ImageImageImageImageImage

Bill Simmons muses on possible Raptors trades

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Slim_Charles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,516

Re: Bill Simmons muses on possible Raptors trades 

Post#41 » by Slim_Charles » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:22 am

Hello fellow posters,

What about trades involving DD and Faried? Would you guys support a trade like that?

I also heard that Aldridge is not feeling Portland anymore... do you think there is any chance for him to come to Toronto? I know he'll be courted by the Mavericks and Spurs

DD + JV for Cousins - is that a feasible trade?

Or should the Raptors target Marc Gasol?
Vlade Divac
Head Coach
And1: 7,602

Post#42 » by Vlade Divac » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:10 am

I would trade DD for ANY STARTING SG. Period. Any! Would throw in Ross to balance salaries if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Waylon Mercy
Banned User
And1: 6,644

Post#43 » by Waylon Mercy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:04 am

gaoj2 wrote:People rush for a trade is nobrainer, just stupid, it's like your girlfriend break up with you and you try to find a girl just to let your ex girl know you are attractive.
We won 49 games, even get sweep by the Wizards, that's ok, but break up our back court for geroge hill or collision just not making sense.
Just keep the core, and add some pieces through free agent and draft, plus JV need to develop. ross has to go. That's it for the summer.
Of course, we got to fire casey, he won't bring this team to the next level, we need to find some one to address our weakness, I like the ex thunder coach, Scott Brook, if he is available, sign him and see what he can do with lowry, DeRozan and JV

The Raps need to do the exact opposite of what you're saying
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#44 » by sh00n » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:28 am

And all this could've been avoided if we just went full tank like a lot of us wanted in the first place. A lot of you guys were saying how fun it would be to be in the playoffs again - has this series been fun? Was the result last year fun?

I would've much rather shipped Lowry out for picks and tanked for Wiggins. I was on that boat in the first place and now a lot of guys that were anti-tank are trying to think of miracle trades to land Wiggins.
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#45 » by No-Man » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:04 am

Lowry for the 6th pick and Stauskas and Thompson, and DeRozan for the 11th and Hill should be no brainers for this franchise, I'd do both without even thinking twice.
You can probably get a late lotto pick, or even the 10th if you trade Ross plus 20th.
monstermash
Freshman
And1: 11

Post#46 » by monstermash » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:38 am

basketball royalty wrote:
AbC? wrote:Even if we played well and beat Washington, if a team is offering a top 10 pick for Demar or Lowry I take it. This team has a very low ceiling.

Really? So any random 10th pick is worth it? I can understand if there is a player on the board that you want to grab and think will be a star you consider doing something like that. But to say that without even knowing what is on the board?

Spurs traded George Hill for a lottery pick that turned into Kawhi Leonard, we have to trade DeRozan or Lowry to do the same?? Is George Hill in the same league as DD and Lowry? Come on people, wasn't our last top ten pick Terrence Ross? Would you trade DD or Lowry for Terrence Ross??

I don't put Masai in the same category as BC, and thank goodness for that! That is one draft that I don't think I will ever get over. Drafting Terrence friggin' Ross, who would have been available in the 20's (or even later), with Drummond right there!!! BC and Casey should have been fired right there, and never have been allowed to hold another NBA job again!!! :banghead:

Answer me this, would you trade DD or Lowry for Drummond? I know I would, any and every day of the week!!! :D
Vince_Carter15
Pro Prospect
And1: 862

Post#47 » by Vince_Carter15 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:07 pm

Live Free wrote:no thanks, its not time to blow it up. Masai just gotta make the right trades (bye Ross) and make a splash in FA

Exactly, even if he doesn't go all out this off-season which I kind of hope he does. I personally believe he wants a big free-agent in. A massive inside presence. But if he doesn't do much this off-season beside shuffle a few pieces around and fires casey. That just shows the patience the man has. Not giving in for short term success but instead going for long-term.
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#48 » by basketball royalty » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:20 pm

sh00n wrote:And all this could've been avoided if we just went full tank like a lot of us wanted in the first place. A lot of you guys were saying how fun it would be to be in the playoffs again - has this series been fun? Was the result last year fun?

I would've much rather shipped Lowry out for picks and tanked for Wiggins. I was on that boat in the first place and now a lot of guys that were anti-tank are trying to think of miracle trades to land Wiggins.

Do we have Dan Gilberts son repping us at the draft lottery? Why would you believe we would get the first pick even if we were the worst team of all time? Don't you know the NBA will only let us win the lottery when it is one of the weakest drafts?

The past two seasons have been fun, right now no its not fun but I still think this team can improve and get better.
props to Turbozone for the sig
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,499

Post#49 » by dagger » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:27 pm

basketball royalty wrote:Stupid. Those trade ideas were stupid. Thanks for putting some thought into it Simmons. I'd do the Ross + pick for Gallo if I couldn't get anything better for the combo though.

I would, too, but the numbers don't work. They'd have to take Vasquez, and I doubt Denver would.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Naija Boy
Banned User
And1: 2,242

Post#50 » by Naija Boy » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:40 pm

Bill is funny.
mieshpal
Veteran
And1: 2,006

Post#51 » by mieshpal » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:51 pm

Stopped reading after George Hill and the number 1 pick for DD smh.

People don't realize that this guy is developing in a crappy system. I would love to see DD used like a Rip Hamilton was in Det and see how productive he would be.

Majority of the time that DD gets the ball in the right spots something good happens, but our system doesn't force these players to move the ball, move around in general( cut/set screens) to create good looks and play with a more authoritative tempo.

If this team played a quicker pace we would be giving wash a lot of trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Squintz21
Sophomore
And1: 110

Post#52 » by Squintz21 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:30 pm

sh00n wrote:And all this could've been avoided if we just went full tank like a lot of us wanted in the first place. A lot of you guys were saying how fun it would be to be in the playoffs again - has this series been fun? Was the result last year fun?

I'm sick of this revisionist nonsense. As other posters have said, you really think we would have won the draft lottery? Not a chance. Even if we had of full-on tanked we would have probably ended up with a 6-10 pick at the best and goddamn Raymond Felton as our point guard. Would you enjoy that more? So then we can not make the playoffs and still be a perpetual treadmill team that is completely unwatchable? Tanking is as risky as going for it, especially for us. Remember even when we had the 1st pick and got Bargnani out of the deal? Even if we had of tanked I'm sure posters would come out saying we were tanking wrong and find something else to complain about.

We did what we did and we can't change that. Looking at the what could have been past is not only a waste of your time, it probably upsets you more than just living in the here and now.
kidr1211
RealGM
And1: 18,189

Post#53 » by kidr1211 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:51 pm

Collison stauskas and #6 for lowry lol? I wish
TorontoSlaptors
Junior
And1: 319

Post#54 » by TorontoSlaptors » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:55 pm

I'd do any of these trades in a heartbeat sigh
Please check out our YouTube channel if you get a chance! Raptors all day! - Thumbhais
artsncrafts
RealGM
And1: 25,039

Re: 

Post#55 » by artsncrafts » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:17 pm

J-Roc wrote:How do we get Drew Gooden. That kid looks like a future all-star. Just needs a starting role.

Future all-star? That young buck is a future multiple MVP winner
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:What if the 10 incher was overrated and the 4 incher was too small for any playing time, but the 7 incher was a perfect fit for our roster and the 5 incher was good for specific situations, like backdoor cuts?
jonny three time
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,246

Post#56 » by jonny three time » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:49 pm

In all fairness to what Simmons is saying though, DD and Lowry won't have as much trade value as people expect. Lowry has really only had one healthy and highly productive season in his career (last year). Derozan is still a scorer who might not be able to compliment a true superstar (can't space, meh D) and still hasn't shown he can carry a team, especially when it counts. He's also a year away from commanding a ridiculous contract and we all know that non-max players who get max deals aren't that valued as assets.

Lowry could bring a good return because of his contract, but it won't be a Kings ransom, while DDs actual value is likely quite weak. People should accept this.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,147

Post#57 » by og15 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:10 pm

Rhettmatic wrote:Also this:

Q: I am a big fan … but I lost a chunk of my fandom when you let me down. I just found out that the newly-minted sixth man, Lou Williams had two hot girlfriends at the same time. How did I not get this information from you first? You should be on top on these stuff, mate! C’mon!
—Chris, Sydney

BS: Get ready to lose an even bigger chunk of fandom — I had no idea that Lou Williams had two girlfriends. Doesn’t this make sense, though? Lou Williams is really two basketball players — there’s the Lou Williams who single-handedly sways games à la Jamal Crawford, and then there’s the Lou Williams who models his game after a poor man’s hybrid of Randy Foye and Dion Waiters and has absolutely no problem going 4-for-18. Maybe each of those guys needed their own lady. Now we need to arrange a quadruple date with Good Lou Williams, Bad Lou Williams, Rajon Rondo and Rick Rondo.

That second player sounds just like Jamal Crawford too.

Game 1: 7/10 FG, 3/4 3PT
Game 2: 4/13 FG, 1/7 3PT
Game 3: 1/11 FG, 0/3 3PT

Nothing special about being Jamal Crawford when the playoffs roll around
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#58 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:13 pm

og15 wrote:

Q: I am a big fan … but I lost a chunk of my fandom when you let me down. I just found out that the newly-minted sixth man, Lou Williams had two hot girlfriends at the same time. How did I not get this information from you first? You should be on top on these stuff, mate! C’mon!
—Chris, Sydney

BS: Get ready to lose an even bigger chunk of fandom — I had no idea that Lou Williams had two girlfriends. Doesn’t this make sense, though? Lou Williams is really two basketball players — there’s the Lou Williams who single-handedly sways games à la Jamal Crawford, and then there’s the Lou Williams who models his game after a poor man’s hybrid of Randy Foye and Dion Waiters and has absolutely no problem going 4-for-18. Maybe each of those guys needed their own lady. Now we need to arrange a quadruple date with Good Lou Williams, Bad Lou Williams, Rajon Rondo and Rick Rondo.

I posted about this a while ago and Raps fans shut me down. I said look at guys like Jr Smith, Lou Williams, Crawford etc stats in the playoffs over their career, even posted the stats for them. I remember checking it on bball ref, don't think a single one of those guys has posted an above average TS% in the playoffs one time.

Those boom or bust type players are great in the regular season when everything's going well, but you can't rely on them in the postseason when defenses tighten up.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,147

Post#59 » by og15 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:20 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
og15 wrote:

I posted about this a while ago and Raps fans shut me down. I said look at guys like Jr Smith, Lou Williams, Crawford etc stats in the playoffs over their career, even posted the stats for them. I remember checking it on bball ref, don't think a single one of those guys has posted an above average TS% in the playoffs one time.

Those boom or bust type players are great in the regular season when everything's going well, but you can't rely on them in the postseason when defenses tighten up.

Jamal Crawford's Clipper playoff career has included being benched after a slow start in the deciding game 6 by two different coaches, having a good series vs the Warriors and what so far is 11.0 ppg / 11.3 FGA / 35.3% FG / 28.6% 3PT / .456 TS%. Yea, wouldn't get too excited about him, maybe if he brought something significant as a playmaker or defender, but if Lou Williams high is becoming more like Crawford, then he isn't necessarily accomplishing anything more than now.
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#60 » by basketball royalty » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:24 pm

Not that I like Greavis much but last year he was a great 6th man because he can in looking to pass and made some big shots when needed. He was much more valuable last year than him and Lou combined this year.
props to Turbozone for the sig

Return to Toronto Raptors