ImageImageImageImageImage

State of the Union. Team Canada Basketball. (FIBA Americas Aug.31-Sep.15)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Re: State of the Union. Team Canada Basketball. 

Post#401 » by mojo13 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 5:02 am

TheFutureMM wrote:So I think we can all agree that Cory Joseph is probably going to play at FIBA this summer now that he has signed with us. Thank god.

I was hoping he would take a shot at a starting gig in Philly or Dallas. You are right that it is good it is settled
TheFutureMM
Rookie
And1: 958

Post#402 » by TheFutureMM » Mon Jul 6, 2015 1:44 pm

mojo13 wrote:
TheFutureMM wrote:So I think we can all agree that Cory Joseph is probably going to play at FIBA this summer now that he has signed with us. Thank god.

I was hoping he would take a shot at a starting gig in Philly or Dallas. You are right that it is good it is settled

Agreed. From a Team Canada perspective I don't love it. Don't think he's a great fit and was hoping he would find somewhere to start or stay with the Spurs and continue to develop for one of the best coaches ever.
Mattd97
Head Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#403 » by Mattd97 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 2:39 pm

liam mcmorrow is playing well for the clippers in summer league
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#404 » by frumble » Mon Jul 6, 2015 3:52 pm

I was also hoping Joseph would go somewhere where he would have a better chance at starter minutes, but Tor should be an improvement over SA in terms of playing time. He was clearly behind Mills for SA, and received zero minutes in competitive games in the late regular season and playoffs.

I agree that with this settled we should be able to count on him for the FIBAs.

With all the articles written after the PanAm conference call suggesting that Wiggins, Stauskas and Olynyk will be on board for FIBAs, I think we are looking at several roster spots as being settled:

Joseph
English and Stauskas
Wiggins
Nicholson and Bennett
Olynyk

Anderson, Cadougan, or Pangos for the back up PG spot.
Heslip, Rautins or Hanlan for the 5th guard spot.
Doornekamp, Shepard, K. Joseph, or Ejim for the back-up 3 spot.
And two of Thompson, Powell, Sacre, and Anthony for the other 4/5 spots (with Bennett in some danger of losing his spot and three of these guys being taken if TT does participate).
mojo13
Veteran

Post#405 » by mojo13 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 4:48 pm

frumble wrote:I was also hoping Joseph would go somewhere where he would have a better chance at starter minutes, but Tor should be an improvement over SA in terms of playing time. He was clearly behind Mills for SA, and received zero minutes in competitive games in the late regular season and playoffs.

With all the articles written after the PanAm conference call suggesting that Wiggins, Stauskas and Olynyk will be on board for FIBAs, I think we are looking at several roster spots as being settled:

Joseph
English and Stauskas
Wiggins
Nicholson and Bennett
Olynyk

And two of Thompson, Powell, Sacre, and Anthony for the other 4/5 spots (with Bennett in some danger of losing his spot and three of these guys being taken if TT does participate).

I think (and hope) this is bang on.
I'd be surprised if we see something else (or disappointed as it would likely mean guys dropping out). I am really liking our chances with Olynyk, Cojo and Wiggins all there.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,452

Post#406 » by aminiaturebuddha » Mon Jul 6, 2015 5:44 pm

mojo13 wrote:
frumble wrote:I was also hoping Joseph would go somewhere where he would have a better chance at starter minutes, but Tor should be an improvement over SA in terms of playing time. He was clearly behind Mills for SA, and received zero minutes in competitive games in the late regular season and playoffs.

Joseph
English and Stauskas
Wiggins
Nicholson and Bennett
Olynyk

I'd be surprised if we see something else (or disappointed as it would likely mean guys dropping out). I am really liking our chances with Olynyk, Cojo and Wiggins all there.

This looks about right to me as well. Too bad about Ennis, although hopefully that won't hurt too much as Anderson (likely) won't be expected to play too many minutes as backup PG. I wonder if they'll go the obvious route and pick Heslip for that 5th guard spot, or choose someone like Hanlan to provide some more ball-handling since Ennis won't be there.

The backup SF spot still looks quite weak, but hopefully someone will distinguish themselves a bit during the Pan Am Games. I'm really hoping that Ejim or Pierre play very well in that tournament and make it difficult not to put them on the FIBA team, sparing us another tournament with Doornekamp or Shepherd. Speaking of which, is Shepherd even in the picture any more? I was kind of surprised to not see his name on the Pan Am tryout list.
Dread-Eye
Senior
And1: 116

Post#407 » by Dread-Eye » Mon Jul 6, 2015 6:14 pm

aminiaturebuddha wrote:
mojo13 wrote:

Joseph
English and Stauskas
Wiggins
Nicholson and Bennett
Olynyk

This looks about right to me as well. Too bad about Ennis, although hopefully that won't hurt too much as Anderson (likely) won't be expected to play too many minutes as backup PG. I wonder if they'll go the obvious route and pick Heslip for that 5th guard spot, or choose someone like Hanlan to provide some more ball-handling since Ennis won't be there.

The backup SF spot still looks quite weak, but hopefully someone will distinguish themselves a bit during the Pan Am Games. I'm really hoping that Ejim or Pierre play very well in that tournament and make it difficult not to put them on the FIBA team, sparing us another tournament with Doornekamp or Shepherd. Speaking of which, is Shepherd even in the picture any more? I was kind of surprised to not see his name on the Pan Am tryout list.

Sorry the search function doesn't work for me, but has Trey Lyles decided to play for Canada. He would be nice addition at the forward spot.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#408 » by mojo13 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 6:32 pm

As mentioned earlier in this thread , Trey has publicly stated he is focusing on his rookie NBA campaign (summer leagues, rookie orientation camp, getting settled in SLC) and not playing for the SMNT. No surprise as most 1st round rookies go this path.

However, he is yet unsigned and already rumors exist of a possible trade.
NBACommissioner
Banned User
And1: 177

Post#409 » by NBACommissioner » Mon Jul 6, 2015 6:34 pm

Cory Joseph should be on the Pan am roster...Raptors lost Vazquez as their rep so he should be there.
Dread-Eye
Senior
And1: 116

Post#410 » by Dread-Eye » Mon Jul 6, 2015 6:54 pm

mojo13 wrote:As mentioned earlier in this thread , Trey has publicly stated he is focusing on his rookie NBA campaign (summer leagues, rookie orientation camp, getting settled in SLC) and not playing for the SMNT. No surprise as most 1st round rookies go this path.

However, he is yet unsigned and already rumors exist of a possible trade.

Thanks for that.
goldenhawk
Junior
And1: 275

Post#411 » by goldenhawk » Mon Jul 6, 2015 7:09 pm

Bennett got a workout in today in Toronto. He is not in good shape at all according to my friend who worked him out. Long breaks between reps and no desire to go full speed. Went down at George Harvey CI
NBACommissioner
Banned User
And1: 177

Post#412 » by NBACommissioner » Mon Jul 6, 2015 8:00 pm

goldenhawk wrote:Bennett got a workout in today in Toronto. He is not in good shape at all according to my friend who worked him out. Long breaks between reps and no desire to go full speed. Went down at George Harvey CI

Don't really believe your friend. There are a bunch of video out there of Bennett's progress this summer and he looks like he's in great shape...Also it was reported he lost 20 pounds or something.
goldenhawk
Junior

Post#413 » by goldenhawk » Tue Jul 7, 2015 8:21 pm

Bennet just broke a rim with a nasty jam, hope a video creeps up here soon if anyone on here was in attendance!

[img]IMG_3309.JPG[/img]
goldenhawk
Junior

Post#414 » by goldenhawk » Tue Jul 7, 2015 8:23 pm

NBACommissioner wrote:
goldenhawk wrote:Bennett got a workout in today in Toronto. He is not in good shape at all according to my friend who worked him out. Long breaks between reps and no desire to go full speed. Went down at George Harvey CI

Don't really believe your friend. There are a bunch of video out there of Bennett's progress this summer and he looks like he's in great shape...Also it was reported he lost 20 pounds or something.

Apparently today's workout was a lot better. looking forward to seeing him play at Pan Am
Young_Buc
General Manager
And1: 9,130

Post#415 » by Young_Buc » Tue Jul 7, 2015 8:58 pm

Bennett's got the frame and game of draymond green. Yes even more athletic. Hopefully it comes together for him soon (draymond was still in college at his age)
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,975

Post#416 » by MEDIC » Tue Jul 7, 2015 9:16 pm

NBACommissioner wrote:
aminiaturebuddha wrote:One thing I love about these tournaments is that usually the talent will rise to the top on each team and you get a sense of who the players to watch are over the course of the various games.

For Team Canada, it was clear that Dillon Brooks was the best player, although he's also the oldest and with the most experience (played significant minutes as a starter in the NCAA last year).

Justin Jackson was next for me. He may not ever live up to the "next big thing" hype, I'm still not sure if he has NBA potential or not, but he's a very good all around player, and usually seems to be the smartest player on the court. Worst case scenario, I think, is that he has a very good college career at UNLV and then a pro career in Europe.

Corey Johnson was also very good and has one dominant skill (shooting), that will be interesting to see how far it takes him. I hadn't really paid too much attention to him in the past, but definitely someone I'll be watching at Harvard. Hopefully he remains a significant part of the Canadian program, because you can never have enough shooters.

The other guy I'd like to point out is Abu Kigab. He plays with a lot of energy. He was by far the youngest player on the team though, and it shows in his skill level. Still, there's something there if he can harness it, and it'll be interesting to see where he is in 2 years when he's the same age that Brooks is now.

Honestly I'm a big Canada basketball supporter but I really don't like Justin Jackson's game. He's been overrated from the start.

Watching him at the HS allstar game, I wasn't all that impressed. Looked like big man athleticism trapped in a SF body.

I was actually more impressed with Jerome Desrosiers as an athlete.

Not an overly fluid athlete.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,975

Post#417 » by MEDIC » Tue Jul 7, 2015 9:18 pm

Jamal Murray will be the best player on this roster. That will be clear.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Young_Buc
General Manager
And1: 9,130

Post#418 » by Young_Buc » Tue Jul 7, 2015 10:01 pm

MEDIC wrote:Jamal Murray will be the best player on this roster. That will be clear.

I think he's gonna surprise some people and make the FIBA team.
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#419 » by Undefeated » Tue Jul 7, 2015 10:16 pm

Young_Buc wrote:
MEDIC wrote:Jamal Murray will be the best player on this roster. That will be clear.

I think he's gonna surprise some people and make the FIBA team.

Classes already start then I believe so he won't be able to participate.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
TheFutureMM
Rookie
And1: 958

Post#420 » by TheFutureMM » Wed Jul 8, 2015 12:18 am

Uh... I would manage expectations. Maybe in a couple years.

Andrew Nicholson is probably going to be the best player on the Pan AM roster. Depending on the minutes I think he puts up about 20 and 8.

Return to Toronto Raptors