ImageImageImageImageImage

Coaching candidates discussion thread

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Young_Buc
General Manager
And1: 9,130

Re: Coaching candidates discussion thread 

Post#61 » by Young_Buc » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:19 pm

cammac wrote:1st. Choice Kevin Ollie ex NBA player, 1 NCAA Championship, players like Durant love him and is young. Have excellent assistants like Whitman if fired for defensive coordinator and someone like Triano for offensive coordinator.
2nd. Steve Nash ( unlikely) with great assistants
3rd Mike Malone
4th best young assistant

Awesome choices.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,523

Post#62 » by bluerap23 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:20 pm

KingOfTheCourt
Senior
And1: 131

Post#63 » by KingOfTheCourt » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:29 pm

I'd absolutely love to get Thibs but there's no way he's going to come to Toronto... I'd think he'd be looking at Orlando or possibly New Orleans if Williams is let go. The thing is there are guy out there that are really good coaches that we just never heard of. Guys like Frank Vogel, Quinn Snyder and Dave Joerger were nobodys before they got hired and are all pretty good coaches, especially Vogel who I think is an elite coach. Masai shouldn't limit his search for a coach just to the NBA but look everywhere, including NCAA, Europe and even the D-League. I would personally love it if he could fine a young coach who is little more experimental and more open to trying different and sometimes unconventional things. At the very least get an assistant coach who you feel can someday be a great head coach and try to develop him. Just like player development, coaching development is just as important to a franchise's success and right now the only guys who I've seen develop good coaches are Riley and Pop.
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#64 » by Geddy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:29 pm

Why are some people suggesting Nash? I think we've had enough of inexperienced coaches.
Inevitable wrote:Geddy is a good mod actually
kieferli
Analyst
And1: 4,061

Post#65 » by kieferli » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:30 pm

Hire Nash could be a choice since you can see Jason Kidds and Kerr did really well to their team.
But we may have to look for the coach like JVG first but he is too long didn't coach a team I don't know if he can still doing it lol
Credit:Clutch0z24
22haytham22
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,265

Post#66 » by 22haytham22 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:31 pm

If you guys honestly think Tibs can take our current roster into contention than we are in trouble. If we somehow get Cousins along with keeping Derozan and Lowry, than that is a different story.

TreadMilling Since 1995

Darain wrote:Dude is like 6-10, 6-12 at the most
But he is definitely not 7 foot
wegetitin08
Rookie
And1: 1,632

Post#67 » by wegetitin08 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:17 pm

Mike Malone

/thread
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#68 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:21 pm

How about Ettore Messina, who's on the Spurs coaching staff?
wegetitin08
Rookie
And1: 1,632

Post#69 » by wegetitin08 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:25 pm

Y'all want accountability and no sugarcoating BS...here you have it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYcdov_2vxw
Rhythm043
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,865

Post#70 » by Rhythm043 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:26 pm

Mike Malone is good hire...yea okay..just how Casey was a good hire at the time..

Raptorland: Where we change the coach every 2 years.

We need a good coach and we need that coach to stay and implement a program that runs the same way no matter what players come to play for this team. A Jerry Sloan type system, a Popovich type system.

Still not entirely blaming Casey here.. our players need to show up. Where's the pride?
On Gerald Henderson vs Derozan:
"Yes. Hendo is quite a bit better than DeMar.
So yes, I do believe he's currently the better player and do project that will continue to be in the future. I would also take Turner over DD."
--Throwback24,Jan 2014
MFS
Analyst
And1: 5,326

Post#71 » by MFS » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:54 pm

Though Scott Brooks is fired and available, he might be a worse coach than Casey. I struggled to see an offensive identity for OKC it was more your turn now my turn with KD and YNB. I am not a Casey fan, but I am lesser of a fan of Brooks.
Credit to Turbo_Zone

Casey again says, "I don't think someone dominated us, I wouldn't use that word."
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,864

Re: MIKE MALONE! 

Post#72 » by deeps6x » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:50 pm

becausephilchow wrote:Wouldn't mind him.

Thibs > Malone > Blatt

Would be a nice perk for DMC to come here, though, he has no control over when/where he gets traded to, lol.

Thibs > Malone > Blatt

I agree. But everyone laughed when I suggested Malone be our new coach, right after he was fired. I'd hope they could at least agree that Thibs is better than Casey, and that MU snatches him up if Chicago decides to let him go.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,174

Post#73 » by LLJ » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:54 pm

Honestly, you want someone with playoff experience and who knows how to win a round (or two or three). The fact is, Casey has been a good regular season coach, overall. He's just a very poor playoff coach. We need someone who can make the right tactical decisions and adjustments, play the right mind games. Hiring yet another coach who's not proven or has never won a round before is probably a waste.

Thibs all the way.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#74 » by whysoserious » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:56 pm

Young_Buc wrote:
cammac wrote:1st. Choice Kevin Ollie ex NBA player, 1 NCAA Championship, players like Durant love him and is young. Have excellent assistants like Whitman if fired for defensive coordinator and someone like Triano for offensive coordinator.
2nd. Steve Nash ( unlikely) with great assistants
3rd Mike Malone
4th best young assistant

Awesome choices.

How is Steve Nash considered a good choice? He hasn't even coached ever, just retired and has 0 experience. I don't get this obsession some seem to have with bringing Nash in in some capacity.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#75 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:56 pm

LLJ wrote:Honestly, you want someone with playoff experience and who knows how to win a round (or two or three). The fact is, Casey has been a good regular season coach, overall. He's just a very poor playoff coach. We need someone who can make the right tactical decisions and adjustments, play the right mind games. Hiring yet another coach who's not proven or has never won a round before is probably a waste.

Thibs all the way.

I honestly think we'll either keep Dwane, or hire Steve Nash.
grumpwalter
Analyst
And1: 1,410

Post#76 » by grumpwalter » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:56 pm

I wonder what Bruce Bowen would be like as a coach, he was one of my favourite players for a long time, he could be intriguing, we should at least give him a look as an assistant.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,174

Post#77 » by LLJ » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:00 pm

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:
LLJ wrote:Honestly, you want someone with playoff experience and who knows how to win a round (or two or three). The fact is, Casey has been a good regular season coach, overall. He's just a very poor playoff coach. We need someone who can make the right tactical decisions and adjustments, play the right mind games. Hiring yet another coach who's not proven or has never won a round before is probably a waste.

Thibs all the way.

I honestly think we'll either keep Dwane, or hire Steve Nash.

I wouldn't be surprised if we kept Dwane either. It depends on what Masai thinks of him. I've heard conflicting reports.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#78 » by Kabookalu » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:38 pm

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:How about Ettore Messina, who's on the Spurs coaching staff?

It's been hinted that he's going to take over the Spurs after Poppovich retires.
Read on Twitter
Mascot
Lead Assistant
And1: 972

Post#79 » by Mascot » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:53 pm

I want Mark Jackson.
PrimoPastaLover
Banned User
And1: 493

Post#80 » by PrimoPastaLover » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:02 pm