn't won a playoff series in years.

Did I do this meme right?

wegetitin08
Rookie
And1: 1,632

Post#66 » by wegetitin08 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:13 pm

Are the 76ers & Knicks making the playoffs ?
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,892

Post#67 » by Merit » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:03 pm

I don't have the skills, but I'd love it if someone would replace "Hunger Games" with "Playoff Games" and photoshop JV's head on there. Pretty well sums up this thread.
I believe in Masai.
Sandman88
Head Coach
And1: 6,527

Post#68 » by Sandman88 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:40 pm

We are 13-12 since the blow out loss to G-state, Ain't **** happening. We have come crashing down to earth. We are nothing special this year. I'm looking forward to the off-season for changes.
Snooch
Banned User
And1: 1,027

Post#69 » by Snooch » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:03 pm

Merit wrote:Image

I don't have the skills, but I'd love it if someone would replace "Hunger Games" with "Playoff Games" and photoshop JV's head on there. Pretty well sums up this thread.

bunch of 16 year old girls, sums up a majority of the wings on this team.

on a side note, catniss would definitely be the raptors center to close out games with.

If Casey was Katniss' coach, he would have her abandoning the bow for a sword and she would have had to hide in the pine trees once it was down to just 4 combatants remaining.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#70 » by Merit » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:12 pm

theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:Rant coming:

If you believe things that have been written lately about the attention of our front office, how can we call ourselves a "nightmare playoff matchup", when our org doesn't even have the confidence to view anything beyond winning one round as a goal? Enlighten me? Which other Front Office of contenders in the East, would people write about as being "concerned anything beyond round 2 would be more hard than good?"

Is there any other team that we are comparing ourselves with as "Eastern Contenders", doing less than we've done to try to reach that goal? Atlanta's not tinkering, why would they. But Cle, they are totally in it to try and win it this year. Are we? If not, why not? I mean, does the Front office even "believe" in this team? Some would say they're too smart for that, people are pointing to this bold plan for 15/16. To them I ask, If that makes Masai a great GM, what's that make Phil Jackson? If you think we're building for big things in 15/16, and right now means nothing, well what's that mean for our future compared to the Knicks, who, if that's how we're judging, are actually doing a better job of it? I mean, capspace, draft pick, top level player, and attractive to stars - isn't that what we're pining for, what we're hoping Masai can get us to in 2016?

Recently someone was saying that they have inside sources that say to the front office these two years don't matter - well if, you believe that to be true, wouldn't that also mean Masai let haggling over a pick and Tim Hardaway Junior subvert his plan last year?
If these last two year's don't matter, and if Masai's plan in 2106 or 2015, then what the frig did keep Lowry for? wouldn't that put us off course and cause us to delay our plan? I mean that piece that was written by Kelly and talked about the practice court to help bring in Wiggans as the main goal, when we didn't even put an honest effort to try and get in the position to draft him. If wiggans is the play for 6 years from now, why wasn't he the plan last year. And if he was, why were we not more aggressive in our approach. Why were we 50/50 for so long? Masai admitted to trying to tear it down to tank, but the Lowry deal fell through, why would we let it fall through? If our goal was to tank, why did we haggle on the return, or not find another place to send him? How do those things square up?

I'll even say, I hear from Posters all the time about Masai's ability as a scout and talent evaluator, yet they won't question the fact that he was on the radio today, talking about not making changes because these guys deserve a chance to show what they got....Seems fine, till you consider this is the same team as last year, with little exception. The core guys have mainly been here for two seasons, yet Masai, the scout, needs to give them more time to show who they are? Does that sound right? Do we not know who they are? Anyone here still confused about who we have?

Now, people will read this and think I'm trashing Masai and that's not my point I think Masai's done a great job, he's been the best gm we've had, what I take issue with is those that seem to think that's what's going on right now doesn't matter. I think we have a great gm, who should have improved the team at the deadline, but couldn't. A good gm who may be gun shy, who may be a bit scared to upset the apple cart, when so much of our success has been linked to chemistry and things that are hard to recreate.

I think we, collectively on the board, somehow lose the plot. We somehow lose the ability for nuance. We can't keep reality in mind. I mean, I bet you think you have great parents, not perfect, because no one's perfect, but by and large they did the best they could and you view them as great parents (sadly I know that won't be true for all, but I hope it is for most). Yet when it comes to our GM's, Masai can't make a mistake, because he's a good GM. If nothing got done/ it's because Masai's didn't want to off set the plan. He can be a great GM and can still have a hard time putting together a championship contender.

Now, I know this rant may seem out of place in this thread, but what this rant is meant to be about is the foolishness of our narratives, and this thread provides a good contrast for that point. We can at all at the same time, have people who believe we're a nightmare playoff matchup/ while simultaneously believing our gm isn't even focused on this year but it building toward the future, it's pretty obnoxious to think we're both.

If this year and last year didn't matter, and if the plan is actually for the next two years, then we're clearly doing it wrong. These last two years do matter, and we should be focused on building on it, not building after. And I believe despite thought to the contrary, Masai is trying to do that, it's just not easy. I think we just think that, this is just a free spin while we await our plan, because we don't want to accept that we could be trying to do the best we can right now, and will still be lucky to get to the second round in the East. But it may be reality, and there's nothing wrong with that. That doesn't make him a bad GM.

Who said that these two years don't matter? They're the ones that are wrong. I think you're exhibiting binary, linear thinking. Masai IS trying to improve our team while maintaining the locker room and on-court chemistry that has carried us so far. I agree with you that we should be "building on what we have", but I don't believe that it's obnoxious to think we're both a playoff nightmare this year and looking ahead to (building for) 2016. No need to tear things down; it's pretty simple actually. Masai is giving the team a chance to win as currently constructed, and if it doesn't do well he'll add to it and refine it - just like he did this year when he replaced John Salmons with Lou Williams and James Johnson. Next year we'll have cap space and will have to make decisions on Amir and Lou. Masai is giving them a chance to prove whether they should be around in the years to come. Building for 2016 doesn't mean START building in 2016. To me, it means that we will be demonstrating consistent NBA finals potential around that time. That could be done in a number of ways. We're clearly building (nee IMPROVING) and will continue to do so moving forward.
I believe in Masai.
changes
Head Coach
And1: 9,124

Post#71 » by changes » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:19 pm

Ujiri was on cp24 earlier, and he's still terrified to admit that not winning a round would be a dissapointment. Instead he is only concerned about organic growth.

He knows how to cover his tail, first round exit waiting to happen.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#72 » by Merit » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:22 pm

changes wrote:Ujiri was on cp24 earlier, and he's still terrified to admit that not winning a round would be a dissapointment. Instead he is only concerned about organic growth.

It's called managing expectations. He is the anti-colangelo in that regard. Colangelo would have already told us that JV is a franchise centre and that Lou is 6th man of the year and that Lowry is the best point guard in the east and that we should be eastern conference winners.

I prefer masai's strategy, thank you very much.
I believe in Masai.
team edward
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,981

Post#73 » by team edward » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:41 pm

I dunno. I can't say I've got the same optimism. Hansborough is really weighing us down during his 8 minutes/game. I mean, if only we could upgrade to a borderline all-star like Ed Davis for those minutes, I'd feel a little better. Sadly the trade deadline is passed...
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#74 » by Throwback24 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:11 am

Nightmare?
Remember whenā€™ is the lowest form of conversation.
Inevitable
RealGM
And1: 134,630

Post#75 » by Inevitable » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:09 am

Raptors are giving me first round loss nightmares.
UnderdogRaptors
RealGM
And1: 44,305

Post#76 » by UnderdogRaptors » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:17 am

changes wrote:Ujiri was on cp24 earlier, and he's still terrified to admit that not winning a round would be a dissapointment. Instead he is only concerned about organic growth.

That sig is just so beautiful, the homie changes ahead of his time :D
BC_IS_A_PLAYA wrote:jonas sucks, his dad should have got a vasectomy
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,887

Post#77 » by Tacoma » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:26 am

WOW, finally, you're starting to see the light. I've been saying this for a while - Masai doesn't yet have a direction. But if I interpret correctly what Masai has been saying recently, I see this changing and he has seen the light as well.

You ask "why did we haggle on the return, or not find another place to send him? How do those things square up?" Where it squares up is in what Masai said about asset management. You see, he wanted to win every trade. It's very noble but considering each trade on it's own without the context of the bigger picture gives you tunnel vision. Like in war, sometimes it's better to retreat in a battle if this will in the end win you the war. You don't need to win every battle. You don't need to win every trade. Masai was not thinking this way but I think his tune has finally changed.

Yes, I think Masai has finally figured out (again) that to win a Championship this team will have to be rebuilt from it's core. That's why he said these 2 years won't matter and he did not make a win-now trade at the trade deadline. Because no matter what happens the rest of this season, Masai has already decided to start the rebuild this summer. It's as plain as day.
Shockwave-
Senior
And1: 93

Post#78 » by Shockwave- » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:46 am

every other playoff coach will adapt. our coach does not. nor does he know how to draw up plays from timeouts.

we cannot win a 7 game series playing iso non stop, first round exit.
UnderdogRaptors
RealGM
And1: 44,305

Post#79 » by UnderdogRaptors » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:57 am

Tacoma wrote:

WOW, finally, you're starting to see the light. I've been saying this for a while - Masai doesn't yet have a direction. But if I interpret correctly what Masai has been saying recently, I see this changing and he has seen the light as well.

You ask "why did we haggle on the return, or not find another place to send him? How do those things square up?" Where it squares up is in what Masai said about asset management. You see, he wanted to win every trade. It's very noble but considering each trade on it's own without the context of the bigger picture gives you tunnel vision. Like in war, sometimes it's better to retreat in a battle if this will in the end win you the war. You don't need to win every battle. You don't need to win every trade. Masai was not thinking this way but I think his tune has finally changed.

Yes, I think Masai has finally figured out (again) that to win a Championship this team will have to be rebuilt from it's core. That's why he said these 2 years won't matter and he did not make a win-now trade at the trade deadline. Because no matter what happens the rest of this season, Masai has already decided to start the rebuild this summer. It's as plain as day.

What do u mean by rebuild? Like completely blow it up?
BC_IS_A_PLAYA wrote:jonas sucks, his dad should have got a vasectomy
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#80 » by Pooh_Jeter » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:58 am

This Warriors game changed my opinion. We are a nightmare playoff matchup. The opposing team will beat us so soundly they will become complacent to start the next round.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.

Return to Toronto Raptors