ImageImageImageImageImage

DeMar's post game comments: Confidence or Denial?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

What does DeMar's comments suggest to you?

Confidence
8%
Denial
59%
Nothing to see here, move along
33%

Total votes: 64

Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,205

Re: DeMar's post game comments: Confidence or Denial? 

Post#21 » by Dalek » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:01 pm

I honestly see what Demar is getting at with his one game comment. Overall, I think the team is playing better. There are concerns, but last night they were locked in until about the 5 minute mark of the fourth where things unravelled likely due to tired legs. The Detroit game also saw a great second half comeback that echoed what the Raps were like at the early part of the season.

I cannot emphasize this enough, but if we have no Lowry or a less than 75% healthy Lowry, we are at best a 8th seed in the East. We are not deep like Chicago where we can sustain losing our best player and still win games because GV and Lou cannot defend on the perimeter at a level that we need to win our match-ups. However, the team is finally figuring out how to play better without Lowry. Ross is making contributions, GV has found his shot, Tyler has been playing decent defence. These are all good signs, and when Lowry comes back we might be able to hit our peak at the right time.
Kenyon009
Banned User
And1: 1,869

Post#22 » by Kenyon009 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:13 pm

He should be benched. His ego's getting way too big. I would rather start James Johnson who provides better defense, help defense, passing, rebounding, and he can finish at the rim too. The new rotation should be something like this.

Val/Bebe
Patterson/Amir
JJ/Fields
Ross/DeRozan
Lowry/Lou

I'd bench Vasquez for Fields and maybe that would improve the IQ of the team. It sure as hell would prevent blow bys by a ton, and not to mention it would be able to recover to three point shooters on the defensive side. JJ should be getting 35 minutes a game. His stats are incredible.

Per 36 minutes he posts. 14 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks, and 2 steals on 59% FG%. Advanced stats are crazy good too he posts 62% TS% on a PER of 18. His three point shooting is the exact same as DeRozan's so it shouldn't be a big deal. Try something new Casey you friggin' idiot! And learn to bench the right guy. Vasquez's stats.

Per 36 15 points, 6 assists, 4 rebounds on an abyssal 41% FG% which is barely above 50% TS% on a PER of 13 (below league average). His NetRtg is a -7 while JJ is a +11. This is some of the most obvious s%^& in the world. It's also on the media guys to ask why isn't Vasquez being benched and JJ is?
faze
Senior
And1: 56

Post#23 » by faze » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:35 pm

Sounds like dude is just trying to stay positive. He's wrong, but I can understand his perspective.
rumsomal
Freshman
And1: 44

Post#24 » by rumsomal » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:48 pm

one game will not be enough, results where the competition is strong comes in waves, i guess they are due to improve.
kayliecee
Veteran
And1: 3,505

Post#25 » by kayliecee » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:51 pm

Jimbertree wrote:cmon b…

That was hilarious.

I think DD is not speaking his true mind, just giving the right sound bites. He can't exactly say, "We been coasting, man. Life is good, chill out, it's just a game." They need a sense of desperation, not confidence. They didn't "clinch the playoffs". Boston/Charlotte clinched it for them.
John Gibbons: "I have to do what's best for these guys and not what some bozo on RealGM thinks." (Paraphrasing)
Jambo
Pro Prospect
And1: 233

Post#26 » by Jambo » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:06 pm

DD isn't very bright so i'd expect him to believe crap like this . This streak has nothing to do with confidence and more to do with Casey allowing DD to be the show .

I hope we deal him in the off season for a pf and go with JJ and Ross in the starting unit .
suntzuballin
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#27 » by suntzuballin » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:41 pm

Its hard to be honest to yourself when you are tryn save face.
Vlade Divac
Head Coach
And1: 7,602

Post#28 » by Vlade Divac » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:32 pm

I was NEVER sold on him as a one of our franchise player. Somehow I tolerated his game all up to this season. I don't blame him for being completely delusional, but I blame the coach who gave him reins to abuse this team with his shooting, dribbling and distributing. Last night Raptors last 5-6 plays were all designed with him having a key part. The result is that the only good play he made was a crisp pass to Noah on Chicago bench.

If you are a playoff team and DeRozan is your first option you have a serious problem. And that is what we have now.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,778
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#29 » by Boogie! » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:12 pm

as much as there is some basis to the argument that we don't always know what's going on inside players' heads/we misinterpret their quotes, i'm getting pretty sick of the people that try to use this argument any time someone rips a player/coach for saying/doing something stupid… this sort of mindset implies we're all some sort of mindless drones that can't think for ourselves… it implies that every way we perceive something is wrong and we should go around pretending to be ignorant, naive, idiots because there's no way we can use evidence and all the information presented to us to make logical guesses or assumptions…

based on demar's overall playing style and the fact that the raptors have been losing so many games for the same reasons, it's perfectly within reason to assume that maybe demar is a bit delusional about the overall state of the team. it's not about one game turning it around… it's about playing a way that is conducive to winning.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Live Free
General Manager
And1: 2,836

Post#30 » by Live Free » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:46 pm

theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:
Live Free wrote:you really think your inside demars mind based off some meaningless and politically/professionally correct post game interviews?

Toronto media/fans are baseheads. Is he supposed to throw the team under the bus with the playoffs around the corner? :crazy:

He doesn't have to throw anyone under the bus; I personally would have liked to see some acknowledgement of the need for them to play better than they have been since Dec. Some realization that for some reason the level of play has fallen off, and that's it's not all been a couple lucky bounces.

Is it your point that you can't believe a player means what he says in his post game interviews, or only when it's not looked at in flattering way to him?

so you want him to acknowledge the team sucks, right before the playoffs & after Kyle pretty much said that last week. I dunno man, i'm fine with DeMar keeping spirits high and keeping everything else in house
RaptorReloaded
Veteran
And1: 970

Post#31 » by RaptorReloaded » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:37 pm

theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:
Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:Didn't DeMar give a similar answer after the Pistons game?

I think he's been saying similar things for a while.

Definitely
UneducatedFan86
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,590

Post#32 » by UneducatedFan86 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:06 am

Same thing he's been saying for the last two weeks. He's either in denial or really thinks that they can turn this around by the flick of a switch -- which is silly.

I think it's true that confidence can come and go, and it does only take one good game to get it back. But this isn't a matter of lacking confidence. This is a matter of a complete lack of execution on the defense end and long droughts on the offense end. These guys definitely haven't ever shown a lack of confidence in themselves. I'd even say that they had too much confidence at times. They should be looking in the mirror.

These comments by Casey and DeRozan really just show me that they have no idea what the hell is going on. This is a 40+ game stretch of just horrible basketball. Even in the games they won, it has just been a complete let down. They need to really figure out what it going on or the playoffs are going to be pretty ugly.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,877

Post#33 » by OAKLEY_2 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:51 am

Live Free wrote:you really think your inside demars mind based off some meaningless and politically/professionally correct post game interviews?

Toronto media/fans are baseheads. Is he supposed to throw the team under the bus with the playoffs around the corner? :crazy:

Yes exactly. What is he supposed to do with the egg they alljust laid? Carry it around like some ball and chain? Can't spend time just looking in the rear view mirror. He should be saying that some players see some issues but they can't articulate them because the egos will inflict a backlash or pay no attention. Pat and Amir should just call them all out and tell them rather than take yer fn shots pass the freakin ball and take care of the other end. If not expect some hands around their throats.
Rapz
Banned User
And1: 1,191

Post#34 » by Rapz » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:40 am

Demar must've been pounding Casey's rock with his head... sorry I don't have other explanation for his dumbness...

Sad part is that if one is not aware what is really wrong, he cannot improve even if he wants to...aka "you cannot fix stupid"
Sheldon Cooper
Pro Prospect
And1: 810

Post#35 » by Sheldon Cooper » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:13 am

Did he say anything about his defense at the end of the game last night? Twice he ran hard at Jimmy Butler on a pump fake resulting in easy baskets for the Bulls. Then he didn't step up to Brooks when Ross got hung up on a pick, resulting in an easy three. Those seven points happened at the critical juncture in the game, when it was up for the taking.
alevirfe
Starter
And1: 1,683

Post#36 » by alevirfe » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:43 am

I think DeMar definitely has that mindset. This is probably still the best team he's played on. The first half of the season seems like it was a long time ago but I think they can still regain form heading into the playoffs.

Our defence being so bad this year has a lot to do with Amir taking a step back IMO. He was phenomenal last year. I love Amir and I'll still defend him on his good nights, but our defensive system is predicated on him being the player he was the two previous years (and not this one).
mintsa wrote: Yeah….the “new car smell” is starting to wear off with Scottie.

bongmarley wrote:I thought he was supposed to be an elite defender. He is horrible. On the perimeter he gets blown by everytime Its really bad
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#37 » by Patman » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:34 am

I've heard this "we just need one game" spiel a few times this season, and it needs to stop. This has been the problem all season. Every time we win a game, we relax and think everything is fine.

We need to be more like Coach Pop and the Spurs. He doesn't focus on past wins and losses, he focuses on what they're doing wrong and what they're doing right.
orbesnet
Head Coach
And1: 4,276

Post#38 » by orbesnet » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:24 pm

at this point it's just a broken record, say the same things to the media so they'll leave you alone... but what do you want him to say?
Pascal to the future.
VinBaker6
RealGM
And1: 61,808

Post#39 » by VinBaker6 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:31 pm

I don't get it. You guys want him to say the team is trash and is gonna lose in the 1st round? Its the freakin media, don't take what he tells them at face value.

S/O to TZ!
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,733

Post#40 » by Basketball_Jones » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:32 pm

I don't know, I kind of believe it. This team can look like Jekyl and Hyde. World beaters one night, and right where their talent level should be the next. I think it takes a lot of focus and attention for opposing teams to beat them because they keep coming at you.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.

Return to Toronto Raptors