ImageImageImageImageImage

Masai support poll - update your vote at any time

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

do you guys still support Masai?

1) No - Masai could not bring one significant starter in 2 seasons and was content to resign Casey and maintain BC's soft core of chuckers, results are clear
36%
2) Yes - Masai is the man
64%

Total votes: 306

grumpwalter
Analyst
And1: 1,410

Re: Masai support poll 

Post#81 » by grumpwalter » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:55 pm

thunderforce wrote:Masai was brought here to rebuild and he should get a chance to do it .

he had his chance to, but turned it down.
theaub
Senior
And1: 993

Post#82 » by theaub » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:59 pm

grumpwalter wrote:
thunderforce wrote:Masai was brought here to rebuild and he should get a chance to do it .

Which players that are on this roster besides Amir held more value 1.5 years ago than they do now? As bad as Lowry's been the past three months he's still an all-star point guard on an incredibly team-friendly salary. DeMar's value has increased if anything. Jonas has looked better this year (although Casey's done a good job of trying to kill his value). Ross probably is worse but he was a tire fire to begin with.

If he wants to rebuild, there is still plenty of time to do so. Just coming in and scorching the earth isn't always the best way to do things...

And honestly, its more than fair that he took a chance to see what this team had. A pretty large number of the people who want him to blow it up now were the same ones pencilling them into the ECF five months ago.
thunderforce
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,136

Post#83 » by thunderforce » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:59 pm

grumpwalter wrote:

True but the way the team was playing then , he really could not blow it up at that time , but now he can .
grumpwalter
Analyst

Post#84 » by grumpwalter » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:09 pm

thunderforce wrote:
grumpwalter wrote:

True but the way the team was playing then , he really could not blow it up at that time , but now he can .

there's a difference between not being able to and choosing not to, Masai clearly chose not to, you always have a choice.
Financials
Sixth Man
And1: 1,859

Post#85 » by Financials » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:15 pm

he was given a chance.

the one chance in history when even casual fans in toronto understood what tanking could do for a team. hell, tsn aired college basketball cause of the damn hype!!

its over now, back to tanking is for losers and win-now mentality (win what? idk).

he passed up 2 years of rebuilding for 2 years of what we just experienced. Was it worth it? I don't know, but his time is running out. He has 5 years (many gms dont make it the full deal) and hes used up 2, if he blows it up in year 3, it wont be finished by year 5.
theaub
Senior
And1: 993

Post#86 » by theaub » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:17 pm

If tanking guaranteed Wiggins, Masai would've tanked

Tanking in no way, shape or form would have come close to guaranteeing Wiggins
Financials
Sixth Man

Post#87 » by Financials » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:18 pm

Iamtheliquor wrote:
Financials wrote:
Iamtheliquor wrote:Masai is not the problem. Lets see what he does this off-season with a pick in the 20's where he has historically drafted good players for that range (Faried, Fournier). Maybe he brings in a coach of his choosing, and the cap is projected to go up. Plus, maybe he pulls off another great trade. Remember how he fleeced NYK for Bargnanai, let alone the Gay trade that gave us an entire bench? Give him time. And if this core doesn't work out I want Masai leading the rebuild.

hahahahaha people still give MU credit for the Rudy Gay trade.

he himself said it went the opposite way of his plan ... he had no idea that would occur, he wanted to blow it up...

again - the same fans who say this now probably were up in arms when rudy was traded for vasquez ppat chuck and salmons.

I do give him credit as it wasn't even a year and a half ago. Plus it led to 48 and 49 wins. I'm not happy with how this season has turned out in the final months and playoffs, but Masai has at least started something good here and that's why I support him and am excited to see what he does in the off-season.

So if something completely lucky (and actually completely opposite of what the gm expected) happens, its okay to give them full credit for it because it happened recently? What the **** kind of logic are you spittin.

As I said, he had no intention of us getting better with that trade, and what we got in return was a surprise to MU aswell as the fanbase. Hell, he continued to try to dismantle the other pieces even after the team went hot because he still knew it was luck..

Masai didn't start anything good. The team of misfits and players with no home (many whom needed deals) decided to turn up and play for pride, and they went on a hot streak. Now they all have deals, all have a year together, and that mojo is gone.

The honeymoon is over, the lucky dice ran dry.. Time to switch it up.
Financials
Sixth Man

Post#88 » by Financials » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:20 pm

theaub wrote:If tanking guaranteed Wiggins, Masai would've tanked

Tanking in no way, shape or form would have come close to guaranteeing Wiggins

Wiggins and Parker and Embiid are all studs. There are a ton of other good picks in that bunch too.

It was pretty much a lock for a top 5 pick if we blew it up. Given that we had actual assets we could package to move up, a team like the cavs might have traded wiggins to us if we picked someone they also wanted @ 2-5 and added vet pieces to go with LBJ after the draft, who knows.

crazier things have happened, his a canadian kid, gms know there is fear of him going home esp. places like cleveland or whatnot, so giving a solid package wouldn't be as far fetched as making the ECF with this core.
Iamtheliquor
Rookie
And1: 1,176

Post#89 » by Iamtheliquor » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:30 pm

Financials wrote:
Iamtheliquor wrote:
Financials wrote:
hahahahaha people still give MU credit for the Rudy Gay trade.

he himself said it went the opposite way of his plan ... he had no idea that would occur, he wanted to blow it up...

again - the same fans who say this now probably were up in arms when rudy was traded for vasquez ppat chuck and salmons.

I do give him credit as it wasn't even a year and a half ago. Plus it led to 48 and 49 wins. I'm not happy with how this season has turned out in the final months and playoffs, but Masai has at least started something good here and that's why I support him and am excited to see what he does in the off-season.

So if something completely lucky (and actually completely opposite of what the gm expected) happens, its okay to give them full credit for it because it happened recently? What the **** kind of logic are you spittin.

As I said, he had no intention of us getting better with that trade, and what we got in return was a surprise to MU aswell as the fanbase. Hell, he continued to try to dismantle the other pieces even after the team went hot because he still knew it was luck..

Masai didn't start anything good. The team of misfits and players with no home (many whom needed deals) decided to turn up and play for pride, and they went on a hot streak. Now they all have deals, all have a year together, and that mojo is gone.

Luck plays a part in this game as in many things. Yes you're right, the intention behind the Gay trade wasn't to get to 48 wins. But a fortunate accident happened and here we are 48 and 49 wins later. So yes he has started something good here and he deserves some credit for that. The players like one another and this city, which has often not been the case as we all too well know.

Serious question, do you want him fired? If not what do you want from him this off-season?
grumpwalter
Analyst

Post#90 » by grumpwalter » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:34 pm

Iamtheliquor wrote:
Financials wrote:
Iamtheliquor wrote:

Luck plays a part in this game as in many things. Yes you're right, the intention behind the Gay trade wasn't to get to 48 wins. But a fortunate accident happened and here we are 48 and 49 wins later. So yes he has started something good here and he deserves some credit for that. The players like one another and this city, which has often not been the case as we all too well know.

Serious question, do you want him fired? If not what do you want from him this off-season?

I want him to fire Casey, if he doesn't do that, he can go so that someone else will fire Casey, because he clearly is the only one standing in the way of it happening.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,881

Post#91 » by deeps6x » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:36 pm

While I'm still leaning towards supporting Masai, I will say time has run out for 'evaluating' this team.

This summer, he needs to trade up in the draft and grab a big man. Frank the tank Kaminsky would be my choice, but Cauley-Stein might slip to the same 10 range. Either will be key parts for the future of the team.

Step 2. Fire Casey. Maybe Cuban gets so pissed at the first round exit that coach Rick becomes available (fingers crossed).

Step 3. Trade parts of the current core. Can he move JV ++ for Cousins? Make it happen. Can he fetch a nice package for DD? Make it happen. GV for a bag of pucks? That is a good trade. Do it.

Find a way to give this team hope for the future, this summer, or you might as well start packing your bags MU.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Financials
Sixth Man

Post#92 » by Financials » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:41 pm

Iamtheliquor wrote:
Financials wrote:
Iamtheliquor wrote:

He needs to fire casey immediately following the series loss.

Trade the core, shake it up, I don't know whats available so he has to make that call .. but I want a certified piece to start building around. If that means trading for a 25-28 year old in his prime, so be it.. If we can pull an amazing young player, even better. Trade for top picks? im down. We don't have a single untouchable, or legitimate core piece right now. The closest thing is JV and hes honestly a 3rd - 4th option on a contender and his d is lacking.

Ill evaluate after he makes his moves, but he needs to make some moves in a hurry. Id prefer some sort of trade like Lowry and Ross + picks for DeMarcus, but i know thats just a pipe dream.
RedX
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,947

Post#93 » by RedX » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:43 pm

grumpwalter wrote:
RedX wrote:
grumpwalter wrote:
Isn't that what he's supposed to evaluate?

Sure, and he got the 6th man of the year. Pretty good risk to reward if you ask me. He improved our bench by trading a nobody for a somebody. I would argue that Lou isn't the issue this season, I point fingers at GV, Jonas has looked quite bad, Ross hasn't jumped as much as we had hoped for, and our coach can't run an offence or sustain a defence. Lou is the least of our problems, he at least did the job he was brought in to do.

I think some of you just need to hate something, anything. A steady beam of distaste that just needs a target. Sorry to say that MU isn't the one you should be pointing fingers at. In fact, we should be thankful to have him to clean up the issues this team is having, he's the best man for the job.

let's see if he is actually able to clean up the issue though, it depends if a no-brainer trade comes up, since that's all he's done since he's come here.

You speak as though trading Rudy for a better bench was a given — no, it was a tanking move that worked out differently than expected and made us better. Salmons for Lou was more or less an experiment that again worked out probably beyond what MU hoped for. He traded Bargnani for a PICK and whatever else.

None of those things are no-brainer trades... Even getting some of those trades to even be possible is impressive, and none of the players we got from them were clear-cut obvious moves for us to make, none.
grumpwalter
Analyst

Post#94 » by grumpwalter » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:49 pm

RedX wrote:
grumpwalter wrote:
RedX wrote:
Sure, and he got the 6th man of the year. Pretty good risk to reward if you ask me. He improved our bench by trading a nobody for a somebody. I would argue that Lou isn't the issue this season, I point fingers at GV, Jonas has looked quite bad, Ross hasn't jumped as much as we had hoped for, and our coach can't run an offence or sustain a defence. Lou is the least of our problems, he at least did the job he was brought in to do.

I think some of you just need to hate something, anything. A steady beam of distaste that just needs a target. Sorry to say that MU isn't the one you should be pointing fingers at. In fact, we should be thankful to have him to clean up the issues this team is having, he's the best man for the job.

let's see if he is actually able to clean up the issue though, it depends if a no-brainer trade comes up, since that's all he's done since he's come here.

You speak as though trading Rudy for a better bench was a given — no, it was a tanking move that worked out differently than expected and made us better. Salmons for Lou was more or less an experiment that again worked out probably beyond what MU hoped for. He traded Bargnani for a PICK and whatever else.

None of those things are no-brainer trades... Even getting some of those trades to even be possible is impressive, and none of the players we got from them were clear-cut obvious moves for us to make, none.

with the Bargnani trade, he put a bum on the market, see if anyone wants him, luckily, someone did, like I said, if David Kahn put Bargnani on the market and someone took the offer (and like I said before, ripping off Dolan is not exactly rocket science), any GM looking to tank would have done the Rudy trade too, as for Lou, he was originally just a salary dump.
kieferli
Analyst
And1: 4,079

Masai support poll 

Post#95 » by kieferli » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:18 pm

Seriously he didn't make any big move yet so it is hard to say anything until he did something major . The problem is we did play well with this group this 2 seasons it is hard for him to suddenly have a big change . But this year he will have good excuse to make a big change and could be even have coach change . I think this summer Raptors will be really active.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#96 » by Geddy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:34 pm

I do believe he was going to rebuild last season after the Gay trade, but the team surprisingly took off and he was handcuffed. I doubt management would have let him make any drastic moves with the success they were experiencing. Getting embarrassed by the Wiz might just give Masai more leverage with management to make big moves in the off season.
Inevitable wrote:Geddy is a good mod actually
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,881

Post#97 » by deeps6x » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:34 pm

Salmons for Lou+Bebe
Bargs for anything (let alone a potential top 10 pick next year)
Rudy Gay for a 48 win team with a bench

His strength seems to be his ability to make good trades. So go ahead and make a bunch more this summer MU.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
GP2
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,523

Post#98 » by GP2 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:36 pm

Masai's rep is based on hoodwinking an idiotic Knicks front office...TWICE. He has yet to produce any substantial results, but I say we give him a chance.
TheGoodDoctor
General Manager
And1: 8,607

Post#99 » by TheGoodDoctor » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:42 pm

Honestly can't say one way or the other until we see what he does with the cap space & picks (plus young players).
RedX
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,947

Post#100 » by RedX » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:00 pm

grumpwalter wrote:
RedX wrote:
grumpwalter wrote:

with the Bargnani trade, he put a bum on the market, see if anyone wants him, luckily, someone did, like I said, if David Kahn put Bargnani on the market and someone took the offer (and like I said before, ripping off Dolan is not exactly rocket science), any GM looking to tank would have done the Rudy trade too, as for Lou, he was originally just a salary dump.

I love how hard you're trying to undermine all of the otherwise excellent decisions made by MU. Keep reaching.

Return to Toronto Raptors