ImageImageImageImageImage

Ran Into The Knicks Tonight

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

TheGameWinner
Veteran
And1: 1,361

Re: Ran Into The Knicks Tonight 

Post#81 » by TheGameWinner » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:17 am

-TheDocOfDenial wrote:My idea of eating large is a double 1/4 pounder, large fries, large drink, mcflurry and a 2 jr chickens. Comes out to 15 dollars lmao.

make that ish at home, its better deal than that garbage lol
-TheDocOfDenial
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,179

Post#82 » by -TheDocOfDenial » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:34 am

TheGameWinner wrote:
-TheDocOfDenial wrote:My idea of eating large is a double 1/4 pounder, large fries, large drink, mcflurry and a 2 jr chickens. Comes out to 15 dollars lmao.

make that ish at home, its better deal than that garbage lol

Oh i cook 90% of my food at home. Gotta learn how to cook if you gonna live by yourself. McDicks is essential for a post exam celebration doe.
HomieOmey
Head Coach
And1: 563

Post#83 » by HomieOmey » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:25 am

Yeah, they were staying nearby at the Ritz. I saw Bargnani basically run away from my drunk brother who sped walk with him along to the elevator.
TurboZ
MCFC
Sophomore
And1: 166

Post#84 » by MCFC » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:03 am

Noone cares about how much your steak cost. This thread is just an excuse for the OP to brag.
italbeans88
Junior
And1: 481

Post#85 » by italbeans88 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:11 am

Axe Dragon wrote:My wife took me out for a birthday dinner at Jacob's Steak House on Brant St., between King and Adelaide tonight. Best steak ever by the way but very very pricy...

Anyway, most of the Knicks were there (minus Carmelo and unfortunately Jose who I'd like to meet) at a large table in a bar area near the restrooms. I walked straight into Quincy Acy who happened to be standing in my way to the restrooms. He was right next to our favourite, Andrea. I told Acy we missed him in TDot, wished him the best in his career, shook his hand, looked Bargs in the eyes and kept walking.

P.S. no pics, but it did happen...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My brother supplies food to that place the steaks are amazing but ye it is pretty friggin expensive but so is all of those restaurants on king st
"Eddie Mush was a degenerate gambler. He was also the biggest loser in the whole world. They called him mush because everything he touched turned to mush."
Axe Dragon
Analyst
And1: 377

Post#86 » by Axe Dragon » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:37 am

Barf

Axe Dragon
Analyst
And1: 377

Post#87 » by Axe Dragon » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:39 am

MCFC wrote:Noone cares about how much your steak cost. This thread is just an excuse for the OP to brag.

LOL!

I never said how much my steak cost. If I wanted to brag, it wouldn't be about the steak I ate on my birthday.

JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,843

Post#88 » by JShuttlesworth » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:13 pm

Jacobs is that good spot, highly recommended to anyone who hasnt been.

The Wagyu there is off the chain
mieshpal
Veteran
And1: 2,006

Post#89 » by mieshpal » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:22 pm

I like to stick to mama rossa's.

Best poutine in Mississauga
Sherlock
General Manager
And1: 12,706

Post#90 » by Sherlock » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:00 pm

JackedFinancier wrote:I hear Barberian's Steakhouse is great. I'm going to check that out in the next few weeks.

Barberians is okay. Meat's not that special though. They also have the very old school steakhouse vibe going on. Dark and dank interior.

Personally I much prefer Jacobs both for food and ambiance.

And yes, steak is definitely one of the few foods where you can taste the difference in quality. Agree w/ the comment re: saving a few bucks at the bar and reallocating it to a nice meal out once in a while. Definitely a nice change of pace and you might actually remember it the next day!
Interviewer: Championship #2?
Ujiri: Hey...We're gonna get it. I don't know when it'll be, but we're gonna get it. Just like I said we'll get the first one and I said I didn't know when we'd get it...But we will. Guarantee you we will.
Jatt
Rookie
And1: 251

Post#91 » by Jatt » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:04 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:Jacobs is that good spot, highly recommended to anyone who hasnt been.

I prefer Barberian's but yah, between the big three of Barberian's, Harbour 60 and Jacob's, a fan of steak is not left wanting.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,404

Post#92 » by ForeverTFC » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:22 pm

Phil A Xiao wrote:
JackedFinancier wrote:I hear Barberian's Steakhouse is great. I'm going to check that out in the next few weeks.

Barberians is okay. Meat's not that special though. They also have the very old school steakhouse vibe going on. Dark and dank interior.

Personally I much prefer Jacobs both for food and ambiance.

And yes, steak is definitely one of the few foods where you can taste the difference in quality. Agree w/ the comment re: saving a few bucks at the bar and reallocating it to a nice meal out once in a while. Definitely a nice change of pace and you might actually remember it the next day!

I find Japanese is the same.

Steak is always good, as is sushi. But a quality steak, and a quality sushi house, is always worth the price of admission.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#93 » by ontnut » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:02 pm

Eh. If you want to have that steak and not shell out that much, just go buy kobe beef or dry aged Cdn Prime from a upper end store like Cumbrae's and cook it at home. Bought a 3 bone in Prime rib for about the cost of a small boneless ribeye from any of the top steakhouses. It's not rocket science to cook a steak properly, especially if you have a good cast iron pan and a good ventilation system. Just stick a 2 inch thick bone in steak on a raised grill on a baking sheet, put your oven to the lowest setting you can, and cook until it's a bit below where you want it to end up temp wise, which takes a few hours for larger pieces. When it's almost done, set a cast iron on high heat for 10 mins to heat up. Then take out the steak, season liberally with salt and then sear it off quickly to finish the steak and form the crust, about 1-2 minutes each side max. Perfectly cooked everytime, with an awesome crust, and no grey ring inside.
Qhawe
Sixth Man
And1: 1,700

Post#94 » by Qhawe » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:06 pm

I've learned so much about steak on this thread.

Boogie Williams: Favourite Raptor
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,283

Post#95 » by ruckus » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:31 pm

ontnut wrote:Eh. If you want to have that steak and not shell out that much, just go buy kobe beef or dry aged Cdn Prime from a upper end store like Cumbrae's and cook it at home. Bought a 3 bone in Prime rib for about the cost of a small boneless ribeye from any of the top steakhouses. It's not rocket science to cook a steak properly, especially if you have a good cast iron pan and a good ventilation system. Just stick a 2 inch thick bone in steak on a raised grill on a baking sheet, put your oven to the lowest setting you can, and cook until it's a bit above where you want it temp wise, takes a few hours for larger pieces. When it's almost done, set a cast iron on high heat for 10 mins to heat up. Then take out the steak, season liberally with salt and then sear it off quickly to finish the steak and form the crust, about 1-2 minutes each side. Perfectly cooked everytime, with an awesome crust, and no grey ring inside.

I've always done it the opposite way - salt & pepper, let it sit for a bit, sear first in butter then finish off in the oven to get the "doneness" you want. Any recommendations on which grocery chains to buy steak from? I've had good experiences with Walmart and Costco. Don't sleep on that Walmart steak! It's decent for the price.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,843

Post#96 » by JShuttlesworth » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:52 pm

Jatt wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:Jacobs is that good spot, highly recommended to anyone who hasnt been.

I prefer Barberian's but yah, between the big three of Barberian's, Harbour 60 and Jacob's, a fan of steak is not left wanting.

Agreed, those spots are all top notch, it's hard to go wrong. I haven't been to Barberian's in years but I know that there are others who share your sentiments
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#97 » by ontnut » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:55 pm

ruckus wrote:
ontnut wrote:Eh. If you want to have that steak and not shell out that much, just go buy kobe beef or dry aged Cdn Prime from a upper end store like Cumbrae's and cook it at home. Bought a 3 bone in Prime rib for about the cost of a small boneless ribeye from any of the top steakhouses. It's not rocket science to cook a steak properly, especially if you have a good cast iron pan and a good ventilation system. Just stick a 2 inch thick bone in steak on a raised grill on a baking sheet, put your oven to the lowest setting you can, and cook until it's a bit above where you want it temp wise, takes a few hours for larger pieces. When it's almost done, set a cast iron on high heat for 10 mins to heat up. Then take out the steak, season liberally with salt and then sear it off quickly to finish the steak and form the crust, about 1-2 minutes each side. Perfectly cooked everytime, with an awesome crust, and no grey ring inside.

I've always done it the opposite way - salt & pepper, let it sit for a bit, sear first in butter then finish off in the oven to get the "doneness" you want. Any recommendations on which grocery chains to buy steak from? I've had good experiences with Walmart and Costco. Don't sleep on that Walmart steak! It's decent for the price.

Most people do it your way, but in fact, if you want to have a medium rare steak with a big, even, pink centre and a nice crust, the best way to do it is the method I described. If you cook it on high heat first, you'll end up with a gradient: seared outside, welldone outer ring, rare centre, and on top of that, it's very easy to over/under cook. With my method, you can use a thermometer to get to about 15 degrees below where you want it to be done, then the final searing process + resting will bring it up to that exact temp you want. If you want to get even fancier, for a larger chunk of meat, use a blowtorch to just slightly scorch the outside and get the fat rendering first, this will make it even better and the crust will form more easily.

I also don't use pepper before searing - the pepper burns very easily and throws the flavour of the steak off. Especially with a good steak I would avoid this. A lot of top steakhouses don't even put salt on it while searing, but I find salt makes the crust forming process easier at home, since the heat isn't as much as some steakhouse grills. Oh, and don't be afraid to flip the steak often, just do not pierce the meat with a fork or tongs. Most people recommend cooking the one side for 3 minutes or wahtever, then flipping onto the other side. Again, this works fine, but will produce the "gradient" of doneness. If you flip it more consistently, say every 30 secs or so, you will allow the crust to develop on the outside, without letting the heat penetrate too deep into the meat, cooking the outer ring.

Oh, and I would recommend using a neutral oil for initial the searing process, something like peanut oil, as it handles heat better than butter. I add the butter only at the end to allow it to brown slightly, otherwise it burns too quickly and gives off a bad taste. You could be all super fancy too and use a couple sticks of rosemary to brush the butter onto the steak. Just enough to give a hint of rosemary, but not overpowering.

I've seen some nice steaks at Metro actually. Loblaws too. I don't shop much at WalMart so I don't really know about their quality. Costco has some pretty good stuff too actually. I've started eating less red meat lately, so if I want a steak, I'll usually splurge and get one from a local butcher shop or a higher end store (AAA, or Cdn Prime).
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,077

Post#98 » by mihaic » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:23 pm

gamer4Life wrote:
Choker wrote:What's a wife?

Actually that is somebody else's wife.
Clementine9
RealGM
And1: 26,001

Post#99 » by Clementine9 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:24 pm

mihaic wrote:
gamer4Life wrote:
Choker wrote:What's a wife?

Actually that is somebody else's wife.

Which is something totally different. Don't mix them up.
Lateral Quicks wrote:Gradually JV's minutes will approach zero at the same time his points and rebounds approach infinity - a statistical singularity, if you will. Shrewd move from Nurse.

Return to Toronto Raptors