ImageImageImageImageImage

What were you doing back in 2001?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

James_Raptors
RealGM
And1: 10,800

Re: What were you doing back in 2001? 

Post#61 » by James_Raptors » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:26 pm

In 2001 I was in my early 30's living north of Toronto (bought the house in 1995) and I just started playing one of my all-time favorite pvp PC games, Dark Age of Camelot.
08-14-'21:
(re: Scottie Barnes)
-Top 3 Raptors of all-time, 5+ ASG, Min 1 All-NBA 1st /2nd,Min 3 All-Def 1st or 2nd team,between years 2-3 in the running for best current player on our roster,best Raptor on the team, multiple years in a row

RIP Hater
RealGM
And1: 66,480

Post#62 » by 720 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:30 pm

I was in the 2nd grade just chillin like a villain because at that point I wasn't really following the raptors like that.
Macho
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,422

Post#63 » by Macho » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:33 pm

I was 11 years old. The only things I vividly remember from 2001 were the birth of my little sister, 9/11 and sitting on the floor in front of my TV watching game 7 vs Philly.
JYD
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,209

Post#64 » by JYD » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:45 pm

Looking for a decent job out of university, discovering this place, thinking now that we signed AD and JYD we'd arrived on the NBA scene. :lol:

C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,111

Post#65 » by C Court » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:51 pm

At the ACC in my centre court season seats watching a 12 year old Steph Curry stand behind the arc and nail two-handed three after three after three .......
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
Inevitable
RealGM
And1: 134,630

Post#66 » by Inevitable » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:53 am

You ain't a OG Raptor fan if you don't remember when games were on this channel

Canada_7
General Manager
And1: 2,486

Post#67 » by Canada_7 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:54 am

LLJ wrote:14 years ago was the ONLY time we won a playoff series in franchise history. Geez, how long ago it feels sometimes.

Fixed. Yes, the Raptors have only ever won ONE playoff series in its existence. Back when first round series would only go 5 games.

I was in grade 5 heading to grade 6 at that point...and yeah like a few others, seems like 9/11 really is the only thing I remember too much in particular. I remember hearing about in school and being shocked, but wasn't aware of how bad things were until I went home that evening and watched the news and TV.

I wasn't really a basketball fan at that point but I do remember watching Game 7 and being shocked that Carter missed the 3. Just thought it was absolutely ridiculous how unstoppable Iverson as I watched him as a kid.

Being a big hockey fan back then, it was 2002 that I remember more than 2001. I was following the Leafs quite a bit back then though, as they were regularly a playoff team in the early 2000s with Sundin/Roberts/Mogilny as the top line. Back in 2002, the Leafs managed to go to the Conference Finals only to get taken down by the Carolina Hurricanes (who they really should have beat I thought back then) and Canada finally won a gold medal in men's Olympic hockey. Basketball wise, I couldn't believe Hakeem Olajuwon came to the Raptors. I thought it was another case of mistaken identity (for a little while, I thought Charles Oakley was the same guy as the Round Mount of Rebound they call Charles Barkley; don't make fun of me I was a kid back then). I remember the Raptors not having Carter down the stretch and being in a horrible position and likely missing the playoffs...only to have Antonio Davis and Alvin Williams leading the charge winning like 12 of the last 14 to make it in for a first round matchup against the Detroit Pistons. I thought the Raptors would get swept (going down 2-0 helped prove my point at first), but when the Raptors won Games 3 and 4, I thought to myself the Raptors had a chance at beating the Pistons. Then Chris Childs decides to have a brainfart at the very end of the game.
mesomorph
Junior
And1: 586

Post#68 » by mesomorph » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:07 am

GED Education wrote:
joseph227 wrote:All I remember from 2001 was 9/11.

Do you guys remember what you were doing and where you were during 9/11?

I woke up and was listening to the Fan590....back then, Bob McCown would do morning segment spots with Pat Marsden and John Derringer, who hosted the morning show.

For some reason Bob was talking about the World Trade Centre and memories of the terrorist attack....I thought he was talking about the attack a few years prior. I run downstairs to put the TV on and CNN was showing it as it happen....as I turned it on (or a few minutes after), I believe only the first plane hit the WTC. Minutes later the second plane hit and I thought they were showing a replay of the first plane....
'
i was wondering, what people in America or Canada are talking now about that terrorist attack?
as far as i know, more and more people outside of USA don't believe in that story that was told, and admit that it was america's government, who blew up those buildings.
Do Americans still believe that it was binladen and others..?
Demars Chode
Banned User
And1: 169

Post#69 » by Demars Chode » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:11 am

Inevitable wrote:You ain't a OG Raptor fan if you don't remember when games were on this channel

we are, the new VR...smh
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#70 » by SharoneWright » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:22 am

GED Education wrote:

I woke up and was listening to the Fan590....back then, Bob McCown would do morning segment spots with Pat Marsden and John Derringer, who hosted the morning show.

For some reason Bob was talking about the World Trade Centre and memories of the terrorist attack....I thought he was talking about the attack a few years prior. I run downstairs to put the TV on and CNN was showing it as it happen....as I turned it on (or a few minutes after), I believe only the first plane hit the WTC. Minutes later the second plane hit and I thought they were showing a replay of the first plane....

Dude, this was forever a mystery to me. I distinctly remember pulling into my work (it was my first year after graduating) and flipping to the Fan at the last second. Someone said something about the World Trade Centre and I turned off the car. This was about 1 hour before the first plane hit. w.e.i.r.d.

I also remember (though not the owner of the small business I worked at) considering shutting down the office when the significance of what was going on became clear. A rep for a product line was also in the office that day and was saying how his/her (don't remember) niece/nephew (don't remember) worked in one of the towers...
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Canada_7
General Manager
And1: 2,486

Post#71 » by Canada_7 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:25 am

Centre Court wrote:At the ACC in my centre court season seats watching a 12 year old Steph Curry stand behind the arc and nail two-handed three after three after three .......

Did you walk over and start talking to him about his future in the NBA?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg43SKN0keY[/youtube]
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#72 » by J-Roc » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:34 am

I'm so old life was much the same.

I do remember how even as "good" as we wanted to believe our team was, no one ever thought they were remotely a contender. Terrible PG, no C, no SF. It was a team full of holes.
Raptors_Dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 8,943

Post#73 » by Raptors_Dynasty » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:37 am

GED Education wrote:

I went home for lunch that day in the second grade, and I saw what happened on TV.. Then when I went back to school the teacher made us all huddle around and we talked about what was going on... Thinking back it was weird how my teacher tried to discuss 9/11 with a bunch of 2nd graders.. But it was THAT unbelievable of an event.
Raptors_Dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 8,943

Post#74 » by Raptors_Dynasty » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:40 am

mesomorph wrote:
GED Education wrote:

'
i was wondering, what people in America or Canada are talking now about that terrorist attack?
as far as i know, more and more people outside of USA don't believe in that story that was told, and admit that it was america's government, who blew up those buildings.
Do Americans still believe that it was binladen and others..?

Personally I believe there is evidence that isn't being shared by the American government.. Not saying they are responsible for this 100% no doubt, but there are a lot of holes in the official investigation that the U.S government isn't too keen to fill in.
TheGoodDoctor
General Manager
And1: 8,607

Post#75 » by TheGoodDoctor » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:43 am

I was second year university, going out literally 5x a week (sometimes 6), getting sh*tfaced for at least half those nights and playing Russian roulette in the sack with no protection aka I pulled a Charlie Sheen and just as lucky to be alive and healthy after how foolish I was. As for the Raptors, of course VC had stolen my heart, wanted to plan a hit on McGrady for breaking up the "next Jordan & Pippen" while resenting the Lakers wishing we could have been in a showdown with them for years. All while thinking YOLO before there was such a lame catch phrase because 9/11 happened so I wanted to have as much "fun" as I could before I died not realizing it could have been my cause of death.

Those were the days...
Inevitable
RealGM
And1: 134,630

Post#76 » by Inevitable » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:44 am

Raptors_Dynasty wrote:
GED Education wrote:

I went home for lunch that day in the second grade, and I saw what happened on TV.. Then when I went back to school the teacher made us all huddle around and we talked about what was going on... Thinking back it was weird how my teacher tried to discuss 9/11 with a bunch of 2nd graders.. But it was THAT unbelievable of an event.

Talking to second graders isn't any better than talking to Ja Rule about it.
UnderdogRaptors
RealGM
And1: 44,305

Post#77 » by UnderdogRaptors » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:46 am

Inevitable wrote:
Raptors_Dynasty wrote:
GED Education wrote:

Talking to second graders isn't any better than talking to Ja Rule about it.

Dead lmfao
BC_IS_A_PLAYA wrote:jonas sucks, his dad should have got a vasectomy
PurplePJs
Veteran
And1: 2,025

Post#78 » by PurplePJs » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:46 am

Inevitable wrote:You ain't a OG Raptor fan if you don't remember when games were on this channel

Games were simulcast on the radio. Was driving up to Barrie and remember hearing swirsk go nuts when VC posterized mutombo.

Wish Pizza Hut would bring back the Big New Yorker.
Hit Em Up
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,778

Post#79 » by Hit Em Up » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:47 am

I was in elementary school. I remember playing basketball with my friends before the games outside.. even before the early games.
Now I sit on realgm before the games.. growing up sucks :(

Thanks for making me feel old OP
UnderdogRaptors
RealGM
And1: 44,305

Post#80 » by UnderdogRaptors » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:50 am

Rhythm043 wrote:
UnderdogRaptors wrote:Swimming around in my daddy's ballsack

Are you really 14 or 15 years old?

Nah jokes I was 9 :P, wasn't a raps fan back then but as I grew older alot of my friends liked them so did I but was more into playing basketball wasn't a huge fan until 09
BC_IS_A_PLAYA wrote:jonas sucks, his dad should have got a vasectomy

Return to Toronto Raptors